Are you thinking of bugging out when shtf [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are you thinking of bugging out when shtf

bdcochran
07-27-2011, 20:02
The share of people in rural areas over the past decade fell to 16 percent, passing the previous low of 20 percent in 2000. The rural share is expected to drop further as the U.S. population balloons from 309 million to 400 million by mid-century, leading people to crowd cities and suburbs and fill in the open spaces around them.

In 1910, the population share of rural America was 72 percent. Such areas remained home to a majority of Americans until 1950, amid post-World War II economic expansion and the baby boom.

"Rural" is generally defined as nonmetro areas with fewer than 50,000 people.

When I was born, the population of the US was 141 million.

Ok, so you have skills and insist that you will live off the land and hunt deer. So how many deer are there in the US? Recent estimates put the deer population in the United States at around 30 million.

Ok, so 1 in 10 people will receive 1 deer to live off for a whole year (disregarding that we now have killed all of them off and there won't be any next year).

When you think that you will bug out and live off the country or even farm after shtf in a long term survival mode, think again. This includes the people who wish that they will make it in the northern woods. If a desperate person has a tank of gasoline and an ATV, motorcycle, 4 wheel drive vehicle or snow mobile, those isolates will have the same problems.

cowboy1964
07-27-2011, 20:31
So abandon all hope, ye are doomed!

bdcochran
07-27-2011, 20:37
NOt doom. Just reality. It means think and come up with alternative plans.

ChuteTheMall
07-27-2011, 20:37
I'm bugging in, this is a target-rich environment.

Happy Hunting
07-27-2011, 20:43
I'm of the school of though that roads will be blocked with abandoned cars that most rural areas will become all but inaccessible with common transportation. Moral of the story for me is to bug out before SHTF... that's the tricky part.

kirgi08
07-27-2011, 21:34
tagged.

Bilbo Bagins
07-27-2011, 21:49
I'm pretty sure that where the road hits the rubber the majority of survivalist who plan to bug out and live off the land will fail miserably.

I keep on stressing it to other preppers, once you bug out, or are officially a Homeless, a refugee, a displaced person. If things are so bad, that you choose to leave your home to live outside, there is a strong possibility that if you return, your house may not be habitable, it may be completely gone, and whatever you have stored there could be gone. So this I bug out for 3 days, live in the woods, and come home and everything will be fine, is a pipedream and pure crap.

So assuming you will need carry everything on your back to be self substaining. Guns, a Shelter system, a knife, fire starting, water purification and a water carry system, food prep/cooking and food carry system. Either the survivalist will go very heavy on guns, and very light on everything else and fail either to face death or become looters. Our they will try to go primitiveand ultralight, again death or looter. Another option is carrying everything you need on your back, but the harsh reality of carrying over 60lb of gear will set in, and you still have to deal with how do you get food after all the food you carried in runs out. If you are extremely good and lucky you may be able to hunt and forage enough to eat every day, but you will never be able to keep up the calorie and nuturional intake to keep you healthy long term.

Bolster
07-27-2011, 22:23
I'm not bugging out. I live in a corner of L.A. where we are told, "If a disaster occurs, you will be the last people to leave Los Angeles." On a normal day it takes me 1/2 hour to get to the nearest freeway...which is amazingly remote for Los Angeles. Everyone here will be on the freeway in front of me and there will be no escape for days.

So my plan is to stay here and tough it out in virtually every scenario. I am expecting coalitions of neighbors to form rather quickly and I plan to be an influential voice in mine.

If it's a large nuclear attack and the wind happens to be blowing the reverse of normal, well...let's just say I won't be posting here any more. You take certain risks in life. You guys are welcome to come get my generator, stored water, food, gas, cars, solar still, solar panels, tools, and survival gear once the radiation levels fall.

cowboy1964
07-27-2011, 23:06
There are very few scenarios where one couldn't bug out to complete safety (example, the SHTF is local and going a few hundred miles everything returns to normal).

