XP reinstall [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XP reinstall

MB_G19
07-31-2011, 20:48
Still using XP on several machines. This one is a few years old Dell, 530 w/quad core 6600, 4gb ram 500gb partitioned 75gb then 425(drive c & d), 640gb second hd(drive e). NVidia GeForce 8800 GT card. Picked up a virus via an email from a friend, oops, wiped partition C, format then reinstall XP pro, sp3. Originally the task bar would stay behind the loaded program. Not on top and not hidden, just stayed on the bottom, behind main loaded program. 2 other computers still do that.

But this one has defaulted to the task bar being on top, even though it is not checked in the task bar properties, auto hide is not checked either. Once a program loads, Word for example, if I right click the task bar, select properties and just click ok, task bar goes away and from then on, the task bar will remain at the bottom, but any program loaded will appear over the task bar. Task bar not hidden and not staying on top but behind program window.

Just for the heck of it, I wiped drive C again and installed, same thing. Never had this happen even though I have installed XP many, many times.

Ideas as to why it has changed the default without being checked in the properties box?

Thanks

Ogreon
08-02-2011, 18:57
Have you tried clicking the boxes, even though they're not checked. I've seen some instances of semi-checked boxes.

The box wasn't completely empty. If I clicked on the box it would go to completely empty. If I clicked on it again it would go to completely full. I was never able to intentionally replicate the original state of the box.

MB_G19
08-02-2011, 20:29
Have you tried clicking the boxes, even though they're not checked. I've seen some instances of semi-checked boxes.

The box wasn't completely empty. If I clicked on the box it would go to completely empty. If I clicked on it again it would go to completely full. I was never able to intentionally replicate the original state of the box.

Yes tried that. Clicked and then applied, tried rebooting afterward and still does it. Tried turning it on, reboot, no change, turning it back off, tried Auto hide, reboot, no difference. What has me stumped, is that I have installed XP on this computer, format the drive, reinstalled from the same XP disk with no problem, this is the first time it's happened. Even after I formatted and reinstalled again it still does it. Can find nothing on line, usually there is something that gives a clue. Thanks

Ogreon
08-02-2011, 22:52
Since you mentioned a C: partition, I'm wondering if you've still got some effects from the infection lingering on another partition.

You might want to download and play with PowerToys from the MS site (assuming you haven't tried it). The additional configuration options might prove useful.