1911 For Carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 For Carry

joemannnnn
07-25-2011, 09:43
Well My bank account hates me, but after some extensive research I decided to pick up a Dan Wesson CCO. I told myself I would wait and save, but I became more and more impulsive the more I read about them. I decided to check with the LGS to see if it is something they could get their hands on. Typically they don't have many 1911's, just some lower end guns from the big name companies, certainly never a DW. My recent 1911 addiction has forced me to buy online and have them transfer for me. I couldn't believe it when they said they had a CCO in the store, it was meant to be right? Well At least that's what I keep telling myself. I drove there after work with some trade bait in case I decided to go for it, but first I wanted to see what all the hype was about. The pistol was exactly what I was looking for in terms of a carry gun and was built great. I traded in my last polymer gun (Ruger LCP) and slapped the balance on my credit card and headed home. I probably didn't get the best deal on earth, but was happy to give them the business, and didn't need to worry about any online deals gone bad. The quality of this gun is great, tight fit, great parts, easily compares to my Les Baer (broken in) in terms of fit, and probably beyond my STI Trojan. I can't wait for the range. All I need now is to find a way to pay off the credit card I charged it on. What organs can I live without? Oh yea, what really matters, the pictures:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WXmaPR6zonQ/Ti9T88tY8ZI/AAAAAAAAAWs/QJLtQkDiLDs/s912/DSC_0103.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VEGi7z-WJG8/Ti9T-cvG11I/AAAAAAAAAWw/Ajk3cfVchnc/s912/Online.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-UxbWcMoD1Mk/Ti9T6bvtKeI/AAAAAAAAAWo/IlXdvyZA2VE/s912/DSC_0102.JPG

fnfalman
07-25-2011, 10:40
Just find a Colt Officer's ACP and call it a day.

okie
07-25-2011, 10:43
I wear short pants all the time, and I have no problem with carrying a full sized 1911:supergrin:

okie
07-25-2011, 10:44
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/okie1911/moto_0070.jpg

Small Tony
07-25-2011, 11:19
Tagged...I'm going through the same transformation on another thread.

jstephens202
07-25-2011, 11:24
I'm not a big guy, 5'9"/200(okay so I'm fat) but I have carried one of my full size Springer 1911's concealed for years. I use a Blade-Tech "Nano" IWB holster and find everything conceals fine under just a XL t-shirt or polo. Best advice(which I heard from my first FTO) is this: Concealed carry means you fit your clothing around your gun, not your gun around your clothing. Otherwise, we'd all be carrying .25's......
Even during my younger (20's/30's) skinner days, I was still able to carry my 1911 because I followed that advice.
See Hilton Yam's articles at 10-8 Performance.com for reasons to carry a full size.
I carry my full size 1911's almost daily. But when I can't, I use a Glock 36....just my 2 cents worth!:whistling:

tango44
07-25-2011, 11:35
Commander and G19 here in Sunny FL, no problem at all.

drc767
07-25-2011, 11:41
The CCO's are a good choice for concealed 1911 carry. The two that come to mind that most seem to rave about (myself included) are the DW CCO and the Les Baer Stinger. I don't know the Stinger has quite the positive following as the DW only because some have had issues with not being able to slingshot the pistol, but the pistol itself is a very nice shooter and carries real nice. If that matters to you, it appears it is a roll of the dice as to if you will get one that will slingshot. I had read so many rave reviews on the DW CCO, I decided to get one for myself a couple weeks ago to see what all the buzz was about. From the first trip to the range with it, I understand the love for this pistol. It is built with very high quality parts that are fit professionally. The example I got was a tack driver. I am sold on this little guy. As far as a Commander or Government steel pistol, I don't find them difficult to EDC, either. I have tried to carry my Glocks on occasion, but the thickness of them compared to the 1911 drives me crazy, even though I am sure I would get used to them if I actually gave them a chance. The key to successful 1911 carry is a high quality belt and finding a good, quality holster that works for you. I EDC a 1911 of some sort every day......and will never do anything but.....

midliferally
07-25-2011, 11:41
I think it might be hotter in NC right now than Fla. I couldn't carry with a leather holster, it would mildew from being soaked with sweat. Ask me how I know.......

skdmrklcy
07-25-2011, 11:54
I like a good Commander size weapon, never owned a bobtail but I could see how it could help.

I think if you have a full-size you like you can give a shot. I do not think you will see a really big change in the size of it.

