Valid CPL- LEIN stated EXPIRED??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Valid CPL- LEIN stated EXPIRED???

michpatriot
07-23-2011, 21:56
This afternoon I was stopped for not wearing my seatbelt...Promptly informed the officer that I have a Mich.CPL and was carrying. The officer returned to my vehicle with some shocking news..told me my CPL came back as expired and could he see the actual CPL again? I handed the unexpired ID to him, and he returned to his patrol car. After about 15min he returned and said that the LEIN check conflicted with the expiration date on my CPL and to have it checked out with the Wayne County Clerks office pronto...He then stated that he could indeed seize my weapon but that he did not believe my CPL was a forgery and sent me on my way with a seatbelt citation....WHEW! Bright and early monday morning I'm headed to the clerks office to see what this is all about..My Father And I were Issued temporary permits with the help of the Michigan State Police hounding the Clerks office. Michigan law states that if after FBI fingerprints come back Ok, the county has a set time to issue a permit and then they must issue a temporary or deny within I think it was 60 days< anyhow it was long past the deadline and I contacted the State police for help, and As far as I know we we were the first in Michigan to recieve these temps under this part of the guidelines. The temps were good until the next Gunboard meeting..Where we recieved our 5yr permits promptly..This will be Interesting to see how they handle this...My father and I are both going to the clerks office together because I feel there may be a problem on both of our CPL permits...This really burns me:dunno:

DaneA
07-23-2011, 22:31
At least you didn't end up in jail like another fellow whose story has been posted here (or in GNG don't remember)

kensteele
07-23-2011, 22:36
At least you didn't end up in jail like another fellow whose story has been posted here (or in GNG don't remember)

I think I remember that story. Computer error, who cares; not my problem....go to jail. IIRC a clerk fat fingered something or another. Bottom line is none of that should matter, I shouldn't have to have "my papers" in order just to exercise my right.

And I remember some folks said take it like a man and straighten it out later, no harm no foul. lol

HarleyGuy
07-23-2011, 22:42
This afternoon I was stopped for not wearing my seatbelt...Promptly informed the officer that I have a Mich.CPL and was carrying. The officer returned to my vehicle with some shocking news..told me my CPL came back as expired and could he see the actual CPL again? I handed the unexpired ID to him, and he returned to his patrol car. After about 15min he returned and said that the LEIN check conflicted with the expiration date on my CPL and to have it checked out with the Wayne County Clerks office pronto...He then stated that he could indeed seize my weapon but that he did not believe my CPL was a forgery and sent me on my way with a seatbelt citation....WHEW! Bright and early monday morning I'm headed to the clerks office to see what this is all about..My Father And I were Issued temporary permits with the help of the Michigan State Police hounding the Clerks office. Michigan law states that if after FBI fingerprints come back Ok, the county has a set time to issue a permit and then they must issue a temporary or deny within I think it was 60 days< anyhow it was long past the deadline and I contacted the State police for help, and As far as I know we we were the first in Michigan to recieve these temps under this part of the guidelines. The temps were good until the next Gunboard meeting..Where we recieved our 5yr permits promptly..This will be Interesting to see how they handle this...My father and I are both going to the clerks office together because I feel there may be a problem on both of our CPL permits...This really burns me:dunno:

THis sounds like a clerical error.
You're fortunate that you were stopped by a cop that apparently has some common sense.
Several months ago (as some pointed out) a Detroit gentleman was stopped and he produced his CPL as required. When the officer ran a check on him the computer also said that his CPL was expired.
He was arrested and the next day it was determined that it was a simple clerical error.
Wayne County needs to get their act together.

Please let us know how this works out for you.

cowboy1964
07-23-2011, 23:42
It may be worth verifying your info is correct in the system one or two weeks after renewing one's license. This question is going on my "what to ask" list for my renewal class.

Jason D
07-24-2011, 15:39
Last time I renewed mine, I received it back without an expiration date.
It very well could have been MI's first and last lifetime CCW permit.

michpatriot
07-25-2011, 19:29
Well I took a trip down to the Clerks office this morning and explained the issue with my CPL coming up expired when it's still valid for 3yrs and they promptly went into the computer system and fixed it...took about five minutes and I was on my way home.:wow::cool: