Worth looking at [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Worth looking at

allrad
08-01-2011, 07:39
-----

lsbbigdog
08-01-2011, 11:12
Pretty cool setup. The biggest complaints I hear about 1911 is people are afraid to carry in cond 1 . Why I don't know but this might make those people more at easy carrying a 1911

JohnJak
08-01-2011, 11:26
Bill's system has been out for awhile. You will find that 1911 purest will resent this idea. I find it rather useful in todays world.

drc767
08-01-2011, 11:45
Just something else to fail in that "fatal moment". If you are uncomfortable carrying C1 with a 1911, you probably shouldn't be carrying a 1911. And installing one of these to make somebody else feel more comfortable should they see my concealed carry 1911 with the hammer back is the least of my concerns. This is the equivalent of installing a manual safety on a Glock.....It is a "gimmick" product that, unfortunately, will probably have many customers.

CMG
08-01-2011, 11:59
Just something else to fail in that "fatal moment". If you are uncomfortable carrying C1 with a 1911, you probably shouldn't be carrying a 1911. And installing one of these to make somebody else feel more comfortable should they see my concealed carry 1911 with the hammer back is the least of my concerns. This is the equivalent of installing a manual safety on a Glock.....It is a "gimmick" product that, unfortunately, will probably have many customers.

:agree:

Ranger325
08-01-2011, 12:19
It seems to be the greatest solution for the "cocked and locked" condition.

Sorry, but I think solutions are for problems, and I don't see one here. First time I've been called a 'purest'....................

Regards,

lsbbigdog
08-01-2011, 13:16

I agree . If they are that concerned they should be carrying another weapon.

Nakanokalronin
08-01-2011, 13:24
It seems to be the greatest solution for the "cocked and locked" condition.Is there a problem with C'd & L'd? :dunno:............;)

ETA: Just thought I'd mention a little tid bit long ago. I remember when I got my second handgun, a SA Mil-Spec 1911 and read of all the fears of C'd & L'd carry. I thought okay, I'll leave my 1911 with an empty chamber, cocked back with the safety off and carry it that way as much as I can and see if the hammer drops on its own. Well to make a long story short, the hammer never dropped. I would even purposely bang the holster into counter-tops and door ways to see if it could be jarred enough to "fire". Nothing ever happened.

One thing I don't think some people realize is a commander hammer is actually protected by a beaver-tail from getting hit if the 1911 is dropped on it's back. Most of them are cupped inside the BT and almost all of them are shorter than the BT when cocked back.

MY LGS has a BHP with the SFS system installed and I found it odd at best.

In reality, its a mental thing. I've found plenty of people afraid of 1911 C'd and L'd carry that have no problem with a fully loaded/chambered Glock. I believe people associate the hammer of a 1911/BHP with the hammer of a revolver.

fnfalman
08-01-2011, 13:45
Is this system similar to the FN or Daewoo system where the gun is on SA but the hammer is forward?

polizei1
08-01-2011, 17:30
Ha, how dumb. Those who are afraid of an exposed hammer are just silly. Most of the time it's the same people who carry a glock or some other striker-fired gun with NO safety's at all, besides those "action safeties."

lsbbigdog
08-01-2011, 18:11
Ha, how dumb. Those who are afraid of an exposed hammer are just silly. Most of the time it's the same people who carry a glock or some other striker-fired gun with NO safety's at all, besides those "action safeties."

I like the ones that carry without one in the chamber even better.

HotRoderX
08-01-2011, 18:16
The biggest complaints I hear about 1911 is people are afraid to carry in cond 1 . Why I don't know but this might make those people more at easy carrying a 1911

I dont see how people can feel unsafe with a 1911 in condition 1. To me the only thing safer is a double action revolver.

I don't see how people carry a Glock with one in the chamber. Sorry but I need a external safety I can snap on or off to feel comfortable with. When it comes to gun safety I want something I can physically feel. I don't want something that I hope works.

faawrenchbndr
08-01-2011, 18:17
Why the hell should I be concerned if someone sees my weapon with the hammer cocked?

C&S makes some great parts,......these are just not for me.

lsbbigdog
08-01-2011, 18:34
I dont see how people can feel unsafe with a 1911 in condition 1. To me the only thing safer is a double action revolver.

It's mostly newbs that I hear these comments from. I think just the look of a cocked hammer makes them nervious . Once the understand the way the safety features work they seem more at eased .

I don't see how people carry a Glock with one in the chamber. Sorry but I need a external safety I can snap on or off to feel comfortable with. When it comes to gun safety I want something I can physically feel. I don't want something that I hope works.

