One of my GHBs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : One of my GHBs

ancient_serpent
08-01-2011, 04:33
I've been meaning to post up a picture of one of my GHBs for a while, so here it is. It contains:
-medical shears
-2 Israeli bandages
-1 abdominal bandage
-3 types of clotting agent
-2 tourniquets
-2 Ascherman chest seals
-1 nasalpharengeal tube
-2 rolls medical tape
-small bottle Advil
-tube of chapstick
-1 pair latex gloves
-3 AR mags
-2 Glock mags
-1 Surefire combat light
-4 loose 123 batteries, 6 more in a spares carrier
-surefire helmet mount light
-signal beacon
-wrist mount Garmin GPS
-ESS glasses set
-2 small zip ties
-benchmade folder
-Gerber multitool
-Swiss Army knife
-1 pair Oakley gloves
-shamough
-1 pair surefire hearing protection
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x357/ancient_serpent_six/IMG_1679.jpg

RichJ
08-01-2011, 08:47
The GHB is nice. The bedspread is hideous though.

Unistat
08-01-2011, 08:51
If you are intrerested in a critique, I'll give it a go. If not, please ignore my post and I mean no offense.

-medical shears
-2 Israeli bandages
-1 abdominal bandage
-2 tourniquets
-2 Ascherman chest seals
-1 nasalpharengeal tube
-2 rolls medical tape
-small bottle Advil
-tube of chapstick
-1 pair latex gloves

A good blow out/emergency med kit. Do you have hands on training on how to use the chest seal and airway tube? I would hesitate to include them without the knowledge of how to use them.
Somethings to think about adding are: Aspirin (heart attacks), Super-glue (small cut sealer), sunblock, a triangle bandage (multi-use sling and bandage), and a Sam Splint. I'd also throw in a couple more pair of gloves and make them nitrile instead of latex.

-3 AR mags
-2 Glock mags
-1 Surefire combat light
-4 loose 123 batteries, 6 more in a spares carrier
-surefire helmet mount light
-signal beacon
-wrist mount Garmin GPS

I'm guessing that the 10 batteries are to power the lights, beacon, and the GPS? It seems like a lot, but they are small so I guess it's no big deal. Think about non-electronic back-ups. I would add a compass and a paper map(s) of your area.

-ESS glasses set
-2 small zip ties
-benchmade folder
-Gerber multitool
-Swiss Army knife
-1 pair Oakley gloves
-shamough
-1 pair surefire hearing protection
I don't know how far you routinely travel from your home but if it is more than 10 miles or so I'd think about adding some kind of food bars and water. The food bars don't take up a lot of room and if it's going to take a half a day or more for you to get home they can really help keep your stamina and morale up. This is especially true if you are going to be traveling in an Escape and Evasion style as it seems you are planning. E&E takes longer and uses more energy than simply trekking along a sidewalk. Water is bulky and heavy, but a couple of bottles or a Camelback-type system can supply you with what you need initially and hopefully you can find other sources along the way.

Just my thoughts. It's clear that you want to keep it light so every thing I suggested was with that in mind.

Dexters
08-01-2011, 09:22
The GHB is nice. The bedspread is hideous though.
+1

Food, water, hat, moleskin, rain gear, toiletries

What do you normally wear? If a suit and tie you might have to add walking shoes and other clothing.

ancient_serpent
08-01-2011, 11:05
If you are intrerested in a critique, I'll give it a go. If not, please ignore my post and I mean no offense.

By all means, I always appreciate a second opinion.

A good blow out/emergency med kit. Do you have hands on training on how to use the chest seal and airway tube? I would hesitate to include them without the knowledge of how to use them.
Somethings to think about adding are: Aspirin (heart attacks), Super-glue (small cut sealer), sunblock, a triangle bandage (multi-use sling and bandage), and a Sam Splint. I'd also throw in a couple more pair of gloves and make them nitrile instead of latex.

Yes, I'm trained to use all of the things in my bag, and a little more. The asprin isn't a bad idea, will definately get a bottle. Should be easy enough to do.

I'm guessing that the 10 batteries are to power the lights, beacon, and the GPS? It seems like a lot, but they are small so I guess it's no big deal. Think about non-electronic back-ups. I would add a compass and a paper map(s) of your area.

I do have maps for the bag, I'm afraid I didn't include them in the photo or listing. I used to carry a Nexus compass in this bag; it's now in one of my other, two GHBs back in the States.

I don't know how far you routinely travel from your home but if it is more than 10 miles or so I'd think about adding some kind of food bars and water. The food bars don't take up a lot of room and if it's going to take a half a day or more for you to get home they can really help keep your stamina and morale up. This is especially true if you are going to be traveling in an Escape and Evasion style as it seems you are planning. E&E takes longer and uses more energy than simply trekking along a sidewalk. Water is bulky and heavy, but a couple of bottles or a Camelback-type system can supply you with what you need initially and hopefully you can find other sources along the way.

I do keep food bars and water in my other (actually one other is mine, the other my wifes) GHBs, got that covered here in another way.

Just my thoughts. It's clear that you want to keep it light so every thing I suggested was with that in mind.

Thanks for the ideas, like I said, I appreciate a good critique. I'll put up pics of my other bag(s) later on.
Dexters, good points, but my normal work clothing is well suited to travel. Hat and walking shoes are covered. Now, I do have those very items in my BOB back at my house.

The bedspread is an issued one. I'm afraid there isn't much helping that unfortunate thing...is rather eye wrenching, isn't it?

gotplastic
08-01-2011, 18:40
Where are you trying to get home from, Beirut ? Seriously, how many miles from work or your likely starting point ? It's not very likely we'll go from a normal work day to a combat situation. I'd suggest just a handgun that you can conceal and focus more on water, food, emergency shelter, and basic med kit. If you dont think so, then try it. Strap all that gear on, sling the AR over your shoulder, and try walking 20 miles home in the middle of a weekday.

TangoFoxtrot
08-02-2011, 02:19
Where are you trying to get home from, Beirut ? Seriously, how many miles from work or your likely starting point ? It's not very likely we'll go from a normal work day to a combat situation. I'd suggest just a handgun that you can conceal and focus more on water, food, emergency shelter, and basic med kit. If you dont think so, then try it. Strap all that gear on, sling the AR over your shoulder, and try walking 20 miles home in the middle of a weekday.

It depends on the hood he works in or has to travel through. I work at a government facility in the middle of one of the worst ghettos in the city.:whistling:

ancient_serpent
08-02-2011, 08:17
Believe me when I say that this bag, particularly the ammo is appropriate for the area in which I work. I really don't need the shelter or food. A handgun alone isn't the tool of choice, either.
Like I said above, I'll post up pics of my normal GHBs when I do get home.

Bolster
08-02-2011, 18:37
Can you tell me what the weight of your GHB is, in its dry state (no water)?

I assume you'll throw in as much water as you can carry at the last minute.

EDIT: Looks almost like some posts have been deleted here. Your OP is actually incomplete, I can see more of the list in a follow-up post later...?

TangoFoxtrot
08-03-2011, 02:49
This is what I keep in my GHB, maybe it will help you stock yours. I do change the contents depending on season.

Glucose tablets for my wifes sugar.
Deet for the bugs
Trauma kit
My meds. Extra 30 day supply
Good quality first aid kit
T-Paper and wet wipes
Sunblock SPF 30
1 pair of extra underwear and socks
Protein liquid drink and energy bars
50 oz water bladder
Pulsoc meter
Pens, marker, pads
Compass, GPS, and local Topo maps
Duel-band UHF w-t UHF radio
Multi-tool, Columbia River tanto knife, and wire cutters
Onocular
pry-bar
water-purifier tabs/filter
Bandana
Signal mirror
Whistle
petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls
magnifying glass (small one for fire making)
WD-40 lube pen and 1oz of Miltec oil
50 ft of cordage with carbiners
Solar blanket and 12'x12' plastic sheet
UST Strikeforce, bic lighter, magnifier glass with pyro gel.
Ranger survival pak (various small items)
LED flashlights (2) with extra batteries
Solar charger
One hundred dollars in small bills
Extra pre-paid cell phone with charger
2 spare mags for my Glock pistol

In a separate bag in my vehicle I keep an extra set of clothes, hiking shoes and a case of bottled water. <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

ancient_serpent
08-03-2011, 08:10
It's about 8 pounds dry. Commo and other equipment is in another location for this particular setup. Um, I don't think I left out much, if anything that is currently in that bag from my original post. If you're refering to my other bags, I 'll have to wait till I'm back stateside to post those up.

Bolster
08-04-2011, 08:47
This is what I keep in my GHB, ...

Darned impressive GHB. What exactly is a trauma kit as opposed to a FA kit?

The other thing I notice is you have a reasonable amount of liquid items.
- deet
- sunblock
- liquid protein
- oil
- pyro gel
- water of course
Do you store them separately? I'm paranoid of my liquids leaking so don't store them inside my GHB...I store them outside my bag, in double plastic bags, and must insert them at bail time (it's on the master list of things to do when the fan spins...I don't trust myself to be thinking rationally so I have a "master to do" list upon bailing...)

I like the idea of keeping water and clothes separate in the car, to be added as needed as you bail out.

TangoFoxtrot
08-06-2011, 05:37
Darned impressive GHB. What exactly is a trauma kit as opposed to a FA kit?

