Vacation in Colorado - CCW Advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vacation in Colorado - CCW Advice

BuckyP
07-26-2011, 07:03
The family is taking a trip to Colorado. My research shows that CO has reciprocity with PA. Can anyone give me the low down on the restricted places? I see no alcohol when carrying, which is fine, but what about a restaurant that serves alcohol (where I would not be drinking)? Also, what about hiking, parks, etc? Finally, any info on 4 legged concerns.

TIA. :wavey:

6StringGeek
07-26-2011, 07:28
This is what I read on a pamphlet the sheriff's office gave me...others can confirm or deny if there have been changes.

Can I carry in a bar or restaurant? YES, unless a sign is posted prohibiting you from carrying in a private business. Statute 18-12-214.

Can I carry in parks? City parks: Yes, with a permit. State parks: Yes in designated areas. National Parks: Yes. Must comply with State/Fed regs. National Forest: Yes. Must comply with State/Fed regs.

No in schools, public buildings with electronic screening.

WRT wild animals...you'll be lucky if you see any. Bear spray is good, but highly unlikely you'll need it.

NecoDude
07-26-2011, 10:47
Geek is pretty spot on... when in the Parks Federal Buildings are off limits. As far as critters... 50 yard separation is always a good idea... even the tame "looking" elk in Estes can put a beat down on you if in the mood.

Hope you and the fam have a great time here...

BuckyP
07-26-2011, 10:53
Thanks for the advice so far. The other consideration, for me, is my anti-gun step-mom is coming. Since we're on the same flight, I won't be able to hide the fact. Also, the place we're considering staying has a "no guns" policy which could be a problem. :sad:

From the comments, seems like there are few restrictions, so it might be worth it.

Hope you and the fam have a great time here...

Thanks, we can't wait to get away from the grind.

RMD
07-27-2011, 06:57
The family is taking a trip to Colorado. My research shows that CO has reciprocity with PA. Can anyone give me the low down on the restricted places? I see no alcohol when carrying, which is fine, but what about a restaurant that serves alcohol (where I would not be drinking)? Also, what about hiking, parks, etc? Finally, any info on 4 legged concerns.

TIA. :wavey:

We have good CC laws here.

Only places that CC is prohibited:

- where prohibited by federal law (military bases, insides federal buildings, etc.)

- inside a public K-12 school

- inside a public building that sends everyone through a metal detector & offers you a place to store your gun (ex: courthouses)

There is actually not a law against drinking while carrying, but there is a law against being "under the influence" while carrying. You don't sound like a person who wants to test the interpretation, so you're good there :)

According to handgunlaws.us (http://handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf), signs have legal force, but that law isn't in the carry section of state statues from what I can see. I'm not a lawyer and this is a hotly debated topic with no legal precedent that I know of. Remember, concealed means concealed, and you can be charged with trespassing if you don't leave private property when asked to do so.

What part(s) of the state are you going to visit?

BuckyP
07-27-2011, 08:54
We have good CC laws here.

Only places that CC is prohibited:

- where prohibited by federal law (military bases, insides federal buildings, etc.)

- inside a public K-12 school

- inside a public building that sends everyone through a metal detector & offers you a place to store your gun (ex: courthouses)

There is actually not a law against drinking while carrying, but there is a law against being "under the influence" while carrying. You don't sound like a person who wants to test the interpretation, so you're good there :)

According to handgunlaws.us (http://handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf), signs have legal force, but that law isn't in the carry section of state statues from what I can see. I'm not a lawyer and this is a hotly debated topic with no legal precedent that I know of. Remember, concealed means concealed, and you can be charged with trespassing if you don't leave private property when asked to do so.

What part(s) of the state are you going to visit?

We're staying in Estes Park. Wife and Step-mom are working on the itinerary now.

NecoDude
07-27-2011, 09:23
Sounds to me like the most dangerous part of your trip will be the wife and step-mom together? :)

I'm with RMD on the no guns signs, INAL but most of the data I've read on this is that those are more for OC but I could be way wrong. Without being to descriptive, where are you staying that has a no guns policy and furthermore, why would you stay at a place that limits your ability for self defense? Not flaming, just curious.

BuckyP
07-27-2011, 09:30
Sounds to me like the most dangerous part of your trip will be the wife and step-mom together? :)

:rofl::rofl:

You could be right about that!

I'm with RMD on the no guns signs, INAL but most of the data I've read on this is that those are more for OC but I could be way wrong. Without being to descriptive, where are you staying that has a no guns policy and furthermore, why would you stay at a place that limits your ability for self defense? Not flaming, just curious.

It's a rental home. My anti-gun step mom booked the place. Wouldn't be surprised if she saw that as a plus. (Aside from this one major sticking point, she's actually a great stepmother.) I wasn't aware of the policy until it was already booked.

RMD
07-27-2011, 11:32
We're staying in Estes Park. Wife and Step-mom are working on the itinerary now.

Excellent area! We go there 2-3 times per year, but usually avoid it during the summer with the tourists and all :)

Smokin' Dave's BBQ is good if you're into meat.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

tehan2
08-11-2011, 19:05
My wife and kids were at Estes yesterday. If you get a chance, take the ghost tour of the Stanley Hotel. My wife said it was a great tour

RMD
08-12-2011, 03:14
My wife and kids were at Estes yesterday. If you get a chance, take the ghost tour of the Stanley Hotel. My wife said it was a great tour

My kids LOVE the Stanley. It is a really neat tour.

BuckyP
08-12-2011, 06:06

My kids LOVE the Stanley. It is a really neat tour.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, that's on the top of our list of to do's.

Still undecided on the other issue. Still have a month to decide.

mnglocker
09-05-2011, 23:27
Here's a bump to the top, I'll be traveling though CO tomorrow, do I need to worry about OC'ing seeing as CO won't recognize my MN or non-res PA permit?

I'll be making a stop in Centennial Co, any places to avoid, is the town gun friendly?

BuckyP
09-06-2011, 05:30
We leave in less than 2 weeks. Good time for a bump. I'm going to address the issue with dad and his wife this weekend.

RMD
09-06-2011, 05:58
We leave in less than 2 weeks. Good time for a bump. I'm going to address the issue with dad and his wife this weekend.

You might get to see some nice golden aspens up high (Bear Lake) by then. Be safe and have fun!

BuckyP
09-06-2011, 06:20
You might get to see some nice golden aspens up high (Bear Lake) by then. Be safe and have fun!

I had to Google that. :embarassed: Looks beautiful in pictures. Bet it's breath taking in real life.

Thanks. :wavey:

RMD
09-06-2011, 08:04
I had to Google that. :embarassed: Looks beautiful in pictures. Bet it's breath taking in real life.

Thanks. :wavey:

You might see a sea of colors and you might see nothing. The colors are very fickle, but will start high and work their way down low. Bear Lake is a high (9,500 ft.) and easy trail (nice level loop around the lake).

Here's a pic I took on September 19th last year:

http://i51.tinypic.com/1zc0hoi.jpg

Everything below Bear Lake was just starting to turn, but this one colorful stand made it worth the drive.

NecoDude
09-09-2011, 11:32
Here's a bump to the top, I'll be traveling though CO tomorrow, do I need to worry about OC'ing seeing as CO won't recognize my MN or non-res PA permit?

I'll be making a stop in Centennial Co, any places to avoid, is the town gun friendly?

You won't find many OC friendly folks/places in or near Denver. Country folk are generally fine but Denver proper is pretty anti-gun.

NecoDude
10-17-2011, 12:16
So Bucky - how as the trip?

BuckyP
10-17-2011, 13:13
So Bucky - how as the trip?

Hey, thanks for asking. :wavey:

First off, I admit I bailed on taking any "hardware" with me. Between the step-mom's issues and traveling out of Newark, NJ, it just didn't seem worth it. I did pack a decent size Benchmade. :embarassed:

As for the trip, one of the best vacations we ever had. Weather was perfect. We had a great time. We hiked, went horseback riding, took the Stanley Hotel tour, and even spent a day in Boulder with my cousin (lives there, works at the University). Saw lots of Elk. It's amazing how used to people they are. We were standing 20 yards away and they could care less. We will certainly be going back.

This was the view from the back deck of our rental home:
http://www.pollardfamily.net/colorado/colorado4.jpg

We were a little early for the Golden Aspens.
http://www.pollardfamily.net/colorado/colorado1.jpg

http://www.pollardfamily.net/colorado/colorado2.jpg

These guys were everywhere:
http://www.pollardfamily.net/colorado/colorado3.jpg

RMD
10-18-2011, 05:53
Thanks for sharing the pics. It is awesome up there. The colors were very weird this year. Seemed to turn randomly, sometimes down low before higher elevations. They also seemed to turn a bit later.

Oh well, it's picturesque no matter what colors you see :)

Is that 2nd pic the alluvial fan? If so, how far did you climb up?

BuckyP
10-18-2011, 07:04
Is that 2nd pic the alluvial fan? If so, how far did you climb up?

I'm not sure, the second two pictures I think were taken in Rocky Mountain National park. We have over 600 pictures from the trip. The last pic was taken just before entering the main street of Estes.

RMD
10-18-2011, 08:40
I'm not sure, the second two pictures I think were taken in Rocky Mountain National park. We have over 600 pictures from the trip. The last pic was taken just before entering the main street of Estes.

The fan is neat. You can climb way up the rocks (where the damn broke in 1982 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_Lake_Dam)).

NecoDude
10-21-2011, 14:26
Glad you enjoyed our state Bucky.... nice pics... PM me if you ever come back and we'll see what kinda trouble we can get into :)