Rats! One of my fans is starting to hum..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rats! One of my fans is starting to hum.....

Detectorist
07-29-2011, 17:09
It gets 100F in here. I wonder if it's the video card or processor fan...

Dell E520. I hope it doesn't get any worse...at least until I have money to replace stuff.

MrSmoofy
07-29-2011, 17:26
should be able to replace the processor fan pretty cheap, the video card fan could be difficult they are sometimes not replacable.

CitizenOfDreams
07-29-2011, 17:58
You can take the fan apart, then clean the bearing (solvent such as Hoppes #9) and lubricate it (lithium grease). That will solve the problem for a few months.

gemeinschaft
07-29-2011, 18:29
I have had fans hum when they just had dust in them. Sometimes just a thorough cleaning does the trick.

Ogreon
07-29-2011, 20:24
I would imagine that as a last ditch effort, one could pop off the side panel and point a full-size fan into the heart of the beast. One of those industrial-style fans, might look cool. Maybe you could spark a new modding craze.

GAFinch
07-29-2011, 20:59
One of mine did that recently...a few shots of compressed air fixed it.

filthy infidel
07-30-2011, 06:01
You'd be hard pressed to find one that costs more than ten bucks....

I have a friend (this couple goes waaay back) and these guys are CHEAP. My phone started blowing up (while I was at work)- when Mary calls you have to have a lot of time on your hands, I didn't.

When I got home my wife said our phone blew up, then the couple shows up at the door. The big emergency- one of their computer fans died, and they 'knew I had spare parts"- they spent $5.00 in gas to drive over here and actually expected to root through my office because they just knew I had a I'd let them have.. Thankfully my wife didn't let them in and they found a new fan, for $6.50, on the way home.

Pierre!
07-30-2011, 08:39
I also try the compressed air trick before I call em dead. I have a 120 fan that is going back and forth trying to make up it's mind about when it will fail on me... :faint:

I keep the inexpensive fans in stock just in case... and then order up the PWM fans when needed.

I really like PWM fans - You can control them with SpeedFan which will greatly reduce the noise in the 'office'.

They have risen dramatically in price these days! Nothing under $15 from what I have found!

Perhaps I need to find another Fan source too...

Or just save up the $$$ and go with one of these:
CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181013)

The reviews are mixed on this Corsair cooler, but I figure that the installer skillz pretty much affect the success of this product... Still kinda on the fence about it...

HTH!
Patrick

Detectorist
07-31-2011, 21:17
Thanks for the ideas, guys. If it gets worse, I'll open her up and blow 'em out and lube.

StarvinMarvin
07-31-2011, 22:45
Thanks for the ideas, guys. If it gets worse, I'll open her up and blow 'em out and lube.

1. get some compressed air
2. blast out all the dust you see
If still issue
3. find the bad fan and replace

All fans can be swapped with relative ease except the ones in your power supply, and even those aren't too bad. Is this computer something that is still under warranty?

I would guess there is just too much dust and therefore too much static pressure for those fans to overcome. Clean it out before it causes a fan to fail.

Ogreon
08-02-2011, 22:55
I'm sorry. I tried to resist, but I can't fight it any longer...

Teach it the lyrics!

Detectorist
08-06-2011, 21:08
I'm sorry. I tried to resist, but I can't fight it any longer...

Teach it the lyrics!

:rofl: