Is the 357sig going under? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is the 357sig going under?

DNS
07-25-2011, 11:17
It seems like there are less and less pistols available. Is it going to be like the 41mag.?

austinguy23
07-25-2011, 23:40
lol, no....plenty of police departments carry it including the U.S. Secret Service.

RMD
07-26-2011, 05:42
Long as Glock & SIG keep making them, it'll be OK.

BuckyP
07-26-2011, 06:39
Long as Glock & SIG keep making them, it'll be OK.

I know HK has been slowly dropping it. Isn't it still available in the P2000? :dunno:

Let's not forget:
http://www.lipseys.com/eImages/M&P357.jpg

austinguy23
07-26-2011, 07:08
I know HK has been slowly dropping it. Isn't it still available in the P2000? :dunno:

Not that I've seen. Both the p2000 as well as the p2000sk are available in .357 Sig.

DNS
07-27-2011, 04:49
While shopping at my local gun store for a M&P 357sig barrel, I was told they can't get any factory barrels. They said s&w was dropping the 357 sig line.

BuckyP
07-27-2011, 05:55
While shopping at my local gun store for a M&P 357sig barrel, I was told they can't get any factory barrels. They said s&w was dropping the 357 sig line.

That would be bad news for the New Mexico State Police if it were true.

The Retired Sarge
07-27-2011, 09:11
S&W is still producing the 357SIG M&P models but only for LE sales and not to the general public. A LE dealer can order them under the First Responder Program. Bill

austinguy23
07-27-2011, 17:12

Some of the most ridiculous information I've ever received has been from gun store employees.

DNS
07-28-2011, 05:29
I ask over at the S&W forum, and was told the same as in the above post. S&W is only producing the 357sig for law enforcement only. Not enough civilian sales.

G33
07-28-2011, 17:38
Not going under.
But, its market share has set.
It came out too late compared to the .40 S&W.
:wavey:

Angry Fist
07-28-2011, 17:39
Long Live .357 SIG!

Hope I didn't waste munny on a barrel.

bac1023
07-31-2011, 12:42
I don't think its going anywhere for quite a while.

leeward419
08-01-2011, 17:08
I think the advantages to the 9mm and its place between the 40sw, and its really great ballistics with decent handling(recoil) characteristics will keep it around for a long long time.

fredj338
08-01-2011, 17:19
Unlike the 41ma, many LEA carry it, so it will be with us for awhile. The 10mm has a better chance of dying out as there just aren;t that many guns made for it.

sgtbones
08-02-2011, 14:17
Just joined the club with a glock 31 and 32.:cool:

RMD
08-02-2011, 16:58
Just joined the club with a glock 31 and 32.:cool:

Nice! Welcome to the "it's not just a more expensive +p 9mm" club :)

Free Radical
08-02-2011, 17:13
To paraphrase Mark Twain, rumors of its demise are premature.
You hear the same thing about the 10mm., .45GAP and many others.
Not gonna happen.

15GLOCKGUY
08-02-2011, 17:17
I still own and use them. I have them both in GLOCKS and SIGS. I also own a G-20 and G-29 10MM. I'm a reloader, so it doesn't make me a bit a of difference. I can load them for the same as anything else. If you don't reload, I'd get something else.

15GLOCKGUY
08-02-2011, 17:18
Nice! Welcome to the "it's not just a more expensive +p 9mm" club :) A "flatter" shooting and more ACCURATE club! <wink>

HKLovingIT
08-03-2011, 14:55
It seems like there are less and less pistols available. Is it going to be like the 41mag.?

I hope not. I'm trying to get conversion barrels for my .40s and a G33 in the mix. At this point I can order American Eagle .357 SIG cheaper than 180gr .40 S&W and Gold Dots cost what Gold Dots always cost so I no longer see an economic advantage to .40. Aside from all that, I think I just like what the .357 SIG has going on compared to .40 these days.

c5367
08-03-2011, 21:09
I doubt its going under. It's currently the 2nd most carried cartridge among state police depts after the 40.

I am a bit disappointed that S&W discontinued the M&P357. I love mine. They've pretty much guaranteed that I go back to Team Glock with that move. Unless of course, I finally figure out how to shoot a DA/SA Sig P226 as quickly and accurately as a striker fired weapon.

I suppose it works out, though. A Gen 4 G31 might be a good thing to put my GSSF card to use on. I love the cartridge, and can reload it almost as cheap as 9mm, cheaper than 40, and WAY cheaper than my favorite cartridge, the mighty 10mm. Power, economy, accuracy.... the 357 Sig a big winner in my book.

Now, only if USPSA would follow IPSC and allow it as a major PF cartridge in Limited/L10!

unit1069
08-06-2011, 15:36

Saw a fellow at the range this morning shooting a brand new .357sig H&K P2000 sub-compact. I was there shooting my Glock G-32 and we admired our pistols. It was his first time shooting .357sig and his new handgun and he was awed by both the H&K and the caliber.

