Your article on Joe Zamudio and Gifford shooting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Your article on Joe Zamudio and Gifford shooting

jack76590
07-30-2011, 21:03
http://www.americanhandgunner.com/the-tucson-atrocity-joe-zamudios-story/

Mas,

As always good article.

After the shooting I posted a thread on GT asking if the 33 rd magazine used was of Glock manufacturer or Korean. From the responses you would have thought I had insulted their mothers.

But I really was interested in what occurred during the shooting. First question was, "Did the glock jam?" and if so why? Then I began thinking about that long mag and potential difficulty of reloading and leverage it provided for someone to take away the Glock from the shooter.

It is indeed ironic if the use of a 33 round magazine, whether of Glock or Korean manufacturer, that the anti gunners immediately wanted to ban, in fact result in fewer people being killed or shot.

Can you provide more detail on this aspect of the incident? Thanks.

Mas Ayoob
07-30-2011, 22:11
Jack, unofficial reports indicate that it was a Glock 33 round magazine, not an aftermarket copy, but I haven't seen the OFFICIAL reports and don't know for sure.

We do know that it was a female senior citizen who ripped it out of Laughner's hand before he could stick it into the pistol and reload. 35 years of intensive handgun retention training and disarming training tell me that the longer instrument is more easily torn from the hand than the shorter instrument. (It's a simple matter of leverage.) This may indeed have been a factor in her being able -- particularly from a physically disadvantaged position -- to rip it away from the young, stronger male perpetrator.

Ironic, isn't it?

BTW, to my knowledge the first person to pick up on this was Gary Slider, one of the guys who runs that useful website www.handgunlaw.us.

Excellent point, thanks for bringing it up here!

best,
Mas

jack76590
07-31-2011, 01:11
Mas,

A lot of brave people were there. And it certainly looks like a jammed glock provided those brave people the opportunity they needed to stop the killer.

Quote from article,

".....He raised up with a Glock in his hand, open, magazine sticking out. In that second I decided that because the gun was open, I didn’t have to shoot him........ There was an empty mag on ground, a full one that mis-fed in the gun, and another full magazine Patricia Maisch got away from him.”

This would seem to indicate killer fired a full 33 round mag, dumped it and inserted another 33 round mag, which promptly jammed. Killer probably had a third full 33 round mag in his non dominate hand that Ms. Maisch took from him.

Killer may have been confused at that point, in addition to people beating on him, he had loaded mag in non dominate hand, and jammed gun in dominate hand, that he could not unjam with one hand.

I am sure this incident will receive a lot of analysis. Thanks for a excellent article, that gets the basic information out before the public.

With hindsight I agree he should have set up an exclusive interview. I would have wanted some control over what was published. I maybe could not have received that control, but I certainly would have reviewed the background of the writer.

And how about an agreement that in payment for the interview x amount is donated by the newspaper in my name to the NRA and this fact is to be contained in the final article. That might flush out some anti gun newspeople.

Jack