Going to New York (SD question) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Going to New York (SD question)

singlespeed20
07-22-2011, 20:45
I will be going to New York in September with my girlfriend for a short 5 day vacation.

I was thinking of carrying a surefire e2d led light as a precaution. I don't have one yet and was curious of any opinions before I made this buy.

Also, any problems with bringing this on a plane?

SuperSleuth
07-23-2011, 00:03
Someone with more experience may chime in, but I think you might be better off selecting a E2E instead of a E2D. I can see the crenelated bezel on the E2D setting off red flags at TSA checkpoints. I don't have any experience with this, though. I think it's better to be safe than sorry. Just my opinion, FWIW.

B.Reid
07-23-2011, 06:03
It will be OK in your checked luggage.

fuzzy03cls
07-23-2011, 20:19
NYS or NYC? In NYC if you get stopped by the stop & frisk squads, they will confiscate anything that has a sharp edge or a bunt object that they feel could be used as a weapon.

singlespeed20
07-23-2011, 22:30
NYC
I doubt we'll be around and out at night, plus good common sense too is always a first in staying safe.
Much rather be safe and prepared though.

DaneA
07-23-2011, 22:33
I think you would be better off going to a hardware store and buying a gutter nail. At least if that is confiscated you are only out a buck or so.

AlexHassin
07-23-2011, 23:20
NYS or NYC? In NYC if you get stopped by the stop & frisk squads, they will confiscate anything that has a sharp edge or a bunt object that they feel could be used as a weapon.

What where you up to be stopped and frisked?
i have never heard of any new yorkers flashlights being confiscated

fuzzy03cls
07-24-2011, 17:12
Last summer I was in Harlem. Had my backpack. I was stopped. I was stopped again on my way to a Yankee game in May. A few friends were stopped before. Flashlights fine. But if the flashlight has sharp edges(Like the E2D) that could be used as a stabbing instrument, they could take it. I have friends that had blunt objects & a pocket knife taken.

Electrikkoolaid
07-24-2011, 17:35
Sorry, you are not allowed to defend yourself in NYC with anything stronger than a stern look.

(unless you are a major contributor to the Democratic political machine, or a left-leaning Hollywood celebrity.)

singlespeed20
07-24-2011, 17:35
Were any fines given or just pocketknife being confiscated and allowed to continue on their way?

How were you stopped? Just you personally or like a checkpoint just stopping everyone along that route?
At the yankee stadium are there metal detectors?

seanmac45
07-24-2011, 17:38

One of the most ridiculous statements I have ever seen. There is no such thing as a stop & frisk squad in NYC. It would be unconsitutional.

As to your later assertions; 1 What were the circumstances of the Harlem stop? Please do tell us what property was confiscated from YOU PERSONALLY and by whom.

2 Backpack checks in Yankee stadium have nothing to do with the NYPD. Yankee Stadium is private property and they have the right to search your backpack.

Your stories stink like three day old fish.

seanmac45
07-24-2011, 17:42
I will be going to New York in September with my girlfriend for a short 5 day vacation.

I was thinking of carrying a surefire e2d led light as a precaution. I don't have one yet and was curious of any opinions before I made this buy.

Crenelated edges on flashlights will be confiscated by TSA. So will the new breed of TACTICAL:upeyes: pens that are the current rage and primarily designed as stabbing objects.

All backpacks are searched in Yankee Stadium, Shea Stadium, etc. all the public arenas.

Whatever you decide you need for self defense, just mail it to yourself at the hotel in which you will be staying. Put it in your name C/O the hotel and list yourself as a future guest on the address label.

My best advice is that you won't need defensive implements. NYC is one of the safest big cities in America right now. It is a far cry from the NY of the 1970's or even the 1980's

singlespeed20
07-24-2011, 18:16
Crenelated edges on flashlights will be confiscated by TSA. So will the new breed of TACTICAL:upeyes: pens that are the current rage and primarily designed as stabbing objects.

All backpacks are searched in Yankee Stadium, Shea Stadium, etc. all the public arenas.

Whatever you decide you need for self defense, just mail it to yourself at the hotel in which you will be staying. Put it in your name C/O the hotel and list yourself as a future guest on the address label.

My best advice is that you won't need defensive implements. NYC is one of the safest big cities in America right now. It is a far cry from the NY of the 1970's or even the 1980's

Thanks Seanmac!!

Jetblue does free checked baggage so if i do get the E2D i'll just have it checked in there and skip carrying it the day I go to Yankee stadium then.

Awesome idea too about mailing in to myself too for any future trips I do take, thanks for that one!

It's all just as a minor precaution, I'm not too worried about running in to any problems but rather have some form of defense just to be safe.
I'd probably be even less concerned if it were only myself going, but having my girlfriend with me as well I'm being just a bit more cautious. :embarassed:

seanmac45
07-24-2011, 18:36
Do me a favor and update your thread after your visit.

I would be willing to bet you both have a great time, but would like to hear the results either way.

Hoping to have your visit experience rebuke the NY haters in the thread.

coachrowsey
07-24-2011, 18:56

I would be willing to bet you both have a great time, but would like to hear the results either way.

I'd be willing to bet the same thing. Never had a problem in NYC.

singlespeed20
07-24-2011, 20:01

I certainly will! I'm looking forward to it. I'm well over due for a trip and vacation.

RYT 2BER
07-24-2011, 20:05
I have to travel to NY in august for a couple of days... I will be counting down the minutes till I leave that place. I don't like spending a penny of my money in that constitutional stomping cespool.

(And this is coming from someone who grew up there for the first 18 yrs of my life )

I LOATHE NY :)

dnuggett
07-24-2011, 20:23
My best advice is that you won't need defensive implements. NYC is one of the safest big cities in America right now.

I'm all for the tool between your years being utilized to the fullest. That said I'm curious how you know that he will not be in a situation in which he could utilize a weapon to defend himself? :dunno:

RetailNinjitsu
07-24-2011, 20:38
NYC has pretty strict rules on blades. NYPD has a habit of charging people with "criminal possession of a weapon 4th" for just about any blade that can be opened with one hand. :upeyes: (NYC sees them as "switchblades"). However, unless you attract negative attention or get "randomly selected" during one of the rare subway checkpoints, you shouldn't have a problem.

I carry my Fenix TK12 with striking bezel when I am out of the country and can't carry a gun. I have never had a problem bringing it on a plane. I also always pack an extra large tube sock and an "8 ball" in my carry on luggage (separate of course)

With that said, I spend about 50% of my time in Manhattan and Queens and have never once felt threatened. I have made a conscious decision to intervene on two separate occasions (one purse snatching and one fight on a subway platform where 2 teenagers were beating on one older guy). Both times I could have easily walked away. I doubt you will feel in danger while in NYC, but I would highly recommend the light and some common sense.

RetailNinjitsu
07-24-2011, 20:41
One is guilty of CPW 4th if he or she possesses any: (1) firearm; (2) electronic dart gun; (3) electronic stun gun; (4) gravity knife; (5) switchblade knife; (6) pilum ballistic knife; (7) metal knuckle knife; (8) cane sword; (9) billy; (10) blackjack; (11) bludgeon; (12) plastic knuckles; (13) metal knuckles; (14) chuka stick; (15) sand bag; (16) sandclub; (17) wrist-brace type slingshot or slungshot; and (18) shirken or “Kung Fu star”. [See NY Penal Law 265.01(1)].
One is also guilty of CPW 4th if he or she possesses any of the following weapons with the intent to use it against another unlawfully: (1) dangerous knife; (2) dagger; (3) dirk; (4) razor; (5); imitation pistol; or (6) any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon. [See NY Penal Law 265.01(2)].

People v. Nwogu. - Manhattan

Criminal Court Judge ruled that possession of a knife combined with a statement that the knife was for self defense was enough to make out a charge of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Fourth Degree. The judge reasoned that by stating that it was for self defense it shows that the defendant considered the knife a weapon and therefore the presumption applied but that judge ruled that if the defendant had remained silent that the evidence would be insufficient.

collim1
07-24-2011, 20:43
NYC has pretty strict rules on blades. NYPD has a habit of charging people with "criminal possession of a weapon 4th" for just about any blade that can be opened with one hand. :upeyes: (NYC sees them as "switchblades"). However, unless you attract negative attention or get "randomly selected" during one of the rare subway checkpoints, you shouldn't have a problem.

I carry my Fenix TK12 with striking bezel when I am out of the country and can't carry a gun. I have never had a problem bringing it on a plane. I also always pack an extra large tube sock and an "8 ball" in my carry on luggage (separate of course)

With that said, I spend about 50% of my time in Manhattan and Queens and have never once felt threatened. I have made a conscious decision to intervene on two separate occasions (one purse snatching and one fight on a subway platform where 2 teenagers were beating on one older guy). Both times I could have easily walked away. I doubt you will feel in danger while in NYC, but I would highly recommend the light and some common sense.

I prefer to "sean penn" it and tote 3 sprite cans and a pillow case.:supergrin:

SCmasterblaster
07-24-2011, 21:16
I win! I carried a G17 concealed into three Andrew Lloyd-Webber musicals in NYC in two days! Never again, though.

mrsurfboard
07-25-2011, 02:15
Ahh, Bloomberg's NYC. Where it's illegal to protect yourself in any way. You can flush it along with every other urban city in America for all I care.

RussP
07-25-2011, 05:19
I win! I carried a G17 concealed into three Andrew Lloyd-Webber musicals in NYC in two days! Never again, though.How'd ya do that?:wow:

seanmac45
07-25-2011, 06:18
There are no metal detectors or searches in Broadway theaters, Russ. If he kept it concealed and stayed out of trouble no one would ever know.

I've been carrying for over 30 years in NYC and no one has ever made me.

reniram
07-25-2011, 07:02
There are no metal detectors or searches in Broadway theaters, Russ. If he kept it concealed and stayed out of trouble no one would ever know.

I've been carrying for over 30 years in NYC and no one has ever made me.

OK, I'm new enough here that I don't know whether you're saying you're:

1. carrying illegally for over 30 years in NYC

2. LEO

3. one of the rare non-LEO people that has a NYC carry permit

reniram
07-25-2011, 07:06
Ahh, Bloomberg's NYC. Where it's illegal to protect yourself in any way.

I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever, but is New Jersey seriously much better in that regard? What chance does a non-resident of NJ have to optain a NJ carry permit?

fuzzy03cls
07-25-2011, 08:18
seanmac45 (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=5456)

I'm not sure what you are talking about. NYPD can & do stop everyday people in Manhattan to check them & do pat downs. It's random so they say. They do search backpacks. I was on my way to a Yankee game not at the stadium. I was getting on the 4 train at bowling green. I'm kinda of puzzled that you don't know this.
When I was stopped in Harlem, I was with a few friends & we were visiting another. We all were stopped. Questioned, then patted down.
No summons were issued.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/analysis_and_planning/stop_question_and_frisk_report.shtml
http://www.nyclu.org/issues/racial-justice/stop-and-frisk-practices

seanmac45
07-25-2011, 13:58
See post below

seanmac45
07-25-2011, 14:00
ABSOLUTELY NOT! Random stops on public streets for pat downs are not conducted. There has to be a reason on the street. Again, you don't provide any substantive details. Stop Question and Frisk forms support those interventions that are built upon reasonable suspicion. RANDOM stop and frisks do not occur. If you were stopped and patted down there was a reason.

In the subways is a different matter. At ball parks the same thing. Both are private property and searches are alllowed.

I also notice you haven't got any first hand info on knives or flashlights being confiscated as well.

TriggerFinger
07-25-2011, 14:11
NYC
I doubt we'll be around and out at night, plus good common sense too is always a first in staying safe.

Well Said!

And stop looking up at the tall buildings. That's a dead give-away that you are "visiting"

Common sense and being aware of your surroundings was enough for my to live there for over 40yrs without a problem.

If you see a shadey chartacter coming towards you, don't just stand there wondering what he'll do. That's what victims do.

fuzzy03cls
07-25-2011, 14:20
Look man I'm just saying what I have experienced. I guess we look suspicious & the questions we answered was not good enough, IDK, If it's not supposed to be that way the my rights were violated, & I should cry to a lawyer I guess. My friends have had things confiscated.
I no longer live in NYC so I really don't care 1 way or another. I hated that place & brainwashing it provided. I'm just a normal guy that grew up the Bronx, & spent most of my life there.
You say you carry? If you are the retired guy I think you are, you just defending the NYPD stance on this?

seanmac45
07-25-2011, 14:38
I don't have to defend anything. What I will do is correct erroneous information posted about NYC, the NYPD and its' procedures.

Whatever happened to you and your friends happened for a reason. Maybe not from your point of view, but there was indeed a reason.

nymike1
07-25-2011, 14:41
Last summer I was in Harlem. Had my backpack. I was stopped. I was stopped again on my way to a Yankee game in May. A few friends were stopped before. Flashlights fine. But if the flashlight has sharp edges(Like the E2D) that could be used as a stabbing instrument, they could take it. I have friends that had blunt objects & a pocket knife taken.

That's illegal here. They cannot confiscate a knife with a blade shorter than 3". I've lived here 25 of my 35 years and have not been stopped walking on the street nor do I know anyone else that's been stopped walking around.

nymike1
07-25-2011, 14:46
NYC

Pickpockets are the issue in Time Square, otherwise in midtown manhattan you'll be fine at night. Be aware and you'll be fine. Take a taxi if you're unsure of how to get back home at night. But don't miss out on some nice dining and night time pleasures because of fear. Just be aware.

RetailNinjitsu
07-25-2011, 18:08
I don't have to defend anything. What I will do is correct erroneous information posted about NYC, the NYPD and its' procedures.

Whatever happened to you and your friends happened for a reason. Maybe not from your point of view, but there was indeed a reason.

Sir,

I agree that not all of the info in this thread is correct. However, I assure you that random and unwarranted checks do happen. In the past 5 years I have been stopped and had my bag searched twice on the subway. Once at the GCT/shuttle entrance and once at 59th and Lex while I was trying to get to Astoria. I was not the only person selected...they were "security checkpoints" where numerous people were stopped.

I also have several friends who work midtown-north who have been involved in these checkpoints.

RYT 2BER
07-25-2011, 20:33
mercatus recently updated their ranking of states by freedom ....

NY ranks as most unfree state in the nation. NY is a sump... period and I'm embarrassed to have been born there

http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011

singlespeed20
07-26-2011, 19:47
Thanks all for the input and information. I'll be sure to post back later with a report on my trip.

Glock26z
07-27-2011, 00:05
Stay out of new york city,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,period. Go to a pro gun state where you are welcome.

seanmac45
07-27-2011, 04:41
Good to hear you won't be joining us!

Just1More
07-27-2011, 04:48

Why were you stopped? Just because you had a backpack?

TriggerFinger
07-27-2011, 10:10
Stay out of new york city,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,period. Go to a pro gun state where you are welcome.

Igorance?

Are you that affraid to be without your gun to miss out on what NYC may have to offer?

TriggerFinger
07-27-2011, 10:11
Good to hear you won't be joining us!

Jackson Heights Queens in da house!

SCmasterblaster
07-27-2011, 10:15
Igorance?

Are you that affraid to be without your gun to miss out on what NYC may have to offer?

True. VT or NH do not have any Broadway theatres.

federali
07-27-2011, 16:16
This is New York City, the Big Apple. After dark, small arms fire everywhere, people cringing in shadows, bodies in the streets, knife fights, blood running down the curb! Make sure your next of kin know where you are. I never fail to go through six or eight G19 magazines anytime I must be in the city.

If you can tell, I'm being facetious. New Yok City is the city that never sleeps. There are as many people about at 3 AM as at 12 noon. Enjoy the city and don't be afraid of the dark. Yes, there are areas that should be avoided but you'll be safe in the tourist areas, which have a large police presence. I think it utter nonsense that you would come to the city and not enjoy the spectacular views after dark. Your greatest danger is crossing the street without being run down by a taxi.

As for flashlights, as TSA enjoys feeling up old ladies and toddlers, there's no telling what they'll do. Best to have anything that could be used as a weapon in checked baggage as someone else said.

AlexHassin
07-27-2011, 17:06
Your greatest danger is crossing the street without being run down by a taxi.

just getting cliped hurts like a mother.

RYT 2BER
07-27-2011, 17:33
Igorance?

