Legality of buying a firearm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Legality of buying a firearm

44terryberry
07-25-2011, 15:10
A friend of mine goes to public auctions that list guns for auction. When he buys one, they never do paperwork,no background checks-you hand them the money and they hand you the gun.Anyone can get a gun this way.Convicted felons,you name it,they can get a gun this way. My friend has about 100 unregistered guns he has bought this way. Can this be legal?

bob_fuller
07-25-2011, 15:19
depends how old the guns are.

Herb Twoleaf
07-25-2011, 15:21
A friend of mine goes to public auctions that list guns for auction. When he buys one, they never do paperwork,no background checks-you hand them the money and they hand you the gun.Anyone can get a gun this way.Convicted felons,you name it,they can get a gun this way. My friend has about 100 unregistered guns he has bought this way. Can this be legal?

AFAIK it depends on the state. In many states a face-to-face transaction, without background check, is perfectly legal as long as the seller has no reason to believe that the buyer is from out of state, a convicted criminal, etc.

Adjuster
07-25-2011, 15:22
It would be perfectly legal in Florida. No registration process and face to face cash deal is good to go.

srwm4
07-25-2011, 15:32
Why wouldn't that be legal?
Thankfully, most states have been smart enough to ignore the Brady Bunch's so-called "Gun Show Loophole" lies thus far.

44terryberry
07-25-2011, 15:44
Why wouldn't that be legal?
Thankfully, most states have been smart enough to ignore the Brady Bunch's so-called "Gun Show Loophole" lies thus far.
A convicted felon would have no trouble buying all the guns he could want.

srwm4
07-25-2011, 16:01

If it's that easy, then why are more than 98% of illegally-purchased firearms purchased in manners other than this?

If you want to show your support for the Brady Campaign, I'm sure there are plenty of places where you'll find more support for your political ideology than here on a firearms forum. The fact is, in the majority of states, there is no such thing as "registering" a firearm, and face-to-face transfers are perfectly legal. That's how things work in a free country.

EDIT: If you're uncomfortable knowing that free citizens can exercise Constitutionally-protected rights with minimal governmental interference, I'm sure California would be happy to have you.

jp3975
07-25-2011, 16:04
It perplexes me that you ask "Is it legal" and dont tell us the State theyre purchased in. For all we know you live in NYC.

44terryberry
07-25-2011, 16:11
If it's that easy, then why are more than 98% of illegally-purchased firearms purchased in manners other than this?

If you want to show your support for the Brady Campaign, I'm sure there are plenty of places where you'll find more support for your political ideology than here on a firearms forum. The fact is, in the majority of states, there is no such thing as "registering" a firearm, and face-to-face transfers are perfectly legal. That's how things work in a free country.

EDIT: If you're uncomfortable knowing that free citizens can exercise Constitutionally-protected rights with minimal governmental interference, I'm sure California would be happy to have you.
such a nice bunch of guys on glock talk

srwm4
07-25-2011, 16:12
It perplexes me that you ask "Is it legal" and dont tell us the State theyre purchased in. For all we know you live in NYC.

Assuming OP is both accurately relating the information, and is being truthful - then if they're doing any advertising at all for firearms, it'd be a safe bet that the ATF and/or State/Local police would have raided the events by now if he was in a state where any of this was illegal.

GenuineMP5
07-25-2011, 16:24
Anyone can get a gun this way.Convicted felons,you name it,they can get a gun this way. My friend has about 100 unregistered guns he has bought this way. Can this be legal?

Well the answer isn't to imply that there needs to be more government intervention. Yes, in several states this is a way of purchasing a firearm.

If you're that worried about what your friend has in his possession, get a new friend.

Donn57
07-25-2011, 17:08

Convicted felons can buy all the guns they want without this particular method which probably amounts to a minuscule number of guns sold overall and even a smaller number sold to those who shouldn't have guns.

However, if all this bothers you, please feel free to launch a campaign to close the "'insert method of firearm acquisition here'-loophole".

vafish
07-25-2011, 17:50
depends upon how the auction is run. The auction house might have to be licensed as a dealer if they are in the business of selling firearms.

american lockpicker
07-25-2011, 17:52

Or steal them, make them, buy one from a drug dealer, etc.

boozer
07-25-2011, 18:21

Drug addicts have no problem buying all the drugs they can afford, and they aren't sold at auctions.

It is against the law for felons to possess firearms, whatever hoops you make law abiding citizens jump through isn't going to make it more illegal.

JHorner_G17C
07-25-2011, 18:26
drug addicts have no problem buying all the drugs they can afford, and they aren't sold at auctions.

