Lessons of the past generations...share some [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lessons of the past generations...share some

jdavionic
07-30-2011, 16:21
With concerns over the economy and folks enduring some tough times, I was thinking we ought to look toward past generations for ideas.

So here's an example -
Depression era homemade bread from Clara
http://eatathomecooks.com/2009/03/depression-era-homemade-bread.html

Got any lessons that you've learned from the web or passed down through the family?

quake
07-30-2011, 17:36
There's an almost direct correlation between cost and convenience; and buying the way the sheeple do is often the most expensive option. (Listen to Dave Ramsey and you'll hear example after example of this truism.)

When our kids were growing up (and still today), we'd buy popcorn in the 50-lb bag at Sam's instead of the little microwave bags. Basically 35 cents per pound instead of ~$5.00 per lb for the microwave bagged stuff; or one-fifteenth the price. If you just must have the microwave-bag convenience, just toss a couple tablespoons of popcorn into a paper lunch sack and microwave to your heart's content. You have to add your own salt & butter, but at that kind of savings I'm willing.

Also don't be embarrassed to take advantage of special deals. We haven't had to buy toothpaste or shaving cream since 2007, because back then Target had a silly deal going on. You buy two Proctor & Gamble products (from a list) and a multipack of duracell batteries, and you got a ten-dollar target gift card. Well guess what - the multipack of duracells and two tubes of crest (or one crest & one shaving cream, etc; several combinations worked) cost just under $10; so I'd make the purchase and get the free gift card which paid for the next purchase, which got me another gift card which paid for the next purchase, etc... We're still using that toothpaste (and shaving cream, and shampoo and...) now; even after giving a fair amount of it away as well. May be low-brow & silly, but that stack of crest still makes me grin whenever I grab a new tube. :supergrin:

Carry16
07-30-2011, 20:30
This may be too simplistic, but I believe those who are capable of adapting to very lean times have already made preparations and basically know how to do things like make bread, reload ammo, shoot a gun, etc. This is a extremely small segment of our society. I grew up playing board games, cowboys and indians with real cap guns, finding enjoyment out of something that I built from scrap laying around, like an orange crate and old pair of roller skates. The Army taught me how to survive in the wild, although I'm sure they have upgraded their lessons since I was in. I've wiped my ass with scraps of burlap from sandbags in Vietnam, and with leaves for that matter. I believe a high percentage of the participants here will do fine, for the rest I doubt most can make it a week. I'm afraid most of the real survivors from the great depression are no longer here to pass on what they learned. I was born in 1943 and remember being very poor, but the adults dealt with providing for us.

G29Reload
07-30-2011, 20:44
One great saver I figured on my own back in the 80s...maybe it was a neighbor who told me:

I grilled a lot. Charcoal, I have a gas now too, like having both options. But for all the grilling I did, figuring out that lighter fluid in the squirt bottles they sell in the supermarket can just as easily be replaced by...

Wait for it....

K2 kerosene.

Not exactly rocket science, I',m sure, but there was time I didn't know that.

You pay, 2, 3 bucks, whatever...for basically a quart of liter fluid. That's 12 bucks a gallon!

Save a couple of those squirt bottles, especially if you can get the top off and re-fill them. Or just use a mason jar or get a small jerry jug.

So, when you can get $3 worth of lighter fluid for 50c...just sayin. Small tip, but I'll throw that one on the pile.

TangoFoxtrot
07-31-2011, 05:38
There's an almost direct correlation between cost and convenience; and buying the way the sheeple do is often the most expensive option. (Listen to Dave Ramsey and you'll hear example after example of this truism.)

When our kids were growing up (and still today), we'd buy popcorn in the 50-lb bag at Sam's instead of the little microwave bags. Basically 35 cents per pound instead of ~$5.00 per lb for the microwave bagged stuff; or one-fifteenth the price. If you just must have the microwave-bag convenience, just toss a couple tablespoons of popcorn into a paper lunch sack and microwave to your heart's content. You have to add your own salt & butter, but at that kind of savings I'm willing.

Also don't be embarrassed to take advantage of special deals. We haven't had to buy toothpaste or shaving cream since 2007, because back then Target had a silly deal going on. You buy two Proctor & Gamble products (from a list) and a multipack of duracell batteries, and you got a ten-dollar target gift card. Well guess what - the multipack of duracells and two tubes of crest (or one crest & one shaving cream, etc; several combinations worked) cost just under $10; so I'd make the purchase and get the free gift card which paid for the next purchase, which got me another gift card which paid for the next purchase, etc... We're still using that toothpaste (and shaving cream, and shampoo and...) now; even after giving a fair amount of it away as well. May be low-brow & silly, but that stack of crest still makes me grin whenever I grab a new tube. :supergrin:

Quake, You certainly have the right idea. The problem is the younger generation will suffer the most, because they are selfish and self absorbed. They are a generation of instant gratification. I'm thankful my children are grown adults on their own and its just my wife and I. The two of us growng up have endured some of those lean times and has made us thankful of what we have now. If hyper inflation , economic collapse, or 10+% unemployment kick in, the wife and I will be able to adjust easier than the young'ins will. Prep now, or regret it later!

