Is the acog worth the money [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is the acog worth the money

conpro
07-23-2011, 18:51
I was thinking about ordering an acog but 1200.00 is alot of cash, are they worth the money. I just want something other than an eotech or aimpoint.

K1tt3n5
07-24-2011, 00:54
Yes..

eracer
07-24-2011, 05:03
If your criteria are:

1. An optic that does its job well - that job being the ability to range man-size targets out to 600 yards with a specific load from a specific platform.

2. An illuminated optic that does does not require batteries.

3. An extremely durable optic with good glass.

Then yes, the ACOG is worth the money.

Do not expect a multi-role optic (i.e. CQB and long-range,) or a precision long-range optic. The ACOG is neither of those things.

conpro
07-24-2011, 07:10
if your criteria are:

1. An optic that does its job well - that job being the ability to range man-size targets out to 600 yards with a specific load from a specific platform.

2. An illuminated optic that does does not require batteries.

3. An extremely durable optic with good glass.

Then yes, the acog is worth the money.

Do not expect a multi-role optic (i.e. Cqb and long-range,) or a precision long-range optic. The acog is neither of those things.

what is the minimum or closest target the acog can handle without being to close. Also does the front site post get in the way of the view.

eracer
07-24-2011, 07:18
what is the minimum or closest target the acog can handle without being to close. Also does the front site post get in the way of the view.I have the 3X TA33-GH. At 30 yards it's quite usable for defensive work. Closer than that and there are some issues. It's usable at those close ranges, because of something called BAC (which the ACOG has). It's just not as usable inside of 30 yards as a true 1X optic, or a red dot optic.

Read about BAC here (http://www.trijicon-inc.com/aiming.html). It's pretty cool, but again, the ACOG is ultimately a magnified optic, and presents some problems for target acquisition at close range.

off road
07-24-2011, 07:21
Yes....but I only bought one because of the price. Everything else has a red dot sight on it.

conpro
07-25-2011, 16:36
i have the 3x ta33-gh. At 30 yards it's quite usable for defensive work. Closer than that and there are some issues. It's usable at those close ranges, because of something called bac (which the acog has). It's just not as usable inside of 30 yards as a true 1x optic, or a red dot optic.

read about bac here (http://www.trijicon-inc.com/aiming.html). It's pretty cool, but again, the acog is ultimately a magnified optic, and presents some problems for target acquisition at close range.

good info thanks. Looks like the acog is what i want.