GHB significantly different from BOB? Contents? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GHB significantly different from BOB? Contents?

Bolster
07-28-2011, 16:26
(1) Do you think a GHB (get home bag) is significantly different from a BOB, or do you think they're pretty much the same, and use one bag for both purposes?

(2) If you have a separate GHB, and think the GHB requires different content (or amount), how's your GHB different from your BOB? What are the contents of your GHB?

The reason I'm asking: I'm trying to assemble a GHB, because my BOB is just too big for daily schlepping in my vehicle. I'm trying hard to keep the GHB to a reasonable size and weight, so I'm starting to think of my new GHB as a minimalist BOB.

ratf51
07-28-2011, 17:28
I keep a Get Home Bag in my car. Its purpose: provide me what I might need in order to get home. At worst, I am a days walk away from home. Food is minimal in my bag, I have the ability to purify water (lots of water sources in my area), a first aid kit, the ability to start a fire, a multi-tool (Leatherman Wave), and a few other nik-naks that I think might be useful.

I do not have a Bug Out Bag because I have no place to bug too. The BOB would be set up for providing for more needs for more days.

I change what type of bag I use seasonally. Spring/Summer I go to a smaller bag (Hawkepak Civil Defense Survival Kit), Fall/Winter I use an REI daypack because I keep some additions to clothing for colder weather.

My worst case would be a 40 mile hike; but where I am that would be mostly rural travel. How long would it take to work your way across the metro LA area? And based on that, you would probably have need of a few things I would not.

List those things that you think you would need, compare to others' lists (which you are trying to do here), and continue to think "minimalist". To my mind the objective is to get home as quickly as possible, too much stuff can slow you down, but not enough could possibly prevent you from completing the trip. The hard part is trying to find the happy medium (the Amazing Kreskin having a good day.)

Bolster
07-28-2011, 18:34
Good reply that helps me find my target. I have a Jansport school-type pack, but I may not be thinking minimalist enough yet.

Contents dump: Atwood tool, Bags large plastic x3, Band aid assortment, Bandage ace, Bandage triangular, Bandana x2, Batteries lithium 5AA, Blanket emergency, Bottle 16 oz, Can opener, Carabiner, Compass, Crayons x2, Croakies, Earplugs, Flashlight L2D 2AA, Flashlight diffuser, Flashlight Icon II 1AA headlamp, Flint & Striker, Floss, Food: dry fruit & bar, Fork & Spoon, Gatorade powder, Gauze pads, Glasses spare, Goggles, Gloves nitrile & work, Hat, Kleenex, Knee pads, Knife folding, Leash, Line 6lb x 10yd, Liq: Bleach, Liq: Hand sterilizer, Liq: Sunblock 15, Maps, Mask N95 x2, Matches, Moleskin, Multitool Leatherman, Paper pad, Pen Sharpie, Pencil, Pipette, Pins safety, Poncho, Pouch, Pry bar 10", Radio 2AA, Razor safety, Rope 1/4x50, Rubber bands, Ruler 3”, Saw (wire style), Scissors, Soap, Socks x3, Sticks popsicle, Swivel for line, Tape caution, Tape duct, Tape medical, Tinder, Thread & needle, Tweezers, Water Bottle, Wipes, Wire copper, Wrench adj., Whistle. In the car to be added last minute: Water, cash, cell phone, OC spray, boots.

Listed like that, it seems too much. It's 11 lbs without the water added.

Aceman
07-28-2011, 18:53
My bags are my bags. I select the combo appropriate for the task.

I have more load out options if I'm starting at home.

Otherwise, all the same.

Pouch
Bag
Belt pack
Back Pack

Each layer let's me do more/easier and stay out longer. depending on a situation, there might be more/less food/ammo.

I always go minimal, and never leave them static - fill & forget. I keep them changing all the time. Always thinking about what I need at THIS moment for THIS situation. They really are basics.

jdavionic
07-28-2011, 18:56
(1) Do you think a GHB (get home bag) is significantly different from a BOB, or do you think they're pretty much the same, and use one bag for both purposes?
It depends. In my previous work location, the distance home was significantly further than what it is today. I carried 1 of the 2 BOBs in my vehicle, which included more supplies (including more water, more food, etc) than my GHB today.

My company moved and my commute is relatively short. I no longer need or want the 35-40 lbs BOB. I now have a Max Jumbo Versipak that has just what I need (or think I need) to get me home in an emergency. It's much lighter, easier to carry, and less obvious than the huge BOB.

(2) If you have a separate GHB, and think the GHB requires different content (or amount), how's your GHB different from your BOB? What are the contents of your GHB?
I posted a picture of the GHB and contents some time ago. I'd have to try & dig it up. Off the top of my head -
2 bottles of water
2 energy bars
n95 mask
first aid supplies
flashlight with extra batteries
extra 100 rds of 9mm in a sealed bag
compass, mag, and my handheld GPS is in the vehicle
radio with small hand crank for power
wire cutters
rope
poncho
magnesium firestarter
...probably more that I'm forgetting

I always have a pocket knife on me, firearms, etc.

quake
07-28-2011, 18:58
Fwiw (and not at all meaning to sound sarcastic) the search function does dig up quite a bit. Quick search for "ghb" dredged these up; may be worth looking at:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353898
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353423
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349127
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812551
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348815

{eta - my take on it, from one of those threads}:

To me, a ghb is a very different animal from a bob. My ghb kit is to get me home (or to my secondary residence or my place of work) in the event that I must abandon my vehicle and find myself suddenly on foot. BOB kit imo is very different - while a ghb kit is carried in the vehicle and used to get home if the vehicle is abandoned, a bob kit is at home and grabbed if home has to be suddenly abandoned. Chemical spill by a rail car, incident at a nuke plant or whatever the cause; if you have to leave home suddenly, without a known return date, that's what a bob is for.

Boiled down, I guess it comes down to this (for me at least):
- ghb is for getting home when abandoning my vehicle
- bob is for when abandoning home

Lots of overlap in requirements, but not completely the same; in function or scale either one. A bob-required incident could mean a week at a red cross shelter, it could mean driving (or hoofing it) to a family member's house out of your immediate area, anything up to & including a full-on, no-end-date-known incident where there's a LOT of people affected and it's just plain old get-out-of-dodge time in order to survive whatever is behind you.

A ghb imo doesn't need to be nearly as extensive or expansive as a bob. Personally, I hate the idea of needing a bob; to the point of having more than one preset safe haven in three different towns. Could still need to and am prepared to if necessary, but not what I want if I can at all prevent it. I don't want my wife to have to go thru that, and believe it's my responsibility to prevent her having to if at all possible.

FryCook
07-28-2011, 19:01
How far away from home do you usually find yourself?
For me it's never more than 20 miles on a normal day so getting home should only be a hard day walking. Maybe two days if there is some kind of big disaster and bridges are out ect.
My GHB is fairly minimalist.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg8/reddstarr88/DSC01326.jpg

Couple food bars, multitool, flashlight with batteries, FAK, pocket waterfilter and firestarting stuff.
I keep water and extra warm clothes in both my cars so I can grab that if need be.
My BOB on the other hand is WAY overpacked. I figure if I'm grabbing that I might not be coming back.

jdavionic
07-28-2011, 19:08
Found the old thread/post...contents have changed some since then and have been updated below
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1099915

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3844/img0884l.jpg (http://img9.imageshack.us/i/img0884l.jpg/)

FoxLabs Pepper Spray (still carry, but no longer in the bag)
Coastal LED tactical flashlight
pack of AAA batteries (for the flashlight)
Grundig radio with it's own built-in generator (little hand crank)
snake kit
first aid kit
small Deep Woods Off (mainly because we take the same bag on short hikes)
sharpies
pens
pad
lensatic compass (now have handheld GPS in car too)
local map (in a large ziplock bag)
whistles
binoculars
100 rds of 9mm
water
2 energy bars
sunscreen
paracord
wire cutters
gerber multi-tool
magnesium firestarter
light sticks (2)
poncho

Along with the bag, I have a wire folder AK-47 with 6x 30 rd magazines, a G19, Kershaw Whirlwind knife, and Ruger LCP.[/QUOTE]

cowboy1964
07-28-2011, 19:58
Never have a place to bug out too?! Irrelevant if you are forced to bug out due to a nuke or bio or chem attack. You will bug out to SOMEWHERE.

ratf51
07-28-2011, 21:00
Good reply that helps me find my target. I have a Jansport school-type pack, but I may not be thinking minimalist enough yet.

Contents dump: Atwood tool, Bags large plastic x3, Band aid assortment, Bandage ace, Bandage triangular, Bandana x2, Batteries lithium 5AA, Blanket emergency, Bottle 16 oz, Can opener, Carabiner, Compass, Crayons x2, Croakies, Earplugs, Flashlight L2D 2AA, Flashlight diffuser, Flashlight Icon II 1AA headlamp, Flint & Striker, Floss, Food: dry fruit & bar, Fork & Spoon, Gatorade powder, Gauze pads, Glasses spare, Goggles, Gloves nitrile & work, Hat, Kleenex, Knee pads, Knife folding, Leash, Line 6lb x 10yd, Liq: Bleach, Liq: Hand sterilizer, Liq: Sunblock 15, Maps, Mask N95 x2, Matches, Moleskin, Multitool Leatherman, Paper pad, Pen Sharpie, Pencil, Pipette, Pins safety, Poncho, Pouch, Pry bar 10", Radio 2AA, Razor safety, Rope 1/4x50, Rubber bands, Ruler 3”, Saw (wire style), Scissors, Soap, Socks x3, Sticks popsicle, Swivel for line, Tape caution, Tape duct, Tape medical, Tinder, Thread & needle, Tweezers, Water Bottle, Wipes, Wire copper, Wrench adj., Whistle. In the car to be added last minute: Water, cash, cell phone, OC spray, boots.

Listed like that, it seems too much. It's 11 lbs without the water added.
Yow! You listed everything alphabetically! Aren't you glad I noticed?

Actually, 11 pounds doesn't sound too bad. You know your terrain better than I do and on the basis of that knowledge you project what you might need. The list looks pretty good; just some questions-- 10" pry bar? OK, I can envision it. (I keep a Becker Tac-Tool in my car, it is not in the GHB per se but it will definitely come along if I have to ditch the vehicle.) Scissors-- your Leatherman should have scissors, does it not? Rope-- can't picture the size, but I would recommend paracord instead. Tweezers-- good job! Tweezers are actually one of the more useful items to have around in my experience (YMMV). What you have sounds pretty good to me.

LongGun1
07-28-2011, 21:36

The reason I'm asking: I'm trying to assemble a GHB, because my BOB is just too big for daily schlepping in my vehicle. I'm trying hard to keep the GHB to a reasonable size and weight, so I'm starting to think of my new GHB as a minimalist BOB.

#1....My GHB (actually multiple bags of gear) is significantly different from my family's BOBs.

#2....Our BOBs are basically 72 hour kits..

..my GHB(s) much more involved..

.. & are essentially shells (ie sheeple camouflage) for the layers of SHTF wearable and/or carry gear inside...

..covering personal protection, nutrition, radiological detection & abatement, SHTF clothing/boots, medical kit, hydration bladders, fluids, etc..

..most everything I may need to get back home (on foot) from hundreds of miles away during most types of WCS I can envision!

How much of the GBH gear I decide to transport really depends on the situation presented..

(would much rather discard what is not needed, than not have the necessary gear for a specific scenario)

..and if needed..all of it can be strapped in the shells/bags/cases to a 'rugged use' expandable dolly..

You may ask why a dolly..

..even though I can wear all of the gear...(I'm 6' 7" & 295lb)

..I would rather save energy (and be a little less conspicuous :whistling:) & drag it behind me..

...and besides....all of the tactical wheelbarrows were sold out! :rofl:

Here is an older pic of my gear..

..but it has changed some since then!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/PICT0047.jpg

TangoFoxtrot
07-29-2011, 01:46
I have a GHB in my vehicle,and a BOB at home. My GHB enables me to get home from about a 20 mile hike with about a 3 day supply for a rural area. My BOB is a more intense setup to include survival in the bush.

quake
07-29-2011, 06:31
...I would rather save energy (and be a little less conspicuous...
Yeah... that's gonna happen.

I can hear it now: "Mommy, isn't that the guy from Harry & the Hendersons?" :tongueout:

mac66
07-29-2011, 07:23
I think by definition a GHB and BOB are different. One allows you the basic essentials to make it home in a disaster. The other allows you to leave home and survive for an extended period of time. The GHB is for the short term, the BOB for longer term survival at least in my view.

Bolster
07-29-2011, 13:10
What a righteous forum this is. Great answers, very helpful.

To field a few questions & comments:

(1) So there does appear to be a significant difference between BOB and GHB packing for most people. Like most people who responded, my GHB is stashed in an automobile for the walk home.

(2) I am considering a dry-run of walking home from work. It would be 25 miles of walking through some ghetto-y areas, so is not a “risk free” enterprise. That’s 6-8 hours of walking. I can carry no firearms, am not a SD expert, and am 50 years old (literally a “gray man”). Part of the mapping exercise would be to locate the safer neighborhoods to walk in.

(3) Good ideas that I don’t have in my bag (thank you): Wire cutter. Sweatshirt. OC spray. Bug spray. Paracord. A few redundancies you find in my list, are because my bag has to do double-duty as a CERT bag, which has a few unique requirements (marking tape, medical style scissors, pry bar, etc).

LongGun1
07-29-2011, 14:02
I think by definition a GHB and BOB are different. One allows you the basic essentials to make it home in a disaster. The other allows you to leave home and survive for an extended period of time. The GHB is for the short term, the BOB for longer term survival at least in my view.

Each may have different requirements for GHB & BOB..

..rural vs. urban...

..short commute to work vs. those having to work hundreds of miles from home..

..etc

As for me....my 2 homes are separated by almost 400 miles..

..and my logic is predicated on that.

Also..and consider this carefully if you are interested in contingency planning..

..at home you will likely have access to most or even all of your preps..

..so if the SHTF & it is a for example a 'Nuclear Emergency'..

..you may quickly make some modifications to your BOB & "bug out" if the situation called for it.

But on the road a few hours drive, but a day or 2 walk away from home..

..you will not have access to those extensive preps..

..& if you are a minimalist...

..a bag containing a leatherman, some liquids & a Glock..

..is not going to allow you the nuclear detection capability necessary to keep you alive.

Like I stated, each person has different needs, different prep budgets..

.. & vary in willingness to address very real, but statistically unlikely threats.

Personally....like the Fire Extinguishers, Smoke Alarms, Fire Insurance, etc.. in my homes..

..I hope my more extensive preps are never needed..

..but that being said...

..I will not part with them simply due to the slim likelihood they will ever be employed!

But if you are going to the trouble of preparing a GHB & BOB..

.. then carefully consider the reasons you would absolutely need one..

..& choose wisely! :whistling:

As Quake pointed out years back..

"It is not about the odds, it is about the stakes!"

Works for me! :thumbsup:

YMMV

Bolster
07-29-2011, 14:33
..a bag containing a leatherman, some liquids & a Glock..is not going to allow you the nuclear detection capability necessary to keep you alive.

Yeah. I'm thinking in a nuclear event, the most important tools suddenly become mass (to put over and around you) and a radio (to tell you where the fallout is...if it still works); and if you're on the road, then a full gas tank (if your car still runs. If, if, if). We like to think of guns and knives being prime prep items, but in many situations they're virtually useless.

