So talk to me about BusyBox... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So talk to me about BusyBox...

Pierre!
07-28-2011, 11:05
Hey to All,

Found 'BusyBox' loading on a D-Link router during start up... and I don't have 'BusyBox' on MY identical router...

Client had no idea either... so I pulled it and swapped in one of my spare routers.

I get the impression after googleing that this is a Linux open source "network tool" that is frequently used for *hacking*... Am I reading this right?

I think I will download the most recent D-Link router software for the model and overwrite the current OS.. and see if BusyBox mysteriously *goes away*....

Any other thoughts I should entertain?

TIA

Patrick

jasonvp
07-28-2011, 11:36
Found 'BusyBox' loading on a D-Link router during start up... and I don't have 'BusyBox' on MY identical router...

BusyBox is a statically linked, all-in-one mini Linux distribution that is used for several things like routers, NAT devices, and a few other things. In fact, VMWare's hypervisor is also built off of BusyBox.

It's basically a teeny distro with a kernel and one or two different executable files. Each of those files can do a ton of different things.

It's entirely likely that someone replaced the factory OS on the D-Link device with one based on BusyBox. Not sure there, but it's nothing to worry about unless it's not working.

jas

Pierre!
07-28-2011, 12:24
BusyBox is a statically linked, all-in-one mini Linux distribution that is used for several things like routers, NAT devices, and a few other things. In fact, VMWare's hypervisor is also built off of BusyBox.

It's basically a teeny distro with a kernel and one or two different executable files. Each of those files can do a ton of different things.

It's entirely likely that someone replaced the factory OS on the D-Link device with one based on BusyBox. Not sure there, but it's nothing to worry about unless it's not working.

jas

Unless I got 'busyboxed' as well, it must be part of the router firmware! Mine states it too during startup... and I am 'clean'.

Great! Lil bit o sweat for nothin. :cool: