The GPS: A Fatally Misleading Travel Companion [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The GPS: A Fatally Misleading Travel Companion

Bushflyr
07-26-2011, 12:04
Don't throw away your paper maps and compass. :upeyes:

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/26/137646147/the-gps-a-fatally-misleading-travel-companion?sc=fb&cc=fp

Bolster
07-26-2011, 12:13
Ain't that the truth. My GPS generally gets a good cussing about 1 out of 4 trips. And that's in LA where there's always another route you can take. Death Valley? Fu-ged-a-bou-dit.

racerford
07-26-2011, 21:01
A GPS is not an end all be all. There are routing preferences.. Generally speaking they are not for off-roading. They are not topo maps. If these people had said do not use seasonal roads, or use main highways as much as possible, or, or. My TomTom has a lot of choices. Do you want to avoid dirt roads? Short Route? Quickest Route? Aoid tolls? Avoid Ferries. It will calculate alternate routes. I can mark a temporary road cahnge, i can upload corrections, such as a road does not exist. I can download other peole's corrections, such as this Death Valley road does not exist. My maps are updated quarterly. I watch the road and use common sense.

A map may not have helped them. They could be using outdated maps too. Lots of people get lost with maps.

The fault is not that of the GPS. It is an I.O. error. Idiot Operator. You have to be aware of your surrounding. If it does not seem like a good idea to go down that narrow rutted sand covered road, DON'T. No matter what the GPS or Map says. Oh and if you are going to wildeness areas, have survival gear, signaling equipment, fire starting gear, food and PLENTY of water, and fuel (and a siphon pump and container).

emt1581
07-26-2011, 21:46
I refuse to buy one. Aside from on our rigs within the township they have been a PITA for everyone I've ever ridden with to the point they shut them off.

-Emt1581

kirgi08
07-26-2011, 22:05
I've said this a million times,get a map/compass and learn how ta use them.'08.

TangoFoxtrot
07-27-2011, 02:35
Don't throw away your paper maps and compass. :upeyes:

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/26/137646147/the-gps-a-fatally-misleading-travel-companion?sc=fb&cc=fp

Your 110% correct! I noticed in my 22 years in the military that the younger soldiers were so dependent on GPS and fewer and fewer could navigate by topo map and compass. Don't misunderstand me I had to use a GPS as well but never trusted them. I always doulble checked myself with a map and compass when they were availible.

emt1581
07-27-2011, 04:29
Your 110% correct! I noticed in my 22 years in the military that the younger soldiers were so dependent on GPS and fewer and fewer could navigate by topo map and compass. Don't misunderstand me I had to use a GPS as well but never trusted them. I always doulble checked myself with a map and compass when they were availible.

This raises another concern I have for either the production or complication of a SHTF situation. TECHNOLOGY/Electronics. Today people of almost all walks of life and all vocations are so dependant on things that take batteries and or electricity that, should neither be available for some reason they will be screwed because of the skill that was lost due to technology making our lives "easier"(lazier). Just look at today's kids...some can't read a clock if it is not digital!!

-Emt1581

SFCSMITH(RET)
07-27-2011, 05:46
People have been going into the desert unprepared and dieing for a LONG time... blaming the GPS for a lack of common sense and planning is stupid.

We use them. But you have to have common sense.. If it says there is a road there, and it doesn't look like it, or it looks impassable, don't turn. Go back. Use your noggin.

My wife travels for work. She is in a different city 2-3 times a month. She has over the years had the GPS mislead her. She has not gotten lost in the wilderness yet. The biggest upside to a GPS is it's ability to have a street/topo map of the entire continent in the palm of your hand. Lots of people will scream about using a map and compass (many of them can't themselves) But having had to work with 1:50k maps of large areas, I can tell you it is difficult, and now that I would have to BUY them, expensive, to have usable topos of even some counties, let alone whole states or regions.

mes228
07-27-2011, 05:58
I have an early Etrex that I had used many times perfectly in the field.Then the most lost I've been was using the same GPS. I got entangled in a huge (like miles huge) Laurel thicket grouse hunting. Practically crawling, could see nothing, I was using the GPS like a compass. That was a BIG BIG mistake with the early ones. For the darn thing to "update" correctly you had to move out of the "circle of error". If I had moved a few hundred yards and then updated it would have worked correctly. I found this out after surviving and calling Etrex. New ones now can now be used like a compass ie continuously.

That being said. The one I use in my vehicle is priceless for strange cities and complex highway systems. Tells you upcoming turns, which lane to be in, etc. I travel to many cities a month and it makes things much easier. At times though, it will try to send you into an ares or direct you where you do not wish to go.

lawman800
07-27-2011, 13:04
My various gps devices have been pretty good except for the occasional glitch where it will make me go down a street just to tell me to make right then an u-turn when I could have just made a left turn.

mac66
07-27-2011, 13:20
Technology in the hands of retards is never a good idea.

cowboy1964
07-27-2011, 13:41
It's a piece of gear, people. No different from anything else. Idiots will be idiots, regardless.

I've been mislead by GPS info a few times. But how many times would I have gotten lost or taken longer to find places if I HADN'T had it? Countless.

TangoFoxtrot
07-29-2011, 02:01
Technology can be friend or foe. Either way don't completely trust it! Common sense has to kick in.

Raiden
07-29-2011, 15:57
Despite not being wild about their obtuse-feeling GUI and the paltry 48 favorites limit, TomTom brand GPSes have been the most accurate in my experience. After years of casual use, they haven't gotten me lost. However, I never go anywhere without some familiarization using some other map, and a healthy dose of common sense. I'm sure the latter is the most important - the component most folks seem to leave behind.

jdavionic
07-29-2011, 16:03
I've said this a million times,get a map/compass and learn how ta use them.'08.

I'm in my mid 40s and just got a GPS last Christmas. Until then, all my hunting and hiking navigation was done using a lensatic compass and maps. Even today, I still keep my compass and maps in my equipment.

kirgi08
07-29-2011, 22:56
Yep,no batts ta die or any number of things ta go bad with the unit.'08.