USPSA Single Stack [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : USPSA Single Stack

polizei1
07-26-2011, 13:36
Anyone else shoot USPSA SS? I just shot my first match on Sunday and omg I'm hooked. :rofl:

It was such a blast and I had a great time with my EMP. The best part is that I think (and many others that told me) I did really great, especially for my first time. Time to get some gear, but man do I want a 5" 1911 now. :tongueout: My overal score was 41.29%. I had one stage that I did terribly on and that really killed me. I shot the "unofficial" Times-Two classifier at 11.11sec, 31 points, 52.70%.

If anyone is thinking about trying it, go out and try a local match. Everyone at MRPC (Miami Rifle and Pistol Club) in Cincinnati, OH is exceptionally nice and welcoming.

bac1023
07-26-2011, 13:42
Very cool :cool:

I imagine the EMP was a challenge to shoot for that sort of thing.

polizei1
07-26-2011, 13:48
It wasn't so bad, but yes other people do have more of an advantage.

Either way it doesn't matter, I'm just out there to have fun!

bac1023
07-26-2011, 14:38
It wasn't so bad, but yes other people do have more of an advantage.

Either way it doesn't matter, I'm just out there to have fun!

Yeah, that's the best part of it. I imagine a full size will be even more so.

CMG
07-26-2011, 15:27
Try an IDPA match as well.

The stages are a wee bit more realistic with no gaming allowed, and you draw from concealment.

RH45
07-26-2011, 15:40
Even though I use a single stack, once in a while for USPSA, I prefer to use something with more capacity. With my bad shoulders, it hurts to reach waay back.
I'll use single stacks for IDPA, where you can't have more than two mags on your belt.

Quack
07-26-2011, 16:24
if you want an cheap single-stack, get a STI Spartan for a game gun.

polizei1
07-26-2011, 16:39
I can't afford another gun, but yea it would be a toss up between an STI or a SA RO. One thing I noticed real quick was that my ear plugs SUCK. I need to get some muffs if I plan on continuing...those open guns are loud, and my EMP is probably just as loud. I had quite a few people ask me what it was because it was so loud. :dunno:

Right now I'm using these: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Health/Safety/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LES9MG812H2_nid=Q1RMJFHP81beQQFFG1G8R7gl

Probably work great for their intended purpose, but shooting for sport, no thanks. I listened to 6 hours of guns and I had a terrible headache all day.

skdmrklcy
07-26-2011, 17:22
Try an IDPA match as well.

The stages are a wee bit more realistic with no gaming allowed, and you draw from concealment.

It is still a game :)

I like IDPA more than USPSA just due to the shorter coarse of fire...

I am in process of getting all setup and I hope to by next month. Maybe I will be able to go out next month if you are going to run again.

I am pretty sure I am going to pick up a new toy here soon. I keep going back and forth on a Trojan 9mm for a game gun... or one of Bacs High End Productions (Ithaca/Valor/TRP).

Like to see you run the EMP, I would think it would be loud... short barrel is about the same as porting on the open guns.

up1911fan
07-26-2011, 17:35
Check out the Howard Leight Impact electronic ear muffs, they work really well and you can usually find them for under $50 on amazon.

buyobuyo
07-26-2011, 18:05
I've been shooting Production division for about two or three years now. I picked up a 1911 earlier this year and will start shooting Single Stack as soon as I finish gearing up. I've got the holster. I still need to buy mag pouches, competition belt, and more mags.

What are you using for a holster, mag pouches and belt?

As far as hearing protection goes, the higher the NRR rating the better. The muffs that I use for pistol shooting are rated at 25db NRR, and I don't have problems with them. The plugs that I use for rifle shooting are rated at 32db NRR. The biggest problem I've seen with plugs is that people don't put them in properly, so they don't work like they should.

polizei1
07-26-2011, 18:45
I'm really leaning towards the MSA Sordin's but we'll see...