Neither... lots of places to go and spend your tourist dollars without having your Constitutional rights stepped all over

AlexHassin
07-27-2011, 17:34
Neither... lots of places to go and spend your tourist dollars without having your Constitutional rights stepped all over
owww lighten up and live a little. dont restrict your world so mutch

seanmac45
07-27-2011, 18:04

Must be sad to be so afraid to go somewhere unarmed and then claim it's about having your rights trampled.

seanmac45
07-27-2011, 18:06
Sir,

I agree that not all of the info in this thread is correct. However, I assure you that random and unwarranted checks do happen. In the past 5 years I have been stopped and had my bag searched twice on the subway. Once at the GCT/shuttle entrance and once at 59th and Lex while I was trying to get to Astoria. I was not the only person selected...they were "security checkpoints" where numerous people were stopped.

I also have several friends who work midtown-north who have been involved in these checkpoints.

SIR;

Read my posts carefully. The subways are private property. Random checks can and will be conducted therein.

Random checks on public streets do not happen.

RYT 2BER
07-27-2011, 18:47
Must be sad to be so afraid to go somewhere unarmed and then claim it's about having your rights trampled.

Yes you got me.... that's what it is:upeyes:

Actually I'm born and raised in rockland county and my fathers business was in Yonkers. Lived my first 18 yrs n NY. Its just a dump, sorry to tell you that's my opinion.

As far as being afraid... I currently live in South Florida... lets just say NY is a novice when it come to crime.... south Florida's the real deal and I'm not afraid here either :supergrin:

I just feel so strongly about the 2nd Amendment I prefer not to fiscally support anything or anyone who opposes it... and by my definition, NY opposes it.

Must be so sad to have so little passion for something.

TriggerFinger
07-28-2011, 00:40
Yonkers ain't NYC.

reniram
07-28-2011, 11:20

No disrespect whatsoever intended, but didn't you say you've been carrying for 30 years in NYC?

Glenn E. Meyer
07-28-2011, 11:31
Gee, I grew up in Brooklyn and now live in a gun happy state. But I've visited the city twice lately and even stayed near Times Square.

Made it back alive. Did the same thing in DC and Boston a few times.

Common sense will get you through most things. Also, really fun things to do.

Yep, they should change the laws but when I moved to TX, they didn't have concealed carry either.

reniram
07-28-2011, 11:43
There's a difference between being afraid to go somewhere unarmed and deciding how and where to spend your vacation dollars based on your principles. NYC's a great city and NY's a great state, but I understand perfectly anybody who decides to vacation elsewhere because NY arbitrarily decides that non-residents have no way or right to legally carry IF they wish to do so. Most of us don't have unlimited money, and there are plenty of great places in the US to vacation where a person has the option to legally carry IF they choose to do so. What's the problem with that?

reniram
07-28-2011, 11:43
Yonkers ain't NYC.

And grits ain't groceries.

Billy10mm
07-28-2011, 12:00
I'm all for the tool between your years being utilized to the fullest. That said I'm curious how you know that he will not be in a situation in which he could utilize a weapon to defend himself? :dunno:

You need to live here to understand. As long as the OPs idea of sight seeing isn't looking for hookers in Hunt's Point, Bronx or scoring some crack in Bushwick, Brooklyn ... there's a 99.99% chance he'll be just fine.

The touristy areas are just too populated, and generally speaking, too expensive for the bad element. 4AM walking around Time's Square? No problem, so is 2500 other people.

My wife and I have lived in both Manhattan and Brooklyn and I can't remember ever feeling like we were in danger. Sure, taking one of the far-out Queens, Bronx, or Brooklyn trains to the end of the line at 3AM is probably not the best idea, but there's no where you can realistically go inside Manhattan (and yes, that includes Harlem) at any time of day or night where you should FEEL threatened much less actually BE threatened.

There are plenty of places in NYC to find yourself in trouble, but as a tourist, the only way to find these places is to actually go looking for trouble. Once a month a friend and I get together at 4AM (before the sun rises) at a predetermined spot usually in NYC or Jersey City and set up our camera equipment to get ready for the first beginnings of light (the best time of day to shoot landscapes). I'm typically packing $5K worth of gear or so, he's usually packing closer to $8K. Other than the time we shot in a real bad area of Bayonne, NJ, I've never even felt the need to put my hand on my pocket knife much less get it ready.

Pulling up to a rural gas station in Virginia or Georgia on the other hand tends to evoke the fight or flight response alarmingly often.

reniram
07-28-2011, 12:05
You need to live here to understand. As long as the OPs idea of sight seeing isn't looking for hookers in Hunt's Point, Bronx or scoring some crack in Bushwick, Brooklyn ... there's a 99.99% chance he'll be just fine.

The touristy areas are just too populated, and generally speaking, too expensive for the bad element. 4AM walking around Time's Square? No problem, so is 2500 other people.

My wife and I have lived in both Manhattan and Brooklyn and I can't remember ever feeling like we were in danger. Sure, taking one of the far-out Queens, Bronx, or Brooklyn trains to the end of the line at 3AM is probably not the best idea, but there's no where you can realistically go inside Manhattan (and yes, that includes Harlem) at any time of day or night where you should FEEL threatened much less actually BE threatened.

There are plenty of places in NYC to find yourself in trouble, but as a tourist, the only way to find these places is to actually go looking for trouble. Once a month a friend and I get together at 4AM (before the sun rises) at a predetermined spot usually in NYC or Jersey City and set up our camera equipment to get ready for the first beginnings of light (the best time of day to shoot landscapes). I'm typically packing $5K worth of gear or so, he's usually packing closer to $8K. Other than the time we shot in a real bad area of Bayonne, NJ, I've never even felt the need to put my hand on my pocket knife much less get it ready.

Pulling up to a rural gas station in Virginia or Georgia on the other hand tends to evoke the fight or flight response alarmingly often.

There's a 99.99 pct chance most people will be fine whereever they go on vacation. That's not the point. Also someone living in rural VA or GA could make the same argument ie you have to live there to understand.

Billy10mm
07-28-2011, 12:08
Ahh, Bloomberg's NYC. Where it's illegal to protect yourself in any way. You can flush it along with every other urban city in America for all I care.

Bloomberg didn't set these rules, they were in place long before he came into office. And technically speaking, NYC does have an issuable carry permit, the problem is that the requirements to get them are quite strict and the average person doesn't have the need to carry enough cash on them in a given day to qualify.

And I love the general statements that are so popular, "All of Bloomy's friends and the sports figures have them.". That's crap too. If you want to be in a legally "packing" area of NYC - go to the diamond district and look around for Hasidic Jewish men carrying briefcases that are locked by chain to their wrist (hint, there are PLENTY of them). Most of them are packing, legally, and they've had their permits for many many years.

I personally know a guy in Brooklyn who has a carry permit. He owns a couple of laundry-mats and a car-wash, two cash-intensive businesses and on Fridays when he does his cash pickups, he meets the city's requirements and went and got himself a permit.

NYC isn't easy, no, it's definitely no Tennessee. But NY is NOTHING compared to Jersey. They don't even have a carry permit - it doesn't exist.

Billy10mm
07-28-2011, 12:12
I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever, but is New Jersey seriously much better in that regard? What chance does a non-resident of NJ have to optain a NJ carry permit?

There IS no NJ carry permit. NJ, where I lived the first 24 years of my life, is MUCH worse than NY.

I live in NY now (Westchester county, about 20 miles north of NYC) and both my wife and I have our NYS carry permits. The only restriction we have is that our permit is not good in NYC.

Billy10mm
07-28-2011, 12:16
Yonkers ain't NYC.

Ain't that the truth. I'd live in the worst parts of Brooklyn or the Bronx before living in Yonkers. I live 10 minutes up the road from Yonkers now but in an entirely different world it would seem.

TriggerFinger
07-28-2011, 13:49
Ain't that the truth. I'd live in the worst parts of Brooklyn or the Bronx before living in Yonkers. I live 10 minutes up the road from Yonkers now but in an entirely different world it would seem.

It's just not the same as if you lived within the 4 boroughs (Staten Island don't count) as opposed to living outside and coming in to visit.

But even coming to visit, why do some people feel the NEED to carry a pistol? Some of these responces are along the lines of "If I can't carry, I ain't going."

For those that feel this way, how often do you shoot people in self defense for you to feel so uncomfortable without your firearm?

reniram
07-28-2011, 13:57
There IS no NJ carry permit. NJ, where I lived the first 24 years of my life, is MUCH worse than NY.

I live in NY now (Westchester county, about 20 miles north of NYC) and both my wife and I have our NYS carry permits. The only restriction we have is that our permit is not good in NYC.

