DUH! moment w/ the 650 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DUH! moment w/ the 650

fredj338
07-31-2011, 17:38
SOmething that any progressive owner should do before starting your loading session. Check all the screws & die sets & make sure they are snug. I just dotted off 300rds of 45acp & when I went to box them, noticed the crimp wasn't right. At some point the crimp die had backed out & I had to recrimp 300rds, PITA. Add that to the occasional SP brass, a frustrating 45min of reloading.
Another tip for the guys using a progressive w/ the 45acp & those pesky SP cases that sneek by inspection. Keep a few sized/deprimed cases on the bench. When you feel the primer not go in, remove the offending case & replace w/ the already deprimed case. With an auto indexing press, it won't mess you up or get you out of sequence. Did I mention how much I hate SP 45acp brass?:rant:

n2extrm
07-31-2011, 17:44
Good idea on the sized brass ready to go, I am going to have to do that. Stupid small pistol primed no good..............

Fire_Medic
07-31-2011, 17:46
A bad day reloading is better than a good day at work..... :wavey:

fredj338
07-31-2011, 17:49
A bad day reloading is better than a good day at work..... :wavey:

SO true! I can adjust for reloading issues far easire than work issues. Reloading & bulelt casting is supposed to be like therapy for me though, so it's not as much fun when it goes wrong.:crying:

Fire_Medic
07-31-2011, 17:52
SO true! I can adjust for reloading issues far easire than work issues. Reloading & bulelt casting is supposed to be like therapy for me though, so it's not as much fun when it goes wrong.:crying:

Oh I know, just reminding you of the bright side you weren't looking at :cheers:

Colorado4Wheel
07-31-2011, 19:01
200+ rds of 9mm ammo loaded on my 650.
About 1000 bullets cast.
Sized most of them.

Nice day.

ursoboostd
07-31-2011, 19:14
I spent ammo today instead of loading it, but I'm gonna load 1K rds of 223 tomorrow. -Wade-

Boxerglocker
08-01-2011, 00:05
I take a little key from my aircraft maintenance backround and put a little stripe of inspectors torque laquer on the lock rings of my dies after they are set.
http://www.browntool.com/Portals/1/Catalog%20Images/101%20to%20125/TQS.jpg
You can tell at a glance if they have moved if the laquer is disturbed.

fredj338
08-01-2011, 09:11
I take a little key from my aircraft maintenance backround and put a little stripe of inspectors torque laquer on the lock rings of my dies after they are set.

Oh I like that idea. An instant visual check.

unclebob
08-01-2011, 09:45
On the powder measure replace the Bellcrank keep nut. With a Teflon locking nut. On the dies, instead of using a wrench. Get a deep well socket. Since I changed the Teflon locking nut and using the deep well socket I have not had a nut come loose.

unclebob
08-01-2011, 09:46
Where can you get those?

Boxerglocker
08-01-2011, 11:29
Where can you get those?

Being in Florida, just look if your local General Aviation airport has a pilot/owner shop.... they usually carry tubes for $4 each.

ron59
08-01-2011, 11:30
On the powder measure replace the Bellcrank keep nut. With a Teflon locking nut. On the dies, instead of using a wrench. Get a deep well socket. Since I changed the Teflon locking nut and using the deep well socket I have not had a nut come loose.

Being an ex-Harley tech, I have lots of tools. I use a "shorty" 1" wrench. But I don't use the open end, I use the box end. It works great too. I think it will have slightly less chance to slip off than a socket might, that nut isn't very tall. You can get one at Sears for $18 or so I think, don't have to buy the whole set. With the Dillon dies that have the clip holding the body in the die, I drop the body out to loosen/tighten.

unclebob
08-01-2011, 12:07
Being an ex-Harley tech, I have lots of tools. I use a "shorty" 1" wrench. But I don't use the open end, I use the box end. It works great too. I think it will have slightly less chance to slip off than a socket might, that nut isn't very tall. You can get one at Sears for $18 or so I think, don't have to buy the whole set. With the Dillon dies that have the clip holding the body in the die, I drop the body out to loosen/tighten.

Been using the deep well socket for years no sliping off.

norton
08-01-2011, 12:12
200+ rds of 9mm ammo loaded on my 650.
About 1000 bullets cast.
Sized most of them.

Nice day.

I cast about 400 bullets Saturday (.38 and .45Colt). Guess I'm not as fast as you.
Also spent a couple of hours shooting.

fredj338
08-01-2011, 12:52
In general, keep the nuts & bolts snug on your progressive. I have had other things work loose & things start running poorly. So check occasionally or before every session if you are a bit anal. The powder measure gets checked often, so I don't worry about it coming loose.

G36pilot
08-03-2011, 07:40
Non-transparent nail polish will also work instead of torque lacquer.