Dual purpose Glock: defense & competition? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dual purpose Glock: defense & competition?

snowbird.40
07-22-2011, 07:31
Mas - I know you are a BIG proponent of keeping carry guns bone stock in case you ever have to use one and wind up in court defending yourself.

However, what if your primary CCW is also your primary competition gun? I am thinking of making my new Gen 4 Model 23 just such a weapon. A few years ago when I was shooting the 9mm platform, I had a G34 with the 3.5/4.5 connector and a Wolff competition spring kit installed. I also installed a Heinie Slant Pro rear sight and a Dawson fiber optic front sight. In an email you advised against putting the spring kit and lighter connector in a G26 because of the potential issue of defense in court after a righteous shooting. So I just changed the sights on the G26 and left the innards stock.

If I make the changes in my armory that my wife is suggesting since our recent retirement (she thinks we should have FEWER guns around the house, not more), then I would like to install the extended slide lock release, the Heinie/Dawson sight combination and I would really love to drop in the Wolff springs and a 3.5 connector for the G23, which would become my ONLY Glock. I shoot IDPA at least every other month and am currently in the SharpShooter classification in SSP, about 8 seconds shy of making Expert, so that is my goal ... to make Expert. (I think Master is probably out of reach in my advancing years, but who knows.)

So if the G23 becomes my only Glock for competition, home defense and my primary CCW, would I still have a major issue in court? Can't a person argue that they are being more responsible by proving their marksmanship on a regular basis with the gun they carry or use for HD?

I always appreciate your thoughtful responses to my minor dilemmas.

Mas Ayoob
07-22-2011, 20:04
The only mod you mention that concerns me is the light trigger. While you can certainly make the point that shooting in competition shows you're responsible about maximizing your skills to make yourself a safer gun-carrier, it doesn't do anything to change the light trigger issues. (If you haven't seen it, there's a long thread with all the arguments from both sides on this topic, stickied at Carry Issues.)

Have you tried shooting a few matches with the stock connector? Many people actually prefer it over the 3.5 for its cleaner break and slightly faster reset. It would be the quickest and most effective answer to your question, IMHO.

best,
Mas

snowbird.40
07-22-2011, 20:34
Thanks Mas. I've not shot this particular gun in competition yet, but I've run about 200 rounds through it and it seems like the trigger is getting progressively smoother, with the crisp break and reset you described. Perhaps just making the earlier modifications with springs and sights will suffice, especially if I go to the extended slide release.

I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.