I always carry one in the chamber in my Glocks. The only way they go boom if you squeeze the trigger or shoot .40sw:whistling:

I know thats been a debate for a while with LEO's . Some feel it's safe to have external safety if an assailant tries to unarm an officer and the perp not knowing about the safety feature can buy the cop time .Some argue they don't want to be hampered buy disengaging a safety if the weapon is drawn. I believe Massad Ayoob did an article on this in one of the magazines.

bac1023
08-01-2011, 18:55
Just something else to fail in that "fatal moment". If you are uncomfortable carrying C1 with a 1911, you probably shouldn't be carrying a 1911.

I agree with Dave 100%.

rvrctyrngr
08-01-2011, 19:09
I'll tell you all from experience that the SFS system is dangerous! I bought a pair of FN HiPowers that had it (couldn't pass up the deal).

I took one through a defensive pistol class and found out that drawing at speed from the holster, it is possible to jam the mechanism in such a way that it locks up the entire gun. I had to manually re-cock the hammer to clear it. Once? Okay, a fluke. It happened a minimum of 5 times. I had to get another HiPower out of my bag to do the rest of the class.

Sent the thing to Wayne and asked him to rebuild it completely. Now I have another great shooter that is actually my favorite HiPower. Kudos to Wayne.

Stay away from the SFS (on a carry gun, any way).

40 0'Glock
08-01-2011, 19:22
I'll stick with Cocked and Locked for 1911s, as intended. For hammer-down carry there are plenty of other excellent pistol options out there.

tango44
08-02-2011, 16:33
That is not new I remember seen a Colt with that kit called triple action I guess!

bladeandbarrel
08-02-2011, 21:19
I'll tell you all from experience that the SFS system is dangerous! I bought a pair of FN HiPowers that had it (couldn't pass up the deal).

I took one through a defensive pistol class and found out that drawing at speed from the holster, it is possible to jam the mechanism in such a way that it locks up the entire gun. I had to manually re-cock the hammer to clear it. Once? Okay, a fluke. It happened a minimum of 5 times. I had to get another HiPower out of my bag to do the rest of the class.

Sent the thing to Wayne and asked him to rebuild it completely. Now I have another great shooter that is actually my favorite HiPower. Kudos to Wayne.

Stay away from the SFS (on a carry gun, any way).

yes, if you are pulling the trigger while dropping the safety I believe this dumb system goes **** up.

rvrctyrngr
08-03-2011, 08:19
yes, if you are pulling the trigger while dropping the safety I believe this dumb system goes **** up.

That's pretty much what was happening. Pushing for speed, I was getting on the trigger before the system had fully re-cocked the hammer...it's not exactly an instantaneous process...and everything went Tango Uniform.

Not an issue with a 'standard' configuration, obviously.

faawrenchbndr
08-03-2011, 08:37
Should be deleted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by allrad; Today at 09:32.. Reason: shouldn't have been sent

What's up with this?:dunno:
Start a thread, then delete it? Are you cross because many feel it's an un-needed mod?

bac1023
08-03-2011, 08:43
What's up with this?:dunno:
Start a thread, then delete it? Are you cross because many feel it's an un-needed mod?

I don't get it either, Greg.

I guess we get some real thin-skinned people here from time to time. :dunno:

bac1023
08-03-2011, 08:47
Since the OP is done with this thread, does anyone else just drool over C&S's reproduction?

What a beautiful 1911. I remember looking at these pics a while back. :wow:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/reproduction.shtml

lawdog734
08-03-2011, 08:59
Since the OP is done with this thread, does anyone else just drool over C&S's reproduction?

Not only that but I still drool over the no fail finish Trident. I would love to have both guns. And since we are hijacking this thread have you shot that ithica yet? I have been looking at those as well.

fnfalman
08-03-2011, 09:06
Maybe the OP is connected with C&L somehow? Maybe they're cruisin' for feedback?

faawrenchbndr
08-03-2011, 09:11
I don't get it either, Greg.

I guess we get some real thin-skinned people here from time to time. :dunno:

May be possible

Yep,......drooled over that, outstanding work!

Maybe the OP is connected with C&L somehow? Maybe they're cruisin' for feedback?

Could be possible, but I doubt it.

TKR Reptiles
08-03-2011, 09:58

That thing is sick nasty!!!

bac1023
08-03-2011, 11:48

Sure is...

faawrenchbndr
08-03-2011, 12:24

That's an under statement,......it's Wicked sick nasty!!!