Do you have multiples of your guns, and varied guns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you have multiples of your guns, and varied guns?

poodleshooter1
07-24-2011, 20:14
I like both the AK and AR, and lean heavily toward the AR, though I have not tested it long enough to completely move away from the AK platform just yet. So at what point do I move away from it and do I move away from AK and invest in more AR? Or have one of both? Two of both? 10 of both?:supergrin::rofl:

Javelin
07-24-2011, 20:26
I like both and own both.

Multiples of both.

:)

poodleshooter1
07-24-2011, 20:50
I like both and own both.

Multiples of both.

:)

:cool::wavey:

michael e
07-24-2011, 20:52
Only gun I truely own 2 of is a M-1 carbine. I have a sks ak mini 30 mini 14 ar but all are diff, have multi 1911s but none are the exact same( SS vs blued, 5in vs 4 3.5 barrel.) If you want multi then fine. I just have so many diff guns I want havent hit the multi of same exact gun yet.

lawman800
07-24-2011, 22:19
I have one of each gun but multiple AR's in various configurations. That is the only gun I can imagine having more than one of because you can build each one so that it really is unique and only share the magazines.

PlasticGuy
07-24-2011, 23:20
I'm all about redundancy. I'd much rather have two quality AK's that can share mags, parts, and ammo. Having two different platforms in two different calibers means that you need a lot of support gear and ammo to be able to feed and repair both types. It also means that you need two different skill sets, because all the controls except the trigger are different.

lawman800
07-25-2011, 02:57
I'm all about redundancy. I'd much rather have two quality AK's that can share mags, parts, and ammo. Having two different platforms in two different calibers means that you need a lot of support gear and ammo to be able to feed and repair both types. It also means that you need two different skill sets, because all the controls except the trigger are different.

Not really... I have a Glock 34 and Glock 26. Not the same guns, but uses the same ammo and same magazines. Same holsters also work for them as long as it is the open bottom type, which is what I buy. Even magazine holders work for the most part except sometimes the short 10 round magazines don't go all the way in some magazine carriers.

Add to that the Kel-Tec or AR conversion that takes a Glock magazine and you are well on the way to diversified arms which takes only 1 support mechanism

thejellster05
07-25-2011, 06:45
Mine are varied but I often think about selling and going to all Glocks, all .45 and getting better ARs.

cyrsequipment
07-25-2011, 07:12
I have multiple ARs but all are set up differently for different purposes. I don't feel the need to have 2 of the exact same things. Although I have a pile of parts hanging around for them so I think I could rebuild them if need be.

Pistols I mainly have Glocks but different sizes and 2 calibers. My shotguns are all mossbergs.

Then there is the pile of misc guns...

GeorgiaGlockMan
07-25-2011, 07:16
I have two kids.

There are some guns I want each to have.

So yes and yes (and in a few cases I am not ready to give mine up just yet).

quake
07-25-2011, 08:16
...at what point do I move away from it and do I move away from AK and invest in more AR?
I'd say when it's recognized as a "want to" and not a need to. A guy with an AR or two is equally equipped as a guy with an AK or two imo, and vice versa.

If he wants both, great; but I'd think it'd be better to be very-well set up in either world than 'kind of' set up in both worlds.

DoctaGlockta
07-25-2011, 08:45
When I buy I get two. Two is one and one is none.

RWBlue
07-25-2011, 08:57
I'd say when it's recognized as a "want to" and not a need to. A guy with an AR or two is equally equipped as a guy with an AK or two imo, and vice versa.

If he wants both, great; but I'd think it'd be better to be very-well set up in either world than 'kind of' set up in both worlds.

Although I agree with you, I think there is more too it.

There is collecting and there is S&P.
There is want and there is need.
There is also learning what you like, vs. just sticking with the first item you get.
There is also the notion that every time I sell a gun I lose money.

For collecting, collect everything you want and can afford.

For S&P, 1 type of rifle and a backup is probably all that is needed. AR, AR, SKS, G3, UZI.....I think the operator matters more than the gun.

For want, I have been suffering from the wants. The best thing to do is put a month of three delay in your plan. I will not get my next want until....pick a goal. By then, your wants will have passed.

Learning about different guns. I think there is some benefit to learn how to shoot all the major platforms. I was lucky enough to have a range where people let other people shoot a few rounds. Now where we pay by the hour, we don't even talk to each other at the range. I assume it it worthwhile to find ranges where you can rent guns. This way you don't have to buy a gun, find out it is not the best and then sell it to by the next one.

wjv
07-25-2011, 11:23
Except for two M1 Carbines, I do not have any identical guns. Except for the .444 Marlin, I do have at least 2 guns for each caliber that I have ammo for.

schild
07-25-2011, 16:44
I have two kids.