If it's a national/global SHTF then it probably doesn't matter where you go, unless the immediate vicinity is a hazard itself (nuclear fallout, etc).

I'm being overly general and simplistic but so was the original post. Best that can be done without getting into specific scenarios.

Bushflyr
07-27-2011, 23:58
There is nowhere that I can go. Straight buggin' in.

smokeross
07-28-2011, 00:01
In my mind, I'm already gone. Been bugging out for years. My neighbors and I have a plan to merge our compounds into one, and stack the bodies of the Zombies up to build a protective wall. Should serve as a warning to the next wave.

donovan655
07-28-2011, 05:08
Bug in.

RatDrall
07-28-2011, 05:42
I would imagine that many in the country would see some dude, wearing a tactical vest covered in Molle gear and magazine carriers with a pair of black rifles slung over his shoulder, hanging out on their land, as a threat and take care of him before he knew they were watching. I'll stay home, or move quickly to a friends house as "grayman" as possible.

bpe5008
07-28-2011, 06:13
It depends on how fast the shtf happens. If it is quickly and everyone panics and runs, then there will be plenty of food left to scavenge no matter where you live. The truly frightening situation is a countrywide famine that lasts months and leaves with you no supplies, and neighbors who become your enemies to protect their own families.

Dexters
07-28-2011, 11:51
This could become a very contentious thread. It sound very similar to one I started awhile ago.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1166268

There was a post I remember (I'm not going to look for it) where a poster said they would hunt like their father or grandfather did during the depression to survive. None of today's information - more people, easier access to rural areas (roads), less rural areas (expansion of cities/suburbia, population) made a difference to the poster. Several people said that hunting was too difficult for the city folk.

I think it would be very dangerous in the woods trying to hunt or just camp during a SHTF scenario. There would be too many people shooting at anything that moves.

But I'd really hate to get a case of Lyme Disease during SHTF. I doubt if it would get diagnosed or if treatment would be available.

http://www.aldf.com/usmap.shtml

For my Ga friends
http://www.georgialymedisease.org/

Dexters
07-28-2011, 12:02
http://animalrights.about.com/od/wildlife/f/HuntingAccident.htm
1,000 shot/100 hunters killed per year

bdcochran
07-28-2011, 13:52
"There was a post I remember (I'm not going to look for it) where a poster said they would hunt like their father or grandfather did during the depression to survive."

Yes that is correct.

I went deer hunting in high school. So, when was the last time I went deer hunting? About 1980. I had a license and went up to the Sierras. There was no snow pack that year.

Now, the location of Mamoth Lakes is remote. The radio news said that there were 80,000 hunters in the area on opening day. Every place we turned out on the dirt road to attempt to camp or prepare to shoot there were already a lot of people. We drove the backbone of the Sierras in a regular passenger car.

After that experience, I stopped hunting. So, I qualify as an oldtimer with hunting skills. If someone wants to think that I am going to go to that remote area in 2011 and survive, that is ok with me.

If you personally want to believe that you are ok, then that is fine with me. I won't attempt to change your mind.

The family has property that is planted in trees and backs onto a State Preserve. 5,000 people live in the nearest town that is 3 miles away. The highway runs within a couple hundred yards of the property. If you got in the car in the nearest city and drove down the highway, I am 45 minutes away. Some people think that because the family owns the land and it backs up on a protected game reserve that there will be a lot of wild game. If they want to believe that the people in the nearest town won't be on the property at sunup on the first day after shtf hunting, that's fine with me.

I am an old guy. I raised chickens and a garden when I was a kid. I have an ownership in a farm. If a person wants to believe that it is easy to be a farmer, that is ok with me. A lot of people are buying up farmland. The reality is a lot different. Ask a real farmer, not some one who just read a book on farming. Now try being a farmer 24/7 carrying a handgun after shtf.

Most of the shtf incidents are transitory like a car accident, a home fire, a nearby derailment, a tornado or a hurricane. If minor, it can be the power off for a few days. Focus on those situations and leave bugging out to the movie makers.

jdavionic
07-28-2011, 16:04
To me, bugging out is an option of last resort. There is a lot of risk with traveling. You cannot carry as much as you store at home, although you can stock your BOL...assuming your stuff is there when you get to the BOL. These are major risk items. So the risk of staying has to outweigh the risks in leaving for me to bugout.

In the OP, I think you're really talking about a TEOTWAWKI scenario. In that case, I'd expect the population will endure a sharp decline for a variety of reasons. Relying on deer meat would likely result in starvation. I think having an ample stockpile will help get you through dry periods of no outside food sources. However even that will dry up. Having your own means for growing and raising your own food would be the best answer. Not many here (myself included) are doing this today.

quake
07-28-2011, 18:15
...When you think that you will bug out and live off the country or even farm after shtf in a long term survival mode, think again...

There are very few scenarios where one couldn't bug out to complete safety...

Those point out two important distinctions to make. Some mean "bug out to live in the woods"; some mean "bug out to uncle Henry's farm 40 miles away"; and those are VERY different things. The 'live in the woods, wandering hobo of the apocalypse, follower of gunkid' style bugouters are facing a deck hugely stacked against them. The 'get out of dodge to a pre-arranged retreat a reasonable distance away' bugouters still face huge dangers, but do have a better chance long-term imo.

Any way found to avoid bugging out, also avoids the dangers of bugging out. Not always possible (chemical spill, impending tsunami, whatever), but when possible, bugging-in is the more controlled, and so the less chaotic, option.

FryCook
07-28-2011, 19:07
I cant think of a worse Hell than bugging out with 3 technology addicted kids and a wife who hates spiders. Of course they would want to bring the cats and dogs along.
I would bring the Chihuahua, Shes good in a fight.

callihan_44
07-28-2011, 19:11
I already live out in the sticks with a small lake and river within walking distance and lots of hardwoods with plenty of wildlife....the only way I would bugout would be my chances of survival was better somewhere else

SilverCity
07-28-2011, 19:20
Buggin' in.

Counting on ourselves and neighbors, three dogs, and a new 6ft chain link fence around our yard (to slow bayonet charges).

We live in a small mining town in the mountains (game country). Deer stroll though our yard on a daily basis, along with an occasional javelina pack, fat jack rabbits and squirrels. Neighbor across the street has a well, her daddy owns a working ranch down the road.

We are on the verge of retirement. We will die here. We have no intention on being refugees...

SC

wrenrj1
07-28-2011, 19:24
Read "One Second After."

Happy Hunting
07-28-2011, 19:40
I already live out in the sticks with a small lake and river within walking distance and lots of hardwoods with plenty of wildlife....the only way I would bugout would be my chances of survival was better somewhere else

How would you keep poachers (or outsiders if it isn't yours) off of this property? Keep in mind there will be sob stories "my kids are starving!" from anyone you confront fishing your pond or hunting.

Also keep in mind that if there is food to eat there then everyone nearby will come to hunt it and the once bountiful game will be depleted in short order. Do you have an agreement with the neighbors that you will pool your time and resources ensuring that the environment is sustainable for you and yours?

bdcochran
07-28-2011, 19:48
'In the OP, I think you're really talking about a TEOTWAWKI scenario.'

My zip code - 13,000 to the square mile.
Estimated food contained in fast food places plus grocery stores - less than 3 days.
Water supply - absolutely no wells in the area. All water comes in aquaducts.

TEOTWAWKI is 3 days with the water cut off and the highways clogged with cars.

Dexters
07-28-2011, 21:12
'In the OP, I think you're really talking about a TEOTWAWKI scenario.'

My zip code - 13,000 to the square mile.
Estimated food contained in fast food places plus grocery stores - less than 3 days.
Water supply - absolutely no wells in the area. All water comes in aquaducts.

