Gold coins still being taken by Fed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gold coins still being taken by Fed

Bilbo Bagins
07-21-2011, 12:02
Here is a story out of Philly for you Gold bugs.

Rare 1933 Double Eagle gold coins were found in an old safety deposit box by the daughter of an old jeweler that passed away. Since all the gold coins that year where confiscated and melted down, they are VERY valuable.

The US Gov't says....:shame:...they should have never left the mint, they should be turned over to us.

No, no ....So Sorry...no gold for you.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Heirs-Lose-Fight-With-Government-to-Keep-Dads-Rare-1933-Gold-Coins-125908579.html

Atlas
07-21-2011, 12:14
Here is a story out of Philly for you Gold bugs.

Rare 1933 Double Eagle gold coins were found in an old safety deposit box by the daughter of an old jeweler that passed away. Since all the gold coins that year where confiscated and melted down, they are VERY valuable.

The US Gov't says....:shame:...they should have never left the mint, they should be turned over to us.

No, no ....So Sorry...no gold for you.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Heirs-Lose-Fight-With-Government-to-Keep-Dads-Rare-1933-Gold-Coins-125908579.html

How valuable are they?

crimsonaudio
07-21-2011, 12:19
How valuable are they?

Fromt he article:
But Joan Langbord, the daughter of a Philadelphia jeweler, said she found the 10 coins in her father's bank deposit bank after he died.

She said that her father could have acquired them legally, perhaps through a trade of gold scrap.

One 1933 double eagle sold for $7.6 million in 2002.

Atlas
07-21-2011, 12:23
That poor woman no doubt wishes very much she had kept silent about this.

crimsonaudio
07-21-2011, 12:28
That poor woman no doubt wishes very much she had kept silent about this.

Yah., no doubt.

G29Reload
07-21-2011, 13:11
Well this isn't about gold ownership, its about theft, potentially.

If they were wrongfully removed from govt possession, i guess the .gov has every right to retrieve them unless there's some statute of limitations.

If I had them and any idea this would happen, I would have offshored them, gone to europe and sold them on the international market. Maybe Switzerland.

No tip required. Keep it.

NDCent
07-21-2011, 13:21
I don't understand why people don't find 1 or 2 rare gold coins instead of 10. After you see what plays out you can always discover 8 or 9 more if it's beneficial.

Atlas
07-21-2011, 17:35
I don't understand why people don't find 1 or 2 rare gold coins instead of 10. After you see what plays out you can always discover 8 or 9 more if it's beneficial.

:cool:

walangkatapat
07-21-2011, 17:38
that poor woman no doubt wishes very much she had kept silent about this.

+1,000,000

michael e
07-21-2011, 17:49
No way in hell I would have let them have my property. They said they shouldnt have left the mint, not that they never let some leave. We all know the government makes mistakes and this sounds like one they didnt want to admit to.

pugman
07-21-2011, 17:54
You see there was this terrible accident where all my gold and silver coins along with all my guns fell out of my boat....

Atlas
07-21-2011, 17:56
You see there was this terrible accident where all my gold and silver coins along with all my guns fell out of my boat....

Same thing happened to me, what a coincidence!!!
Boating can be hazardous.

G29Reload
07-21-2011, 18:39
If that wasnt all comical enough, the govt has moved them to the repository at Ft Knox for safekeeping.

16,000 bucks worth that could have been locked in a marshall's filing cabinet.

Ok, so they could be worth several hundred million. I guess they didnt want to be liable if they lost the case.

Glock940
07-21-2011, 20:00
If the gov did move them to Ft Knox then you can be sure that they are lost now.

gotplastic
07-23-2011, 17:13
They confiscated currency that was stolen from the mint. It just happened to be gold. Now let's see how we can turn this into a conspiracy.

kirgi08
07-24-2011, 00:00
How do they know there stolen.'08.

G29Reload
07-24-2011, 08:18
How do they know there stolen.'08.

The year and mint mark. I think the deal is, they may have started production on that years run and had not released it yet when the order came thru to melt them all and some enterprising collector talked a mint employee into having an unfortunate boating accident for a handful, perhaps even greasing his palm a bit.

These unfortunate boating accidents happen, they should let it go. :whistling:

G29Reload
07-24-2011, 08:21
No way in hell I would have let them have my property.

When some Raylan Givens type with a badge and some of his friends show up at your business, especially if they have a warrant, there's not a lot you can do.

Jim in MI
07-24-2011, 16:15
There is a book about this (this being 1933 double eagles) called "Illegal Tender"

The US mint never released a 1933 gold coin to the public.

They DID give 2 to the Smithsonian, then the order came to hold/melt/whatever by FDR.

Somehow someone stole some 1933 coins from the mint, most likely a guard.

One ended up in a a rich Egytptian's collection. A whole lot of razzle dazzle later and the US gov't "released" that 1 1933 double eagle, making it legal to own, and that 1 1933 double eagle is the one the auction mentions.

It has been rumored there were a few more out there, and some moron gave them back to the US gov't by notifying them.

The US gov't considers them stolen property.

PRIVATE collectors with discretion and money would have given their left you know what to have a 1933 double eagle, even if it was illegal to own.

gotplastic
07-24-2011, 18:41
No way in hell I would have let them have my property. They said they shouldnt have left the mint, not that they never let some leave. We all know the government makes mistakes and this sounds like one they didnt want to admit to.

Don't steal and you won't have to worry about it. thou shalt not....

by all indications this POS was stealing from us; so I'm glad they got them back.

mac66
07-25-2011, 12:25
Don't ask, don't tell.