Search function on Windows7 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Search function on Windows7

RWBlue
07-26-2011, 17:03
I remember doing detailed searches in XP.
I know it is an excel document, should have state or move in the title, should have a column "state".

I need to do the same thing to find a missing document. How do you do it in Windows7?

Thanks, I know this should be simple, but this document is MIA.

gemeinschaft
07-26-2011, 17:07
I would do a search ".xls" o ".xlsx" and then put the results in a detailed list.

Then, if you know about when you last modified the document, sort the results by Date modified.

I hope that works for you.

RWBlue
07-26-2011, 17:21
I would do a search ".xls" o ".xlsx" and then put the results in a detailed list.

Then, if you know about when you last modified the document, sort the results by Date modified.

I hope that works for you.

The problem is this hard drive has many many .xls files.

I was hoping for a nice advanced search function.

Or even a nice shareware product with advanced search function.

Very frustrated at the moment. It is here, but I can not find it.

gemeinschaft
07-26-2011, 17:30
The problem is this hard drive has many many .xls files.

I was hoping for a nice advanced search function.

Or even a nice shareware product with advanced search function.

Very frustrated at the moment. It is here, but I can not find it.

Check this out, maybe this will help you refine your query to your needs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/technicalresources/advquery.mspx

gTWO
07-26-2011, 18:36
W7 search is broken. Thank god I could go back to XP on my work machine. There's lots of docs on teh web detailing ways to *help* W7 search better, but it's still broken.

RWBlue
07-26-2011, 18:52
Found my document

Searched for a word in the document.
Then eliminated all but the .xls files.
The spend time looking and looking and looking and looking.

Pierre!
07-26-2011, 21:11
Windows 7 search is certainly broken...

Based on what we USED to know...

ClientName<space>xlsx

Returned only the client names that were excel files...

Actually, Windows 7 search is faster and waaaay more efficient than what we have ever worked with before in Windows.

We simply haven't learned to use the new search funtion(s) very well... :wow:

So - In the future, put your terms in the search box, but separate the terms with a space - Part of the file name <space> file extension really worked VERY fast and accurately.

New ways to work, and way better... Loving it!

HTH

Patrick

Lotiki
07-26-2011, 21:28
Glad you solved your problem.

For future reference, the program "Agent Ransack" (google it and don't trust posted links in a damn forum people) does a great job of searching one or multiple hard drives and even includes network drives. Its like the XP search program +100, and it's free.

Although it is technically just a "demo" of a larger pay for program, it is unlimited and a great tool to have for 7 users.

Pierre!
07-26-2011, 21:52
Glad you solved your problem.

For future reference, the program "Agent Ransack" (google it and don't trust posted links in a damn forum people) does a great job of searching one or multiple hard drives and even includes network drives. Its like the XP search program +100, and it's free.

Although it is technically just a "demo" of a larger pay for program, it is unlimited and a great tool to have for 7 users.

So it's actually faster on Local and Network drives?

I'll have to check that out if it's true...

kc8ykd
07-26-2011, 22:29
careful, don't click this link (http://www.mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?type=agentransack&page=home). it might take you to the manufacturer's page for that product. but on the other hand, don't trust it since i posted it in a forum.