I think .357sig is actually gaining momentum as a caliber, judging by the number of spent casings left at the range. It used to be I'd only be able to pick up casings I'd fired; now I occasionally come across a bunch other shooters left on the ground.

I had been shooting a new 9mm sub-compact in the past six weeks and hadn't shoot my G-32 much. It's far more accurate at 25 yards and out than any other pistol I own and I was regularly hitting a small makeshift cardboard square target somebody left at about 35-40 yards. If I put the stock Glock front sight on the target the .357sig hits that target as long as I keep my aim steady. Even the misses were very close.

skip a stone
08-10-2011, 13:14
I too hope this round stays around for a long while to come. Sweaney didn't help recently when he predicted that it would probably fade out of use, and become a curiosity in a handgun magazine article. There are a lot of people that will jump on what ever the latest buzz is in firearms, and considering that a lot of law enforcement departments use the 357 Sig, especially for barrier penetration (my hometown PD as well) I thought it was a bit of a premature stretch for him to make a statement like that in a gun rag. I know next to Ayoob and a few others high profile gun experts there are a few people that could keep or kill a particular round based on just their opinion on any given day. What will end up keeping anything around really comes down to supply and demand. Hopefully there will be enough people buying to keep sales up enough to justify producing the 357 Sig. I know since it's a bottlenecked 9mm it doesn't help that I save my brass, and handload a lot of my practice ammo. Bullet makers don't know that when I buy a couple cases of 9mm bullets I'm making what will eventually become 357 Sigs.

clarkstoncz
08-10-2011, 14:16
I surely hope not.

Bought a G32 for my wife, and now a G33 for me today.

I love it when she says..you better get one (insert name of gun) to go with mine.

Ammo is more expensive than 9mm or .40 but much more fun to shoot.

RMD
08-11-2011, 02:49
I surely hope not.

Bought a G32 for my wife, and now a G33 for me today.

I love it when she says..you better get one (insert name of gun) to go with mine.

Ammo is more expensive than 9mm or .40 but much more fun to shoot.

His and Her .357 SIGs.

Nice!

sgtbones
08-11-2011, 17:51
Shot my 31 today SWEEEEEEEEET.

clarkstoncz
08-11-2011, 20:33
The G31 is next on my list.

That and a G17 barrel from Lone Wolf so I can shoot up all the hot 9mm+P
reloads that I've had for a few years, if I run out of money for .357 ammo.

Glock 17s and 31s fit me the best but are harder to conceal than my G33
as carried for backup to my 9mm CZs.

I look forward to saving for-or trading into a Glock 31 this fall.

With CZ quality and workmanship and the tough as nails/powerful Glocks.

It's a winning combination!

michael e
08-11-2011, 20:44
I have seen a few people actually shooting 357sig at range. Like someone else said used to just be my casings. I already own 3 and not looking to add any more but would like more people to shoot it so I can add to my brass collection.

BuckyP
08-12-2011, 06:21
I just did some brass scavenging at the range I work at. Usually when sifting for .40s, I get a couple dozen .357 Sig casings. I was shocked this time around I only got 1 single casing .357 Sig casing. FWIW.

itstime
08-12-2011, 07:01
I love the round but must admit I shoot mostly 9 and 40 for money purposes. It is definately my favorite round though.

skip a stone
08-12-2011, 14:21
I just did some brass scavenging at the range I work at. Usually when sifting for .40s, I get a couple dozen .357 Sig casings. I was shocked this time around I only got 1 single casing .357 Sig casing. FWIW.

There is a local range close to where I live and it has always been their policy to allow you to pick up your brass and take it back. So one day it's me and two other guys sharing a lane, and the owners wife puts me right next to these guys in the stall directly to my right. So as I am firing off round after round my brass is mixing with theirs. This range also provides brooms and dustpans as well as the 5 gallon bucket. So these guys are scooping up my brass and tossing it into the bucket. I wait until I'm clear and start to pick out my brass. The owners wife comes out and tells me that it's fine to pick up my own brass, but I'm not allowed to take away from the house buckets brass. After I finish filling my boxes up with the amount I shot I leave, but felt compelled to tell this woman off. Just from the tone in her voice it sounded to me (I hope I was wrong) like she was implying I was stealing the ranges brass. I asked her if it was okay to take back your brass after shooting yes or no. She said yes, but she watched me on camera go over and rifle (heh rifle) through the house bucket. I told her it was only because she set me so close that the other fellows shooting were tossing my brass away, and since I reload I was getting it back. She told me I was only allowed to pick up what was around my stall. I asked her if that were the case why did she put me so close to the only other two people in the entire range? She said "I like to keep my eyes on the shooters"...ahhh in case one of us decides to steal, right? That was the last time I shot there ever again.