I still need a belt, mag holders, and a holster. Last time I used my Beltman belt, and the mag holder/holster that came with the EMP. You know, that cheap crap you get with the gun. Crappy, but it worked much better than sticking the mags in my pocket and trying to use my CBST! :rofl:

As far as belt/mag/holster, I have no idea what to get. I don't want anything super crazy, just a basic setup for now. The cheap stuff did fine, but I want something better.

Going off my average, if all the stages were classifiers I would be a C class, which I guess isn't bad for my first time. I completely blew a stage too. But, unfortunately it doesn't work like that. :rofl:

Good thing is, I believe my gun is completely legal, not that it really matters. I had a feeling it would bump me to limited or something because of the mods.

As far as IDPA, I would like to try it but I only know two places around here that hold matches, and I can't make one of them. The other is almost an hour away, so I really don't want to drive that.

skdmrklcy
07-26-2011, 18:50
Blade Tech and Comp-Tac are going to be your best bet for a comp setup. If they make it for the EMP... I guess I could have looked first.

midliferally
07-26-2011, 18:57
I just bought a (GASP) Glock G34 for competition. I would also look at Safariland Holsters. Saw quite a few at the match I went too. Easy. To draw from and IDPA legal I was told. Your right, it was fun! I definitely hooked too! Good luck!!!

knedrgr
07-26-2011, 20:47
I can't afford another gun, but yea it would be a toss up between an STI or a SA RO. One thing I noticed real quick was that my ear plugs SUCK. I need to get some muffs if I plan on continuing...those open guns are loud, and my EMP is probably just as loud. I had quite a few people ask me what it was because it was so loud. :dunno:

Right now I'm using these: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Health/Safety/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LES9MG812H2_nid=Q1RMJFHP81beQQFFG1G8R7gl

Probably work great for their intended purpose, but shooting for sport, no thanks. I listened to 6 hours of guns and I had a terrible headache all day.

Check out Surefire ear plugs. They're great at reducing loud noises, but will let you hear conversation.

http://www.surefire.com/EarProProducts

Search and you'll find good deals on them. Pretty cheap price too.

samuse
07-26-2011, 22:13
I use a Comp-Tac FBI cant paddle for my 5" steel 1911s.

A straight drop would be faster, but the FBI cant is more comfortable (it kinda balances better and is better when sitting) for carrying all day at a match or wherever you may open carry.

I'm not real competitive though. I have a 4-4 1/2lb trigger, no magwell and regularly use a VM-II IWB for the games.

I just like to run wut I brung!

BuckyP
07-27-2011, 06:07
Just a hint, if you do get a gun for USPSA single stack division, you might want to consider a 9mm. I have noticed that in many matches, the capacity advantage (2 extra rounds) is more advantageous than the major / minor advantage. This of course wouldn't be so if the match was designed to be a single stack match (like the single stack nationals). My buddy won Single Stack at the Area 8 last year. He was the only one shooting minor.

polizei1
07-27-2011, 14:45
Oh I'm just getting into it. I have no money to buy another 1911 for at least the next few years.

Gary1911A1
07-27-2011, 15:51
I shoot Single Stack at every match and try to go to the Single Stack Nationals when I cn afford it. It reminds me of the old days when real men shot real guns.

buyobuyo
07-27-2011, 17:55
I use a Comp-Tac belt holster for my Production setup and have another one for my 1911.

For a belt, I prefer the competition belt systems made my CR Speed and Double Alpha Academy. They consist on an inner and outer belt that attach to each other with velcro. You mount all your gear on the outer belt and don't have to mess with it again. They are similarly priced at ~$60.

For mag holsters, try contacting a member on this board that goes by Tactical Kydex. He does great work, and I haven't been able to find anything similar for a better price. Here's his thread in the old classifieds: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267097

polizei1
07-28-2011, 05:19
Thanks I'll check it out, I'm thinking Comp-Tac paddle holster or Blade-Tech DOH (have to check rules though), with DAA belt and mag holders. That way the mag holders are universal if I want to use single stack or shoot my XD (double stack) later in production. It's a little pricy, but if I can use them for both, that's great and probably cheaper than buying another complete rig. We'll see.

71Commander
07-28-2011, 06:04
Thanks I'll check it out, I'm thinking Comp-Tac paddle holster or Blade-Tech DOH (have to check rules though), with DAA belt and mag holders. That way the mag holders are universal if I want to use single stack or shoot my XD (double stack) later in production. It's a little pricy, but if I can use them for both, that's great and probably cheaper than buying another complete rig. We'll see.

DOH holsters are not allowed in SS. You may have a problem getting the mags and gun withing the minimum distance from your body with the DAA belt. I don't see any SS shooters using a two piece belt.

BuckyP
07-28-2011, 06:06

The DOH won't be legal in single stack or IDPA if you want to try that route. However, the newer DOH piece is removable, so you can convert it to a standard belt holster if you like. I own both Comp-Tac belt and Blade Tech Belt holsters.

I much prefer the Comp-Tac these days for the following reasons.

Typically in hand within a week, vs 4+ weeks for Blade-Tech
Rear part of the holster better fitted to the gun, Blade-Tech has extra material that I have to remove
Fitted to one size belt, vs. the adjustable stinger piece (note: older Blade-Tech stinger fitted for the belt was better than either option but is no longer offered AFAIK)
Retention to the gun is only as the bottom portion of the trigger guard, vs the entire trigger guard (quicker release)

That being said, the Blade-Tech is more versatile, as the attachment piece is bolted to the holster body, so you can go from belt to paddle to DOH, whereas the Comp-Tac is one piece so what you buy is what you get.

polizei1
07-28-2011, 15:09
I checked with one of the match RO's and he said DOH holsters are fine for level I local matches. They don't really care, but he said anything past that it's illegal. I'm just starting out and will just be shooting local matches, but I still would like to be 100% legal.

As for the belt, I haven't done much research but it seems like a LOT of people like DAA belts and mag holders. I believe I can have them as far as 2" off the body. What else are people using?

I have another match August 28th, so I would like to get a belt, holster, and mag pouches by then.

Quack
07-28-2011, 15:18
I have a CR Speed belt, pouches and holster for my STI Edge.
I also have a instructors belt, Blade-Tech DOH and mag pouches that i use for classes.

Hokie1911
07-28-2011, 15:28
Check out Surefire ear plugs. They're great at reducing loud noises, but will let you hear conversation.

http://www.surefire.com/EarProProducts

Search and you'll find good deals on them. Pretty cheap price too.

Big +1 here. Love my EarPros. I hate having cans on.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/269085_2265377436085_1298006842_2697855_4172714_n.jpg

71Commander
07-28-2011, 15:34
I checked with one of the match RO's and he said DOH holsters are fine for level I local matches. They don't really care, but he said anything past that it's illegal. I'm just starting out and will just be shooting local matches, but I still would like to be 100% legal.

As for the belt, I haven't done much research but it seems like a LOT of people like DAA belts and mag holders. I believe I can have them as far as 2" off the body. What else are people using?

I have another match August 28th, so I would like to get a belt, holster, and mag pouches by then.

I'm a CRO and they are not allowed. When shooting a classifier, it's an unfair advantage in the draw. The DOH will be faster.

Gary1911A1
07-28-2011, 15:44

I wouldn't say anything, but believe me there are people, let us call them range nazis, who would challenge your holster even at a local match.

polizei1
07-28-2011, 15:46
That's why I would rather stay 100% legal, with everything. I sent an email to DAA to see if the SS mags would be within 2" of the inner belt. My guess is it is or they wouldn't make them that thick?

I like the look of the DAA mag pouches and people seem to like them a lot. People also seem to like CR Speed pouches, and those are quite a bit cheaper because they come with adjusters to use SS mags, unlike the DAA ones ($8/ea extra!). Also, what about the belts they offer? Seems to be the same story. Any opinions?

Anyway, I'll take a look at the Surefire plugs but I'm not sure if they are any better than the Peltor I'm using. I used the yellow end last time, which I JUST found out are rated at 0 NRR. They are still supposed to cut down high level noises, and they do, just not well enough. The green end is rated for 22 NRR, so I'll try them next time.