There are some guns I want each to have.

So yes and yes (and in a few cases I am not ready to give mine up just yet).

I have three grandchildren, also have 3-AR's, 3-AK's, 3- Glock's, 3-CZ's, etc..

poodleshooter1
07-25-2011, 18:57
Let me rephrase the question. Is it better to have 2 AR's and 2 AK's or 4 of either one.

Two is one and one is none, so that explains why at least two of each. But is the guy with four of one or the other better off than the guy with two of each? Different guns for different SHTF.

SilverCity
07-25-2011, 19:10
Four AKs in four different calibers: 308, 7.62x39, 223, 5.45x39 will cover most ammo contingencies.

SC

PlasticGuy
07-25-2011, 19:18
Let me rephrase the question. Is it better to have 2 AR's and 2 AK's or 4 of either one.

Two is one and one is none, so that explains why at least two of each. But is the guy with four of one or the other better off than the guy with two of each? Different guns for different SHTF.
I think that if you use the 4x redundancy as an excuse to stock spare parts, mags and ammo it is good. Likewise, if all of your training is on one platform, you win. Multiple platforms is only an advantage if they fill significantly different roles. I don't think that's true of the AK and AR.

Huntersun2
07-25-2011, 19:42
Redundency rules....go narrow and deep (2-3 of each) with part's/mags and ammo for each plateform, then add specific weaponary as needed.

9mm +p+
07-25-2011, 21:33
2 is 1, yep a primary and a backup of ALL SHTF weps.

poodleshooter1
07-25-2011, 23:02
I think that if you use the 4x redundancy as an excuse to stock spare parts, mags and ammo it is good. Likewise, if all of your training is on one platform, you win. Multiple platforms is only an advantage if they fill significantly different roles. I don't think that's true of the AK and AR.

But there is something to be said for familiarity with both platforms. You can practice how to operate and armor both. Might not require a two is one, one is none philosophy for familiarity training, just one would do. So I'm still not sure....Heck, I'm not even sure AR is the way to go just yet. I like to try it out for a looooong time to know what it is capable of.

Aceman
07-26-2011, 16:14
Why would any self-respecting AK shooter want to pick up a bunch of jammed AR gopher rifles during SHTF? :tongueout:

My rule: One long gun and one pistol for each adult shooter. Backups of those guns are preferred. They should all be in COMMON calibers. They should be in EFFECTIVE stopping calibers.

How many guns do you really think you'll need? How many can you shoot at once? How many can you carry.

If I have a pistol, an AK, and a 12g....and minimal ammo for each, I am not a happy camper.

PlasticGuy
07-26-2011, 16:32
But there is something to be said for familiarity with both platforms. You can practice how to operate and armor both. Might not require a two is one, one is none philosophy for familiarity training, just one would do. So I'm still not sure....Heck, I'm not even sure AR is the way to go just yet. I like to try it out for a looooong time to know what it is capable of.

My go to rifles are AK's and SCAR 17's, but I have an AR and a SCAR 16 for training. Having guns specifically for training is valid, as long as you already have what you need.

Commander_Zero
07-27-2011, 12:15
One is none, two is one.

If you can swing it, multiples of each. If you cant swing it, pick the platform most appropriate for your needs, sell the other one, and use the funds to expand the platform you chose.

And although an extra gun is a 'complete spare parts kit', realistically it makes more sense to have spare parts, especially since some parts are more prone to breakage, more frequently, than others.

gimmejr
08-01-2011, 08:34
I would say if you cant afford two of the same gun at least have spare parts for it, pins, springs etc.

tc556guy
08-01-2011, 09:05
I buy guns because I can justify a particular expense. Buying multiples of the same gun isn't a justifiable expense for myself. Spend your money as you see fit.

pugman
08-01-2011, 16:58
I don't own any...

just like all my gold and silver coins...there was this terrible boating accident

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-01-2011, 17:06
Redundancy is THE answer.. cripes, I have 5 claw hammers.

LongGun1
08-01-2011, 18:54
Four AKs in four different calibers: 308, 7.62x39, 223, 5.45x39 will cover most ammo contingencies.

SC

Though I can see your reasoning for the multi-calibers...

Imagine if SHTF.....you & family were defending your home with the weapons you mentioned..

..adult shooters and those that cannot shoot...are loading magazines for those who are!

Loud, frantic & chaotic scenario..

