Questions about red dot... im confused.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about red dot... im confused....

Peter95
07-23-2011, 12:01
I had the opportunity to handle an Eotech XPS2.0.

When I put this Sights down on the table.....look through the glass, and move my head to the left and right....the reticle moves with me.

If the point of aim shifts as my position shift, but the sight does not move...doesn't this make the the sight pretty much....useless?

Please explain my observations and how to counteract this.

I mean...If my head was always in the same position relative to the sight...ie good check weld on the stock etc...I don't see this as being a problem...but if I shift my firearm around tracking a target etc.....my eye would not be in the same position and poa and poi would not be the same....right? what's going on?

DJ Niner
07-23-2011, 14:57
With a magnifying sight like a scope, this might be a sign that the parallax was "off", and your point of impact might vary depending on your head position. With quality non-magnifying sights like the EOTech, there is much more leeway for your head to move and still keep the dot on-target. If you did the same experiment with the dot centered on a distant target, you would have seen that the dot was only moving around in relation to the body of the sight; the dot would have stayed on-target despite you moving your head to different positions. This is one of the reasons that people love high-quality non-magnifying red-dot sights; you don't HAVE to have a perfect cheek-on-stock, reticle-in-the-middle-of-the-sight alignment to still make a good hit on target.

conpro
07-24-2011, 07:13
As long as the dot is on the target it will hit the target no matter were it is in the field of view. (if it is sited in).

eracer
07-24-2011, 07:35
It is a common misconception that red dot sights are parallax-free. This is simply untrue.

You can move your head relative to the optical axis of the dot-target pair, and you will still hit the target - just not as precisely as if you kept your eye on axis.