TACP Knowledge. Anyone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : TACP Knowledge. Anyone?

ZachMiller
07-22-2011, 19:49
I am a 17 year student enlisted in the United States Air Force. I know almost everything there is for me to know about TACP, I have been to Romad's website and I just couldn't really dig up what I was looking for. What I want to know is how hard is TACP training? This is coming from a very athletic cross country runner who takes the PAST in 4 days and will have zero problem completing that. I'm guessing it's difficult but I would like to know really how tough it is and what skills will I majorly acquire? I know I will be a master land navigator and whatnot, but what else? Because I want to know if I should try and go to Ranger School after TACP training if it isn't as hard as I thought. I want to learn things such as CQC combat with Hand to Hand and I do live in the middle of the woods so what I do for fun is shoot guns but I'd still like to become a very quick shooter and have excellent reflexes. Does TACP stress this much on their soldiers? Or should I consider maybe try taking additional training to improve those skills? My main goal is to fly fight and win, but I also want to be one tough son of a ***** to kill. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you men and women,

Trainee Zach Miller (I have not gone to basic yet..4 more months)

AF-Odin
07-23-2011, 10:06
Zach

Your main weapon will be your communications gear. If you are using your personal weapon or in HTH things are really ********d up. Your initial job will be working with you JTAC or ALO to get the aircraft into the proper position, get the target identified and get the bomb on target. Later, when you become a JTAC, you will be the one directing the aircraft to get the bombs on the bad guys and keep the good guys safe. Physical fitness is a must as you don't want the Army guys you are working with to be able to diss you for being an AF wienie. In addition to being in good (or better) physical condition you will need to be very familiar and comfortable with the M-4 and the M-9, able to keep your vehicle properly maintained and running, an expert at land nav, and when the JTAC or ALO sticks out his hand, be able to give him the radio handset with the radio on the correct frequency, correct COMSEC properly keyed, and perhaps even initial contact with the incoming strike flight accomplished.

Most 1C4s serve with regular, line Army units. Those that serve with Ranger or SF units have had some experience previously. If you want to start out high speed, try and get assigned to the ASOS at Ft Bragg supporting the 82nd. that way you will definitely get to jump school. If you can't get to the 82nd and don't mind humping a ruck, weapon, plus all your required commo gear, might consider Ft Drum (10th Mountain Division), or Ft Campbell (101st Air Assault)

Up until 2002, the 1C4 and ALO community were frequently looked at as a backwater for the AF. However, now, not only the Army, but the rest of the AF have a very high regard for this career field of Battlefield Airmen.

Good luck, keep a good attitude and listen and learn. The 1C4s I worked with were some of the most motivated and resourceful Airmen I ever worked with.

ZachMiller
07-23-2011, 23:29
Thank you very much for your response. I have been waiting and this helps me out a lot. What I was told is that there are times when becoming a JTAC and more than likely with a Ranger for SF unit, you will come across multiple firefights. I am very comfortable with small arms rifles such as the M-4. But I do have another question for you. Say after TACP training, I heard rumors of them allowing extra training of some sorts. I would be interested in Ranger school because I heard it was offered. But would taking any of that extra training help me in getting in a Ranger or SF unit by any chances? Or how does that work? Also, could you explain more to me on how to possibly get into the ASOS at Ft Bragg? I would greatly appreciate it as you definitely know much more than I do.

Thank you for your time sir,

Zach Miller

AF-Odin
07-24-2011, 08:10
Zach

Every class of 1C4 Tech Training is different and requirements change. School slots are based on the needs of the Air Force. Sometimes, there are opportunities for additional schools straight out of Tech School or they may be a prerequisite for a particular assignment such as jump school to go to the 14th ASOS with the 82nd. Additionally, once you get to a squadron, there are training opportunities that come down such as Air Assault School, Air Force Survival School, even saw a SCUBA School slot once. The more schooling you get the more valuable you become to the AF and all of that counts when trying to get into a high speed unit. There are two key elements to getting the training that is available in addition to Tech School--ATTITUDE and CLASS STANDING. These two things will stand you in good stead whatever course you find yourself on. The AF does not want to send the guy that barely graduated from Tech School to the separate Airborne Brigade in Vincenza, Italy.

In Tech School, become a sponge for all the information your instructors are putting out. Ask relevent questions, master every task that is taught. Study hard and do as well as you possibly can on the tests. Keep a good attitude and "bloom where you are planted." Stay away from anything that even resembles or comes close to drugs. When you are allowed to legally drink, do so only in moderation and never drive after more than one drink. Nothing will ruin a career faster than drugs or an alcohol related incident. Watch your money and don't get into too much debt. It is hard to send the guy off to the 6+ weeks of Ranger School if he is the guy that isn't responsible enough to make his car payment on time--yes, the First Sergeant, Ops Superintendent, and Sq Commander know about all those things

In my career, I was assigned to nine different locations in a total of 12 different assignments/moves (was assigned to a couple of places twice), not to mention TDY/deployment to well more than a dozen different overseas locations (enough time to get credit for another overseas assignment). Each one had good things (even if it was just the learning experience of how much Khartum, Sudan s*****). Only twice in that time, did I get what was originally my first choice assignment. The key to a good assignment is the people you are with, how much you learn, and grow in the assignment. Be confident in your abilities, but not bragging about it. The motto for the 22nd Infantry Regiment spells it out--"DEEDS NOT WORDS."

Good luck as you enter my Air Force--and I still stand by the old motto of "Our mission is to FLY, FIGHT, and WIN. Don't ever forget it."

ZachMiller
07-24-2011, 09:27
AF Odin

I extremely appreciate your time and answers sir. This is exactly what information I was looking for. It's for the people like you that inspire me, that I will give it my all, and will be at the top. I will never let a fellow Airmen down and I will take all your advice and do the best that anyone could do.

To me, it sounds like there's a lot of options, and if you do good at Tech School, those options become a huge reality. So I will do my best and even if I don't get exactly what I wanted the first try I will try later on in my career. I will continue to take as many training's and schools as possible while I can as well.

Thank you very much sir,

Zach Miller

ZachMiller
07-24-2011, 18:37
Also if anyone has anything to add I would greatly appreciate all the feedback i could get. I got a lot from AF-Odin but I'm sure there is much more to learn. I really would like to get into a high speed unit but I'm not entirely sure if there's much I can do about that other than keep my **** together. If anyone has anymore advice please post!