..and magazines & ammo are piling up on the floor in front of those loading...

The mags for the 7.62x39mm, 5.45x39mm & 5.56x45mm AK/AKM are very similar..

..and the ammo is fairly easy for an inexperienced non-shooter (especially under extreme stress) to confuse one for another also...

9 different combinations of ammo to magazine...only 3 of which are correct.

9 different combinations of magazine to weapon....only 3 of which are correct.

Not to mention the similar parts when field stripping.

If SHTF......potential exists for SNAFU to full-on FUBAR! :shocked:

Mainly for the reasons above..and interchangeable spare parts..

My family & close friends have commonality with many AR's in 5.56x45mm, many AKM in 7.62x39mm, many Saiga-12s & many PSL in 7.62x54R...

..though some have a few non-standard caliber/weapon combos in their collection..

(such as 7.62x25mm/AR, 7.62x39mm/AR, 5.45x39mm/AKM, etc)

..I have made it very clear those would not be welcome in a "SHTF Group Setting"!

Magazines & Ammo for the 2 intermediate caliber weapons (AR & AKM) are distinctive enough not to be easily confused..

..if a future rainy day puts us in the same location similar to the scenario above.

For example..

Most of my close family's PSLs....but not including friends..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/PSLs007-1.jpg

Most of my close family's Polish underfolder AKMs....many more Yugos/MAK-90/NHM-91/Saiga/etc... & not including other family/friends

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/PICT0653.jpg

Some of the close family's Saiga-12s...not including other family/friends

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/PICT3130_edited.jpg

YMMV

quake
08-01-2011, 19:21
Very good point. One guy I know (don't really like him, but know him) shot at a deer and his bolt-action 7mm-08 made, in his words, "a funny whooshing sound", and no bullet impact was evident - hit or miss neither one. So being a brainchild, he jacks another round into the chamber and pulls the trigger. Same "funny whooshing sound". The deer ran off at the second shot, so he decides to stop shooting and check his gun and ammunition.

Ammunition was fine - good factory 7mm-08 loads. But (having identical 700's in multiple calibers; same scope, same everything) he'd grabbed his .308 gun instead of the 7mm-08 one.

Only cost him a deer that time. If he'd made the same mistake but in reverse (.308 ammo and 7mm-08 gun), the rounds would have loaded and fed fine, just shoving the bullet back into the case upon chambering, and the gun would have likely blown up in his face.

Of course this is the same guy who borrowed a crossbow, and when touching off a shot from his tree stand, decided to brace the limb of the bow against the trunk for better stability. Larry was naturally too macho to wear a safety harness, and when the bow limb released it became a competition to see which was easier to move - Larry or the tree. It launched him from the tree, breaking his arm when he landed. Larry still hunts, but not around me.

Regardless, I've vowed to never be a Larry. My 1911's are .45acp only, my glocks are 9mm only, my ak's are x39 only, my ar's are 5.56 only, etc. Not knocking any that do otherwise - I think I'd enjoy having glocks in .357 sig and 10mm, and a 1911 in .38 super as well; just not going to do it because I make enough stupid mistakes without inviting them.

poodleshooter1
08-01-2011, 19:38
Not to mention ammo and mag compatibility.

Glock1963
08-01-2011, 20:35
I have 5 Russian SKS rifles and they're all shooters.

I have 2 Mini 14's.

I have 2 P89 Ruger 9mm pistols.

LongGun1
08-02-2011, 16:44
Very good point. One guy I know (don't really like him, but know him) shot at a deer and his bolt-action 7mm-08 made, in his words, "a funny whooshing sound", and no bullet impact was evident - hit or miss.

Only cost him a deer that time. If he'd made the same mistake but in reverse (.308 ammo and 7mm-08 gun), the rounds would have loaded and fed fine, just shoving the bullet back into the case upon chambering, and the gun would have likely blown up in his face.

Good example....I know a few "Larrys" also....some humorous & some not so humorous stories!

Now imagine if the story you related had been during a major SHTF...

..the former scenario "Larry" would have been a ineffective shooter..

..possibly or probably losing his corner to the marauders..

.. & costing everyone in his group their lives or worse!

In the latter scenario...besides an sudden unnerving explosion in their midst..

..likely Larry's flesh & blood would be all over anyone nearby..

..that distraction combined with Larry's screaming..

..would be a very chaotic scene..

(1 shooter down & the rest distracted or even injured by the Ka-boom)

..that could allow the marauders the advantage needed to overcome the defenders.

IMO....one caliber per similar weapon in a group is a basic form of K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) :supergrin: