Mouse wheel preference? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mouse wheel preference?

CitizenOfDreams
07-22-2011, 22:43
What kind of mouse wheel you guys prefer - with detents, or free spinning?

I got a mouse with free turning wheel a few weeks ago (Microsoft Wireless 5000), and I still can't get used to it. The lack of detents makes scrolling the contents of folders way too fast and inaccurate. I already set the wheel speed to minimum, and it's already too slow for other programs such as web browsers and text editors.

Am I the only one having this problem? :dunno:

Also, does anyone really use the back/forward buttons and the tilting wheel?

janice6
07-22-2011, 23:33
What kind of mouse wheel you guys prefer - with detents, or free spinning?

I got a mouse with free turning wheel a few weeks ago (Microsoft Wireless 5000), and I still can't get used to it. The lack of detents makes scrolling the contents of folders way too fast and inaccurate. I already set the wheel speed to minimum, and it's already too slow for other programs such as web browsers and text editors.

Am I the only one having this problem? :dunno:

Also, does anyone really use the back/forward buttons and the tilting wheel?

I do for all of the above.

Logitech 5 button mouse. I wouldn't like it without the detents.

Owned for a few years. Laser is dropping it's output, the mouse is getting erratic. Pad material makes no dirrerence.

GotGlock1917
07-23-2011, 00:03
My PCs have wheels with detents.
My Macs have scroll buttons that roll smoothly.
I honestly do not have a preference.

MadMonkey
07-23-2011, 00:35
I only use detents, and I've run across at least one mouse that works HORRIBLY with them... my wireless that stays in my laptop bag. I'll scroll down, find a link I want to open, hit the middle mouse button... and it'll jump one detent up or down and hit something else. REALLY annoying on Reddit :rofl:

I use forward/back buttons frequently, both for web and folder browsing and stuff like going through slideshows and such.

BobbyT
07-23-2011, 00:42
Detents. If I want free scrolling, I click the mouse wheel and move the cursor to pick the speed.

Linux3
07-23-2011, 20:35
Detents. I like to adjust the movement of each click.
By the way... I really, really hate mouse pads!
Main reason I keep buying Thinkpads is they have a eraserhead mouse and 3 buttons.

Drjones
07-24-2011, 12:50
I have tried both & really have no preference either way.

My main PC has a smooth scroll wheel, but I have no issue using the ones with detents.

One thing's for sure, is I'm getting this sucker when it ever comes out:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/products/touch-mouse/microsite/

CitizenOfDreams
07-24-2011, 13:47
Meh... I'm not - and never will be - a fan of touch interfaces. The lack of tactile feedback is just unbearable for me. You can not feel the button, rest your finger on in and positively press it at the right moment.

rball
07-24-2011, 15:41
I have a Microsoft Trackball (circa 1996) where the scroll has a detent. The trackball has two rollers in it, and over time, dirt, etc. would stick to the rollers. Eventually, the detent within the the scroll wheel would, occasionally "catch". My daughter now has it (trackball mouse) on her computer, and has never complained - at least as much as a 7 year old would. I replaced the original MS Trackball in early 2002 with a MS Infared Trackball that has a detent scroll. I wish MS still made the same mouse today because I would equip all of my computers (house/work = 5 of them) with one. My work computer, and daily user computer has the traditional mouse, but with a smooth scroll wheel. Over the last 3 years, I have become acclimated to, and currently prefer, the smooth scroll wheel. If you are an IT professional or a heavy keyboard user, I would recommend the ergonomic keyboards and mouse - if you can adjust to them. Additionally, I've used Logitech products, and can't quite "warm" up to them. I am not trying to plug MS, but would recommend a MS mouse/keyboard over any other manufacturer. YMMV though.

MadMonkey
07-24-2011, 15:54
^^ I LOVE Logitech... my previous mouse was a Microsoft and my old MX518 is light-years ahead of it in comfort and feel (and reliability, it turns out).

Davegrave
07-24-2011, 16:17
I like detents.
But I hate mice. I'm all about a trackball. I think the mouse is an inferior system that will stay forever because no one wants to take the time to get accustomed to something better.

Trackballs are fantastic. You can leave the pointer in one spot and click over and over without the pointer moving a millimeter. No need for a pad. No picking it up when you run out of spots to scroll to. No getting to the edge of space when you're doing delicate work and not quite having that little bit more room to move the mouse to. The ball never stops. No need for cordless since the cord doesn't get in the way since the unit is stationary.

I have a Microsoft Explorer. Best I've used. Great scroll wheel. Forward and back browser buttons (best invention ever).
Since no one uses them they've been discontinued, but the ones that are still out there sell for hundreds of dollars because it's so hard to go back once you've seen the way.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-D68-00007-Trackball-Explorer/dp/B00005853Z/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1311545751&sr=8-23

CitizenOfDreams
07-24-2011, 19:25
Forward and back browser buttons (best invention ever).
Since no one uses them they've been discontinued, but the ones that are still out there sell for hundreds of dollars because it's so hard to go back once you've seen the way.

My brand new Microsoft mouse has the back/forward buttons. I personally have no use for them. I use the back button in the browser maybe once a month. As for the forward button, I can't think of any use for it at all. :dunno:

Davegrave
07-24-2011, 20:16
My brand new Microsoft mouse has the back/forward buttons. I personally have no use for them. I use the back button in the browser maybe once a month. As for the forward button, I can't think of any use for it at all. :dunno:

I use the forward button from time to time. If I click back on a page and then want to go back forward. But the back button? 1000 times a day. On gt.. I read a thread, then click back to the big list. Over and over. Way easier than moving the cursor up to the back arrow every time.