OK, that's flat out not true. NJ does have a carry permit - non-residents can even apply. It may be difficult to get, but from what I've heard NY permits are very difficult to get in certain counties including Westchester unless you are rather well connected - and non-residents cannot apply.

reniram
07-28-2011, 14:02
It's just not the same as if you lived within the 4 boroughs (Staten Island don't count) as opposed to living outside and coming in to visit.

But even coming to visit, why do some people feel the NEED to carry a pistol? Some of these responces are along the lines of "If I can't carry, I ain't going."

For those that feel this way, how often do you shoot people in self defense for you to feel so uncomfortable without your firearm?

Again totally not the point. We have a right to keep and bear arms in this country per the 2A. Most states regulate it in one way or another, but some states regulate it to the point that only certain special people are allowed the right. Why do you have a problem if someone says that would stop them from visiting and spending their hard earned money in such as state? And the question about why do some people NEED to carry a firearm is one that the anti 2A crowd always asks. NYC isn't the center of the universe, and people can have a fine life without ever visiting it if they so choose.

mpow66m
07-28-2011, 14:12
OK, that's flat out not true. NJ does have a carry permit - non-residents can even apply. It may be difficult to get, but from what I've heard NY permits are very difficult to get in certain counties including Westchester unless you are rather well connected - and non-residents cannot apply.

I grew up in NY(Dutchess county)43 yrs there,moved to NJ a yr ago.Ill say it again,NJ makes NY look like AZ.You are not getting a permit in NJ period.In NY it takes 6 months,they both suck and i cant wait to get to Pa or NC.NYC is a nice place to visit,been there many times,but i would nevr want to live there due to the congestion.

dnuggett
07-28-2011, 14:13

I'm not in the camp that if I can't carry I ain't going. My preference is to carry and will choose places that I can carry over places I can't, unless I have a need to be somewhere I can't carry.

I carry wherever I am legally allowed. Why do I feel the NEED you ask? I feel the need to carry everywhere for the same reason I feel the need to carry anywhere. Think about that for a second.

No offense, but that question is quite ridiculous.

How often do you get into a car accident? Does that mean you stop carrying auto insurance? Or should you only carry insurance when you know you will get into accident?

How often does your office builiding/place of business/home burn down? Does that mean the smoke detectors/fire drills/fire extinguishers should go away? Or should we only have them ready when we know there will be a fire?

I carry wherever I am legally allowed by personal choice. I have made the choice to be prepared to protect myself and my family because I love them and I want to go home to them and I want them to come home with me.

How often I have used my firearm in self defense has nothing to do with it. I have made a life changing decision to carry a firearm (yes that's the way you should look at carrying a firearm, a life changing decision). When I am not armed I stay aware and make choices to avoid a negative outcome to my family. When I am armed I stay aware and make choices to avoid a negative outcome to my family. I am nor more or less "comfortable" either way, but I am more capable to defend myself and my family when I carry.

reniram
07-28-2011, 14:28
I grew up in NY(Dutchess county)43 yrs there,moved to NJ a yr ago.Ill say it again,NJ makes NY look like AZ.You are not getting a permit in NJ period.In NY it takes 6 months,they both suck and i cant wait to get to Pa or NC.NYC is a nice place to visit,been there many times,but i would nevr want to live there due to the congestion.

I'm not saying NJ is easy. A friend of mine is from there, and his opinion is that it's basically a fascist state. But the permits do exist. They're probably about as easy to get as NYC permits or certain other counties in NYS like Westchester (IIRC there's some litigation going on in Westchester about the permitting process). I also understand there are some counties in NYS that are pretty close to shall issue. But even there I don't believe non-residents may apply. I'd love to be wrong about that.

Travclem
07-28-2011, 14:34
Is it not? There's nothing in NYC I care enough about to bend over and give up my rights to see. I'd much rather go to Alaska or Montana on vacation if I wanted to go sight seeing. It's not about fear of being unarmed, I'd be armed anyway, it's the principle of the matter. I'm not spending a dime in that or any other liberal cesspool nanny state.

hhb
07-28-2011, 14:51
My question is: "What did the posters who only visit CCW friendly states do before the CCW laws swept the nation". Sounds like they stayed home with blinds drawn and the doors nailed shut because they were afraid to go outside.

reniram
07-28-2011, 14:57
My question is: "What did the posters who only visit CCW friendly states do before the CCW laws swept the nation". Sounds like they stayed home with blinds drawn and the doors nailed shut because they were afraid to go outside.

Again not the point. There are options today. This has nothing to do with fear and everything to do with voting with one's wallet. Why do so many posters seem to have a problem with people who elect to spend their time and money in ccw friendly states?

AlexHassin
07-28-2011, 16:36

Makes me wonder if they would pass up going or working abroad for the same reason. I just cant imagine letting politics get in the way of a fun adventure.

mpow66m
07-28-2011, 16:43
Makes me wonder if they would pass up going or working abroad for the same reason. I just cant imagine letting politics get in the way of a fun adventure.

well uncle sam would be more than happy to issue an m-4 in that case for someone

mpow66m
07-28-2011, 16:45
I'm not saying NJ is easy. A friend of mine is from there, and his opinion is that it's basically a fascist state. But the permits do exist. They're probably about as easy to get as NYC permits or certain other counties in NYS like Westchester (IIRC there's some litigation going on in Westchester about the permitting process). I also understand there are some counties in NYS that are pretty close to shall issue. But even there I don't believe non-residents may apply. I'd love to be wrong about that.

they do not issue a non res. permit in NJ unless you know someone.NJ has the most restrictive gun laws in the country not counting ca.

RYT 2BER
07-28-2011, 16:49
Again not the point. There are options today. This has nothing to do with fear and everything to do with voting with one's wallet. Why do so many posters seem to have a problem with people who elect to spend their time and money in ccw friendly states?

Reniram- thank you for your multiple intelligent, lucid reasonable posts. The majority of the other posters are a bunch of posers as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, but when I say "poser" I mean that in the nicest possible way.:wavey:

bakerj
07-28-2011, 16:53
I held a NJ carry permit in my very own hand once. It was issued in 1954 to a friend of mines Dad who was big in real estate.

mpow66m
07-28-2011, 17:18
and i saw a unicorn in '78,lol

AlexHassin
07-28-2011, 19:42
well uncle sam would be more than happy to issue an m-4 in that case for someone

So outside of a military setting you would give it up? where is the fun in that?

mpow66m
07-28-2011, 19:46
So outside of a military setting you would give it up? where is the fun in that?

me,no.im all for fun.

reniram
07-29-2011, 06:55
Reniram- thank you for your multiple intelligent, lucid reasonable posts.

I appreciate that. This thread has got me curious about a few things so I did a little more research.

According to the NJ State Police there have been about 1600 NJ carry permits issued between 2007 and 2010. NJ has a population which is roughly the same as NYC. Anybody know how many NYC carry permits have been issued during that same time period, and does the poster who has carried there for 30 years and never been made have one?

According to the Orange County (NY) shooters club there are three counties outside NYC that are basically no issue counties unless you are very well connected. They are Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester which makes me wonder about the poster from Westchester who managed to get one, not only for himself, but also for his wife.

The premise that people who handle large amounts of cash regularly have an easier time getting NYC permits than others is weird since AFAIK NY law doesn't allow deadly force in defense of property.

RYT 2BER
07-29-2011, 07:45
The premise that people who handle large amounts of cash regularly have an easier time getting NYC permits than others is weird since AFAIK NY law doesn't allow deadly force in defense of property.

Im not sure about the law of using deadly force, but I am forever enraged at the concept that "if you are a jeweler or handle large amounts of cash" then you are deserving of a carry permit!

First off, what they are saying is that large amounts of money are more valuable than things like.. oh I dont know.. YOUR FAMILY! So human life is of little value but carrying a sack of diamonds makes you worthy.

Beyond that (and without having stats) Im SURE that VASTLY more people who are a victim of violent crime are NOT heavy cash handlers or jewelers. I mean, oh I dont know.. how many RAPES have you heard about occuring because a woman works at a bank and handles alot of cash? What % of violent crime victims are as a result of a hold up situation where a jeweler is defending jewels? Im sure it happens but Im also sure it represents a tiny portion of these kinds of crimes.... Yet people in NY will continue to cast a vote for people who feel their life is valued less than that of a sack of cash.