... very real, but statistically unlikely threats.

I don't suppose there's any credible source for learning the statistical probability of various threats for various locations, is there? If you were going to take a completely logical approach to prep, you'd first learn of the most likely disasters to be encountered in a particular area, and put most of your prep time & money into those that are the most probable.

In my "neck of the city," our disaster preparedness groups worry about three main things: (1) terror, because of nearby Los Angeles Harbor and its many easy targets (large ships, large gas tanks and such); (2) earthquake; and (3) water supply. We don't, for example, spend any time on hurricane, tornado, or tsunami threats (that third one seems a big omission to me!) But I learned all this through hearsay and working my way into the prep community in my neighborhood. It would be nice if there were a "prep clearinghouse" of information about which disasters are most likely. That would even help with BOB and GHB packing.

LongGun1
07-29-2011, 15:23
Yeah. I'm thinking in a nuclear event, the most important tools suddenly become mass (to put over and around you) and a radio (to tell you where the fallout is...if it still works); and if you're on the road, then a full gas tank (if your car still runs. If, if, if). We like to think of guns and knives being prime prep items, but in many situations they're virtually useless.

Since you cannot wear enough gamma defeating mass..

(some here may not know that)

.. in that case some type of improvised shelter would be needed...fast.

Even IF... there are local stations still transmitting after this emergency..

..especially if a EMP or HEMP was part of the emergency..

..best not depend on them for accurate fallout patterns & levels of different types of radiation..

..doubtful the average broadcaster knows the difference between rad, rem & sievert.. :whistling:

..nor the equipment to remote detect any type of radiation...LOL!!

Even if available...& than would be a very unlikely IF...

..waiting for this type of information is a good way to soak up a lethal or debilitating dose....IMO!

IMO...you need an accurate way of detecting 'real time' doses of radiation exactly where you are located..

..and type of radiation!

Alpha & Beta....no problem...good full coverage rainsuit/surgical suit/Tyvek PPE with booties/gloves/hood/N100 mask & basically you are ready to roll!

Gamma....you need radiation defeating mass....ASAP!!

I don't suppose there's any credible source for learning the statistical probability of various threats for various locations, is there? If you were going to take a completely logical approach to prep, you'd first learn of the most likely disasters to be encountered in a particular area, and put most of your prep time & money into those that are the most probable.

There are many discussions of this nature (both official & unofficial)..

..mostly academic...IMO!

I have been on both sides of this discussion..

..and during my last with a leading local member of Homeland Security/FEMA..

..not reassuring to put it mildly!

Keep in mind.... our expensive & decades to build infrastructure for Nuclear Civil Defense (except for 2 states...IIRC) was gutted & scrapped during the Clinton Administration.

Now...Stocked shelters for high level Politicians & some Federal Bureaucrats...

..basically none for the general populace.

IIRC...Russia & China have continued to build a large CD infrastructure for their 'at risk' populations..

..so obviously the thought of MAD is not in their 'total war' playbook!

I am of the opinion that the inevitability of a Nuclear Device(s) detonated on US soil has increased since the breakup of the USSR...

..not lessoned.

Iran, North Korea, non-state actors & orgs simply are 'odds enhancers' of that happening...IMO

But only you can prep for you & determine the odds of a given situation occurring in your lifetime..

..kind of like a worst nightmare game of musical chairs..

..except (many orders of magnitude) fewer chairs & much greater stakes!

YMMV

In my "neck of the city," our disaster preparedness groups worry about three main things: (1) terror, because of nearby Los Angeles Harbor and its many easy targets (large ships, large gas tanks and such); (2) earthquake; and (3) water supply. We don't, for example, spend any time on hurricane, tornado, or tsunami threats (that third one seems a big omission to me!) But I learned all this through hearsay and working my way into the prep community in my neighborhood. It would be nice if there were a "prep clearinghouse" of information about which disasters are most likely. That would even help with BOB and GHB packing.