MadMonkey
07-24-2011, 20:40
On gt.. I read a thread, then click back to the big list. Over and over. Way easier than moving the cursor up to the back arrow every time.

Try clicking the thread title with the middle mouse button... or any other link for that matter...

CitizenOfDreams
07-24-2011, 20:47
But the back button? 1000 times a day. On gt.. I read a thread, then click back to the big list. Over and over. Way easier than moving the cursor up to the back arrow every time.

I guess it's just different browsing habits. I open threads and pages like that in a separate window, so when I'm done reading a thread I just close the window.

Davegrave
07-24-2011, 22:23
Try clicking the thread title with the middle mouse button... or any other link for that matter...

I've never seen a middle button on a mouse.

MadMonkey
07-24-2011, 22:28
I've never seen a middle button on a mouse.

Uh... press down on the scroll wheel? It's also a button (on the majority of modern mice).

Also, some old-school mice had 3 buttons... had one for my 386SX:

http://www.hp9845.net/9845/projects/mouse/images/mouse-accessories.jpg

Davegrave
07-25-2011, 06:38
Uh... press down on the scroll wheel? It's also a button (on the majority of modern mice).

Also, some old-school mice had 3 buttons... had one for my 386SX:

Well dip me in dog ****! :rofl:
I've been using this same trackball for about 8 years. I knew clicking the scroll wheel brought up that little floating scroll icon where you move your curser away from it and it constantly scrolls....
But over a link, it sure as hell opens a new window. Wow. :wavey:
That's gonna come in handy.

I doubt I'll start using it for my day to day browsing like some of you seem to. I don't like opening a new window for every thread. Then I have to go up and close the tab or click to the last tab. I like that back and forth buttons. Just faster and more intuitive for me.

MadMonkey
07-25-2011, 14:09
Well dip me in dog ****! :rofl:
I've been using this same trackball for about 8 years. I knew clicking the scroll wheel brought up that little floating scroll icon where you move your curser away from it and it constantly scrolls....
But over a link, it sure as hell opens a new window. Wow. :wavey:
That's gonna come in handy.

I doubt I'll start using it for my day to day browsing like some of you seem to. I don't like opening a new window for every thread. Then I have to go up and close the tab or click to the last tab. I like that back and forth buttons. Just faster and more intuitive for me.

Glad I could help, I actually discovered that one by accident :rofl:

Which browser do you use? In the newer IE, Chrome, and Firefox at least, clicking the middle button should open the link in a new tab rather than a new window.

Davegrave
07-25-2011, 17:47
Glad I could help, I actually discovered that one by accident :rofl:

Which browser do you use? In the newer IE, Chrome, and Firefox at least, clicking the middle button should open the link in a new tab rather than a new window.

Chrome. And yeah, I meant tab up there, not window.

Drjones
07-25-2011, 17:56
Middle-clicking on a tab will close the tab, too. :cool:

Also, for any tabbed browser: (I'm all about keyboard shortcuts!)

ctrl+tab cycles you through open tabs, left to right.

Ctrl+Shift+Tab cycles you through open tabs, right to left.

ctrl+W closes a tab.

ctrl+Shift+T reopens the tab you just closed, if you closed it by mistake.

Ctrl+T opens a fresh, blank tab.

CitizenOfDreams
07-25-2011, 17:58
I don't use tabbed browsing or combined taskbar buttons either. There's nothing wrong with giving each task its own window.

MadMonkey
07-25-2011, 18:04
Tabbed just makes it much simpler for me. Surfing preferences are HIGHLY subjective!

CitizenOfDreams
07-25-2011, 18:10
Surfing preferences are HIGHLY subjective!

Different [key]strokes for different folks, I guess. :wavey:

seancares
07-26-2011, 02:19
BOTH!

i have a logitech mx revolution

when i press the wheel down, it switches from 'detent' to 'free spin'

really useful for on the fly scrolling down a huge page

the mouse is still on the high end ($50-$75) but its my absolute favorite mouse ever made. perfect for gaming, browsing, anything.

but to answer the OP question, i use the 'detent' about 99.9% of the time. i hate the free-spin, especially for gaming

hamster
07-26-2011, 06:35
The best is the laptop joystick mouse. You know, the one that makes the cursor slowly drift up and left when not in use. :)
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/14288_classicdome.jpg

Davegrave
07-26-2011, 16:31
I like that Hamster couldn't resist posting in a thread about wheels. :rofl:

CitizenOfDreams
07-26-2011, 18:29
:laughabove:

IT0
07-27-2011, 13:41
Logitec makes one that has both. With the push of a button on the top of the mouse, the wheel no longer has the detents.

This works great because the detents work well for scrolling MS Offfice programs, and then you can hit the switch and speed scroll to the bottom of a large web page.

I think it is the M705

Google Logitec M705

CitizenOfDreams
07-27-2011, 14:18
and then you can hit the switch and speed scroll to the bottom of a large web page.

Wouldn't it be easier to click and drag the scroll slider instead? Or hit the "page end" key if you need to go to the very bottom? :dunno:

IT0
07-27-2011, 14:33
You might think so, but the wheel is also weighted and has a bearing, so with a flick of the finger the wheel spins away very fast all on its own, and is a great way to scroll at high speed. When you want to stop it, just put your finger back on it.

CitizenOfDreams
07-27-2011, 14:44
You might think so, but the wheel is also weighted and has a bearing, so with a flick of the finger the wheel spins away very fast all on its own, and is a great way to scroll at high speed.

The last time I saw something like that was the tuning knob on a 1950s tube radio.