The other thing I notice is you have a reasonable amount of liquid items.
- deet
- sunblock
- liquid protein
- oil
- pyro gel
- water of course
Do you store them separately? I'm paranoid of my liquids leaking so don't store them inside my GHB...I store them outside my bag, in double plastic bags, and must insert them at bail time (it's on the master list of things to do when the fan spins...I don't trust myself to be thinking rationally so I have a "master to do" list upon bailing...)

I like the idea of keeping water and clothes separate in the car, to be added as needed as you bail out.

The trauma kit deals more with major bleeding wounds, sucking chest injuries , 3rd degree burns and so on. I think FA kits are more general kits.

The liquids are no problem with leaking. It all depends on the containers you use and how they are packed along with the type bag is used.

As far as the expense of my GHB? Well you get what you pay for. You wouldn't believe what my field pack costs. You can only do what you can afford. Fortunitly I can buy the best and do it right. I feel when it comes to survival I want the best setup and equipment I can obtain.

mac66
08-08-2011, 08:21
I backpacked for a week with less than half that stuff. Just add food and water.

I don't get the fascination with all the knives. When I go out, I have a small multitool OR a swiss army knife OR some kind of small pocket knife but not all of them. I get the EMT scissors, my son is an EMT, but you got some heavy duty trauma stuff there which is probably unnecessary in most cases.

Ok, i just noticed you are overseas. You probably need those things where you are.

nmasi
08-08-2011, 11:32
-medical shears

-2 Israeli bandages
gauze and kerlix is better, multiple use items are greater than focused devices

-1 abdominal bandage

pick one and stick with it. learn its characteristics and get familiar with how hot it gets, what it is like after it aborbs and clots, what to clean it up with
-2 tourniquets
2 is overkill, i carry one on my ambulance

-2 Ascherman chest seals
stick with petroleum gauze and tape, again, multiple use items are greater than focused devices

-1 nasalpharengeal tube
dont bother, this is a get home/away kit right? a nasal adjunct is pointless without the means to ventilate. if its bad enough to need to secure an airway, they probably cant maintain respirations. and if they can, they are too awake to put up with a tube in their nose.

-2 rolls medical tape
transpore tape is good, but its stickability is crap and its not waterproof. use it where you need breathability, but otherwise, duct tape is your friend, use the easy-tear stuff

-small bottle Advil

-tube of chapstick

-1 pair latex gloves
more than 1 pair, they get nasty quick and once u start working with them on, they fill with sweat and when your hands are wet, u cant put more on easily. put on 2 pairs at the same time

Asprin for the sake of heart attacks is pointless unless you are getting to a hospital with a cath lab, keep it solely for pain relief

ancient_serpent
08-08-2011, 19:53
-medical shears

-2 Israeli bandages
gauze and kerlix is better, multiple use items are greater than focused devices

When dealing with multiple penetrating wounds in a timely manner, I've found the Israeli bandages are quicker to get on, and simpler to make sure they stay on through movement. FWIW I keep Kerlix in another bag close at hand.

-1 abdominal bandage

pick one and stick with it. learn its characteristics and get familiar with how hot it gets, what it is like after it aborbs and clots, what to clean it up with

I see your point, but I don't do any of the clean up. Not my lane, all I care about is stopping the bleeding as quick as possible. THe ones I chose are bagged versions, less likely to get blown around or in my eyes.

-2 tourniquets
2 is overkill, i carry one on my ambulance

Multiple amputations are a consideration where I am. 2 is a minumum here.

-2 Ascherman chest seals
stick with petroleum gauze and tape, again, multiple use items are greater than focused devices

Again, ease of use issue. Tape is one more thing I would rather not spend time messing with unless I have no choice.

-1 nasalpharengeal tube
dont bother, this is a get home/away kit right? a nasal adjunct is pointless without the means to ventilate. if its bad enough to need to secure an airway, they probably cant maintain respirations. and if they can, they are too awake to put up with a tube in their nose.

Crush facial traume is a very real possibility I have dealt with before. The means to ventilate is taken care of from another angle.

-2 rolls medical tape
transpore tape is good, but its stickability is crap and its not waterproof. use it where you need breathability, but otherwise, duct tape is your friend, use the easy-tear stuff

Agreed, the thin medical tape isn't the best stuff. I stick (pun intended) with it because it's free and small enough to fit my kit.

-small bottle Advil

-tube of chapstick

-1 pair latex gloves
more than 1 pair, they get nasty quick and once u start working with them on, they fill with sweat and when your hands are wet, u cant put more on easily. put on 2 pairs at the same time

I do need to get another set of three for that bag. Keep meaning to, need to get that taken care of.

Asprin for the sake of heart attacks is pointless unless you are getting to a hospital with a cath lab, keep it solely for pain relief

Going to post a pic of one of my smaller bags at home as soon as I can find my camera connection cable...

nmasi
08-08-2011, 21:34
I lose those dumb cables all the darn time