On the fence about a Coonan .357? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : On the fence about a Coonan .357?

jrs93accord
07-31-2011, 15:23
Guys,

If you are on the fence about buying a Coonan .357MAG, I am here to tell you that it is one of the finest shooting 1911 type pistols you can buy. I took mine to the range for the first time this afternoon. Man, was I pleased. For a .357MAG, it was very smooth. Recoil was maybe a tad more than a .45ACP 1911. The grip is large, but that was not an issue for my hands. The prices are a little steep, but it is well worth the money.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2011/001-25.jpg

Check one out. You will not be sorry.

bac1023
07-31-2011, 15:25
Yeah, I love the Coonan. Sounds like you had a good time, James.

jrs93accord
07-31-2011, 16:32
Yeah, I love the Coonan. Sounds like you had a good time, James.

It was a BLAST. :supergrin:

limbkiller
07-31-2011, 16:52
I'm jealous!!!

scooterhoohoos
07-31-2011, 18:01

You've got that right. I told one of my friends the exact same thing after I shot mine the first time. :rofl:

CMG
07-31-2011, 18:22
Sounds like Coonan has a new #1 fan! :cool:

I haven't owned or shot one since the late 80s but I do remember the flash and blast!

A friend of mine back then had a Grizzly in .45 Win Mag, and that was even more fun!

Unfortunately, my short fingers did NOT get along well with the elongated grip frames!

In fact, the Para frame I built up back then (when they only made frames) had no grip panels, only skate-board tape that wrapped around the front and covered both sides. :supergrin:

djackson
07-31-2011, 18:25
I have never had the opportunity to see or handle a Coonan but would certainly like the chance to

Sarge43
07-31-2011, 18:25
Another satisfied shooter! I love my Coonan Classics. I was very surprised at how little recoil there was in them, as I was used to putting .357 mag rounds through a revolver. Very nice to shoot!
If the grip frame is big for some, just throw some slim grips on there.
Glad you like yours, and thanks for the pics!
Sarge

jrs93accord
07-31-2011, 18:32
Sounds like Coonan has a new #1 fan! :cool:

I haven't owned or shot one since the late 80s but I do remember the flash and blast!

A friend of mine back then had a Grizzly in .45 Win Mag, and that was even more fun!

Unfortunately, my short fingers did NOT get along well with the elongated grip frames!

In fact, the Para frame I built up back then (when they only made frames) had no grip panels, only skate-board tape that wrapped around the front and covered both sides. :supergrin:

I first saw the Coonan on the cover of a magazine back in the mid-80's. It was a big stainless pistol that shot a .357MAG cartidge. That impressed the hell out of me. At the time, and for many years to follow, I could not afford one. This year, I decided it was time to find an early production model. I did not want a new one. The one I have, according to Dan Coonan, was made sometime in the late 80's to early 90's. He was not exactly sure since they no longer had records of the guns that were made prior to them going out of business several years ago. They do have a database for all of the new Coonans.

jrs93accord
07-31-2011, 18:35
I have never had the opportunity to see or handle a Coonan but would certainly like the chance to

If you ever do get the chance to handle one, jump on it. I let a guy next to me at the range shoot mine today. I shot the first magazine through it and he shot the second one. He was astounded as to how well it shot. It brought a smile to his face. He too had never seen or heard of one until today.

glock2740
07-31-2011, 19:14
Ditto.

bac1023
07-31-2011, 19:18

:thumbsup:

bac1023
07-31-2011, 19:18
Ditto.

You certainly need one, Joe.

CMG
07-31-2011, 19:54
I first saw the Coonan on the cover of a magazine back in the mid-80's. It was a big stainless pistol that shot a .357MAG cartidge. That impressed the hell out of me. At the time, and for many years to follow, I could not afford one. This year, I decided it was time to find an early production model. I did not want a new one. The one I have, according to Dan Coonan, was made sometime in the late 80's to early 90's. He was not exactly sure since they no longer had records of the guns that were made prior to them going out of business several years ago. They do have a database for all of the new Coonans.

I bought mine used, while working behind the counter at the local shop. Guy comes in and wants to sell. The store owner wasn't interested so I bought it at a really good price (sorry don't remember the actual amount).

I only shot it a few times, but it was memorable. I sold it not long after and made a decent profit as I recall.

Ganesh
08-13-2011, 21:30
Always liked the look of the Coonan....Back in the 80s,(I was in highschool, young wipper snapper, I know, I know) I dreamed of owning one. Then they went out of business. Now that I see they are back, I think I'll have to save up my pennies fer one.

On their website, they have an advertisement that says......Looking for your first pistol?....This is not it!

That seems catchy, hehe. And Id certainly love to find someone in the Bradenton FL. area to try one out. But as my daily carry is a S&W 340 M&P in .357 I dont think the word recoil will even be in my vocabulary. And yes, I do shoot that little beast regularly. Not as much as my others. Each session gets at least one box each of .38, .38+p and .357. Let me tell ya, one session every other week or so is all you can stand outta that beast.

So a big brother Coonan in the same caliber sounds like the perfect set up for me, hehe.

Oh, and Im glad yer likin yer new "baby". Keep us up to date on her.

dnuggett
08-13-2011, 21:43
Congrats! I remember you telling us you had one on the way.

Steel Head
08-13-2011, 22:00
Guys,

If you are on the fence about buying a Coonan .357MAG, I am here to tell you that it is one of the finest shooting 1911 type pistols you can buy. I took mine to the range for the first time this afternoon. Man, was I pleased. For a .357MAG, it was very smooth. Recoil was maybe a tad more than a .45ACP 1911. The grip is large, but that was not an issue for my hands. The prices are a little steep, but it is well worth the money.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2011/001-25.jpg

Check one out. You will not be sorry.
:wow:
SOO BEAUTIFUL

bac1023
08-13-2011, 22:02
I love the Coonan. :supergrin:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/115.jpg