It is against the law for felons to possess firearms, whatever hoops you make law abiding citizens jump through isn't going to make it more illegal.

this!

fwm
07-25-2011, 18:46

Are you kidding or just trolling? I've been buying that way for 50 years. Can't even imagine a place where a gun has to be 'registered'. Ordered my first 22lr from a catalog. You must be from IL and your friend from MO.

Convicted felons that want a gun will always be able to get one because they ARE felons and pay no attention to laws, why make it harder for the common man than it is for a criminal?

Aahzz
07-25-2011, 18:47
Drug addicts have no problem buying all the drugs they can afford, and they aren't sold at auctions.

Exactly!!

Bruce M
07-25-2011, 18:49
Stolen guns I have encountered over the years seem to have come mostly from vehicle burglaries and some residential burglaries. Criminals I have been aware of over the years that had a gun regulalrly had a stolen gun.

dnuggett
07-25-2011, 18:50

We don't like hearing uninformed dribble.

bustedknee
07-25-2011, 21:09

A convicted felon will get them somehow.
Better he buy them than steal them from you or me.
We will need ours for shooting back.

Caver 60
07-25-2011, 22:36
IMO it should be illegal for a person convicted of a violent felony to possess a firearm. Tax cheats and non violent people like that should still be able to posses one. There's way too many things that are felonies these days.

But if Charlie Manson is paroled (or escapes) tomorrow, he should be able to walk into any firearms shop and buy a gun, no questions asked. When he is caught with it, then throw him under the jail and pave it over, including a mandatory death penalty if someone is killed.

Just my opinion.

CajunBass
07-26-2011, 02:05
Ain't freedom great?

american lockpicker
07-26-2011, 08:14
IMO it should be illegal for a person convicted of a violent felony to possess a firearm. Tax cheats and non violent people like that should still be able to posses one. There's way too many things that are felonies these days.

IDK if someone serves their time they should have all their rights restored when they get out.

Bren
07-26-2011, 09:19

Good job with the trolling, but your story is false and you have no such friend.

Also, for anyone who may seriously believe your BS, auctioneers DO have to have a federal dealer license and conduct background checks and do the paperwork, just like any gun dealer. Otherwise, ATF puts them in prison. Never having tried to buy a gun at auction and not really having the fictional "friend" who does, the OP doesn't know that.

Your first post here was an obvious lie. Why should anyone be nice to you?

Bren
07-26-2011, 09:20

Doesn't matter. It's illegal in all states, under federal law.

depends how old the guns are.

You are correct - my comments assume they are guns modern enough to be classified as "firearms" under federal law.

Cheytac
07-26-2011, 09:24

Your post provoked an interesting thought, "is it better that a felon be able to buy a gun this way, or would it be better for him not to be able to and then in turn steal one?"

I'll vote for him buying one. Laws don't prevent criminals from obtaining what they want. They prevent honest people from having certain items... :wavey:

Cheytac
07-26-2011, 09:30
Auctioneers DO have to have a federal dealer license and conduct background checks and do the paperwork, just like any gun dealer. Otherwise, ATF puts them in prison.

Curious question, how does this apply to the storage unit auctions that have guns in them? :wavey:

44terryberry
01-29-2012, 15:22
Troll this!

Misty02
01-29-2012, 15:38

Deleted - already covered by boozer. :)

boozer
01-29-2012, 15:58
Deleted - already covered by boozer. :)

Dang, this thread is so old I forgot I posted to it.

I see the OP revived it to give a witty retort. :upeyes:

Misty02
01-29-2012, 16:11
Dang, this thread is so old I forgot I posted to it.

I see the OP revived it to give a witty retort. :upeyes:

:rofl::rofl: And I fell for it by not noticing the dates…. serves me right for not reading the whole thing first!

8-Ball
01-29-2012, 16:59
Troll this!

Grow up.

8-Ball
01-29-2012, 17:05
Curious question, how does this apply to the storage unit auctions that have guns in them? :wavey:

The individual that owns the business (all of the storage units) is the owner of all property in the seized storage units. When the firearms are found in the unit, the business owner signs the firearms over to the highest bidder and new owner after running the serial number through the NCIS database and following all local and federal laws.

DoubleWide
01-29-2012, 20:04

Yep, legal.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Taphius
01-29-2012, 20:09

I didnt know criminals started to follow the law when you enacted more.

Bren
01-30-2012, 05:36
Yep, legal.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Legal to sell guns without paperwork, if you aren't doing it as a business. Advertised auctions are conducted by auction companies that do it as a business and they are required to have an FFL - much like a pawshop that sells a few guns along with lots of other stuff.

CajunBass
01-30-2012, 06:45
Deleted. Dang, I bit on it again....Duhhhh....

Where's that coffee?

carbuncle
01-30-2012, 07:56

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Troll-atsof-573277_520_464.jpg

rahrah12
01-30-2012, 08:01

Convicted fellons already can buy all of the guns they want...