fIrefox default search [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : fIrefox default search

shotgunred
07-31-2011, 10:25
I currently have firefox 5.o. When it updated itself last time ask_dot_com became the default search engine. I have tried to restore google with no luck.
I have right clicked on the search bar and switched it that way and I have used about.config. But the next day ask_dot_com is back to my default. Firefox is really starting to piss me off in a Microsoft sort of way.
Anyone have another suggestion?

boomhower
07-31-2011, 10:33
That's user error. You have likely installed a program that installed the ask.com toolbar or had "change my default search to ask.com" option ticked when you installed the program. Unistall firefox completely and reinstall is what I would do.

g29andy
07-31-2011, 10:36
uninstall anything "Ask" related in Add/Remove Programs in your control panel

JimmyN
07-31-2011, 11:56
The search engine preference listed in about:config is for searching from the address line, where you normally type in a URL address.

Since somewhere around version 2 you can type your search phrase right into the address bar and it will use the preference in about:config. Notice the preference name is "keyword.URL" and the value is google.com. It's for keywords typed directly into the URL line.

When you type something into the address line and press enter it will first check to see if it's valid URL, if not it will check your bookmarks for a keyword match, and if it doesn't find anything there it will send the search phrase to Google.

So typing your search into the address line should take you to Google even if the Ask toolbar is installed. I've been using the address line method to search for quite a few years, since it will first check my bookmarks for an entry which is faster than looking in bookmarks, and failing that will send it to Google.