BuckyP
08-12-2011, 20:20
There is a local range close to where I live and it has always been their policy to allow you to pick up your brass and take it back. So one day it's me and two other guys sharing a lane, and the owners wife puts me right next to these guys in the stall directly to my right. So as I am firing off round after round my brass is mixing with theirs. This range also provides brooms and dustpans as well as the 5 gallon bucket. So these guys are scooping up my brass and tossing it into the bucket. I wait until I'm clear and start to pick out my brass. The owners wife comes out and tells me that it's fine to pick up my own brass, but I'm not allowed to take away from the house buckets brass. After I finish filling my boxes up with the amount I shot I leave, but felt compelled to tell this woman off. Just from the tone in her voice it sounded to me (I hope I was wrong) like she was implying I was stealing the ranges brass. I asked her if it was okay to take back your brass after shooting yes or no. She said yes, but she watched me on camera go over and rifle (heh rifle) through the house bucket. I told her it was only because she set me so close that the other fellows shooting were tossing my brass away, and since I reload I was getting it back. She told me I was only allowed to pick up what was around my stall. I asked her if that were the case why did she put me so close to the only other two people in the entire range? She said "I like to keep my eyes on the shooters"...ahhh in case one of us decides to steal, right? That was the last time I shot there ever again.

Some time ago I was picking up my brass of the floor at a range and the range nazi ran out and said I was picking up the other guys brass. I opened my hand, showed him the brass and defied him to name another person that had shot in that range that was shooting that caliber. I was shooting 9x21 at the time.

jtull7
08-12-2011, 20:52
I love my two 357 Sigs. Glock and M&P. Wouldn't trade them for anything. Snappy round.

c5367
08-13-2011, 12:49
The G31 is next on my list.

That and a G17 barrel from Lone Wolf so I can shoot up all the hot 9mm+P
reloads that I've had for a few years, if I run out of money for .357 ammo.

Glock 17s and 31s fit me the best but are harder to conceal than my G33
as carried for backup to my 9mm CZs.

I look forward to saving for-or trading into a Glock 31 this fall.

With CZ quality and workmanship and the tough as nails/powerful Glocks.

It's a winning combination!

Take a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vXjbXd5SY0&feature=player_embedded

CZ Target Sport in 357 Sig. WANT SO BAD!

clarkstoncz
08-14-2011, 03:55
Hi guys.

CZ has played around with the 357 for years, but still has not offered us
any production guns, despite the abundance of S&B .357 SIG.

CZ CUSTOM in AZ, has the CZ P-06 .40 with custom .357 barrels
in either standard or ported.

They also have the mention Tactical Sports, and a hybrid gun called the SP-07 I believe.

A few CZheads have used the Bar-Sto and EFK barrels in .40 caliber
CZ75Bs, but those barrels have been discontinued.

I'm thinking of a 75 Compact .40 conversion but it would be costly for
me at this time, close to $750.

This would-set my saving for a new Gen3 Glock 31 back for a few months.

I really want them both.

A guy has to have goals in life, ya know!

bullgator
08-18-2011, 13:53
I have G32 OD Green with Talon grip tape, 40-9mm LW barrel, and Storm G23 ported barrel and G19 OD Green. This is one hot round and the speed intensifies the mortality consequences if you are hit. High mortality ratio. The round goes ballistic in the body. I hope it is here for a long time. :50cal:

clarkstoncz
08-23-2011, 13:41
Ammo is expensive in comparison to 9mm and some .40 but .45 ACP and 10mm
are spendy as well.

I'll probably be picking up a Gen 3 G31 in the next couple of weeks.

Like with DPX or TAC-XP, you pay for performance with the .357 SIG.

TWS G26
08-23-2011, 20:48
Well, I just did my part to keep it alive. Purchased a Glock 32 and will be giving it a video review within a few days. Ammo tests to follow.

I owned a G32 back around 2002-2003 (my early days on GT), but traded it for a G19. I'm looking forward to getting reaquainted with the .357 SIG.

dkf
08-24-2011, 14:02
Well, I just did my part to keep it alive. Purchased a Glock 32 and will be giving it a video review within a few days. Ammo tests to follow.

I owned a G32 back around 2002-2003 (my early days on GT), but traded it for a G19. I'm looking forward to getting reaquainted with the .357 SIG.

I sent you a message about the G32 on your YT page. I'm looking forward to your review and ammo tests. I have a G32 OD and a G33 OD and will be adding a G31 OD in the future. If you could get ahold of some HSTs and Remington GS Bonded in .357sig to test that would great. The HST is my primary carry round but is hard for a civilian to get ahold of.

clarkstoncz
08-24-2011, 14:43
Yes, I'd like to see how DPX does against the HST and other bonded bullets.