International Carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : International Carry

Fletcher D
07-25-2011, 23:50
Hi Mas...thanks for being available to us. Have been stalking the GATE for a while now and have found your advise extremely helpful.

In reading Gun Digest Book for Concealed Carry, I came across the section referencing belly bands and how they've concealed pistols well for you while carrying internationally.

Is this legal and what pointers can you offer for a CCW (Georgia) holder that's a private citizen? I ask because it's a big concern for me as I want to travel, but I also want to be able to defend myself EVERY where I go.

Thank you very much for your time,
Andy D

Mas Ayoob
07-26-2011, 01:04
If it wasn't legal, bro, I wouldn't have done it. :supergrin: Trouble is, there are some countries where you can't bring in a handgun at all, and many more where you flat can't carry concealed. Personally, I just don't go to those countries.

Contact the given country's embassy and request their import and carry laws. Get them in writing, hard copy, preferably letters on letterhead. Make multiple copies and always have at least one with you. Leave a set of those with a trusted friend in the US who will be available 24/7 if you need them faxed to a foreign police department or checkpoint in the wee hours many time zones away. Follow the rules scrupulously. There will be PITA paperwork in large volumes beforehand. You want to know the local gun/ammo/carry laws in absolute detail, and follow them to the letter.

When you leave here, be sure to declare your gun(s), etc. at US Customs. My personal experience has encompassed more hassles getting my own guns back into this country, than getting them into other ones.

I've enjoyed my trips to other countries and continents with guns, but I gotta tell ya, every one of those trips reminded me how glad I am to be an American, and how important it is to preserve our civil rights as gun owners here.

Best of luck in your travels,
Mas