Decision [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Decision

ancient_serpent
07-30-2011, 14:06
I've got a Series 70 Colt from 1976. Got all the original parts, original grips, Collet bushing, the whole 9 yards. Its a beautiful gun, obviously the previous owner didn't shoot it much, if ever, it's in amazing shape.
And that's the problem. I don't like having a safe queen, but I'm hesitant to get this one cut to fit a grip safety, new sights, etc.
I'm not sure if I shoudl just bite the bullet and sell it to someone that would keep it original, or just send it off to a good smith and tune it up for carry.
Thoughts?

glock2619
07-30-2011, 14:43
Tough one. I know what you mean. I've got an old 1969 Hi Power that's too nice (IMO) to let someone customize, so I just shoot it as is. It actually works very well for a 42yo piece. That's why I found something current to work on.

Regarding yours, it sounds like it's just a bit too nice to cut up. There was a guy in the classifieds that had a series 70 for sale not long ago that looked to be a perfect candidate to build. If it were me, I would do whatever you wanted (nothing permanent) to make the one you have shootable, and find another base gun to customize for carry. Just my $0.02.

Good luck.

bac1023
07-30-2011, 14:44
I'd buy something else for carry. I wouldn't chop that up.

skdmrklcy
07-30-2011, 14:45
Well I would send it off for the work. They are desirable but not all that collectible unless it is a really rare piece. A quick look at gunbroker shows 70 colts with everything in mint shape box and all(very important) they are going for 1k to 1.4k not sure what they are really selling for. My guess is less.

With that in mind they make a hell of a base gun for custom work.

EDIT: If it has any sentimental value.. like you have owned from 1976.. then I change my answer to keep it as is.

jrs93accord
07-30-2011, 15:37
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/DSC00655.jpg

This is a 1980 Colt MkIV Series 70 Government Model that is pristine. It looks like it was never fired. I bought it a couple years ago and it remains just as it was when I bought it. It is a safe queen and will never be fired as long as I have it. if you are looking for something to modify, I would suggest to find something that is not a collector piece. If I had the funds, I would take that off your hands right now and preserve it.

ancient_serpent
07-30-2011, 15:39
Thanks for the replies. No, I bought it second hand, I've only had it for a year or so. I'm a bit ignorant on this, so don't flame me for asking, but are there decent "drop in" parts I could have installed without changing the base gun? Sights, too?

Edit: Ok, I hear you. I think Bac and jrs are right; I'm not going to do anything permanent to the gun. I currently EDC a Kimber Pro CDP II, but I would like to move to something without a FLGR. I'll do that, eventually, maybe, sell the Kimber to finance a new 1911 purchase for EDC and carry the Colt on special occasions.

woodrowNC
07-30-2011, 17:39
if yuo can, do what i did. pick up two. take the lesser and have it redone. in my case back to bone stock, just new. i'll carry and shoot the 78 with little upgrades here and there. checkered flat msh, Wolllf springs. in my opinion the trigger doesn't need and work it'll look good but it'll also get shot a lot. now the colt shop gun will get shot but not handled roughly.doubht it ever sees the inside of a holstet

would be a nice delima.

glock2619
07-30-2011, 19:33
Thanks for the replies. No, I bought it second hand, I've only had it for a year or so. I'm a bit ignorant on this, so don't flame me for asking, but are there decent "drop in" parts I could have installed without changing the base gun? Sights, too?

Edit: Ok, I hear you. I think Bac and jrs are right; I'm not going to do anything permanent to the gun. I currently EDC a Kimber Pro CDP II, but I would like to move to something without a FLGR. I'll do that, eventually, maybe, sell the Kimber to finance a new 1911 purchase for EDC and carry the Colt on special occasions.

As far as non-permanent mods:
If you want it to shoot, you could have EGW make you a custom barrel bushing. You could do a Harrison retro or 10-8 rear signt. Front is staked (I believe), so you're probably stuck with that. Little orange paint would do wonders for the front if you wanted. If you want to save your internals (or upgrade), you could order a Harrison hammer/sear/disco set and for the most part, it will drop right in. You would need to fit another thumb safety to it, and that would need to be fitted.

Just some thoughts.

Jim S.
07-31-2011, 07:00
You know that gun is ok to leave the way it is and still be used and or carried.
My original carry gun which was on my side for 30+ years was a series 70 Colt that I simply changed the trigger to a Long adjustable.
It was acceptably accurate and it was dependable.
Your gun should be no different. Shoot it and see.

samuse
07-31-2011, 07:35
I'd have a hard time saying that I would or wouldn't chop it up.

1) I don't have safe queens. At all.

2) I really don't like shooting a 1911 in original configuration.

3) I really don't have a problem shooting a 1911 in original config.

4) IMO, the 70 series is still in production, so you can go buy a new one anytime you want. Why would an old one be collectible now?

5) Sometimes I do feel sentimental about old stuff and just want to leave it alone. Even if it's not some valuable or collectible antique.

skdmrklcy
07-31-2011, 09:21
Well the new ones are not the same as the old ones in that the new ones are actually more a Pre70 than a 70. No Collet bushing on the new ones.

bac1023
07-31-2011, 09:43
Well the new ones are not the same as the old ones in that the new ones are actually more a Pre70 than a 70. No Collet bushing on the new ones.

Yep, Collet bushings aren't used in the Series 70 reproductions.

CMG
07-31-2011, 12:34
I would customize it in a heart-beat.

dnuggett
07-31-2011, 13:24
I'd buy something else for carry. I wouldn't chop that up.

Totally agree.

ancient_serpent
07-31-2011, 13:56
It'll stay stock. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't babying something that didn't need it. It shoots just fine now, like I said, the modifications were going to be different sights, flat MSH, extended memory bump grip safety, maybe a different hammer.
Think I'll find a Springfield or something like that to fill the bill.

bac1023
07-31-2011, 14:48
Think I'll find a Springfield or something like that to fill the bill.

Sounds like a good choice.

tango44
07-31-2011, 15:26
Pics please!

ancient_serpent
08-01-2011, 03:56
This is the Colt in question. Not the best picture...http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x357/ancient_serpent_six/IMG_1215.jpg

ancient_serpent
08-01-2011, 03:57
And this is my current EDC, at least when I'm in the US. Perhaps I misspoke, this has been a really great pistol. I've only put about 1500 rounds through it, but haven't had any real problems to speak of. Moving to a pistol without a FLGR is something I'd like to eventually do, but I've not had a reason to do so, aside from others advice. Bac, I believe you have one of these CDPs, if memory serves...
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x357/ancient_serpent_six/IMG_1600.jpg