TangoFoxtrot
07-31-2011, 05:43
One great saver I figured on my own back in the 80s...maybe it was a neighbor who told me:

I grilled a lot. Charcoal, I have a gas now too, like having both options. But for all the grilling I did, figuring out that lighter fluid in the squirt bottles they sell in the supermarket can just as easily be replaced by...

Wait for it....

K2 kerosene.

Not exactly rocket science, I',m sure, but there was time I didn't know that.

You pay, 2, 3 bucks, whatever...for basically a quart of liter fluid. That's 12 bucks a gallon!

Save a couple of those squirt bottles, especially if you can get the top off and re-fill them. Or just use a mason jar or get a small jerry jug.

So, when you can get $3 worth of lighter fluid for 50c...just sayin. Small tip, but I'll throw that one on the pile.

Good tip reload! You can also buy one of those small metal firepits and start it up the old fashion way without fluids. I have a grill on mine and it cooks just fine.

quake
07-31-2011, 12:10
...you can get $3 worth of lighter fluid for 50c...just sayin. Small tip, but I'll throw that one on the pile.
Good tip - substitutes in general, for that matter. Kero can also be used in oil lamps and bug killer.

One item I only discovered a handful of years ago is a charcoal chimney; lets you light regular charcoal with just old newspaper, phone book pages, etc, no fuel rquired.
http://a4.bing.com/thumb/get?bid=waOXi54w0ostng&bn=CC&fbid=7wIR63%2bClmj%2b0A&fbn=CC
I didn't know they existed till probably 5-6 years ago, but haven't used fluid since discovering them. Just use newspaper, mail order catalogs, or old phone books that would otherwise be thrown out.

jdavionic
07-31-2011, 12:32
My Mom told me a story during her childhood in WWII. Gas was rationed, along with other items. They lived on a family farm. Her father used an old gas tank to store the gas that he didn't use. They saved it so they could go on trips periodically.

Funny, years later and his grandson (me) has gas cans stored for emergency use.

R_W
08-01-2011, 06:39
For meals, cook half as much meat and triple the sides.

pugman
08-02-2011, 07:59
Things I've noticed

Buy a simple set of tools and use them: I remember when it seemed every guy's dad had a workshop with at the very least a basic set of handtools. I've been in homes where they ask me to do something and when I ask for a flathead I get a butterknife, a hammer gets me a shoe and wirestrippers gets me handed a set of scissors

Learn Basic Car Maintenance: How to change oil or change a tire maybe. If you can follow simple instructions you can do a lot of your own maintenance or repairs. I've seen places that "only" charge $20 in install wiper blades?

jkm
08-03-2011, 13:57
My Dad grew up thru the Depression years. Probably the main thing I learned from him, was that folks back then, didn't waste anything. And most of them spent the rest of their lives being very conservative when it came to wasting anything.
Dad also grew up on a farm. They had everything there. Beef, milk, eggs, pork, chickens, and an orchard. You get the idea.
They damned up the creek so that it would freeze and then they cut ice from it in winter. The ice, stored in a small building and covered with sawdust, lasted until June. Every year crops/ gardens were grown, and vegtables, fruits, meats, etc were canned. I think canning is one of those lost skills in this day and age. Canned goods can feed a family for a loong time, but you don't hear of it much anymore. The only thing I've ever canned is deer meat.
I realize that we all don't live on a farm, or have a huge pice of property, but a lady up the road has a garden that's smaller than my living room, and she cans enough vegtables and jams to last a few months.
I'm gonna plant some fruit trees.

Markasaurus
08-03-2011, 14:58
Things I've noticed

Buy a simple set of tools and use them: I remember when it seemed every guy's dad had a workshop with at the very least a basic set of handtools. I've been in homes where they ask me to do something and when I ask for a flathead I get a butterknife, a hammer gets me a shoe and wirestrippers gets me handed a set of scissors

Learn Basic Car Maintenance: How to change oil or change a tire maybe. If you can follow simple instructions you can do a lot of your own maintenance or repairs. I've seen places that "only" charge $20 in install wiper blades?

I can't do any of the other stuff. If SHTF i think opening a can will be challenging. I have a 35 years of car knowledge and tools if i don't die right away i will barter my skills. Otherwise, i suppose i'm buzzard bait, lol