Thats why I hate going to that dump hole. I have to go for a family thing in August and I will be there for 48 hrs or less, which will be 48 hrs too much.:faint:

fuzzy03cls
07-29-2011, 08:38
True NYC is pretty safe now. I have been in times square at 1am at the movies plenty of times. In central park, & battery pack late at night. I also have been mugged a few times, stabbed, shot at, been in fights, & jumped. But there's this mentalilty there. You only get out of it & see it once you move out of NYC. I never thought of having a gun, carrying a gun, what me? Why I have the police? Even after I moved from NYC it took me 2 years to think about shooting a gun for the 1st time.
Some of my friends still think I'm mixed up with some crazy southern militia ready to take over the county... This is the thinking from all the brainwashing of the NYC area.
and does the poster who has carried there for 30 years and never been made have one?
I think he's retired NYPD from what I have saw.

nymike1
07-29-2011, 08:44
There's a 99.99 pct chance most people will be fine whereever they go on vacation. That's not the point. Also someone living in rural VA or GA could make the same argument ie you have to live there to understand.

Well then people should just lock themselves at home with their shotguns aimed at the door 24/7. You cannot live your life in Fear. You follow the rules, stay alert, and do the mainstream thing, and enjoy. Otherwise, why even live?

nymike1
07-29-2011, 08:50

I'm sorry - but you can vote all you want with your wallet - go to Branson or something - the point is that NYC is one of the Greatest places on earth, and gun politics are not a reason the boycott a visit- especially when it's also the greatest example of Capitalism on the Planet. Disneyland/world doesn't allow firearms - even for LEO's should you boycott there too?

Travclem
07-29-2011, 09:28
I'm sorry - but you can vote all you want with your wallet - go to Branson or something - the point is that NYC is one of the Greatest places on earth, and gun politics are not a reason the boycott a visit- especially when it's also the greatest example of Capitalism on the Planet. Disneyland/world doesn't allow firearms - even for LEO's should you boycott there too?
Yes, If I wanted to spend a bunch of money to see a dancing man in a mouse costume, I'd go to Chuck E. Cheese... and carry my gun when I did.

I still do not see why someone would want to go to NYC. I dont care about leftist art galleries, coffee shops, or graffiti "art". And I don't care to walk shoulder to shoulder with other folks all day. Not my cup of tea. The statue of liberty is neat but have you ever been in the TX hill country when the blue bonnets bloom?

dnuggett
07-29-2011, 09:56
Well then people should just lock themselves at home with their shotguns aimed at the door 24/7. You cannot live your life in Fear. You follow the rules, stay alert, and do the mainstream thing, and enjoy. Otherwise, why even live?

Why do you equate carrying a firearm with living in fear? In my life the two couldn't be more opposite.

Seems I know of someone else who said I cling to guns.... and religion. Know much about what that guy is up to these days? :wow:

RYT 2BER
07-29-2011, 10:14
the point is that NYC is one of the Greatest places on earth,

Says you.

To me (a former NY for 18 yrs) it is filthy, expensive, and wildly overcrowded.. oh and the reputation for having some of the most obnoxious nasty people is also right on the money.

Those of us who feel so strongly about our 2nd Amendment think that their gun politics certainly are worthy of avoiding as well. Cant always stick to that philosophy unfortunately, but when the choice is there, thats the way I go.

TriggerFinger
07-29-2011, 10:54
Why do you equate carrying a firearm with living in fear?

People who won't visit NYC because they can't carry their firearm(s) is the a reason why others may think that they live in fear.

If you don't go because it's dirty, rude, over populated is another reason, but just because you can't arm yourself with a firearm is something else.

Plus, that additude kinda says that they are under-armed in the first place. A gun is just a tool to defend yourself. Your wits should be your first line on defense. Never leave home without it.

reniram
07-29-2011, 11:15

Wasn't NYC one of the places that decided to boycott Arizona after AZ passed a controversial (to some) illegal immigration law? Political boycotts happen all the time. NYC may or may not be one of the greatest places on earth, but people who've never visited still get along fine. If they don't want to visit because of gun laws or they don't like the Yankees. Same applies to Disney or anywhere else. If you don't like their rules you have the option of not going. I still don't see why you or anyone else has a problem with that.

reniram
07-29-2011, 11:17

I never said anything remotely like that.

nymike1
07-29-2011, 11:19
Says you.

To me (a former NY for 18 yrs) it is filthy, expensive, and wildly overcrowded.. oh and the reputation for having some of the most obnoxious nasty people is also right on the money.

Those of us who feel so strongly about our 2nd Amendment think that their gun politics certainly are worthy of avoiding as well. Cant always stick to that philosophy unfortunately, but when the choice is there, thats the way I go.

Nobody is suggesting you move here. I myself would be happy to move back to somewhere more remote. The point is that there is a whole world to see - NYC one of the greatest in our nation. It's more than just a 1 dimensional liberal whorehouse. It's the first great American city, with many national treasures.

I advise liberal jaded New Yorkers to get out of their stuffy apartments and go see the rest of the country and the world too.

nymike1
07-29-2011, 11:27
Wasn't NYC one of the places that decided to boycott Arizona after AZ passed a controversial (to some) illegal immigration law? Political boycotts happen all the time. NYC may or may not be one of the greatest places on earth, but people who've never visited still get along fine. If they don't want to visit because of gun laws or they don't like the Yankees. Same applies to Disney or anywhere else. If you don't like their rules you have the option of not going. I still don't see why you or anyone else has a problem with that.

I don't have a problem with that, but it's narrow minded. The city is more than it's 55% liberal population. It's the same as visiting Washington DC. They have horrible gun laws, but I don't see them moving the Smithsonian or the Lincoln memorial to Arizona. Still, it's important for American's to see these things.

nymike1
07-29-2011, 11:30
Yes, If I wanted to spend a bunch of money to see a dancing man in a mouse costume, I'd go to Chuck E. Cheese... and carry my gun when I did.

I still do not see why someone would want to go to NYC. I dont care about leftist art galleries, coffee shops, or graffiti "art". And I don't care to walk shoulder to shoulder with other folks all day. Not my cup of tea. The statue of liberty is neat but have you ever been in the TX hill country when the blue bonnets bloom?

I might just come and visit if you'll take me around Hill country! I've been just about everywhere in the states, and about 30 countries around the globe. Everywhere has something worth seeing and people worth knowing.

windplex
07-29-2011, 11:35
alternative take:

best weapon is your mind. ounce of prevention works for me there
- situational awareness
- don't act like a tourist and stare at the talll buildings -- you standout.
- never stop walking when someone asks for something be it money or whatever
- walk fast enough so it is obvious if someone is following you or closing on you by how fast they have to walk.
- crowds good deserted places bad

rahulanand1130
07-29-2011, 11:36
I think the reasoning behind the jewelers/cash handlers having an easier time getting carry permits is that they are more likely to be targeted as victims of violent crime. I'm not defending the view but I see that as being the reasoning behind it. I could be wrong though.

reniram
07-29-2011, 11:36
I don't have a problem with that, but it's narrow minded. The city is more than it's 55% liberal population. It's the same as visiting Washington DC. They have horrible gun laws, but I don't see them moving the Smithsonian or the Lincoln memorial to Arizona. Still, it's important for American's to see these things.

People can see what they want when they want, and they also have a right to be narrowminded if they want. Not saying it's good, but once you're an adult you have the right to live your life as you see fit. BTW I've been to NYC more times than I can count. I plan to see the Cloisters on my next visit. I've also met more than a few New Yorkers who look down their noses at flyover country with a narrowmindedness that dwarfs that of people who choose not to visit NY because of gun laws. They might be surprised at some of the cultural opportunities in what they think of as second tier cities.

hamburger
07-29-2011, 11:39
"I REFUSE TO VISIT MY MOM BECAUSE SHE DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO CARRY IN HER HOUSE, SO THE HELL WITH HER!"

Silly ain't it?

nymike1
07-29-2011, 11:46
People can see what they want when they want, and they also have a right to be narrowminded if they want. Not saying it's good, but once you're an adult you have the right to live your life as you see fit. BTW I've been to NYC more times than I can count. I plan to see the Cloisters on my next visit. I've also met more than a few New Yorkers who look down their noses at flyover country with a narrowmindedness that dwarfs that of people who choose not to visit NY because of gun laws. They might be surprised at some of the cultural opportunities in what they think of as second tier cities.

I agree with you very much. Everyone has a right in our country. I think however they also have an a opportunity. You'll find that many of those people who look down at flyover country were originally from there. Thus the question asked when someone says they are from NY - "Where are you from ORIGINALLY?"

Toorop
07-30-2011, 06:18
"I REFUSE TO VISIT MY MOM BECAUSE SHE DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO CARRY IN HER HOUSE, SO THE HELL WITH HER!"

Silly ain't it?
Not to some people. My uncle missed his daughters wedding because the church it was held was posted. He doesn't regret it one bit as he will not give up his rights. When our grandfather passed (his father) he would not go to the hospital to be with him in his final moments on Earth as the hospital was posted. You got to take a stand and he did.

hunter won
07-30-2011, 06:50
I appreciate that. This thread has got me curious about a few things so I did a little more research.

According to the NJ State Police there have been about 1600 NJ carry permits issued between 2007 and 2010. NJ has a population which is roughly the same as NYC. Anybody know how many NYC carry permits have been issued during that same time period, and does the poster who has carried there for 30 years and never been made have one?

According to the Orange County (NY) shooters club there are three counties outside NYC that are basically no issue counties unless you are very well connected. They are Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester which makes me wonder about the poster from Westchester who managed to get one, not only for himself, but also for his wife.

The premise that people who handle large amounts of cash regularly have an easier time getting NYC permits than others is weird since AFAIK NY law doesn't allow deadly force in defense of property.The Westchester suit would effect the entire state of NY.Proper cause is required in NY state.SAF filed a law suit because the 2A is an individual right and proper cause is not a requirement to obtain a carry license.This may be appealed by NY and head up to SCOTUS.Very few full carry licenses are issued in Westchester,Nassau and Suffolk.

fuzzy03cls
07-30-2011, 18:12
I advise liberal jaded New Yorkers to get out of their stuffy apartments and go see the rest of the country and the world tooExactly. My friends in NYC/tri state don't do this. NYC is all they know & all they care about. They just can't fathom some of the concepts the rest of the country see's. And THIS is the mentality of most NYC people.
It was mine too. Until I moved away.

AlexHassin
07-30-2011, 22:20
Not to some people. My uncle missed his daughters wedding because the church it was held was posted. He doesn't regret it one bit as he will not give up his rights. When our grandfather passed (his father) he would not go to the hospital to be with him in his final moments on Earth as the hospital was posted. You got to take a stand and he did.
thats nuts. i hope he is the family member that is ignored and blacklisted

reniram
07-31-2011, 08:09
The Westchester suit would effect the entire state of NY.Proper cause is required in NY state.SAF filed a law suit because the 2A is an individual right and proper cause is not a requirement to obtain a carry license.This may be appealed by NY and head up to SCOTUS.Very few full carry licenses are issued in Westchester,Nassau and Suffolk.

Has NY ever been legally challenged because they neither issue to non-residents nor recognize out of state permits? Would the Westchester suit have any impact in this area?

federali
07-31-2011, 09:12
In NYC alone, scores of jewelers who offered no resistance were murdered incident to a robbery. NYC, unfortunately, is one of those leftist places where the government knows what's best for all of us and we're not required to think. So, eliminate cash/jewelry handlers from getting permits and you also disarm the armored car drivers, many of whom have also been killed during robberies. When being robbed or mugged, justification for deadly force exists because the perp can harm or kill you at any time, not because you happen to be carrying a large sum of money.

Besides, whoever said that gun laws make any sense?

hamburger
08-01-2011, 13:33

Really? Missed his daughter's wedding?

"Sorry honey, but daddy wasn't allowed to bring his gun in so I could not attend your wedding"

And a dad's deathbed?

"If only I was allow to bring my gun into the hospital, I could have told him how proud I was of him..."

SCmasterblaster
08-01-2011, 13:48

"Sorry honey, but daddy wasn't allowed to bring his gun in so I could not attend your wedding"

And a dad's deathbed?

"If only I was allow to bring my gun into the hospital, I could have told him how proud I was of him..."

Come on now. We may not be able to understand it, but for some folks, their CCW rights are at the top of everything.

seanmac45
08-01-2011, 14:39
Come on now. We may not be able to understand it, but for some folks, their CCW rights are at the top of everything.

Yes, true statement if the folks in question are dysfunctional sociopaths.:rofl:

gunsite
08-01-2011, 15:09
Obey the Law, if you get locked-up and go to Rikers Island, you'll be very uncomfortable. You don't want to get caught carrying a Gun in NYC, Mandatory Jail sentence, ask Plaxico Burress.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l96/f721/Google_plus.jpg
Firearms Group

TriggerFinger
08-01-2011, 15:20

And a dad's deathbed?

Yes, true statement if the folks in question are dysfunctional sociopaths.:rofl:

That's a bit more than fighting for your CCW rights. That's down right selfish to take a stand and prove a point on your daughter's wedding day. It's not like the government is saying "oh damn, maybe we should change these laws so there won't be other daddy's little girls getting hurt by insanely stubborn fathers."

Seriously, aside from the young woman who's father refuse to attend the wedding, who losing sleep over that action. :crazy:

reniram
08-02-2011, 07:28
Obey the Law, if you get locked-up and go to Rikers Island, you'll be very uncomfortable. You don't want to get caught carrying a Gun in NYC, Mandatory Jail sentence, ask Plaxico Burress.

Agree you always want to obey the law, but wasn't the Buress jail sentence for discharging the firearm? Pretty sure you'll will always be arrested in NYC for possession which is unpleasant enough, but is there really mandatory jail time for simple possession? There have been cases where NYC juries have acquitted depending on circumstance, like the recent case of a Florida permit holder who had a Glock in his glovebox while helping his GF move back to FL from NYC. Still cost him 50K in legal and travel expenses.

reniram
08-02-2011, 07:33
That's a bit more than fighting for your CCW rights. That's down right selfish to take a stand and prove a point on your daughter's wedding day. It's not like the government is saying "oh damn, maybe we should change these laws so there won't be other daddy's little girls getting hurt by insanely stubborn fathers."

Seriously, aside from the young woman who's father refuse to attend the wedding, who losing sleep over that action. :crazy:

I agree. The whole family issue is totally irrelevant to this thread anyway. You can't pick your family, but you can pick where you go on vacation. There are no legal consequences to having a .380 BUG in your pocket when visiting your anti-gun mom, going to your daughter's wedding, etc, while there can be legal consequences when visiting NYC.

fuzzy03cls
08-02-2011, 07:39
if you get locked-up and go to Rikers Island
Yeah you don't want this. My uncle was a guard there for 25 years.

Toorop
08-02-2011, 07:42
thats nuts. i hope he is the family member that is ignored and blacklisted

Why? He is fighting for his rights and beliefs. I suspect many would have done the same thing.

Toorop
08-02-2011, 07:43

And a dad's deathbed?

That is just how he is. He loves his guns and his gun rights. Many people on this forum would not go to places where they are not allowed to carry. I don't see how this is different.

Toorop
08-02-2011, 07:44
Yes, true statement if the folks in question are dysfunctional sociopaths. true red-blooded Americans:rofl: Fixed it for you.

Toorop
08-02-2011, 07:45

Exactly. Some people refuse to disarm and give up their freedom and their right to self defense. We should respect that.

Toorop
08-02-2011, 07:50

His daughter (my cousin) should have thought about that and chosen another setting. She should have planned the wedding better as she knows that her father is a stickler when it comes to his gun rights and CCW in particular. She was lucky nobody came in to shoot up the church that day as it was a gun free zone and obviously murderers would have the run of the place since CCW was prohibited. It was something her father was not willing to risk. You don't get to be old by taking chances needlessly. He said he stayed home and watched the "Die Hard" trilogy while cleaning his gun and doing defensive drills along with some dry firing. It is not selfish at all to want to survive and see another day.

I have seen many on this forum say they refuse to visit a relative who does not want them to carry their defensive firearms with them. I don't see how this is all that different.

nymike1
08-02-2011, 09:10
Why? He is fighting for his rights and beliefs. I suspect many would have done the same thing.

Pride cometh before the fall.

Who's he fighting for his rights? He's fighting his daughter. In the immortal words of Kenny Roggers - "You have to know when to hold'm and when to fold'm."

You cannot carry a gun into most public schools in the nation, does that mean parent teacher conferences should not be attended? You cannot carry it into court to fight a parking ticket. Does that mean you should pay the ticket even when you know you're right because going to court would mean disarming for 30 minutes?