I'm not sure if I would like wearing muffs, but I might bring some next match just to see if I like or dislike having muffs on. I really do want to protect my ears though! However, I don't want to spend nearly $300 unless I REALLY like them.

Veedubklown
07-28-2011, 15:50
Getting a longer slide/sight radius will definitely help things. I like my g26 for GSSF, but for IDPA, I'm looking at going something longer. STI Spartan 9mm is awfully sexy.

skdmrklcy
07-28-2011, 18:43
DOH is fine in USPSA... I thought... not in IDPA.

71Commander
07-28-2011, 19:10
DOH is fine in USPSA... I thought... not in IDPA.

Not single stack.

OK for production, limited, L10, Revo and open.

buyobuyo
07-28-2011, 19:10
From the USPSA Handbook, Appendix D5 - Single Stack Division

Rule 10: Max distance of handgun and mags/speed loaders from inner side of belt: 2"

Rule 12: Restrictions on Position of holster and other equipment: Foremost limit for gun, holster and all equipment behind hip bone.

Rule 20: Holster Restrictions:

Suitable for everyday use. "Race gun" type holster prohibited.
Must carry pistol so that the entire front strap (to the trigger guard) is at or above the top of the belt.
May not be manufactured or cut lower than, and must cover the slide up to , 1/2" below the ejection port (belt slide "Yaqui" type holster exempt).

As far as the two-piece belt goes, I don't see the two inch limitation being a problem with any holster that meets the requirements. On my Production setup, using a DAA belt and Comp-Tac belt holster, there is only 1" from the inside of the belt to the pistol. I haven't measured my Comp-Tac 1911 holster, but I don't see it being much more if any different.

I can't comment on the mag pouches that you are considering, but I believe they are adjustable, so they should be doable.

71Commander
07-28-2011, 19:12
I wouldn't say anything, but believe me there are people, let us call them range nazis, who would challenge your holster even at a local match.

What other rules do you decide that don't apply to you?

polizei1
07-28-2011, 19:26
Thanks for the info guys. I'll do some more research, but it seems like more people like CR Speed. Only thing I'm "concerned" about is aluminum vs. kydex on the mag holders. No idea if one is going to be better than another? :dunno:

71Commander
07-28-2011, 19:31
Thanks for the info guys. I'll do some more research, but it seems like more people like CR Speed. Only thing I'm "concerned" about is aluminum vs. kydex on the mag holders. No idea if one is going to be better than another? :dunno:

Kydex holds up just fine. Even the cheap uncle mike holder are ok.

Here's some insight to the 2 piece belt.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92558&st=0&p=1061452&hl=single%20stack%20belt&fromsearch=1&#entry1061452

Look around for all your needs.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Boxerglocker
07-28-2011, 22:08
Just a hint, if you do get a gun for USPSA single stack division, you might want to consider a 9mm. I have noticed that in many matches, the capacity advantage (2 extra rounds) is more advantageous than the major / minor advantage. This of course wouldn't be so if the match was designed to be a single stack match (like the single stack nationals). My buddy won Single Stack at the Area 8 last year. He was the only one shooting minor.

I shoot USPSA SS with my STI Spartan 9mm, same gun and gear set-up I use for IDPA ESP.

polizei1
07-29-2011, 05:24
Thanks for the help everyone.

I think I've made up my mind....

CR Speed belt
CR Speed mag holders
Blade-Tech SRB

Quack
07-29-2011, 05:48
Order the belt 1-2 sizes larger.

polizei1
07-29-2011, 14:13
Thanks will do.

When is that annual NE/SW meet-and-shoot going to happen anyway? Somewhere in the middle would be nice!

skdmrklcy
07-29-2011, 20:46
Ohio never seems big... until you drive across it!

I just ordered a cheap safariland 5188 to tide me over until I can order a full setup once I decide what I want to do. I have a M&P Pro I was going to use... but it may end up unused.

polizei1
07-30-2011, 07:07
I saw a lot of M&P's there last match. It seems like a lot of people really like them, I would like to shoot one to see what the hype is about.

The gear is expensive, but buy once cry once. I want to get it and start practicing with it over the winter so I can be hopefully better next season. I'm going to spend a lot of time making a lot of ammo too, lol.

71Commander
07-30-2011, 07:14
I saw a lot of M&P's there last match. It seems like a lot of people really like them, I would like to shoot one to see what the hype is about.

The gear is expensive, but buy once cry once. I want to get it and start practicing with it over the winter so I can be hopefully better next season. I'm going to spend a lot of time making a lot of ammo too, lol.

I have the M&PL.

Keep and eye on Enos forum for gear. People are always upgrading.

rsxr22
07-30-2011, 07:39
I honestly would recommend going with a belt from Ares(ranger), wilderness, 5.11 operator, blackhawk... No reason to get something you cant wear all the time!! I wear my ares belt everyday and use it for IDPA and USPSA. I am an A class shooter and having a CR setup would not put me into Master!! As far as holsters go, I always used Comp-tac, but recently Garrett Industries sponsored me and their silent thunder's are really the jam!! Their faster imo because of the leather lined kydex and much more streamlined then the others.

skdmrklcy
07-30-2011, 08:12
A CR belt would be hanndy to keep your stuff on if you have a dedicated comp setup. Not legal in IDPA so out for me. I am going to try a wilderness belt out and see how it goes.

I really like the Safariland Paddles actually for the price. I just need to find some good Mag Pouches.

M&Ps seem to be gaining popularity in the sport and Apex makes some great upgrades to the trigger. I am actually on my 2nd one... we shall see!

rsxr22
07-30-2011, 08:25
A CR belt would be hanndy to keep your stuff on if you have a dedicated comp setup. Not legal in IDPA so out for me. I am going to try a wilderness belt out and see how it goes.

I really like the Safariland Paddles actually for the price. I just need to find some good Mag Pouches.

M&Ps seem to be gaining popularity in the sport and Apex makes some great upgrades to the trigger. I am actually on my 2nd one... we shall see!
Wilderness is definitely the 2nd best thing going to Ares! I used one for about 2 yrs in IDPA and USPSA before I switched. They will win out for most though because of price.

blownhemi
07-30-2011, 08:27
It's interesting to note that the popularity of Single Stack hasn't gone un-noticed on an international level. It looks like IPSC is going to add a Single Stack division to the line up next year under the name "Classic Division".

It'll have minor/major scoring with capacity limits of 10/8 respectively. Should be interesting to see how it goes.

rsxr22
07-30-2011, 08:43
Big +1 here. Love my EarPros. I hate having cans on.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/269085_2265377436085_1298006842_2697855_4172714_n.jpg
are we really taking action shots of our SF Ear Pro now?

rsxr22
07-30-2011, 08:44
It's interesting to note that the popularity of Single Stack hasn't gone un-noticed on an international level. It looks like IPSC is going to add a Single Stack division to the line up next year under the name "Classic Division".

It'll have minor/major scoring with capacity limits of 10/8 respectively. Should be interesting to see how it goes.
Thats awesome! i love shooting single stack! Its fun doing all the weapons manipulation and you really need to think a lot more so you dont hit slide lock and put yourself at a disadvantage

Gary1911A1
07-30-2011, 08:53
Thats awesome! i love shooting single stack! Its fun doing all the weapons manipulation and you really need to think a lot more so you dont hit slide lock and put yourself at a disadvantage

Me too.:wavey: You have to plan your reloads and sometimes there's a better way to shoot the stage than someone shooting Limited.

Quack
07-30-2011, 08:54
the instructor belts are really nice. i use it as my daily belt as well as using if for classes.

polizei1
07-30-2011, 14:21
I'm going to have a dedicated setup because I already have my carry rig setup. This gear will only be used for USPSA, for now anyway. I don't have any plans to "branch out" but we'll see.

The EMP is a challenge for sure, my magwell is already fairly beat up because I don't have a extended one. Makes things a bit harder, and also it's obviously only 3" too so it's challenging, but fun. I shoot what I carry, and I won't be able to afford another 1911 for a long time, so it's this or nothing!

I'm trying to convince my dad to sell his XD and buy an STI 9mm so I can use that. :rofl: