any reliable/affordable semi-auto belt fed rifles? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : any reliable/affordable semi-auto belt fed rifles?

Ridgeway
07-26-2011, 19:44
I was considering getting a RPD, but their reliability is hit or miss @ best (seemingly more often a miss).
For $2,100 I'd hate to have to gamble on such a rifle. It is a great looking rifle and looks like a lot of fun. But the reliability worries me.

Is there anything in a similar vein that is reliable & in a similar price range? I can't think of anything.
(& no crew served type weapons)

No real purpose for it other than a niche gun for fun plinking @ range.

I've seen a few on gunbroker, that the sellers say are reliable. However, I always wonder why they are being sold, perhaps just to fund a new purchase or perhaps b/c it stops working after the first belt...

ronin.45
07-26-2011, 21:43
Most semi-auto belt feds are spotty for reliability. They have been converted to fire in a different manner than they were designed. They are also expensive. If you want a semi get a magazine fed rifle. It will be cheaper, easier to use, and more reliable.

Cole125
07-26-2011, 21:57
Most semi-auto belt feds are spotty for reliability. They have been converted to fire in a different manner than they were designed. They are also expensive. If you want a semi get a magazine fed rifle. It will be cheaper, easier to use, and more reliable.

I agree. Have you looked into a belt feed conversion for AR15s?

That or a 100 round AR drum mag should be enough for some fun plinking/zombies. :supergrin:

PlasticGuy
07-26-2011, 23:03
I have a TNW built Browning 1919 that has extremely reliable. In a 1919a2 configuration it could fit your criteria of being a one man gun (though a heavy one). It would be worth checking out. It is one of the most durable and reliable guns ever made, and the semi-auto versions built by TNW are just as good. Watch out for other builders though. Some are decent, but many are not. TNW doesn't make a bad gun though.

Reb 56
07-27-2011, 00:38
A belt fed semi-auto just doesn't seem right. Belt fed is for F/A.

docwade
02-04-2012, 19:22
I have two rpd's, one in 20.5" and one 16", one m53 in 8mm, and one sg43. Non-vector rpd's are very reliable, striker fired systems. Not as fundamentally reliable as the original open bolt, slam fired design. Not as cool as f/a, but still mechanically awesome.