TEOTWAWKI is 3 days with the water cut off and the highways clogged with cars.

I think if you draw a 400 mi radius from major cities most people are in the same boat.

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/mapGallery/2kpopden.html

I think the hardest thing to do if you are prepped is to stay home and do nothing.

G29Reload
07-28-2011, 22:56
I think if you draw a 400 mi radius from major cities most people are in the same boat.

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/mapGallery/2kpopden.html

I think the hardest thing to do if you are prepped is to stay home and do nothing.

400 miles is pushing it.

I'm 60 miles from DC in the countryside.

Stay home and do nothing is the easiest thing. Well, be observant anyway. Stay tuned to to news.

TangoFoxtrot
07-29-2011, 01:40
For me, I'll Bug In. I live in the burbs, I'm well supplied and armed. I tell no one especially my neighbors what I have or my plans. If it got that bad I could retreat to the mountains, as a "last" resort.

Dexters
07-29-2011, 05:49
400 miles is pushing it.

I'm 60 miles from DC in the countryside.

Stay home and do nothing is the easiest thing. Well, be observant anyway. Stay tuned to to news.

I used 400mi as about how far you can get on a tank of gas.

quake
07-29-2011, 06:39
...My zip code - 13,000 to the square mile...

Oy.:faint: Don't know about our specific zip code, but the population for our county is less than 48 per square mile. (You might have a need of substantially more ammo than me...)

callihan_44
07-29-2011, 06:59
How would you keep poachers (or outsiders if it isn't yours) off of this property? Keep in mind there will be sob stories "my kids are starving!" from anyone you confront fishing your pond or hunting.

Also keep in mind that if there is food to eat there then everyone nearby will come to hunt it and the once bountiful game will be depleted in short order. Do you have an agreement with the neighbors that you will pool your time and resources ensuring that the environment is sustainable for you and yours?

the area I live in is not heavily populated and there are 2-3 good size rivers within a 20 mile radius around me, I am also surrounded by farms. The people that live around me are also the type that would bend over backwards to help you out so I figure my chances are greater here than probably anywhere else. Though I am also prepared to shag out if needed..

mac66
07-29-2011, 07:16
I cant think of a worse Hell than bugging out with 3 technology addicted kids and a wife who hates spiders. Of course they would want to bring the cats and dogs along.
I would bring the Chihuahua, Shes good in a STEW .

There, I fixed it for you.

Will-21
07-29-2011, 16:01
Going nowhere! Too much to carry, too much to leave behind! Already disabled!

wrenrj1
07-29-2011, 18:38
I'll plan to bug in as well. People say they'll head for the hills. Most don't know how to survive in the hills, much less they'll be in competition for everyone else that heads for the hills.

Unless my home is uninhabitable, I'll stay here, coordinate with the neighbors (yes, even the idiots) and make for a secure situation. Having a lot of stuff is nice, but eventually others will find out you have a lot of stuff and come for it if it gets that bad. Good to coordinate a team effort up front, but don't lay out all of your cards...

LongGun1
07-29-2011, 22:08
I'm pretty sure that where the road hits the rubber the majority of survivalist who plan to bug out and live off the land will fail miserably.

I keep on stressing it to other preppers, once you bug out, or are officially a Homeless, a refugee, a displaced person. If things are so bad, that you choose to leave your home to live outside, there is a strong possibility that if you return, your house may not be habitable, it may be completely gone, and whatever you have stored there could be gone. So this I bug out for 3 days, live in the woods, and come home and everything will be fine, is a pipedream and pure crap.

So assuming you will need carry everything on your back to be self substaining. Guns, a Shelter system, a knife, fire starting, water purification and a water carry system, food prep/cooking and food carry system. Either the survivalist will go very heavy on guns, and very light on everything else and fail either to face death or become looters. Our they will try to go primitiveand ultralight, again death or looter. Another option is carrying everything you need on your back, but the harsh reality of carrying over 60lb of gear will set in, and you still have to deal with how do you get food after all the food you carried in runs out. If you are extremely good and lucky you may be able to hunt and forage enough to eat every day, but you will never be able to keep up the calorie and nuturional intake to keep you healthy long term.