The 3rd one (Tsunami) is a VERY big omission....IMO

..hopefully will not be a very regrettable one! :shocked:

Besides the previously mentioned & a large Tsunami..

..I would add EMP/HEMP, widespread civil unrest & accompanying violence..

..and the possibility of a sudden financial collapse combined with the latter.

It helps to have a network of local friends/family with the situational awareness, willingness & capability to cover each others back!

A head start could be a lifesaver...

..and a good reliable form of communications is key to that end!

Hope this little insight into my preparedness philosophy helps! :supergrin:

ratf51
07-29-2011, 16:08
(2) I am considering a dry-run of walking home from work. It would be 25 miles of walking through some ghetto-y areas, so is not a “risk free” enterprise. That’s 6-8 hours of walking. I can carry no firearms, am not a SD expert, and am 50 years old (literally a “gray man”). Part of the mapping exercise would be to locate the safer neighborhoods to walk in.

Sit down with a city map of L.A. and hi-lite the areas to avoid and then keep that map with you. I can only imagine that circumventing those areas is going to add mileage to your walk. And I agree, being the "gray man" is the way to go-- do and have nothing that draws attention to yourself.

ratf51
07-29-2011, 16:18

There was a very short thread a couple of months ago that had a link to a natural disaster probability map. I am basically GT forum incompetent so I am clueless re: linking the post, but the thread title is "Natural Disaster Risk Map of U.S.". Might not be exactly what you're looking for but it's a start.

Bolster
07-29-2011, 18:12
Sit down with a city map of L.A...

That was eye opening. I found a crime map of Los Angeles. See the red zones on either side of the 110 (the vertical red area on the lower part of the map, running from Los Angeles to Long Beach)? That's the corridor I drive back and forth to work. Some of those areas have crime rates as high as 109+/10,000. In other words, super high. (Same areas that were burning during the LA riots.)

So after this exercise, I have a whole new route (more westerly) to walk home. It's longer, but keeps me out of those zones where you really don't want to be on foot, with no weapon. Let me restate that...keeps me out of zones where you really don't want to be. Period.

See, this is stuff I would just not have considered, without my preparedness friends urging me to think ahead. Very, very useful. Maybe lifesaving someday. Hope this thread motivates others to check the crime maps of their cities.

http://members.cox.net/kspot/interest/bad-la.png

This map also motivates me to keep the car in good condition. Some of my drive route puts me into the reddest of the red, not visible on this map.

How red will the zones go when the S hits the F?

JK-linux
07-29-2011, 18:29

quake
07-29-2011, 19:04
Another good source of info (believe it or not) is mapquest or google maps. In addition to the normal "directions" lookups, you can set other criteria such as 'avoid highways', 'avoid toll roads', etc.

Terraserver & other satellite photos are also handy for giving a birdseye view of an area; gives a perspective that you don't otherwise have.

...Hope this thread motivates others to check the crime maps of their cities...
I looked; there's not one... :tongueout:

LongGun1
07-29-2011, 21:57
I looked; there's not one... :tongueout:

+1 :thumbsup:

We have actually turned down job offers after looking at the "crime maps"..

..combined with the commute necessary to be in a safer area!

Memphis was one such area.... :shocked:

Just not worth the risk! :whistling:

IIRC....Most reported "crime" in my N Ark AO is..

..wild animals getting into garbage cans! :rofl:

Though we did have a very rare, 1st time, "Major Crime" just this week...

..a snake somehow got into the house! :wow:

kirgi08
07-29-2011, 23:59
Yeah... that's gonna happen.

I can hear it now: "Mommy, isn't that the guy from Harry & the Hendersons?" :tongueout:

:animlol:

Sorry LG.'08.

LongGun1
08-02-2011, 17:27
:animlol:

Sorry LG.'08.

Hey, I may be the size of Harry... :whistling:

..but Quake could be his twin brother! :rofl: :tongueout: