Chambered round fmj [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chambered round fmj

glock_ME
07-26-2011, 15:45
Mas -

For the last year I have been carrying my G27 with a full mag of gold dots but a fmj round in the chamber.

The main reason for this is because I dry fire a lot and therefore I'm constantly unloading/reloading a round before/after practicing. At first I used this as an opportunity to rotate the rounds in my primary mag (previously chambered round back to the bottom every time) but then it was brought to my attention that chambering a round several times causes the bullet to recede into the case.

Sure enough, after several chamberings I noticed a slight overall height difference between a "new" round and a several-times-chambered round. At about $1 apiece I can't justify ruining a bunch of rounds over time. As a side note I have fired many mags with this configuration and I have never had an issue with it.

My questions are -

Am I an idiot?

Does this potentially look bad in court? Is it a reliability issue?

Am I over thinking this?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Mas Ayoob
07-27-2011, 23:20
You're not an idiot, because you've articulated a logical reason for doing what you're doing.

Having your chamber loaded with a round that may have been shortened by repeated chamberings -- leading to potentially serious over-pressure problems -- is a very real concern, and you're obviously on top of that. The round that has been chewed up by repeated cyclings -- and perhaps got caught in the mechanism once when being ejected, and got literally bent out of shape -- does indeed present a potential reliability problem.

Glock_ME, what I'd suggest is a careful re-assessment of your priorities. Professionals who had a choice in the matter got away from FMJ ball because of its long history as a poor-to-mediocre "man-stopper," caliber for caliber. You carry the gun in case you need it to save your life or the lives of your loved ones, and you don't need me to tell you that this can happen in a time frame so short that your first shot may be the shot that decides the outcome. Those loved ones may also be standing behind the man you have to shoot with that one shot, and hardball is all but guaranteed to go through a facing human with enough power to kill anyone behind him. Modern high-tech hollow point ammo is designed to give you a high likelihood of the bullet staying inside the offender, and his body is, after all, the only backstop you're guaranteed to have.

You've already learned to gauge your cartridges' overall length, and separate them out when they become visibly shorter. At a buck a cartridge, that's a small price over a month, when you consider how much you're saving doing dry-fire practice instead of live-fire.

The first round in the chamber is the single one most likely to save your life, and the lives of the people you have that gun to protect. It's the last place you want to be scrimping on to save what will amount to pennies per day on your "life insurance policy."

Thanks for asking,
Mas