No Body to See it! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No Body to See it!

STI
07-22-2011, 09:11
I was deer hunting and my friends and they had not come in yet, I saw 2 bucks the biggest I ever say myself in the wild and got my rifle and crawled on my belly to a ditch to get cover peeked over it and there they were, but very far off from me, along way. I used my coat for elevation and a rest on the lip of the ditch as I was prone, I held 1 complete deer body over him and fired, he fell like a rock with a perfect shoulder shot, I was shooting a W model 70 in 300 win mag with 180 gr Sierra boat tail splitzers, I wish I knew how far it was, the drop was 1-1/2 deer body to where it hit the shoulder. a very clean kill. When my friends helped me get it they could not believe I shot so far, it seemed that we just keep going and going to get to him.

Just something to read here.......

Triple7
07-22-2011, 09:13
Nice brag post.......pics or it's a lie.

pac201
07-22-2011, 09:20
Nice brag post.......pics or it's a lie.

^^^^^ :supergrin:

STI
07-22-2011, 09:29
All I have to show for it is the rifle and horns mounted, its just one of those once in a lifetime shots you make that only you know what happened. I had perfect conditions, rest and great background hi lighted by the evening sun. The biggest thing was which one to shoot at. This was not intended as a brag post at all, sorry I posted it if it was taken that way, we had been talking of once in a lifetime shots and this was mine.

Dalton Wayne
07-22-2011, 09:43
Congrats on a great shot, when I was sixteen I missed a buck that the next guy over got after it ran from my missed shot's 50 yards with a old shotgun.
It's still in the Michigan record books as one of the biggest bucks shot in Michigan :faint:

STI
07-22-2011, 11:16
Thanks its just something I will never forget, the horns are still on my wall in the den, just a large 8 point but my largest. I still have the M70 also, although it has not been shot in yrs.
I am sure someone could tell me with that much drop the approx distance it was. My ammo was about 2750-2800fps I think, just a guess there.

smokeross
07-22-2011, 16:17
I recently used Google Earth to measure the distance of a shot I did on a moose years ago. It was at the other end of the lake we were camped on. I nailed it 5 of 7 shots. 300 Win mag in a Sako rifle. High magnification scope. Zeroed at 300 yards. The lake was as smooth as glass. The shot(s) were 775 yards.
Congrats on your good (lucky?) shooting.

STI
07-22-2011, 17:34
Very much lucky!

Big Bird
07-29-2011, 10:10
A big deer body is about 18 inches top to bottom. If you held 36 inches over and hit the deer in the vitals you were around 500-600 yards. Most magnums can be zeroed to shoot max point blank--point of aim on a deer out to about 310 yards.

My come up on a 30-06 at 600 yards from a 200 yard zero was exactly 6 minutes or about 36 inches. That was with a 168 grain bullet doing about 2650 fps.

500 yards is a REALLY long shot on a deer and most scope reticles would cover the entire chest area of the deer.