+1 :thumbsup:

Best if you plan to "Bug Out" ...

..to have a stocked BOL set-up in advance!

G29Reload
07-29-2011, 22:11
I used 400mi as about how far you can get on a tank of gas.

Cut that in half. On a GOOD day.

-Most folks don't stay topped off.
-Full range is possible late at night, no one on the roads, smooth sailing.

Sitting still in a traffic jam going no where, not so efficient.

G29Reload
07-29-2011, 22:13
+1 :thumbsup:

Best if you plan to "Bug Out" ...

..to have a stocked BOL set-up in advance!

Forget it. Doesn't matter how well stocked if you can't get there. I don't like being on the roads in normal times.

Most of us, if its bad enough...are staying where we stand. Try to be home when the balloon goes up.

kirgi08
07-29-2011, 23:04
The nice about being rural,is that we can bo if required and never touch pavement.'08. :woohoo:

jordanmills
07-30-2011, 00:18
I'm "bugging out" to a supplied and reinforced location where several other friends will be heading. It's about ten miles from me. I might take some time before I head out there, but I don't plan on going much farther for a while. I'm too close to a large metro area to beat out the hordes of suburban commandos that will come out of the woodwork.

If it's necessary, I'll head to my near BOL, take a couple of weeks to evaluate the sitatuation, then see if we're going to head out to join and reinforce friends and family at stocked locations a longer ways off.

Dexters
07-30-2011, 08:39
Cut that in half. On a GOOD day.

-Most folks don't stay topped off.
-Full range is possible late at night, no one on the roads, smooth sailing.

Sitting still in a traffic jam going no where, not so efficient.

It does not have to be topped off - only 15 gallons at 25 miles/gallon or even if a couple of guys pool their remaining gas.

Also, if it depends upon the type of emergency. The OP was talking about people going into the woods to hunt. So the situation is more of a medium to long term time frame. People run out of food and think 'I'll go into the woods to hunt for food.'

UneasyRider
07-30-2011, 10:57
I will bug in in all situations, if it's so bad that I have to leave my home then I'll just go with it. I am fully prepared for a year on our own and I have family and neighbors with skills. Together we will do just fine until the government gets things under control again.

emt1581
07-30-2011, 15:31
I can't plan to bug out at this point. It would mean more spending which I cannot do right now. Could I hop in my vehicle and take my family somewhere else? Sure but not some someplace I own.

Ideally I want to buy a chunk of property somewhere but that means extra taxes even before you get to put anything on the land. Then comes to shelter. Whether building a small hut or a 2nd house it's not cheap. I know I saw a few different options a few months ago that were sub-$10,000 and pretty big, but still...not there right now.

Then there is the added problem of getting there. During a SHTF, depending on the type, travel might be difficult to impossible.

Another option is to buy a mobile home of sorts. The best I've seen lately are those vans that are outfitted with a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and can comfortably sleep 4 people. However, the downside is that vehicles, especially mobile homes, wear out after a while and require constant maintenance until they do. The best compromise here would be something that can be towed. That way if the engine goes you can just buy a new (cheaper) vehicle and still have a home to pull.

As I said though, for right now I plan to bug-in. I don't need electricity and I don't need running water. I can make my own heat for at least a decade with what I've got outside. Would it suck, yup, but we'll survive.

-Emt1581

LongGun1
07-30-2011, 16:12
Forget it. Doesn't matter how well stocked if you can't get there. I don't like being on the roads in normal times.

Most of us, if its bad enough...are staying where we stand. Try to be home when the balloon goes up.

Where I am at...

..don't see much of a problem with SHTF traffic issues!

If I were in a location that did..

..an enduro or dual sport motorcycle (like my V-Strom)

..can quickly cover ground off road or negotiate snarled traffic!

