ssh and x windows [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ssh and x windows

Linux3
07-20-2011, 15:43
I didn't want to hijack IGF's other thread, well more than already done, so I started a new one.

ssh and x windows. There is nothing better IMHO to manage multiple computers whether in the home or office.

You need both the openssh-server and openssh-client. Openssh is an open implementation of Secure SHell. That is from one computer you can shell into another system. Open a terminal (shell) and type commands and with a *nix system things happen. Real men don't do windows. OK, now;

linux3@45acp:~$ ssh linux3@9mm <enter>
After entering my passwd I would be in effect 'sitting at 9mm'. I'm local on that system and I can do anything I have permission to do. Great for management and way, way faster than VNC.

But it gets better.
Before I ssh into 9mm

linux3@45acp:~$ xhost 9mm <enter> ; I have now given 9mm permission to open the display on my system, 45acp.

linux3@45acp:~$ ssh linux3@9mm <enter>
OK, now I'm on 9mm right.
linux3@9mm:~$ firefox & <enter>
And now firefox will open and run on the display on 45acp but it's the configuration and such from my account on 9mm. Or whichever account you ssh'd into. It doesn't have to be you, you just need the username and passwd.

You can run any gui from 9mm and have it appear on 45acp. You don't need to remote the whole desktop, just what you want / need.

This is the joy of the client/server program that is xwindows and life would not be as sweet without it.

When my mother calls and says her printer isn't working correctly I can ssh into her system and run system-configuration-printer and see what she's messed with now. I can run the display manager or anything and check the system out.

Fast, fast.

Want to move some files between systems?
Open a shell and
linux3@45acp:~$ sftp linux3@9mm <enter>
The simple 'get' and 'put' commands move files around.

I can manage 30 desktop systems by opening 30 shells, one per, on my desktop and then a simple cut and paste of commands into the shells and I've upgraded or whatever on all of them.

filthy infidel
07-20-2011, 18:44
Now my head hurts. :wavey:

IndyGunFreak
07-20-2011, 19:34
I've never really understood SSH..

I don't see anywhere, where you've told it where linux3@9mm is. I'm assuming you'd need an IP address, or something.

IGF

Linux3
07-21-2011, 05:56
I've never really understood SSH..
I don't see anywhere, where you've told it where linux3@9mm is. I'm assuming you'd need an IP address, or something. IGF
Correct. I assign long term leases to my home network and at my job the IP addresses are fixed.
You can assign fixed IP addresses to your small network but I find long leases easier and basically I'm lazy.

So IP addresses go in /etc/hosts
root@45acp:~$ cat /etc/hosts
192.168.2.10 45acp
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 45acp localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
127.0.1.1 45acp
192.168.2.8 9mm
192.168.2.6 380acp
#######################

In the case of a DHCP network and at work where there are lots of systems then you edit
/etc/resolv.conf
root@45acp:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.2.1
###################
So my nameserver knows all the systems in my home network and knows a nameserver above itself. In the case of a home network my server would ask Time Warner for any IP addresses outside of it's scope.

Lets say at work the network I manage is foo and I work for company bar.
Then my system name would be;
45acp.foo.bar.com 45acp
Full name simple name

I would have a nameserver for the subnet 'foo'.
If it could not resolve it would look at 'bar', the company nameserver and of course it would look at a .com server.