Home Depot selling BOBs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot selling BOBs

Bilbo Bagins
07-20-2011, 12:17
I was in Home Depot and I noticed a 3 day / 2 person survival backpack. Its basically filled with mainstay/mayday food rations, water boxes, a first kit and other stuff for $39.99. It was in a tiny Dora the Explorer size backpack, and when I heft it it was about 5lb. The big problem is the food and water rations are not enough to last 2 people 3 days. The kit has two 2400 calorie rations and six 8.45oz water boxes. That breaks down to 8.45 ounces of water and 800 calories a day. Nice try, but its a fail. It might make a decent one man kit if you strap on an extra bottle of water to it.

http://www.homedepot.com/Ready-America/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ5aw/R-202218032/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/43/4386bc9d-6b70-4ca9-979c-ad874733fb2e_300.jpg

MajorAmby
07-20-2011, 13:17
That should probably say something about the times, but it's still good that prepping is becoming more popular / mainstream. Our grandparents did it, but somehow got lost this generation.

G29Reload
07-20-2011, 13:30
Goes to show the best BOB is one you build yourself.

Real food you like

FAK that's not just bandaids and aspirin

etc.

I guess if you werent in reach of yours and were near a home depot when you saw the mushroom cloud in the distance, you'd take it over not taking it, but other than that...meh...

wjv
07-20-2011, 13:38
Bring it up to the service desk and ask: "What kind of firearm comes with this BOB?"

Read a customer review on the HD site. .

>> The Ready America Grab 'n Go Kit for 2 persons backpack is all that I need in case of a disaster! :rofl:

quake
07-20-2011, 14:06
...but it's still good that prepping is becoming more popular / mainstream. Our grandparents did it, but somehow got lost this generation.

+1 Good to see more emergency-preparedness in mainstream outlets.

Unistat
07-20-2011, 14:09
That should probably say something about the times, but it's still good that prepping is becoming more popular / mainstream. Our grandparents did it, but somehow got lost this generation.

Ahem. I would make that "the previous generation."

I've tried to get my parents to make BOBs considering they live 1/4 mile from a giant chemical plant and have weekly community alert tests, but so far, no luck.

On the other hand, no one my age looks at me even remotely funny when I say the exceedingly goofy words "zombie apocalypse."

quake
07-20-2011, 14:18
Ahem. I would make that "the previous generation."...
Some of us are carryovers from the 'previous generation', and you're not wrong.

G29Reload
07-20-2011, 15:39

Anything that keeps them from looting for additional 18 hours when they realize they're screwed from their meager ripoff bag.

Sometimes I think about starting a kit co that makes REAL kits, except the people that it would appeal to already have a kit they resourcefully built themselves.

wjv
07-20-2011, 16:27
I've tried to get my parents to make BOBs considering they live 1/4 mile from a giant chemical plant and have weekly community alert tests, but so far, no luck.

I think your only choice would be to make some bags for them and then leave them at their house.

I found that you can get some REALLY nice backpacks from the Goodwill store for $3-$6. It might take a couple of trips, or stopping at a couple of stores before you find some that you like.

Pick up two packs. Assume that they will NOT rotate the stock. So in EACH pack put some Mainstay bars and bottled water. Add in an inexpensive LED flashlight, a small & cheap portable radio, batteries still in the package, some paracord, a heatsheet, an inexpensive knife, $5 poncho, inflatable pillow, compass, bug repellent & sun screen if appropriate, and some hard candy.

Maybe even add 2 mountain house meals, some plastic spoons, matches, and an esbit stove plus a metal cup for boiling water in.

That would be about all you could do. . .

eracer
07-20-2011, 16:52
Anything that keeps them from looting for additional 18 hours when they realize they're screwed from their meager ripoff bag.

Sometimes I think about starting a kit co that makes REAL kits, except the people that it would appeal to already have a kit they resourcefully built themselves.Haha. What makes you think that anyone who would loot would wait 18 hours to do so?
:dunno:

Unistat
07-20-2011, 16:56
I think your only choice would be to make some bags for them and then leave them at their house...

I actually think they'll come around in a little bit. Explaining the BOB idea to them as relates to the BASF plant is much more understandable than some other less-likely scenario. My dad is a very practical guy, last year he bought a generator and keeps a decent amount of fuel (with stabilizer) on hand.

My aunt (dad's sister) and uncle are long time preppers, so they are not completely foreign to the concept. Heck, my mom was canning years worth of food back when I was a kid before it was cool.

