Overtime payment? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Overtime payment?

ottomatic
07-25-2011, 17:51
A friend of mine just went to work for a guy in whose application there is a disclaimer that he does allow overtime but that he will not pay anything but the basic hourly rate (not time and a half).

Is this legal? This is in TN, if it makes any difference.

DaneA
08-07-2011, 15:23
A friend of mine just went to work for a guy in whose application there is a disclaimer that he does allow overtime but that he will not pay anything but the basic hourly rate (not time and a half).

Is this legal? This is in TN, if it makes any difference.

It depends on the gross volume of his business. Typically a business grossing less than 500k is exempt from many of the laws.

ottomatic
08-08-2011, 09:41
It is a small security company with about 30 employees.

jellis11
08-08-2011, 09:58
lol my FD used no only pay half-time for overtime... so a 24 hour shift youd make 75 bucks or so... lame.

be happy about straight time pay

sullyxlh
08-08-2011, 14:08
Work your eight and have him pay the next guy straight time

nothing like an employer pissin down your neck...

DaneA
08-08-2011, 20:13
Work your eight and have him pay the next guy straight time

nothing like an employer pissin down your neck...

He is obviously a small business. Maybe he just can't afford to have a herd of clock milkers. When I had my business I paid by the job, didn't care if it took you 4 hours or 14 hours.

nra-life-member
08-13-2011, 18:44
http://www.tn.gov/labor-wfd/faq_laws.html#employmentatwill

DaneA
08-13-2011, 21:17
http://www.tn.gov/labor-wfd/faq_laws.html#employmentatwill

How does this apply?

nra-life-member
08-14-2011, 11:40
How does this apply?

Page down to
Questions Concerning Overtime, Minimum Wage, or Salaried Employees

DaneA
08-19-2011, 16:58
Page down to
Questions Concerning Overtime, Minimum Wage, or Salaried Employees

To summarize for those not following the link. The state of TN doesn't not have any OT laws and reverts to the federal guidelines. To follow that, the fed guidelines state that an employer with a gross of less than 500k is exempt from minimum wage and OT. If I read everything correctly....

120mm
08-19-2011, 21:07
I once had a job that paid straight time as overtime.

I loved it. There was no incentive for my employer to restrict the hours I worked, and I made a fortune working overtime.

Time and a half for overtime is a stupid, communist idea. I can see no reason why hours 1-40 are worth one rate and hours 40 and over a guy works are somehow worth more.

For me, it was easier to work 60 hours at one place of work than getting a part time job somewhere else at a lower rate, to boot.