Keyboard Lag [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Lag

happyguy
08-01-2011, 08:59
1: I am a dumb end user when it comes to computers but here goes anyhow. :supergrin:

I just got an old Dell Optiplex 960 3 gigahertz dual core, 2 meg, 80 gig hard drive. It was given to me for free. The hard drive was dead.

I replaced the hard drive added 2 meg of ram and installed Windows 7. Well it turns out that when typing at a blazing 35 - 45 wpm I would easily outrun the screen by two or three characters. Windows and menus opened very lazily.

Went online and read that an outdated BIOS can sometimes cause these problems. Went to the Dell website and checked for BIOS updates. It seems the BIOS in the computer was A03 and the latest revision was A11:wow:.

Updated the BIOS and it's like having a new computer. Seriously, the difference is so dramatic that words seem inadequate.

I have also been having this problem with another older computer and I think I'll check which BIOS revision it is running as well.

2: I am still a dumb end user when it comes to computers, but now I'm wearing a smug smile and tootin' my own horn. :supergrin:

Regards,
Happyguy :)

CitizenOfDreams
08-01-2011, 09:38
That's not very common for the BIOS to cause drastic problems like that, but I'm glad it helped.

happyguy
08-01-2011, 09:48
That's not very common for the BIOS to cause drastic problems like that, but I'm glad it helped.

Just lucky to fix it on the first try I guess. Maybe I'll go buy a lottery ticket today. :wavey:

Regards,

mhunter
08-01-2011, 21:16
I hope those were GIGS of RAM you added. :supergrin:

happyguy
08-02-2011, 05:16
I hope those were GIGS of RAM you added. :supergrin:

I guess my age is showing.:embarassed:

Regards,

Ogreon
08-02-2011, 18:47
Just lucky to fix it on the first try I guess. Maybe I'll go buy a lottery ticket today. :wavey:

Regards,

You should have bought the lottery ticket first. You've already used all your luck up.