(think about the chaotic bug-out scene in the movie "Deep Impact")

Or an light aircraft..

(where maybe some of my limited private pilot training will pay off :rofl: )

..charter one if you have to!

1 old 0311
07-30-2011, 17:55
I'm bugging in, this is a target-rich environment.

Exactly. I already have my field of fire sticks out.

Vic777
07-30-2011, 18:06
What you guys all don't seem to realize is ....
The S has already HTF.

emt1581
07-30-2011, 18:19
What you guys all don't seem to realize is ....
The S has already HTF.

If we dwell on SHTF...and don't notice one is going on...wouldn't that mean we're prepared or doing well?

-Emt1581

wrenrj1
07-30-2011, 18:25
I can't plan to bug out at this point. It would mean more spending which I cannot do right now. Could I hop in my vehicle and take my family somewhere else? Sure but not some someplace I own.

Ideally I want to buy a chunk of property somewhere but that means extra taxes even before you get to put anything on the land. Then comes to shelter. Whether building a small hut or a 2nd house it's not cheap. I know I saw a few different options a few months ago that were sub-$10,000 and pretty big, but still...not there right now.

Then there is the added problem of getting there. During a SHTF, depending on the type, travel might be difficult to impossible.

Another option is to buy a mobile home of sorts. The best I've seen lately are those vans that are outfitted with a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and can comfortably sleep 4 people. However, the downside is that vehicles, especially mobile homes, wear out after a while and require constant maintenance until they do. The best compromise here would be something that can be towed. That way if the engine goes you can just buy a new (cheaper) vehicle and still have a home to pull.

As I said though, for right now I plan to bug-in. I don't need electricity and I don't need running water. I can make my own heat for at least a decade with what I've got outside. Would it suck, yup, but we'll survive.

-Emt1581

I'll buy some of those colt revolvers from you if that would help! :tongueout:

emt1581
07-30-2011, 18:27
I'll buy some of those colt revolvers from you if that would help! :tongueout:

Colt revolvers? Believe it or not that is one of the only brands I do not have that I've been wanting for a while now. Every time one is available I lack the funds and every time I have the funds, there are either none to be had or they are crappy even for me that LOVES used/beater guns.

So yeah...no Colts...yet.

-Emt1581

wrenrj1
07-30-2011, 18:36
Colt revolvers? Believe it or not that is one of the only brands I do not have that I've been wanting for a while now. Every time one is available I lack the funds and every time I have the funds, there are either none to be had or they are crappy even for me that LOVES used/beater guns.

So yeah...no Colts...yet.

-Emt1581

Ya, sorry I think I you and another GT'r mixed up!:faint:

Warp
07-30-2011, 19:14
I don't want to bug out. All of my stuff is here and I could only take so much (not much really) with.

G29Reload
07-30-2011, 19:35
It does not have to be topped off - only 15 gallons at 25 miles/gallon or even if a couple of guys pool their remaining gas.

Also, if it depends upon the type of emergency. The OP was talking about people going into the woods to hunt. So the situation is more of a medium to long term time frame. People run out of food and think 'I'll go into the woods to hunt for food.'

Multiple fail.

I have a late model Camry that holds 16g sloshing full. 15 is a seriously full tank. In town driving I get 27 with mostly highway and some stop and go. 29 hwy.

If its SHTF and people are fleeing en masse? nope. instant jams, stop and go, stalls...youd be lucky to get an effective 12mpg, though with better for being so frustrated you end up shutting it off when sitting for long periods.

And you still have to have someplace to go. Motels? Hah. ask folks who have to head north out of the gulf or FL in a hurricane. Motels booked up thru 2 states away.

ITs one thing if it involves a mushroom cloud and you're trying to escape radioactivity and you just have to flee...hell there will be people killed fighting to get away...

Buggin out is major LAST RESORT...

Dexters
07-30-2011, 19:40

Multiple fail.