I like to stay with Full Size stuff and the Tiny stuff, the middle just is not for me.

dakota1911
07-25-2011, 12:04
I carry a Colt Commander and don't have a problem, but everybody is different.

glock2740
07-25-2011, 12:06
The CCO's are a good choice for concealed 1911 carry. The two that come to mind that most seem to rave about (myself included) are the DW CCO and the Les Baer Stinger. I don't know the Stinger has quite the positive following as the DW only because some have had issues with not being able to slingshot the pistol, but the pistol itself is a very nice shooter and carries real nice. If that matters to you, it appears it is a roll of the dice as to if you will get one that will slingshot. I had read so many rave reviews on the DW CCO, I decided to get one for myself a couple weeks ago to see what all the buzz was about. From the first trip to the range with it, I understand the love for this pistol. It is built with very high quality parts that are fit professionally. The example I got was a tack driver. I am sold on this little guy. As far as a Commander or Government steel pistol, I don't find them difficult to EDC, either. I have tried to carry my Glocks on occasion, but the thickness of them compared to the 1911 drives me crazy, even though I am sure I would get used to them if I actually gave them a chance. The key to successful 1911 carry is a high quality belt and finding a good, quality holster that works for you. I EDC a 1911 of some sort every day......and will never do anything but.....
The Wilson ULCc is even better than those two. :cool:

seanmac45
07-25-2011, 12:07
The TALO Colt Wiley Clapp 21st Century Commander is very nicely set up right from delivery. It is a lightweight to boot.

skdmrklcy
07-25-2011, 12:50
Those Wiley Clapp Colts are nice looking Pistols!

joemannnnn
07-25-2011, 13:20

Hey Dave, it is precisely your review of the DW CCO that has gotten me into this mess. :crying: I thought I was good for awhile, was going to start saving to buy a Pro from you, and then your review happened. Now I don't know what to do. I am going to visit Beltman tomorrow to look at some belt options. After reading several reviews, I went to his site to look at options, wouldn't ya know he is in my backyard. So I can at least check the belt off the list. Now I need to decide gun and holster.

midliferally
07-25-2011, 13:42
Joe, Beltman is in my backyard too!! I'm in F-V. Thanks for the info!!!
Sorry for the High-jack!!!
P.S. I'm on Dave's Pro list too. Maybe we can organize a shoot sometime??
I'm close to Drakes Landing.....

joemannnnn
07-25-2011, 13:48
Joe, Beltman is in my backyard too!! I'm in F-V. Thanks for the info!!!
Sorry for the High-jack!!!
P.S. I'm on Dave's Pro list too. Maybe we can organize a shoot sometime??
I'm close to Drakes Landing.....

I'm in HS, and work in Apex. We definitely should organize a shoot. Haven't been to Drake's yet, I have friends that go there often, I just go to the county range.

drc767
07-25-2011, 14:25
Hey Dave, it is precisely your review of the DW CCO that has gotten me into this mess. :crying: I thought I was good for awhile, was going to start saving to buy a Pro from you, and then your review happened. Now I don't know what to do. I am going to visit Beltman tomorrow to look at some belt options. After reading several reviews, I went to his site to look at options, wouldn't ya know he is in my backyard. So I can at least check the belt off the list. Now I need to decide gun and holster.

Good deal. You will not be disappointed with the CCO. I am supposed to be having a bunch of Brommeland Max Con V holsters for 1911's land here any day now. They are a high quality, very comfortable IWB that would go real well with your Beltman belt.......without the normal wait times you would expect to get any quality leather holster. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

KillStick
07-25-2011, 16:03
Get a good holster and belt, the full size 1911 will disappear. I carry my TRS Baer with no issues.

BlayGlock
07-25-2011, 16:09
I switch from a g19 to a fullzise 1911. No problems carrying the 1911 concealed in the Texas heat with good holster. I just got a very nice one in from Cane & Derby and I highly recommend them for kydex.

Hokie1911
07-25-2011, 18:49
I switched from this...
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/HokiePS7/20f87540.jpg

...to this. No problems whatsoever with the extra 12oz of weight carrying daily.
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/HokiePS7/carrystuff002.jpg

Lots of good choices. DW CCO, DW Guardian, DW VBOB, or take it up a notch to the Kobra Carry, Executive Carry, or Special Forces Carry. Wilson makes a bunch of sweet carry guns as well. The only thing that will determine your choices is the size of your bank account. :supergrin:

thinktwice
07-25-2011, 19:59
Take a look at the Springfield Micro Compact. I have the Bi-Tone loaded model and it's a great carry pistol. Very accurate, and reliable. I also have a Kimber Ultra CDP I carry from time to time, and it is reliable and accurate also.

drc767
07-25-2011, 21:22
The Wilson ULCc is even better than those two. :cool:

Wait till you actually hold and shoot the DW before you make that statement, Cowboy.....:)

Rimcrew
07-26-2011, 10:15
I own a few DW CCO's, a few Stingers, and HAD a Wilson CQB Compact (CCO). The DW's are nice if you like an alloy frame. If you want to shoot it a bunch, I would get a Stinger. That is now my EDC, and I shoot it every week in a steel match. I have close to 7000 rounds through it and it just runs and runs.

Good luck, many choices to deal with...

samuse
07-26-2011, 10:29
I've tried a bobtailed Commander and it didn't conceal or carry any better than 5" for me.

The bottom front corner of the grip is what prints and it's still in the same place. I think the bobtail would be more comfortable if the back of the grip pokes you in the side.

I almost always carry a Glock 19, but would love to try a lightweight CCO size gun...

Shortimer
07-26-2011, 11:58
I live on the east coast of NC & my EDC has been a Sig C3 & I have zero complaints with it. I've always wanted an EMP in 9mm & I just got one about a week ago. After around 400 rds and a polished feed ramp she seems to be running like a top. I carry it in a De Santis 106 Tuck & Go style holster & I am very happy with it.

Z28ricer
07-26-2011, 12:00
I own a few DW CCO's, a few Stingers, and HAD a Wilson CQB Compact (CCO). The DW's are nice if you like an alloy frame. If you want to shoot it a bunch, I would get a Stinger. That is now my EDC, and I shoot it every week in a steel match. I have close to 7000 rounds through it and it just runs and runs.

Good luck, many choices to deal with...

What makes you say the stinger will be better from a "shoot it a bunch" standpoint ?

rvrctyrngr
07-26-2011, 13:21
What makes you say the stinger will be better from a "shoot it a bunch" standpoint ?

Probably because an all steel gun tends to hold up to a lot of shooting than an aluminum framed gun.

Z28ricer
07-26-2011, 15:56
Probably because an all steel gun tends to hold up to a lot of shooting than an aluminum framed gun.

I started to figure that, but with kimber stating that they've tested over 20k through their alum frames, without issues.

Wilson also stating similar with their aluminum frames.

And the Wesson CCO having a ramped barrel anyway, I think one would have a hell of a time putting some sort of measurable wear on the dw cco.

rvrctyrngr
07-26-2011, 17:42
I started to figure that, but with kimber stating that they've tested over 20k through their alum frames, without issues.

Wilson also stating similar with their aluminum frames.

And the Wesson CCO having a ramped barrel anyway, I think one would have a hell of a time putting some sort of measurable wear on the dw cco.

Don't disagree with you at all, 'ricer. Just seems to be a popular theory.

Personally, I wouldn't blink at shooting a good aluminum frame as much as I shoot anything else.

:cheers:

Z28ricer
07-26-2011, 18:10
Don't disagree with you at all, 'ricer. Just seems to be a popular theory.

Personally, I wouldn't blink at shooting a good aluminum frame as much as I shoot anything else.

:cheers:

Trust me, its on my head too, as i'd prefer to buy one with a ramped barrel rather than non, in aluminum frame.

If Kimber were just making that claim on theirs, it would be one thing, wilson also standing behind theirs also though, makes me think its not as much of an issue as i'm afraid of.

69Charger
07-26-2011, 18:14
I Open Carry, so conceal is not a prob. And its kind of refreshing.
No more printing worries.
Dave
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv339/69Charger123/P4286042.jpg

Z28ricer
07-26-2011, 18:19
I Open Carry, so conceal is not a prob. And its kind of refreshing.
No more printing worries.
Dave
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv339/69Charger123/P4286042.jpg

Some of us dont have it that good :tongueout:

69Charger
07-26-2011, 18:22
Some of us dont have it that good :tongueout:
I understand. We have it pretty dang good up here. :)
Dave

joemannnnn
07-26-2011, 19:49
Update

knedrgr
07-26-2011, 21:20
Congrats on the DW CCO! You'll really like it. Mine has been fantastic.