Thanks,

Zach Miller

ZachMiller
07-26-2011, 21:43
Well I'm TACP PAST Certified. Next Step is basic...counting the days down!

meeko
07-30-2011, 20:41
Also if anyone has anything to add I would greatly appreciate all the feedback i could get. I got a lot from AF-Odin but I'm sure there is much more to learn. I really would like to get into a high speed unit but I'm not entirely sure if there's much I can do about that other than keep my **** together. If anyone has anymore advice please post!

Thanks,

Zach Miller

It will not happen overnight or in a few weeks. BE PATENT ! It will take commitment and it could take several years. You are young and have a lot of time to gain experience, use that time. it will come. Remember most troops in the high speed SF units age range in the late 20's after years of experience. The other classes like Ranger etc will come. Most folks assigned there had to EARN it.
Good Luck :patriot:

Morris
07-31-2011, 06:17
Zach,

Falcon 33 here.

Start here: www.romad.com . It's our board for the career field.

But let's start at the beginning. Brother Odin gave you some spot on pointers. Best I can add is that go in with an open mind and a shut mouth. Absorb. Get good at your foundation. Know your (stuff) at the basic level before you try for the HSLD part. You are first and foremost a radio operator. Make sure your radio and commo gear skill sets are solid. Get good EPRs. Keep a positive attitude. Then start for the follow-on schools. You may be a physically fit SOB but if you can't hump a heavy ruck or keep your head on square when in a hot environment, you will not work out.

The career field has come a long way from pre-9/11. I enjoyed my time, even if ANG. But should I go back, I would have done a better job at hanging with my radio repair tech because being well versed in commo means a better ROMAD in the field.

Get a few years under your belt. Get your basics solid. Then go forward for the cool stuff. Every "special operator" started at the bottom.

MrMurphy
08-01-2011, 05:53
Not a TACP, I was Security Forces, but i've known quite a few of them.

Remember, a lot of it is mental. You can be in the best shape but if mentally you give up? All over. Seen it.

ZachMiller
08-01-2011, 07:48
Thank you for your responses men! I agree with all of you. I do agree that it has a lot to do mentally, but as Morris said, if I can't hold my own in the heat, I'm no use to them, I am a very small guy. 5'10" 150lbs. About 5% body fat. That's tiny, but I will make sure I do my part. I will gain a lot of muscle I believe in the next year, as of now my max bench press is about 185lbs and i'm hoping to raise that a lot so I can compete with Special Operatives over the world.

Also, I agree with you guys on the fact that I need to start a foundation for myself, make that foundation wide before I make it tall. I will do my best at BMT and at TACP School, but I have been thinking and think I will do my best to get my basic knowledge down as a TACP and get that job up to 110% before I move onto more high speed training.

If any of you men have any other suggestions, I'm begging you to post them, I honestly want to make myself the best I can be, and if it weren't for you fine people, I may have already been trying to go too far too fast.

Thanks,

Zach Miller

ZachMiller
08-01-2011, 14:25
But basically what most of you guys have told me is to build up as much knowledge as I can on the actual TACP job, then when I'm a master land nav. and an expert in my radio comms. then let the opportunities start filling in the empty spaces? I know this could take several years, but I just really want to make sure I make the best decisions for myself and the best way for me to do that is learn from others. Please keep posting!

Thanks,

Zach Miller

Morris
08-01-2011, 18:56
This is long term, not shake and bake. Build the foundation first.

ZachMiller
08-01-2011, 20:09
Yes sir, I understand exactly what you mean! I will make sure I build my foundation very wide and strong before I start on the advancement process. Thank you.

Please keep the posts coming!

Thanks,

Zach Miller

MDLibertarian
08-01-2011, 20:29
Zach,

Here's are two links to Air Force Times articles about the field: AETC aims to lower war-zone job washouts (http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2010/05/airforce_critical_skills_051410/) and Course introduces airmen to the battlefield (http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2011/01/air-force-course-introduces-airmen-to-battlefield-012211w/).

I've never served with a TACP or anything remotely similar, but one of my close friends served as one for over eight years who basically said the same things about the field that has already been covered. For what little I have to add to the discussion you'll be able to earn quite a few of the Army's "merit badges" like the ones you've asked about. You should have a better than average chance of attending Ranger School as well since many of the slots aren't being filled do to the large number of otherwise eligible soldiers who are deployed. Here's an article about that: Ranger School throws doors open to airmen (http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2010/11/af-ranger-school-opens-doors-111210w/). My friend had a JTAC in his unit who also graduated from both the Army's sniper and SCUBA schools. Also, if you ever have the desire to become an officer the Air Force has recently started a career ALO program for non-rated officers, i.e., the non-zipper suited sun-god types, that will allow you to continue in this field making a much better salary. Here's an article about it: Push for ALO career field gets new vigor (http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/05/airforce_ALO_career_050409/).

ZachMiller
08-02-2011, 06:19
Wow I greatly appreciate the post MDLibertarian, I'm very glad to know that those options are still there even though it may take some years. I will still build my foundation and absorb all the knowledge I can, but if an opportunity arrises then i might have to atleast go for it. Thank you sir,

I'm going to read some of those articles.

Thanks,

Zach Miller

ZachMiller
08-02-2011, 16:44
Also, Would anyone be able to clear up the fog on a Special Tactics Officer? I'm going to start researching that but it looks like TACP has the lowest wash out rate at 44% and I don't really want to prolong my career as just a TACP for 18years, I definitely want to do TACP for multiple years. Especially if I get into a Ranger of SF unit. But maybe when it starts to get passed 15years I wanted to know if Special Tactics Officer is a job worth looking into for a later career.

I might be sounding dumb right now because I'm not sure what a Special Tactics Officer does but if anyone could give me some pointers on it and anything else TACP related please post. I know I'm definitely not the only guy in the world curious about TACP.

Thanks again,

Zach Miller

Morris
08-02-2011, 18:27
Frankly, you need to pose these questions over at www.romad.com . You will get career folks, school house instructors and the like. Fair warning: come in quiet, ask smart questions and keep it positive.

Spike 7.62
08-02-2011, 20:59
One of my best friends is a TACP, he completed one tour in Afghanistan and is going back in February. It is not an easy job he does, good luck.

ZachMiller
08-03-2011, 07:17
Alright thankyou guys! I will probably open up a thread over at Romad's website now since I have a pretty good knowledge of everything and won't be a total moron when asking questions. Thanks again for everything men! If there's anything else feel free to ask! I will remain to look at this thread for new posts!

