Wireless network for my TV [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network for my TV

Ragnar
07-21-2011, 16:30
I currently have a wireless network in the house and just got a TV that is wifi capable. I can connect it to the internet with a wifi dongle (Samsung proprietary model for about $60-70) or with a standard ethernet cable.

So I'd like to avoid buying a special wifi dongle (yes, I already tried a belkin and a linksys and they dont work in the Samsung TV) and use the ethernet cable.

I have an extra wireless router (linksys WRT54G) lying around, can I just plug it in the wall (for power) next to the TV and then cable it to the TV? Wouldn't it just act as an access point if I do that? Or am I thinking wrong?

grokdesigns
07-21-2011, 17:05
What you're wanting to set up is WDS (Wireless Distribution System). Plug your WRT54G in, update the firmware, the latest stock firmware should support WDS. Be aware that this will effectively cut the network speed of any devices plugged into the extension router in half. Unless you have really fast internet or are trying to stream from devices on the other side of the WDS, you shouldn't run into many issues.

If you're feeling adventurous, install DD-WRT on your WRT54G, it's much more advanced and supports WDS as well.

GAFinch
07-21-2011, 18:12
Setting up two routers on the same network is a pain if they're not both the same model. It'd probably end up being quicker to just run an ethernet cable through your attic or crawlspace, just make sure the cable is at a 90 degree angle to any electrical cables.

handyman
07-21-2011, 19:49
I have not used one but netgear has the powerline networking units.