I have a late model Camry that holds 16g sloshing full. 15 is a seriously full tank. In town driving I get 27 with mostly highway and some stop and go. 29 hwy.

If its SHTF and people are fleeing en masse? nope. instant jams, stop and go, stalls...youd be lucky to get an effective 12mpg, though with better for being so frustrated you end up shutting it off when sitting for long periods.

And you still have to have someplace to go. Motels? Hah. ask folks who have to head north out of the gulf or FL in a hurricane. Motels booked up thru 2 states away.

ITs one thing if it involves a mushroom cloud and you're trying to escape radioactivity and you just have to flee...hell there will be people killed fighting to get away...

Try some gas cans or this:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355033&highlight=gas+ammo

I ran across a guy selling ammo cans for some good prices. While looking at some of the larger 81 and 120mm cans it occurred to me that they were big enough to hold 3 or 4 gallons of gas and as tough as jerry cans. So now I am thinking of picking up a couple and maybe rigging some sort of a spout on them and use them for gas.

What says the hive?

G29Reload
07-30-2011, 20:35
Yep, I want to buy extra gas to burn up to sit on the hiway in a jam longer.

Again, if you have to escape because you have no choice, fine. Get extra and hope you don't have a problem transporting it.

Word of warning: If your gas cans are red, paint them. OD green or beige. Red cans attract attention and/or are easily identifiable at a distance. There will reach a point if you really need the extra capacity, so will everyone else. Will become easy in short order to be killed for them. anything to cut down their visibility in or out of the vehicle.

TangoFoxtrot
07-31-2011, 05:48
Exactly. I already have my field of fire sticks out.

There no left or right limits! The F.O.F is 360 degrees.:whistling:

inzone
07-31-2011, 13:51
another strategy is to wait quite awhile....when all the gas runs out and the cars have mostly either been ditched on the road or the drivers made it to their destinations...and then use your stockpiled gas to bug out.....better have a good bumper and some tools to get abandoned vehicles out of your way and a 4WD also......

emt1581
07-31-2011, 14:14
another strategy is to wait quite awhile....when all the gas runs out and the cars have mostly either been ditched on the road or the drivers made it to their destinations...and then use your stockpiled gas to bug out.....better have a good bumper and some tools to get abandoned vehicles out of your way and a 4WD also......

By that time the highways will all be blocked by the no longer running vehicles and all the tools and bumpers (pray the airbag can be de-activated) won't do you much good.

4WD would let the medians, gutters/ditches, etc...be your new road..so long as they aren't filled as well.

-Emt1581

williamN
07-31-2011, 15:00
For most, bugging out = refugee.

By recent history, refugees never do well without government assistance ( usually the U.S.gov ).

G29Reload
07-31-2011, 16:48
By recent history, refugees never do well without government assistance ( usually the U.S.gov ).

Government Assistance = a camp of some sort. With other refugees. Taking whats given them. And no more. Usually determined by someone else.

wrenrj1
07-31-2011, 17:42
Multiple fail.

This is a great reason to bug in by the way...

emt1581
07-31-2011, 17:46
Government Assistance = a camp of some sort. With other refugees. Taking whats given them. And no more. Usually determined by someone else.

And also forced to give up what someone else does not approve of... say good bye to your guns, pets, and any medications you can't produce a medical record for. Okay I threw that last one in there but crap like that is probably true.

Again, this is why I vote for living out of a vehicle/mobile home short term (<1 month).

-Emt1581

TangoFoxtrot
08-01-2011, 02:43
If your properly prepped bugging out is not a viable option unless your home is going to be washed off its foundation by flood or tornado or be burned down by a wildfire.

Warp
08-01-2011, 02:49
If your properly prepped bugging out is not a viable option unless your home is going to be washed off its foundation by flood or tornado or be burned down by a wildfire.

A lot of events could force a bugout, be it a localized/temporary thing or part of a major disaster. Of course you don't want to have to do it, but you might.