Thanks,

Zach Miller

meeko
08-03-2011, 08:04
Zach, We all understand your motivation and that is good. As far as your size that dosn't matter it's how much hart you have. But you really need to just SLOW down. You will have to chip away at things and a large majority of getting into schools etc depends on somebody else deciding on picking YOU to get the slot. Don't try to get to much on your plate at once, no one can do it all. And stay focased on your end goal not jumping around from TACP to Combat Control to whatever. The latter has one of the highest washout rates. Not to discourage you but know what you are getting into, be patient and LET IT HAPPEN.

Good Luck!

ZachMiller
08-03-2011, 14:56
Thankyou sir! I do appreciate what you're telling me! The only reason I'm saying all these things is to get as much info as possible. But in the long run what I want to do is just be a TACP and become a JTAC in a SF unit or something. That's the long term plan. But I will do as you guys say and earn my way there and build my foundation! Thank you guys very much! It's been more help than any of you could imagine!

Anything else? Keep posting!

Thanks again,

Zach Miller

Morris
08-03-2011, 15:10
The TACP career field is positively evolving overall, a great deal of that in part to the GWOT and combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. Prior to that, the career field was predominately misunderstood, sometimes misused and at one point, threatened to have the mission be turned over to the Army. Calmer heads prevailed and what you have today a valuable asset for GFCs. TACCS are not exclusively SpecOps and some young ones come into the field with stars in their eyes and Hollywood visions. I'm not saying that it describes you but it does describe many who go for stuff like this. You could be assigned with a "lowly" combat brigade or moving with a HSLD SF unit.

The key to doing well in the field is to absorb everything, stay out of the cocky camp, exploit the position to get you what you want while still getting the mission done. The changes to include non-rated ALOs is damn encouraging, especially for smart young guys with college degrees who want to be officers. On a funny but applicable note, the CCAF degree you could (and should get) is actually one of the more applicable ones for the civilian world, in my opinion. A regret of mine was not exploiting that.

I wish you the best. Do well in BMT, get your things lines up and press on to what could very well be a successful career, even in a draw down type environment.

When you get done at Hurlburt, come back here and let us know how it went.

ZachMiller
08-04-2011, 14:35
Will do sir, I just want to assure you that those are not reasons for me joining. I was asked why Air Force? Well, I wanted to be recognized for something I did. That was the basic answer I had for them, I chose TACP, why they asked. I said to save lives that need it most. The difference between the first and second answer are entirely different. i still want to be recognized, but I know damn well that TACP isn't a common thing people look up to. No one knows about it. If I wanted to be recognized I would have joined like the Army Rangers or something. But I wanted to be the guy at the end of the day can think about his day knowing he did something that another man is thankful for. I will definitely remain posting in this thread and start a new one in the following year to let you guys know how everything went. But whether or not I'm put into a "lower" squadron with little to none combat, who is to say that they don't need me there? I just really want to be in a HSLD SF unit. I'm willing to give more heart and soul than any other. I do know that. But thank you Morris. You have been a true Airmen by my side when I needed one. I will take in everything you said and bring it with me. Just like I'm going to do when I get to basic and Hurlburt. i will absorb everything they tell me.

Thanks,

Zach Miller

JBnTX
08-04-2011, 20:32
You go to basic in 4 months.

Do you have a guaranteed (in writing) job as a TACP?

ZachMiller
08-05-2011, 07:55
Job match is in about 2 weeks, I was promised that there are multiple slots open for it by my Liasion Officer and he warned me there was a slight chance that I might not get it first go at it, but he said by the time basic is done I have about a 99% chance of getting in. I know where you're coming from, I'm getting all my plans worked up for TACP and I may not even get in. I have multiple back up plans but I know what you mean. Don't put too many eggs in one basket. I understand. I do have back-up plans.

Thanks,

Zach Miller

meeko
08-05-2011, 12:01
Job match is in about 2 weeks, I was promised that there are multiple slots open for it by my Liasion Officer and he warned me there was a slight chance that I might not get it first go at it, but he said by the time basic is done I have about a 99% chance of getting in. I know where you're coming from, I'm getting all my plans worked up for TACP and I may not even get in. I have multiple back up plans but I know what you mean. Don't put too many eggs in one basket. I understand. I do have back-up plans.

Thanks,

Zach Miller

If you don't have it guaranteed in writing before you leave for basic you are being spun and should not agree to it. They can put you wherever and then you are stuck for 36-60 months depending on enlistment before crosstraining. Even if you have to wait a few months before you can get into the career you want you need to wait. Recruiters sometims count on the fact you want in so bad you will settle for anything (like buying a car really) or try to slight the % of it working out in your favor. Please GET IT (the contract) IN WRITING BEFORE YOU LEAVE PERIOD.
If anyother retired guys here please chime in.

MrMurphy
08-05-2011, 14:47
Agreed. If it's NOT IN WRITING. Then..... it does NOT EXIST.

And remember. TACPs can wash out at any time. And then you generally end up in Security Forces. My training-team leader and my fireteam leader in the SF Academy were both TACP-almosts. They made it nearly 90% of the way through.

Accept it may happen. If it does, try not to *****, you gave it your best shot. You can always try again.

JBnTX
08-05-2011, 15:10
..... Please GET IT (the contract) IN WRITING BEFORE YOU LEAVE PERIOD.
If anyother retired guys here please chime in.

Amen, that's the gospel truth!

I'm a retired MSgt, 21 years in Air Force security police. Two things you'll learn from day one in the USAF:
AF needs come first and if it's not in writing it doesn't exist.

Zach Miller,

I admire your enthusiasm, dedication and desire to serve your country.
That alone puts you head and shoulders above your age group.

I retired in 1992 and I know things have changed, but I know if you don't have a guaranteed (in writing) job
BEFORE you go to basic training, you're at the mercy of the needs of the AF.

They'll put you where they need you the most. The TACP job field is very small, personnel wise. Career fields like security forces and aircraft maintenance are huge and require large amounts of new recruits to keep the ranks filled.

This statement from your previous post is pure BS. "I was promised that there are multiple slots open for it by my Liasion Officer and he warned me there was a slight chance that I might not get it first go at it, but he said by the time basic is done I have about a 99% chance of getting in."

That's pure garbage! What jobs are available today may or may not be available tomorrow or even an hour from now. It constantly changes. He has no way of knowing what jobs will be available when they run your
name. That's why they'll talk you into listing several "preferences" just in case TACP is not available.

Is a Liasion Officer your Recruiter? I'm not familiar with that term as it applies in your case?

Unless things have changed since I was in, they're not going to run and re-run your name through the computer until a TACP job pops up. It's not like a slot machine where you keep playing until you win.

They'll run your name, if no TACP job is available then the computer will automatically check your "preferences"
and see if one of those is open.

If there's a match (trust me, there will be one), congratulations you've just booked a job in the USAF.

Now, if you're in some special program that I'm not aware of, everything I've just said is probably wrong.
But if your's is just a routine run of the mill enlistment, then I'm right and you should be warned ahead of time.

If you want to be a TACP, then get it guaranteed in writing BEFORE you get on that plane to San Antonio, Texas.

Morris
08-05-2011, 17:28
Unfortunately, TACP jobs are only guaranteed if you are Guard and specifically joining that unit. Most come in open mechanical or like and then get into the slot during BMT.

I still harbor resentment against my idiot of a lying sack of crap piss poor recruiter who "guaranteed" me a Loadmaster job. Imagine my surprise when I landed in Lowry AFB and started learning how to load missiles on F15s . . .

meeko
08-05-2011, 22:16
Unfortunately, TACP jobs are only guaranteed if you are Guard and specifically joining that unit. Most come in open mechanical or like and then get into the slot during BMT.

I still harbor resentment against my idiot of a lying sack of crap piss poor recruiter who "guaranteed" me a Loadmaster job. Imagine my surprise when I landed in Lowry AFB and started learning how to load missiles on F15s . . .

I guess he thought as long as there was the word "Load" in it it was close enough!!!

ZachMiller
08-06-2011, 08:37
Thankyou so much guys! I didn't quite realize all the BS I was receiving but go figure. It's the US Military. I will make sure I get a form in writing saying I am receiving a TACP job. Now, what are the consequences of me not getting on the plane to Lackland AF Base if I don't receive one?

JBnTX
08-06-2011, 12:21
..... Now, what are the consequences of me not getting on the plane to Lackland AF Base if I don't receive one?

If you're currently in the Delayed Enlistment Program, you don't have to go,
You can simply tell them you changed your mind and walk away.

That's a dirty little secret they don't want you to know.

Keep in mind you'll probably never be allowed to join the AF ever again and may
even jeopardize your chances of joining another branch of service also.

But once you take the oath of enlistment and go on active duty, you either
go to basic training or to a military confinement facility (jail).

ZachMiller
08-07-2011, 09:19
Well I did take my oath and am in the DEP. I am pretty sure I won't just walk away but I will threaten them if that is something I can do. I will make sure I get the job I signed up for.

Thank you JBnTX,

Zach Miller

JBnTX
08-07-2011, 12:49
Well I did take my oath and am in the DEP.

That "oath" doesn't count and is not legally binding.
If it was, you'd be in the AF right now and getting a paycheck.

The DEP oath is just to make you feel like you've made a commitment
and are part of the AF and won't lose interest before going to basic.

Your actual enlistment is "delayed" until they have a basic training
class date/job for you.

You'll take another oath that's legally binding just before you go
to basic training. After you take that oath, then you're on active duty
and watch how fast they put you on a plane to Texas.:rofl:

(Note: I just want you to be aware of ALL your options.)

ZachMiller
08-07-2011, 19:22
So I'm technically free as of now and I am aware I do take another Oath. But I will for sure threaten them until I get my job as a TACP in writing.

Once again, Thank you so much!

Zach Miller

ZachMiller
08-11-2011, 07:04
If anyone has anything else to add please do. I have a DEP meeting tonight and if anyone has anything maybe that I should ask or try to find out I would definitely love some recommendations.

Thanks again,

Zach Miller

ZachMiller
08-14-2011, 10:28
Job matching is set for tomorrow on Monday the 15th. I should know within this next week. Thank you all so much for all your support, thoughts, and words of advice. If it weren't for you guys I may be making some bad choices in my near future but now I'm ready to take on the challenges of the Air Force with some background knowledge.

Thanks for everything,

Zach Miller

JBnTX
08-14-2011, 13:30
Let us know how it works out.

I think a lot of us "old Air Force guys" are following this thread
to see how you make out.

Good Luck!

ZachMiller
08-14-2011, 22:07
Thank you so much sir! I will make sure I keep this thread going because it's you guys doing most of the work for me.

CombatCamera
08-15-2011, 06:54
Good luck getting the job you want, If your going in you better do something you like!

If you don't get TACP you can always come to Combat Camera, we take photos of people doing there job then we get to go back to the AC and work on our photos, not all the time but most =)

ZachMiller
08-16-2011, 15:04
Thank you very much sir, still no news yet on the job matching.

ZachMiller
08-19-2011, 11:44
No news yet with the job match. I will be utterly disgusted with our country's Air Force if they don't WANT a student graduating early to be in there Special Operations. It really amazes me sometimes. But I should know very soon. Anyone have any reasons why I wouldn't get the job?

Morris
08-19-2011, 13:25
Yes.

You are not qualified.
Needs of the Air Force first.
Not everyone who wants to be HSLD should be.

There are variables. I cautioned you about the whole stars in your eyes thing. I don't regret being TACP because it was a conscious choice being a Guard bum and all but if given that or A&P or jet engine mechanic, in this day and age, I'd jump just to get my licenses and have solid job post ADAF career.

I spoke with a retired TACP friend of mine. He confirms you will get screened in BMT, not before.

JBnTX
08-19-2011, 19:12
I spoke with a retired TACP friend of mine. He confirms you will get screened in BMT, not before.

I was concerned about that!

Hmmm?

ZachMiller
08-20-2011, 10:00
Yes.

You are not qualified.
Needs of the Air Force first.
Not everyone who wants to be HSLD should be.

How am I not qualified for the job? I took the PAST test and passed it. I understand the needs of the Air Force but I'm pretty sure they aren't in over their head with HSLD soldiers. I can't argue you're last, it isn't made for all people. That's part of the reason I want the job. But mainly I do not understand how I wouldn't be qualified for it. I'm not "technically" in the Air Force because I have yet to graduate but at some point in the next year I'm going to graduate so I still don't see why they wouldn't want me in that spot. We will find out soon enough.

ZachMiller
08-20-2011, 10:01
Also what do you mean i will be screened in BMT? Is that when they will officially let me know if I have received a slot at Hurlburt Field? Just another question for you.

Thanks a ton,

Zach Miller

ZachMiller
08-20-2011, 13:27
Well here it is,

2T331 Vehicle and Vehicular Maintenance. Leave Date: Aug 7th, 2012

Both of these really upset me. I'm graduating early in January, so I was hoping that I would get a leave date around February or so but I might be able to change that once I get a letter from my school saying I'll be graduating early. Also I was told that my recruiters goal is to get me a slot in TACP before I leave for BMT. So since I'm only in the DEP does this mean I am a free man if I choose to be? I don't want to get on any plane or take any oaths until I have in writing saying I will receive the job of TACP. Is that legal for me? Lastly, if the Air Force were to for some reason really tip me over edge are other branches still available for me?

Please let me know ASAP!

Thanks again!

Zach Miller

JBnTX
08-20-2011, 14:18
Unless things have changed since I retired in 1992, the DEP oath of enlistment
is not legally binding. You can say no and walk away.

But, the decision to walk away will most certainly affect any future attempts
to join the Air Force, and may even affect joining the other services also.

Only your AF recruiter and the recruiters of other branches know the truth.
Talk to them and find out the facts for sure.

Ask your AF recruiter point blank, "what happens if I refuse to go on active
duty?" Talk to him about your concerns.

Ask the other recruiters, "If I dump the AF will you still take me?"

Think long and hard before you make a decision. Working in the motor pool
is not a bad job, if you're mechanically inclined and like working on vehicles.

Civilian auto mechanics, especially diesel mechanics, make some decent money.

Free training in a job that's directly transferable to a civilian counterpart.
A lot of people would kill to be in your position.

And remember, there's still that TACP screening in BMT, if I'm not mistaken?
There may still be a chance.

ZachMiller
08-20-2011, 14:45
Yeah it's definitely a job I wouldn't mind having but I really do want TACP. But I will ask my recruiter via text now about it and figure out what's going on. I will most likely stay but I really don't want to be put into something I didn't sign up for. If it weren't for you guys I'd be screwed by now. Thanks JBnTX very much for all the support!

Zach Miller

ZachMiller
08-20-2011, 15:35
Well I got off the phone with him and it turns out I'm not legally binded in but boy was he really mad at me when I told him I might not go but I thought about it and decided i might as well as go for 4 years into my job now and see how I like it because in that 4 years I should very well have gotten a spot in TACP. So that's the plan because my job (2T331) actually doesn't sound too bad for a country farm boy. Hopefully TACP comes up but if anyone has any comments on this if I should or shouldn't do this please post. Thanks a ton,

Zach Miller

P.S. - I should hopefully get a job before I go to basic in TACP, let's hope anyways.

meeko
08-20-2011, 21:08
Just a suggestion you might want to check into. If you want the TACP like you have said whats the possibility of getting locked in a TACP unit by joining an ANG unit? Then once you get spun up and your skill level transfer to active duty. I had both active and ANG and when they took the planes away we got a TACP unit as well as an intel mission. I was activated and deployed more as a member of the ANG than when I was active.

The other thing with the way the ANG does it you can voulenteer to go on orders wherever on the TACP side. Your home unit has one or two units they support but you could ask or see a notice for other Army units that are deploying and get activated for that. At least find a unit and give them a call and ask. s a general rule ANG recruiters are more honost than the active ones due to most of the folks they enlist the recriuters see every drill for the next 20-30 years unlike active where they are just car salesmen!

Just a suggestion for you to look into if you want.

MrMurphy
08-21-2011, 02:31
They can't force you to take a job.

You're a DEP. So? You can stay one till you find a job YOU like and YOU are qualified for.

Don't let them stick you with a job you don't want. They can't force you to take it.

ZachMiller
08-21-2011, 07:45
Thank you for the suggestion and support. I know they can't force me at all and I'm kind of on my recruiters ***** list right now but I really don't care what he thinks. He works for me, and he told me I'm joining for the wrong reasons and I'm unappreciative of everything he has done for me. Well he hasn't done what he said he would and I don't see me wanting my career to be what it is matters on why I'm joining. I guess I just don't really want to become a mechanic when every corner you turn that's what all the jobs are up here. I really want TACP and don't necessarily want to join the ANG. I know I could try and talk to them but I really would prefer to be active duty. I know it may be a ****ty thing to do but if the time comes where I have about a month before I leave and there's no sign of TACP, I really don't think they'll convince me to take an oath.

One last thing, If I sign for this job I received my recruiter told me it isn't legally binding and I'm technically a free man until I take that second oath. I just want to clarify that and make sure he isn't B.S'ing me.

Should I wait it out a little bit or maybe consider trying ANG or a different branch?

Please let me know.

Thanks a ton to everyone,

Zach Miller

meeko
08-21-2011, 09:11
Thank you for the suggestion and support. I know they can't force me at all and I'm kind of on my recruiters ***** list right now but I really don't care what he thinks. He works for me, and he told me I'm joining for the wrong reasons and I'm unappreciative of everything he has done for me. Well he hasn't done what he said he would and I don't see me wanting my career to be what it is matters on why I'm joining. I guess I just don't really want to become a mechanic when every corner you turn that's what all the jobs are up here. I really want TACP and don't necessarily want to join the ANG. I know I could try and talk to them but I really would prefer to be active duty. I know it may be a ****ty thing to do but if the time comes where I have about a month before I leave and there's no sign of TACP, I really don't think they'll convince me to take an oath.

One last thing, If I sign for this job I received my recruiter told me it isn't legally binding and I'm technically a free man until I take that second oath. I just want to clarify that and make sure he isn't B.S'ing me.

Should I wait it out a little bit or maybe consider trying ANG or a different branch?

Please let me know.

Thanks a ton to everyone,

Zach Miller

I wouldn't even play their game by entertaining doing something I didn't want for 4 plus years wity no guarentee to crosstrain.

All I'm saying is at least find an ANG unit with a TACP unit and call and talk to them. The ANG recruiters will even let you talk to the TACP guys and they will give you the no BS rundown on their unit. (as a general rule in the ANG a lot of CC's like to talk to interested applicants, think of it as an informal interview) It won't hurt and you aren't commited with the ANG by just talking.

I had that active duty mentality when I got out but after 13 + years in the ANG it is not the same guard as it was 25 years ago. Most of our troops had 8-12 years active duty time, worked as FBI agents, state supervisory probation officers even a couple collage prof and an 747 airline pilot. And all were enlisted. Jobs first term airman wern't qualified to apply for. And with the total force concept you can and will be deployed as much as your active counterparts. And like I said the ANG recruiters are more truthfull than active duty. active duty recruiters are generall just playing a game of tetrus except they are using people to fill the slots they have at the time.

If you want PM me and I can help direct you to the closest TACP mission to you.

ZachMiller
08-21-2011, 11:19
Thank you sir. I sent you a PM. Anyone else? Keep posting!

JBnTX
08-21-2011, 11:42

One last thing, If I sign for this job I received my recruiter told me it isn't legally binding and I'm technically a free man until I take that second oath. I just want to clarify that and make sure he isn't B.S'ing me....

You're a free man until you take that second oath that puts you on active duty.

Once you take that oath, your pay and benefits start, you have rank,
and they will immediately put you on an airplane to basic training.

Once you take that oath, you're legally committed to the AF and there's
no turning back. Refuse to go and they'll order you to go. Disobey that
order and you'll spend your enlistment time in a military confinement facility
instead of the USAF.

If anything was legally binding on you right now, there would be no doubt
in your mind, because you'd be in basic training wearing the uniform.

Figure out what you want to do before you take that second oath.

ZachMiller
08-21-2011, 13:19
Thankyou sir and that's what I'm figuring out. I know exactly what I want to do, it's just a matter of the Air Force giving it to me. But I won't take a second oath until I get what i signed for. Trust me, I don't think they should be making it difficult for the job I want. I know TAC-P isn't an easy stepping stone to cross for a lot of individuals. I'm all qualified so I'm just waiting on them. Thank you sir.

Zach Miller

ZachMiller
08-23-2011, 06:52
Alright as of now I have about 6 different people to call about ANG and my good family friend CMSGT Werner has been emailing AFSOC HQ down in Hurlburt Field, FL. If this doesn't figure out what's going to happen I don't think theres much hope haha.

I'm off to CC practice but I will be calling a lot of people and hopefully hear back from the Chief when he gets some replies from people.

I'll keep in touch for any updates,

Zach Miller

MDLibertarian
08-23-2011, 08:05
Well here it is,

2T331 Vehicle and Vehicular Maintenance. Leave Date: Aug 7th, 2012

I realize you may not be too happy about what you were selected for, but look at it this way. At least you'll know more about how to keep your vehicle running better than many, if not most, of the guys coming into the TACP field. After all, what will your title be while you're training to become a fully qualified JTAC? ROMAD = Radio Operator, Maintenance and Driver.

Because of your prior experience as a 2T331 you'll already be intimately familiar with the italicized duties and be indispensable to your unit since you'll bring skills with you as a prior-service Airman that others will have to learn on-the-job that you won't have to focus on nearly as much. Always look at the bright side, not to mention that you'll be a bit older and more mature than the pipeline candidates when (or if) you choose to eventually retrain into the TACP field.

Morris
08-23-2011, 09:27
Did you go surf over at ROMAD.com?

Lots of questions that can be answered there. In short, you are not guaranteed TACP before BMTS (seems like someone wrote that). You do apply for it when in but the reality is that the needs of the AF will always take precedence.

Whatever it is you do in my beloved AF, enjoy it, exploit it and exploit the opportunities the AF gives you from education to advanced learning to obtaining specialized certification.

ZachMiller
08-23-2011, 17:00
Yes I have been to ROMAD's website and am awaiting approval to be allowed on the forums. So If i could get a vote on this to help me out. Take the 2T331 job and try and take my chances with transferring over to TACP while at BMT or should I maybe go for the ANG and try to get in with a TACP unit and deploy as much as possible then go to active duty? Those are my two choices and I'm stuck on what I should do.

ZachMiller
08-28-2011, 11:12
Well I'm going to start searching ROMAD but I will definitely keep this up and going. I have a meeting tomorrow at 1200 hours with my recruiter but I have no idea what it's about. I will let everyone know if it's good or bad news tomorrow afternoon. Thanks,

Zach Miller

Morris
09-01-2011, 05:32
Here you go Zach:

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/jtac-joint-terminal-attack-controller.htm

ZachMiller
09-02-2011, 05:20
Thank you sir! This is actually exactly what I want to become shortly after TAC-P. Let's hope all goes well! As of now it's a waiting game.

ZachMiller
09-07-2011, 19:18
This is still a waiting game. It's frustrating but hey, if it turns out they don't want to give me what I want, they just lost a TACP candidate.

ZachMiller
09-23-2011, 21:01
Did some talking, everything I've been told and thats been done by my recruiter, pure bull****. So now I am going to bring in the men over my shoulders, CMSgts and other recruiters. I'm going to keep everyone updated! Thanks for everything to everyone. The support is beyond helpful!

JBnTX
09-23-2011, 22:23
Did some talking, everything I've been told and thats been done by my recruiter, pure bull****. So now I am going to bring in the men over my shoulders, CMSgts and other recruiters. I'm going to keep everyone updated! Thanks for everything to everyone. The support is beyond helpful!

I was just thinking about you the other day.

Don't give up the fight.
Let us know how it works out?

ZachMiller
09-24-2011, 08:36
Roger that sir, I'm bringing in the big guns now. No more messing around, I will get this job, and I will pass every portion of it with flying colors.

ZachMiller
11-07-2011, 20:26
Leave Date for Basic Military Training : February 7, 2012.
Signing my GTEP for TAC-P within a week. Just checking in with everyone. Finally got there after getting on my recruiters ass. Want to thank every one who contributed to this thread and my knowledge of TAC-P now. Straight after BMT I'm off to Hurlburt Field. The countdown begins!

JBnTX
11-08-2011, 08:32
Congratulations and Good Luck!

Some good advice for BMT:
Keep your eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut.

ZachMiller
11-08-2011, 15:46
Roger that sir. For the TAC-P school house I'm going to live buy "Tough times don't last, Tough people do." With those two mottos I'm golden. I do thank you all so much again for everything. If anyone wants to know or give me pointers on my workout/cardio I'd be happy to know. I'd rather be prepared and ready than to washout with excuses and regrets.

ZachMiller
11-23-2011, 18:33
Everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving. I hope everyone is enjoying life right now and wishing the best for all of you. Thanks again for all the help and advice. Everything paid off and you all made one more individual live his dream. Thank you all.

Zach Miller

ZachMiller
11-24-2011, 18:15
So, my final question remains unanswered, what do I do after the school house?

ZachMiller
11-24-2011, 18:28
Also, I don't want anyone to forget what you have taught me.

"Every special operator had to start at the bottom"
I will build my foundation, I will be a sponge and absorb everything I learn. I will go into basic with an open mind, open eyes, open ears, and a shut mouth. I will then go to tech school, with the same mindset. Be at the top of my class and have a good attitude, once again, build my foundation stronger, learn my comms gear better and better. Start out at the bottom, build it strong, then build up.

My goal is to go to the 14th ASOS Airborne at Ft Bragg. Maybe something else will appeal to me. Who knows, that doesn't change what you all have taught me. I thank you all and the question above is any advice anyone can give. It is (as of now) my final question for this thread. You have answered every other question 110% and have already made me mentally ready for the most part.