TriggerFinger
08-02-2011, 10:21
His daughter (my cousin) should have thought about that and chosen another setting. She should have planned the wedding better as she knows that her father is a stickler when it comes to his gun rights and CCW in particular. She was lucky nobody came in to shoot up the church that day as it was a gun free zone and obviously murderers would have the run of the place since CCW was prohibited.

You blame the daughter? :rofl:

He said he stayed home and watched the "Die Hard" trilogy while cleaning his gun and doing defensive drills along with some dry firing.

:rofl::rofl:I could picture a grumpy old man at home caressing his pistol (whichever pistol) and cursing everyone that attended his daughter's wedding.

It is not selfish at all to want to survive and see another day.

It's not selfish to want to survive, but saying "obviously murderers would have the run of the place since CCW was prohibited" AT A WEDDING is a bit on the paranoid side. :crazy:

nymike1
08-02-2011, 10:50

:rofl::rofl:I could picture a grumpy old man at home caressing his pistol (whichever pistol) and cursing everyone that attended his daughter's wedding.

It's not selfish to want to survive, but saying "obviously murderers would have the run of the place since CCW was prohibited" AT A WEDDING is a bit on the paranoid side. :crazy:

When keeping it real goes wrong.

Toorop
08-03-2011, 08:17

It's not selfish to want to survive, but saying "obviously murderers would have the run of the place since CCW was prohibited" AT A WEDDING is a bit on the paranoid side. :crazy:. She knew it was going to be an issue for him. Like many here on Glocktalk he doesnt give up his rights. I could definitely see the need for CCW at a wedding. An ex-boyfriend or ex-husband showing up and doing something crazy, a few too many drinks in people can result in something bad, a terrorist attack as there have been many attacks in churches and religious temples, or one of numerous other scenarios we have discussed here on Glocktalk. Do you know when bad guys will strike? It can happen anywhere. So you think those of us who choose to carry everywhere legally are paranoid?

My uncle was not grumpy but saddened by his daughters poor choice of
a venue for her special day. He watched a video of it and it was good enough for him. He was honored that his brother in law, my dad, stepped up and walked his little girl down the aisle on her wedding day. I am sure he would do the same when my sister gets married (if he needed to and he was allowed to carry).

As I said before we never know when bad things will happen. I am sure a quick google search will reveal numerous bad incidents at weddings.

COLDSTEEL165
08-15-2011, 23:43
NYC ( Manhattan ) in & around the Theater district area & the South Sea Seaport & around Lincoln center etc. Is generally a safe area to visit & travel, but the borough's of Brooklyn & Queens & the Bronx do have rough area's if you don't know where to go & where to stay out of, then you may run into problem"s & wish that you did have a firearm with you.?

9x94
08-16-2011, 06:05

Daddy had always dreamed of this for his little girl:

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0910/redneck-wedding-demotivational-poster-1256603203.jpg

seanmac45
08-16-2011, 06:49
. She knew it was going to be an issue for him. Like many here on Glocktalk he doesnt give up his rights. I could definitely see the need for CCW at a wedding. An ex-boyfriend or ex-husband showing up and doing something crazy, a few too many drinks in people can result in something bad, a terrorist attack as there have been many attacks in churches and religious temples, or one of numerous other scenarios we have discussed here on Glocktalk. Do you know when bad guys will strike? It can happen anywhere. So you think those of us who choose to carry everywhere legally are paranoid?

Your posts have always made you seem to be an obnoxious liberal. This one, however, just renders you and your uncle to be sad little men worthy of pity. His actions with regards to his daughters wedding and your defense of same are inexcusable and well beyond the pale

Brucev
08-16-2011, 07:30
Spent a good bit of time in NYC the last two summers visiting family. Walked all over the place! Great city to see, visit, enjoy. Not a single problem no matter where we went. Out some nights till 2 a.m. and absolutely no problems. We didn't go looking for trouble. Didn't find any. You go and enjoy yourself. Take a break from all the magazines, shows, etc. where the everyone is looking over their shoulder to see if the tapping is from high heels or whatever. Pay attention to what's going on around you while you enjoy being out and about. Use your common sense. You'll be fine. Cheers!

Brucev
08-16-2011, 07:39

[QUOTE=TriggerFinger;17718049]You blame the daughter? :rofl:

It's not selfish to want to survive, but saying "obviously murderers would have the run of the place since CCW was p

. She knew it was going to be an issue for him. Like many here on Glocktalk he doesnt give up his rights. I could definitely see the need for CCW at a wedding. An ex-boyfriend or ex-husband showing up and doing something crazy, a few too many drinks in people can result in something bad, a terrorist attack as there have been many attacks in churches and religious temples, or one of numerous other scenarios we have discussed here on Glocktalk. Do you know when bad guys will strike? It can happen anywhere. So you think those of us who choose to carry everywhere legally are paranoid? Hum... somebody's been spending to much time memorizing "senarios" from magazines and the internet.

My uncle was not grumpy but saddened by his daughters poor choice of
a venue for her special day. He watched a video of it and it was good enough for him. He was honored that his brother in law, my dad, stepped up and walked his little girl down the aisle on her wedding day. I am sure he would do the same when my sister gets married (if he needed to and he was allowed to carry).

As I said before we never know when bad things will happen. I am sure a quick google search will reveal numerous bad incidents at weddings.

Your posts have always made you seem to be an obnoxious liberal. This one, however, just renders you and your uncle to be sad little men worthy of pity. His actions with regards to his daughters wedding and your defense of same are inexcusable and well beyond the pale. Could not have said it better myself. Perfect.

jdavionic
08-17-2011, 04:27
How'd ya do that?:wow:

Or better yet...how'd ya do that legally?

fla2760
08-17-2011, 20:36

Unless you are paying tolls on the VZ to get to your home in SI that is part of NYC, then it counts a lot for the mass transit that this toll is subsidizing :whistling:

seanmac45
08-18-2011, 05:19
Am I the only one that remembers that the toll was promised to have been eliminated once the construction of the bridge had been paid off?

cuban11182
08-18-2011, 06:05
When I was stationed in SI I remember visiting a guitar store on Bay Street where the guy said that they were going to tax only until they paid off the cost. If I remember correctly he said it was $0.70 or something like that. Last time I was there I think it was $8.00 to get across the VZ, but that was in 2004.:wow:

Billy10mm
08-18-2011, 08:03
When I was stationed in SI I remember visiting a guitar store on Bay Street where the guy said that they were going to tax only until they paid off the cost. If I remember correctly he said it was $0.70 or something like that. Last time I was there I think it was $8.00 to get across the VZ, but that was in 2004.:wow:

It's $13 to cross the bridge now.

reniram
09-05-2011, 13:36
An update - according to the NY Post there have been 31 shootings in the last 48 hours in NYC.

seanmac45
09-05-2011, 13:38
Welcome to the West Indian Day Parade Festivities.

Nothing new here, they engage in utter lawlessness in the week leading up to and during this annual travesty of a parade.

Patchman
09-05-2011, 19:43
Am I the only one that remembers that the toll was promised to have been eliminated once the construction of the bridge had been paid off?

This is a lie that is prevalent not only in NY but everywhere in this country. I think pretty much every highway or bridge that has a toll was originally promised that when the tolls collected enough $$$ to recoup the original cost, the tollboths were going to disappear.

Of course, once the politicians tasted how much $$$ was being generated annually, they couldn't give that up!

fla2760
09-06-2011, 01:04

I remember that "promise" too Sean. :whistling:

21Carrier
09-06-2011, 03:26
Wow, where do I begin. I guess I should make my stance clear first. Personally, I would never plan a trip to New York. I don't like the idea of my Second Amendment right being totally unrecognized there. I have been there before, and it offers nothing that I would like to see again. The people were exceptionally rude, it is dirty, expensive, and full of criminals. My mother's wallet was stolen in FAO Schwartz just 3 hours after arriving. We even got a picture of the perp since my dad was taking candid photos of us. We got a picture of the lady with her hand in my mom's purse.

However, if my girlfriend REALLY wanted to go, I'd take her. I would express my unhappiness, and try to visit somewhere more worthwhile, but I'd go, and I wouldn't be scared. I hate to break it to the NYC dwellers, but NYC is NOT one of the greatest places on Earth to me. Some of the greatest places on Earth would include the Grand Tetons, the Grand Canyon, Rome, Alaska, D.C. and many more. NYC may be great for some, but to me it is just a large city that is a tourist trap.

I would rather get off the beaten path and see something TRULY remarkable. You know, maybe stand on a glacier that less than 100 people have ever stood on before. How about sleep in a sleeping bag in a beach cave at the end of the Kalalau Trail on the island of Kaua'i, Hawaii. Or maybe waking up to one foot of snow and 25 degree weather at 7,500ft ASL at the south rim of the Grand Canyon, then hiking to the bottom to enjoy 80 degree weather that afternoon at 2,500 ft. These things are truly remarkable in my eyes, and usually much cheaper. If I'm going to give up my Second Amendment right on a vacation, I'm going to see or do something that is not seen or done daily by 7 million people.

I totally understand someone not going to NYC just because of them not wanting their rights violated. It has nothing to do with living in fear. It has everything to do with what our country is. It is about what our ancestors DIED to give us. FREEDOM. Not NYC, bull **** freedom, but REAL freedom. It's about having the RIGHT to be able to defend yourself from human trash. Our RIGHT TO LIVE is an inalienable right. We seem to forget this today. Our country's founders defied the king of England to give us this freedom, and we have almost let it slip away. We have the right to live, and defend our lives against all others. It is as simple as that. It is NOT ok that NYC thinks it can take that away from us. It is simply unacceptable.

That being said, the father that missed his daughter's wedding is absolutely nuts. That was his DAUGHTER. You give up anything for your family. Plus, he made a stand against no one. The ONLY person that suffered from his display was his daughter. That's just misplaced effort. He should use those feelings and effort against those that seek to ignore his rights, not his daughter.

reniram
09-06-2011, 05:41
Good post 21 Carrier.

BTW the number of people shot in NYC over the Labor Day weekend has been updated to 47.

fuzzy03cls
09-06-2011, 08:26
I thought guns were illegal in NYC?.........................................

I have the pleasure of going there next weekend. Joy.

seanmac45
09-06-2011, 08:32
Wow, where do I begin. I guess I should make my stance clear first.

Thank you for your long winded post.

No one in NY cares about your stance, just for the record.

Have a hot old time on your glacier..............................

21Carrier
09-06-2011, 11:24
Thank you for your long winded post.

No one in NY cares about your stance, just for the record.

Have a hot old time on your glacier..............................

You're welcome. I do tend to get overly long-winded. Typical New Yorker attitude, only caring about themselves. No one in the rest of the NATION cares about you guys either. If NYC and LA broke off the mainland today and floated out to see, we would wave goodbye. You need to get out of your precious city and see the real world and all it holds.

Really, just look two posts above yours. Forty-seven people murdered in one weekend. What a great place.

seanmac45
09-06-2011, 12:01
I wouldn't go to AL that's for damned sure.

Too much inbreeding for my taste.

fuzzy03cls
09-06-2011, 12:55
My grandma does. I also read it somewhere.
When I was stationed in SI I remember visiting a guitar store on Bay Street
Was that the one on the Wadsworth side? It was next to Wadsworth cars(taxi).

reniram
09-06-2011, 19:13
Forty-seven people murdered in one weekend.

They weren't all murdered, just shot. And the updated tally is now up to 67 for the weekend. That's a lot of shootings in a city where almost nobody is legally armed. Actually that would be a lot of shootings in a war zone.

21Carrier
09-07-2011, 01:04
I wouldn't go to AL that's for damned sure.

Too much inbreeding for my taste.

That's the best you've got? You're gonna ride that same old joke? And we also run around barefooted while we is tendin' to ar hogs, chikins, an' cows. Hell, I still ain't never seen a two-story billdin. I had a very proper upbringing, went to one of the best schools in the COUNTRY (public), and have traveled all over the country. Yet, I still have not found anywhere I would rather live than Birmingham, AL. Jackson Hole, WY would be a close second.

If you DID come down here, you would be amazed at how nice everyone is to you, especially strangers. Yes, hefty people abound, but no one would treat you like an ******* just because you weren't raised here. You would be quite welcomed. You wouldn't have to deal with the rudeness, the traffic, or the archaic gun laws. You also wouldn't have to carry your gun illegally (as you've been doing for 30 years). I've never had someone visit and not love Birmingham, but it may not be for you.

They weren't all murdered, just shot. And the updated tally is now up to 67 for the weekend. That's a lot of shootings in a city where almost nobody is legally armed. Actually that would be a lot of shootings in a war zone.

Right?! New York should be THE litmus test for the whole gun control crowd. It is absolute PROOF that gun control does absolutely NOTHING to stop criminals from using guns. Sixty-seven shootings in a weekend, and I'm sure less than 5 (if any) were legal or justified. Whole lot of good the gun control did them. If every citizen carried a gun, or even half did, criminals would SERIOUSLY think twice about crime. The police, the DA, jail, and even the death penalty don't scare or deter them, but I bet having a 50/50 chance of their victim shooting back sure would.

JuneyBooney
09-07-2011, 01:46

Pretend to be a biker and place a bandana through a padlock so it can be a weapon..legal and deadly. But check the laws before going anyway. Have fun.

mpow66m
09-07-2011, 06:28
You're welcome. I do tend to get overly long-winded. Typical New Yorker attitude, only caring about themselves. No one in the rest of the NATION cares about you guys either. If NYC and LA broke off the mainland today and floated out to see, we would wave goodbye. You need to get out of your precious city and see the real world and all it holds.

Really, just look two posts above yours. Forty-seven people murdered in one weekend. What a great place.
dont confuse NYC with the rest of the state,plz.been to NYC many a time,its not bad at all,plenty to do.
but i do hate the firearm laws and pols.cant wait to get out of the NE.

reniram
09-07-2011, 10:22
I've been to both Alabama and New York. Over the years New Yorkers have become a lot nicer than they used to be, but they've got a long way to go before they reach Alabama levels of niceness. I may be biased because I'm a southerner, but it's been my experience that people in the south are GENERALLY friendlier than people in the north. You can always find exceptions of course.

whoops dude
09-07-2011, 12:39
I just can't get long with people from NYC. Most I have met come across as arrogant with a superiority complex and just plain rude. No qualms with the city though; i just have no just desire to go. I prefer woods and deserts and the outdoors in general.

Billy10mm
09-07-2011, 12:40
You're welcome. I do tend to get overly long-winded. Typical New Yorker attitude, only caring about themselves. No one in the rest of the NATION cares about you guys either.

Einstein ... if you don't care about us, that means that you have typical New Yorker attitude, only caring about yourself. And no one said that we didn't care about others, he simply pointed out that if you're idea of a good time is to go hang out on a glacier, go ahead. Apparently millions of people per year enjoy coming to NYC, and only 100 people in the history of your glacier have ever thought going there was cool. "The Aye's have it." applies here one would think.

If NYC and LA broke off the mainland today and floated out to see, we would wave goodbye. You need to get out of your precious city and see the real world and all it holds.

I've traveled this country from coast to coast by motorcycle. Been to your Grand Canyon - a more boring place in this country does not exist. In the past two weeks I've attended three baseball games, one in NYC, another at Progressive Field in Cleveland, and a third at Wrigley Field in Chicago.

My 5 year old son has been to Mexico no less than five times, the Dominican Republic, Canada twice, Savannah, Myrtle Beach, Houston, and Oklahoma. The average NYC resident earns considerably more than the average American and I'd suspect that the average NYC resident who hangs out on GT earns considerably more than that since gun ownership in NYC is pretty damn expensive.

So why is it that you believe we aren't well traveled?

No Einstein, 47 shooting incidents, not 47 murders. The total number of shootings this weekend ended up being 67, with 10 dead. 48 of those shootings and 8 of those deaths were in Crown Heights, most decidedly NOT a tourist area. But with 67 shot, that's slightly less than 1 ten-thousandth of 1 percent of the population. Or, 1 percent of 1 percent of 1 percent of residents where shot during the entire weekend.

By contrast, in Grand Rapids Michigan on Thursday, 7 were killed. The city's population is 188K which means that more people per capita were killed in Grand Rapids on a single day than NYC over 3 days - by a factor of 37! The bottom line is that neither of these "incidents" are common in either of these cities which makes the stats COMPLETELY WORTHLESS.

But please, go about your NYC bashing, I wouldn't want to ruin your fun.