My dad even has a concealed carry permit now. It's only a matter of time before they see that a basic BOB is a relatively cheap and easy precaution.

Your right about them not rotating the contents though.

Jim in MI
07-20-2011, 17:28
I actually think they'll come around in a little bit. Explaining the BOB idea to them as relates to the BASF plant is much more understandable than some other less-likely scenario. My dad is a very practical guy, last year he bought a generator and keeps a decent amount of fuel (with stabilizer) on hand.

My aunt (dad's sister) and uncle are long time preppers, so they are not completely foreign to the concept. Heck, my mom was canning years worth of food back when I was a kid before it was cool.

My dad even has a concealed carry permit now. It's only a matter of time before they see that a basic BOB is a relatively cheap and easy precaution.

Your right about them not rotating the contents though.

I've made bags for people I knew that I work with/care about who just don't seem to "get it" and when I check the bag is in their trunk where I asked them to put it.

My sister in law told me this year "there is some stuff in there that really comes in handy". No shoot, Sherlock.

G29Reload
07-20-2011, 17:50
Haha. What makes you think that anyone who would loot would wait 18 hours to do so?
:dunno:

The same thing that keeps them reasonable and honest, till they don't have a thing.

hardcore looters will loot at the drop of a hat.

Others avoid it till they can't. this is for them.

fourdeuce2
07-21-2011, 11:31
A few weeks ago, our local Home Depot had a table set up in the front of the store by FEMA. They were giving out information on emergency preparations and building safe rooms. I picked up this book:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/FourDeuce_01/001-1.jpg
You can also download it at FEMA's website.

TangoFoxtrot
07-22-2011, 03:11

On AM talkradio I've noticed the Dept Of Homeland Security is running ads about having at least 3 days of emergency supplies in your home....I kid you not! Whats up with that?

Unistat
07-22-2011, 06:21
On AM talkradio I've noticed the Dept Of Homeland Security is running ads about having at least 3 days of emergency supplies in your home....I kid you not! Whats up with that?

That has been the Fed's stance on preparadness for a long time, even before Katrina.

cyrsequipment
07-22-2011, 06:24

Radio stations are having a hard time selling advertizing these days, so they stick a LOT of PSAs in the commercial rotation.

Big Bird
07-22-2011, 06:35
A crummy BOB is better than no BOB.

Bilbo Bagins
07-22-2011, 06:51
That has been the Fed's stance on preparadness for a long time, even before Katrina.

+1

I think www.ready.gov (http://www.ready.gov) has been around since 2002ish because of 9/11 and the buildup to the Iraq invasion (the Duct Tape and Plastic sheeting days). They were really pushing the advertising after Katrina and there was quite a few billboard for local, state, and national disaster preparedness organizations, with some TV PSAs and TV subject matters.

UneasyRider
07-22-2011, 06:58
A crummy BOB is better than no BOB.

You are so right. An entry level prepper is in better shape than someone who does nothing at all. Plus a lot of people will say "If I am going to do it I can do better than that", and make their own.

azdave
07-22-2011, 08:56
This is excellent, IMO. It is designed to appeal to the people that would typically "have nothing/do nothing" in the way of preps.
Because it doesn't pass muster to die hard preppers here, DOESN'T make this less relevent.
Kinda like gun guys that talk crap about a new gun that comes out.....we live in a country where a company can spit out new guns for US, the public, to try at will....and half the gun community shuns the new piece....saying crap like "an answer to a question never asked", "hope its discontinued", "that company needs to disappear", etc.

Well, just like these kits....although "I" wouldn't buy one, I welcome it and hope it is perfect for someone else....and wish the company success.

fourdeuce2
07-22-2011, 13:16
I also picked up these 2 pamphlets at Home Depot(the FEMA table).
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/FourDeuce_01/001-2.jpg

Good stuff to hand out to unprepared friends and neighbors.:shocked:

Unistat
07-22-2011, 13:26
The city I used to work for (and grew up in, my parents still live there) just mailed out an emergency planning pamphlet to every household in their water bill.

I thought that was pretty cool.

http://www.wyandotte.net/Departments/PublicSafety/EmergencyBrochure.pdf

Another reason I think my parents will get their BOB together soon.

quake
07-22-2011, 15:05
The city I used to work for (and grew up in, my parents still live there)

...www.wyandotte.net...

I grew up not too far north from there. Used to drive to Sarnia (Canada) for dinner occasionally back in the 70's.

Pretty area & big deer, but lots of yankees... :tongueout:

G29Reload
07-22-2011, 18:32
Well i guess if even to the extent that popularizing prepping makes "us" seem less "crazy" or tinfoil hat. Sure. Prep on, home depot. make us normal!

All of us with industrial grade preps...:supergrin:

mac66
07-24-2011, 17:49
The big problem is the food and water rations are not enough to last 2 people 3 days. The kit has two 2400 calorie rations and six 8.45oz water boxes. That breaks down to 8.45 ounces of water and 800 calories a day. Nice try, but its a fail. It might make a decent one man kit if you strap on an extra bottle of water to it.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/43/4386bc9d-6b70-4ca9-979c-ad874733fb2e_300.jpg

Actually two people could survive on that for 3 days. Might be a bit thirsty and hungry but they could survive. It is better than nothing. I agree with adding water though.

TangoFoxtrot
07-25-2011, 02:53

I've never heard these PSA's in my area until recently.

GeorgiaGlockMan
07-25-2011, 07:12
My wife bought a couple of very similar bob bags a couple of years ago.

While the contents may have been lacking, it was a very happy day for me.

My wife has been paying attention for a good while now.

RichJ
07-25-2011, 08:48
Just think of it like a starter kit that will be something to build on, kinda like a basic first aid kit. We all buy first aid kits and then tailor them to our specific needs right? This is sort of the same thing.

Bilbo Bagins
07-25-2011, 08:55
I've never heard these PSA's in my area until recently.

I don't want to pry but are you in the center of the USA. They really push Ready.gov stuff along the coast lines, East coast because of possible terrorism, and Hurricanes, Gulf coast Hurricanes, and West Coast you have the Forest Fires and Earthquakes.

There was a surge of Ready.gov yellow billboards on the Highways back from 2005 to 2008. The best one I seen was near the sports complex in Philly that said, " A disaster seperates you from your family, are you ready?" They are usually plain, with a short and sweet saying and refer you to the website.

http://static.flickr.com/2693/4420328230_9ce507e9f6_z.jpg

I'm glad there is an up-tick of Ready.gov stuff since Obama got into office. I wonder if its just government doing its job as usual, or perhaps they want us to be "prepared" for something that is coming soon?

Unistat
07-25-2011, 09:02
http://static.flickr.com/2693/4420328230_9ce507e9f6_z.jpg

I'm glad there is an up-tick of Ready.gov stuff since Obama got into office. I wonder if its just government doing its job as usual, or perhaps they want us to be "prepared" for something that is coming soon?

The best part of this photo is the Left 4 Dead billboard in the background.

Subliminal messages of preparing for the Zombie apocalypse, FTW!

RMTactical
07-25-2011, 21:53

agreed.

Bravo 1
07-26-2011, 04:19
Personally, I think this is a great thing. Anytime I see something like this in a store I smile for some reason.

The general population is 3 meals away from anarchy.

While they are figuring out the repercussions of what just happened,

others, will be following their "shtf plan".

I am really glad I am FAR way from metropolitan areas.

pugman
07-26-2011, 06:32

The Milwaukee area had these run for the better part of two years; I wonder if they are somehow running them by state, time zone, etc.

I say this because I haven't heard one in over 6 months.

You will see more of these packs and hear more of these ads as 12/21/12 approaches; even the coming apocalypse can't stop someone from making a buck on it right up to the very end.

I think the DHS telling people to have at least three days of supplies is irresponsible at the very least...like FEMA will be there with catered meals and tankers full of fresh clean water within three days.

Ironically, it amazes me how few people even have three days worth of food in their house. Something happens tomorrow, people won't "get it" for at least a week; by this time the food will already be gone.

Three months is more like it....at the very minimum

quake
07-26-2011, 08:10
...I think the DHS telling people to have at least three days of supplies is irresponsible at the very least...
I suspect a big part of their thought is (as you say), few people even have three days' worth of food in their house. Three days is very weak, but it's (unfortunately) still a big improvement for a large part of the population.

And three days' supply will actually handle a large percentage of the situations where people find themselves suddenly needing it. Tornadoes, ice storms, etc - many, if not most, are three day or less events until service is restored or help arrives. Not saying three days is any kind of goal to shoot for, just saying that if everybody had even just that three days' worth, those events would be a lot less of an ordeal than they now are. I know I'd prefer it if everyone in the nation followed even that simple (and admittedly weak) advice.