Thanks,

Zach Miller

ZachMiller
11-29-2011, 18:04
New question, now all I really want to know is how can I increase my sit ups count and push up count? Obviously the main answer is do more of them. Is there possibly an answer that could lead to specific workouts? I have the P90x Ab workout and I think I need to start doing that but also same with push ups? I guess push ups is something I'll just figure out. I'll check out crossfit.com and some other sites. Any idea workouts? Pyramids or something like that?

Also, lately I do this, 55 sit ups with a 12.5lb kettleplate behind my head, then do 60 push ups. Back to the sit ups, about 30, then 30-40 push ups. Sit ups again, about 20 then 20 push ups. Basically until I reach about 120-130 of each workout. Is this a good idea or are there any ways to polish my workout?

Thanks for any info,

Zach Miller

meeko
11-29-2011, 20:49
New question, now all I really want to know is how can I increase my sit ups count and push up count? Obviously the main answer is do more of them. Is there possibly an answer that could lead to specific workouts? I have the P90x Ab workout and I think I need to start doing that but also same with push ups? I guess push ups is something I'll just figure out. I'll check out crossfit.com and some other sites. Any idea workouts? Pyramids or something like that?

Also, lately I do this, 55 sit ups with a 12.5lb kettleplate behind my head, then do 60 push ups. Back to the sit ups, about 30, then 30-40 push ups. Sit ups again, about 20 then 20 push ups. Basically until I reach about 120-130 of each workout. Is this a good idea or are there any ways to polish my workout?

Thanks for any info, Zach Miller

Zach, I'm going to touch on the last couple of your posts here. I'm sure most of us here understand your eagerness. Thats good to have however, just a suggestion. As long as you comfortably meet the "minimum standards" you will be fine. There is only so much you can do and it sounds like you have done it and prepaired. You are fine. Let other things fall into place. You are at other peoples and the AF's whim (military supervisors, and folks that decide where and what unit you will be assigned too etc etc etc). All you have to do is get through BMT and Tech School thats ALL you can control now so thats ALL you need to concern yourself with. We all had our places we wanted to be stationed and most of us had a let down or two. If you worry too much about where/what unit you think you need to be in you might be disappointed when/if it dosen't work out.

You could very well be most deserving however most of your "Special Ops" units are not going to take a 3 level Airman They want experience, maturity and normally a 7 skill level. So gain that experience, be patient and impress your supervisors they are the ones that can make a preimium assignment happen if you shine. Let it happen and fall into place.

Two other things

1. Be the Quite Professional

2. There is a fine line between Self Confidence and Conceitedness....Don't ever cross that line!

good luck

Morris
11-30-2011, 10:43
Zach:

Long road before you get to the 14th. You need YEARS in before that element becomes available. That you have whatever passes for an EPR these days. Tack on getting a 7 level, tack on maintaining standards.

Good to have goals but be realistic. As Meeko pointed out and as I have mentioned to you, be the quiet professional. Build the foundation. Absorb to the point of confidence with conceitedness. Be the professional team member.

As an example from us in the LE world, raw rookies never make it into special units. They need road time, seasoning, age and experience. History has taught us that eager young bucks can get wild and out of control (conceited also comes into play).

Take each element at a time. First, BMT. Pass that, then tech school. Pass tech school, then unit assignment. Then more training and experience. Then ALS. Then 5 level. Then NCO academy. And so on.

Foundation.

ZachMiller
11-30-2011, 17:32
I appreciate that reminder because I do need it. I am very excited to leave, not so much that I'll get out of control, but more so that I live in a dead beat area and everyone around here are mostly drunks (Northern Wisconsin) and I'm just ready to move onto bigger and better things. I do promise I will build my foundation and I will have that self confidence but I will keep it conceited. If that's what you guys mean. Both of you have been a huge help and I owe my career to you. I'm going to go to basic, shut mouth, open eyes and ears. I'm going to be the unnoticeable guy that does good on PT and helps out teammates when need be. I will then go to the Prep Course and so forth, but I will take care of that then. The main concern I have is tech school and it gets me nervous, I have no doubt in my mind I will not fail, I just have doubt that I might be unprepared. But I will continue to workout heavy and keep doing what I'm doing and just be what you guys say. I understand exactly what you're saying and I'm going to bring a little pocket sized card on me that has quotes from both of you just to remind me what I need to focus on. I want you guys to know I won't go out of control and I don't have too high of dreams, for all I know I'll be a regular ROMAD for 5years. Fine with me, it'll pay off. Thank you both so much for all the help and thank you for the reminder, I am getting pretty excited to leave. It's getting pretty close =D Thank you both! Hats off to you!

Thanks,

Zach Miller

Morris
11-30-2011, 22:25
Just keep your nose clean. Sadly, seen a few folks crash and burn even before they get to BMT because they went out to "party" with their friends prior to leaving.

ZachMiller
12-01-2011, 15:22
I'm not a kid that's like that. But I promise to not do that. Before BMT, during tech, or anything. You have my word.

BOOSTED12A
12-09-2011, 06:54
for the sit ups put a firm pillow under your ass. this puts you below your pelvis when you layback and works your muskles verry hard. when you go to do a normal sit up it will be cake. for the push ups get you toes on a 4x4 or something to get more weighton your shoulders. just dont hurt yourself. if you do wind up taking the motor pool job, do it right and take pride in it. the motor pool here at langley blows goats....:tongueout:

ZachMiller
12-09-2011, 17:17
Haha no I am not taking any motor pool job. I'm GTEP'd for TACP and will be leaving Feb 7th. 2012. Im able to do about 70 Push ups in a minute but I'd probably get docked a few. Also I think I can hit about 60 sit ups a minute as well. So all I really need to do is continue that but keep running. I've also gone on a few 55lb 3mile rucks to get my back and legs working the right way. But thanks for the advice =D

Morris
12-09-2011, 19:23
How's the pull-ups?

ZachMiller
12-10-2011, 12:16
If I were to not do any push ups or workouts before hand I'd have to say around 15-17. Haven't been doing as many as I should be but with the specific muscles I workout in weightlifting class, I am still strengthening those muscles as well. Push ups are getting better and sit ups are also increasing significantly. Not sure how people can pass the sit ups easier than the push ups but maybe that's just me. Everything else is pretty solid. I am going to continue rucking until I hit about 70lbs for 3miles so that way I know what the final march will kind of feel like.

GeorgiaGlocker
12-13-2011, 17:53
Good luck to you. A quick story about my AF recruiter when I joined in 1975. My recruiter told me that basic would be the fastest 6 weeks of my life. As soon as we arrived at Lackland, one of our TI's informed us that we would be there for 8 weeks. Go figure.

ZachMiller
12-14-2011, 15:01
Haha, well I plan on being there for over 9. With reception and all that to go through it adds up to about that. But I know I definitely need to do more research than just my recruiter's statements. Thank you though! I want to keep this thread alive because I know more people like me will come through looking for answers, and well, they're all here.

ZachMiller
12-21-2011, 19:35
Here's a new one for you guys,

I'm too afraid to go to ROMAD's for this one. My buddy just got back from EOD Preliminary School and said he met a TACP down the road. I think he may have him confused with a CCT or a PJ but he told me the Preliminary Course is 2months long or so and the schoolhouse and pipeline training adds up to over 2 years. Now obviously the pipeline depends on what schooling you qualify for and are able to go to. But the preliminary course that I read about was a 10-day selection course at Lackland to weed out the weak.

Any info on this guys?

BOOSTED12A
12-22-2011, 06:42
eod. thats an exciting job but i wouldnt want to do it. im good workin on my ejector chairs. sorry i have nothing of use to add.....

Morris
12-22-2011, 07:00
He was meeting someone from the STS.

BOOSTED12A
12-22-2011, 07:02
STS is what?

ZachMiller
12-23-2011, 08:05
That's...err I can't think of the name but it's an advanced school for TACP's and they only take the best of the best I believe. So should I believe his info or no?

ZachMiller
01-07-2012, 13:10
1 Month to go. I truly appreciate everything from everyone. I will remain to stay on GT and keep you guys up to date through tech if I do ever get the chance. Thank you all for everything. I think I know more about this job than anyone else in my position. I think I can finally close the thread! But thank you all for all the help!

Morris
01-07-2012, 21:43
STS - Special Tactics Squadrons. In short, PJs and CCTs. Different orientation in mission although there are overlapping areas of responsibility.

ZachMiller
01-14-2012, 09:27
4000 views??? I bet 2000 are mine haha. I hope this thread remains open because it has any answer for someone in my position could ever ask for. Thanks again guys!

JBnTX
01-14-2012, 21:26
4000 views???...

4000 views means a lot of people support you and wish you the best.:wavey:

ZachMiller
01-15-2012, 10:59
Well, looks like I will take the support and do you guys proud. Three weeks until I'm off. Can almost see it. Thank you very much once again!

BOOSTED12A
01-15-2012, 13:50
4000 views means a lot of people support you and wish you the best.:wavey:
i second that.
nice sig btw. ive always thought there was a 10ish year cycle too. guess im not the only one. its good for buisness!

vis_pacem
01-16-2012, 21:37
hey zach, shoot me a pm with any questions you have. i went to basic april 19th 2011 and was in a spec ops flight for bmt. we had 35 cct and 5 sowt. our brother flight was pretty much all tacp and im still good friends with alot of them.

im at hurlburt field (where most of tacp school is) as an aerial gunner.

best of luck man, basic is 90% mental and after 8.5 weeks youll look back and laugh at alot of the stuff. i still laugh at the stuff my mti did to us

BOOSTED12A
01-17-2012, 06:10
my ti looked exactly like Sgt Slaughter form the ole days of WWF. he would come in on sunday nights about 2330 to recycle screwups. he would pick up the head of the cot so it was about 3 feet off the ground, drop it and start yelling. great way to let everyone else know what was going on! And no, i never had that done to me.

vis_pacem
01-17-2012, 09:22
my ti looked exactly like Sgt Slaughter form the ole days of WWF. he would come in on sunday nights about 2330 to recycle screwups. he would pick up the head of the cot so it was about 3 feet off the ground, drop it and start yelling. great way to let everyone else know what was going on! And no, i never had that done to me.

mine talked just like sam jackson in pulp fiction...... we made that connection after graduation and all about crapped ourselves

ZachMiller
01-17-2012, 20:07
Thanks Vis_Pacem..I sent you a message of last second questions. I always come up with a few. haha

ZachMiller
01-21-2012, 15:47
Vis Pacem. I shot you a text. Let me know if you ever did end up getting it.

Morris
01-22-2012, 12:49
For the first three days, all I knew was that my TI was shorter than me and smoked because I could smell him and feel the brim of his hat thump me in the throat. Chester McCracken, still remember his name to this day. Supply troop.

But you come to understand why folding things precisely is done. Attention to detail saves lives.

ZachMiller
01-22-2012, 21:44
Yes it sure does save lives. One thing no other branch focus' on nearly as much as the Air Force.

ChrisYZFR1
01-24-2012, 16:19
That's...err I can't think of the name but it's an advanced school for TACP's and they only take the best of the best I believe. So should I believe his info or no?

Are you referring to JTAC?

To be a fully certified TACP arimen it will take just under 19 months from BMT to completing SERE. You will not see JTAC for a long while.

Morris
01-24-2012, 17:43
SERE - Hmmm, is that what ADAF is calling Survival School these days?

One of the advanced schools is AGOS.

BOOSTED12A
01-24-2012, 19:24
Survival, Evasion, Resit, Escape. Im just an egress guy so i could be wrong

Morris
01-24-2012, 21:14
I'm familiar with "SERE" (as the USA calls it). I enjoyed my time at SV-80A in Happy Fairchild in 1993. The damn rabbit gave me the runs, however.

ZachMiller
01-25-2012, 13:55
SERE- Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape. So yes that's correct. So what mostly occupies this 19months of training? I'm actually excited to hear that. Was hoping I'd get to go through quite a few schools.

ZachMiller
01-31-2012, 10:12
1 week to go. About time! I'll definitely try to keep everyone up to date after basic!

ZachMiller
02-02-2012, 08:26
Excitement is getting unbearable. Only nervous for Tech School. But hey, I ain't quitting so they better find a good reason to kick me out.

ZachMiller
02-05-2012, 17:12
That time. Thanks for everything everyone. I'll let you guys know at some point where I'm at with everything. I have a lot of faith and won't let you guys down. Talk to you all soon.

Out,

Zach Miller

98LS-WON
02-08-2012, 20:26
I'm an ALO at one of your possible destinations. Once you have a class date, let me know and I'll try to get you hooked up w/ some of our 13Ls if we have any down there during that timeframe.

USAFRock
02-27-2012, 14:30
Let me know when you make it into the pipeline, im at the 23rd STS on Hurlburt Field and will see you running around with your orange helmet haha.