Dollar at record low [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dollar at record low

88MPH
07-29-2011, 15:51
These folks are a little more optimistic than I am about a bounce but it looks like the bad times are officially here.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/29/us-markets-forex-idUSTRE74U02L20110729

wjv
07-29-2011, 16:08
>> The dollar on Friday hit a record low against the Swiss franc

But the dollar index (DXY:IND) has been lower than it is today (2008 for example) It's at 73.9 today, but has been as low as 70.698 in 2008.

racerford
07-29-2011, 17:51
It all depends on the reference. I can remember when it was $2.48 to the British Pound. We are significantly better than that.

cowboy1964
07-29-2011, 18:52
What boggles my mind is how the Yen has stayed so strong all these years. Their debt to GDP is over 200% and has been for years! That makes Greece look like a safe haven.

And if I hear one more talking head equate next Tuesday with "default" I'm going to lose it.

TangoFoxtrot
07-31-2011, 05:52
Not only is the US dollar low, but so is the american publics patience!

rj1939
07-31-2011, 07:35
It (the dollar) is only reaching its intrinsic value.

pugman
07-31-2011, 08:36
No worries...it will hit a new low soon enough

DoctaGlockta
07-31-2011, 08:53
Buy low, sell high.

inzone
07-31-2011, 13:41
just wait until all the chickens come home to roost.....the chickens of quantitative easing (creating billions of dollars out of thin air)and unfunded entitlements and contingent liabilities combined with all the petro-dollars sitting out there and the treasury debt in the sovereign funds....and then add in the catastrophic effect of soaring interest rates on servicing all that debt.....

seriously...it is the beginning of the end..imho.....maybe after the crash we can rebuild.....after all...eventually (emphasis on eventually) Germany did rebuild after the Weimar republic collapsed and Hitler destroyed Germany..... and hey...look on the brigh side, Germany is now reunited as a single country again!......so , no worries, it always eventually works out!........ :brickwall:

racerford
07-31-2011, 19:20
just wait until all the chickens come home to roost.....the chickens of quantitative easing (creating billions of dollars out of thin air)and unfunded entitlements and contingent liabilities combined with all the petro-dollars sitting out there and the treasury debt in the sovereign funds....and then add in the catastrophic effect of soaring interest rates on servicing all that debt.....

seriously...it is the beginning of the end..imho.....maybe after the crash we can rebuild.....after all...eventually (emphasis on eventually) Germany did rebuild after the Weimar republic collapsed and Hitler destroyed Germany..... and hey...look on the brigh side, Germany is now reunited as a single country again!......so , no worries, it always eventually works out!........ :brickwall:

Germany did not rebuild on its own. Has no one heard of the Marshall Plan?

TangoFoxtrot
08-01-2011, 02:55
Well no one us going to come and help us rebuild.

racerford
08-01-2011, 21:30
Well no one us going to come and help us rebuild.

True. I don't think anybody is really in a position to help us.

The thing that is most likely to help us is devaluation of the dollar. It would boost production and reduce imports. It may even stem the tide of offshoring technology jobs and even reverse it. Without the artificially under-valued Yuan, China would not have the growth it is having. We and other countries are helping them build their production infrastructure that they will need to support their own economy once the bulk their own people can afford to consume and live on more than a subsistance level.

Lone Kimono
08-01-2011, 22:37
If our credit rating lowers how will that effect our buying power here in the US? Will inflation go through the roof? Is it time to make those purchases I've been holding off on?

G29Reload
08-01-2011, 22:53
We're screwed.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/08/we_the_stupid.html

hits the nail on the head.