knife, tool, ax sheaths [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : knife, tool, ax sheaths

bdcochran
07-24-2011, 08:30
Many new and used knives, leatherman type tools, hatchets and axes are sold without sheaths.

Years ago, I addressed the hatchet and axes challenge by having a shoe repairman make them for me.

Over the years, I accumulated a pile of leatherman type tools and knives. For some units I wanted to have the brand name on the sheath. With others, I didn't care. Consequently, I investigated.

The cheapest place to obtain the tool and knife sheathes is on ebay. So cheap, that I keep a few extra sheaths on hand.

Last weekend, a mentor came into town and taught a class. I took a number of folder knives to the class and reviewed them with him. He does design knives as well. After discussing the merits, I conceded that cordura sheaths were more desirable than leather (a big concession on my behalf). Today I bought some cordura knife sheath.

When you buy sheaths, one size does not fit all. Make sure that you do your research.

B.Reid
07-24-2011, 11:07
Why is cordura better? It is hard to find a well made and designed sheath.

quake
07-24-2011, 13:29
Cordura & kydex both are objectively better than leather imo, but I confess I just prefer leather for everyday use for most things. I have a few exceptions, such as a couple kydex holsters for small glocks, neck peck sheath, etc, but overall I mostly stick with leather. That said, I do realize that that's just the old fart in me coming out; letting my personal preferences take priority over objective superiority.

Leather takes more maintenance, it often has a shorter lifespan, it's more vulnerable to heat/cold/elements, it's heavier, and it holds moisture. And due to those traits that leather has, things carried in leather tend to need more maintenance as well. Recognizing & accepting that increased maintenance is just the price to be paid for my choice; not the most practical choice objectively I realize, but a price I'm willing to pay for the benefit of using my preferred option.

At least I recognize that my preference is just that - personal preference; and not something I'd intentionally try to sway others toward.