S&W Gunsite 1911PD ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&W Gunsite 1911PD ?

HKLovingIT
08-01-2011, 10:57
Anyone own one of these? What are your thoughts. I know the front slide serrations are a turn off to some. Wondering about the mechanical, internals, experiences, etc.

Thanks,

Link to product on S&W [hopefully it works]

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766386_-1_757754_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Ranger325
08-01-2011, 11:06
I've had one for several years and not had any issues with it. It eats all the factory and my handloads I've fed it to include lead SWCs. I have not taken it thru a class, but plenty of local range time and a few IDPA club matches.

I picked it up when looking for a Cdr sized 1911 and am very pleased with it. Functions well and is a light and comfortable carry piece. I'm not a FCS fan, but don't have an issue with them on this pistol.

But...............wow, that MSRP!! Much higher than when I bought.

Good luck and regards,

fnfalman
08-01-2011, 11:45
Interesting. They took the Raven away from the grip.

Anyway, I bought mine several years back for $420 from a person who didn't want it any longer. It's a decent pistol, but it doesn't seem to distinguish itself from any thing. Accuracy is about average. Reliable enough, but that's what I'd expect from any factory M1911. Decent trigger but nothing to wow me about. The light weight is nice.

Something about SW M1911 that doesn't do it for me. The steel feels "tinny".

Ranger325
08-01-2011, 11:52
Interesting. They took the Raven away from the grip.

Its on the other grip panel...................at least mine is.

Regards,

TexasPOff
08-03-2011, 19:52
I am also interested in opinions on this one. I located a brand new one in the box at a local hole in the wall shop. I can pick it up at a reasonable price, just trying to decide if it is a 1911 worth having. TXPO.

glock2740
08-03-2011, 19:57
I like my Gunsite 1911 for sure, but it's not a S&W. :cool:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/BaerGSP010.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/BaerGSP008.jpg

TexasPOff
08-04-2011, 05:11
I like my Gunsite 1911 for sure, but it's not a S&W. :cool:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/BaerGSP010.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/BaerGSP008.jpg

:tongueout: Show off. Baer's TR is an a beautiful pistol for sure. I just can't bring myself to carry and beat up one. I wouldn't feel so bad is the S&W slid across the concrete. TXPO.

glock2740
08-04-2011, 05:37
:tongueout: Show off. Baer's TR is an a beautiful pistol for sure. I just can't bring myself to carry and beat up one. I wouldn't feel so bad is the S&W slid across the concrete. TXPO.
:) I can't bring myself to carry that one. I know it would give it alot of character with a bunch of wear marks, but I have kinda relegated it to safe queen status. It isn't like I can just pick up another one on Bud's. :cool:

fnfalman
08-04-2011, 17:33
I am also interested in opinions on this one. I located a brand new one in the box at a local hole in the wall shop. I can pick it up at a reasonable price, just trying to decide if it is a 1911 worth having. TXPO.

If you can get one at a good price, then get it.

It's not a bad gun, it's just that SW M1911 and me don't jive. I still have it but it's pretty much a safe queen for me. It's the equivalence of a fancied up lightweight Commander but with the cool Raven markings.

TexasPOff
08-05-2011, 13:03
I went and checked it out. It was brand new in the box. I was less than impressed with this particular one though. The grip safety had a cavern between it and the frame. The safety was terrible, no resistance at all engaging it and very little going off. I could actually see where it looked as if it had been stoned by someone other than S&W. The trigger had a horrendous amount of play vertically. Minor things to some, but I have seen some Smith 1911's that the fit and finish was much better. And for 900 I expect a pistol with a better fit and finish. I handled a Dan Wesson Guardian, in 9mm and I was completely blow away by this pistol. At the price point, they were asking $1299, it is an absolute steal. If they would have had the 45 then I would be the proud owner. As it stands I will get a call from them when the next 45 example arrives. TXPO.

Ranger325
08-05-2011, 13:43
Sorry to hear it didn't work out - I agree, those issues are unacceptable.
Good luck with the next one............

Regards,

lsbbigdog
08-05-2011, 13:51
I went and checked it out. It was brand new in the box. I was less than impressed with this particular one though. The grip safety had a cavern between it and the frame. The safety was terrible, no resistance at all engaging it and very little going off. I could actually see where it looked as if it had been stoned by someone other than S&W. The trigger had a horrendous amount of play vertically. Minor things to some, but I have seen some Smith 1911's that the fit and finish was much better. And for 900 I expect a pistol with a better fit and finish. I handled a Dan Wesson Guardian, in 9mm and I was completely blow away by this pistol. At the price point, they were asking $1299, it is an absolute steal. If they would have had the 45 then I would be the proud owner. As it stands I will get a call from them when the next 45 example arrives. TXPO.

Unfortunately from what I hear S&W doesn't have any Gunsmiths on production guns anymore. It's all done by assembler so all parts drop in and no parts are fitted.

I swap out quite a few triggers on S&W 1911's

fnfalman
08-05-2011, 21:35
I find it most disappointing that Gunsite would put their logo on this gun and the new Colt Gunsite.

Back in the days, at least their own smithies had worked on the guns and not just made arrangements with SW and Colt to have certain guns with certain accessories that somehow constituted a "Gunsite" pistol.

TexasPOff
08-05-2011, 21:58
Unfortunately from what I hear S&W doesn't have any Gunsmiths on production guns anymore. It's all done by assembler so all parts drop in and no parts are fitted.

I was dissapointed, I was looking forward to picking it up. Just didn't seem worth it. Purchasing a $900 pistol and having to put some work into it to get it acceptable to me. The space between the frame and the grip safety is what killed it for me. Tis ok though as I look forward to picking up the DW guardian when it comes in. TXPO.

JudgeRoyBean
08-07-2011, 21:53
I find it most disappointing that Gunsite would put their logo on this gun and the new Colt Gunsite.

Back in the days, at least their own smithies had worked on the guns and not just made arrangements with SW and Colt to have certain guns with certain accessories that somehow constituted a "Gunsite" pistol.

The gun industry has grown to large to offer the personalized service we were used to back twenty or more years ago.

Medic883
08-10-2011, 08:16
I'm one payment away from picking up my sw1911 with the tac rail. I can't wait to shoot this gun! I decided to get it after a good friend talked his up for about 3 months. He's yet to have a problem with his. I'm sure the PD version is quality.

Feanor
08-10-2011, 13:56
I don't like the melonite treatment to stainless steel, I think it degrades the chromium content, reducing it's ability to resist corrosion.

bac1023
08-10-2011, 14:15
I prefer all steel 1911s.

Short Cut
08-10-2011, 17:18
I was looking for a high quality lightweight commander and the choices are limited here in CA. So I bought a SW GS and felt it was just ok. The trigger had a lot of play up and down and in and out. It was reliable enough, but it was really no different in build quality from the run of the mill SW 1911PD commander I had before the GS.

Finally ended up jumping through some loopholes and got a Baer Concept X. It is what I had hoped the GS would be.

fnfalman
08-10-2011, 20:36
I don't like the melonite treatment to stainless steel, I think it degrades the chromium content, reducing it's ability to resist corrosion.

I think it's asinine to coat stainless steel with anything. If you're going to coat a steel substrate, then why bother starting out with stainless steel? Might as well stick with the cheaper carbon steel and save a few bucks.

glock2740
08-10-2011, 20:50
I prefer all steel 1911s.
This, from a guy who CC's an aluminum framed 4" 1911...:whistling:

:tongueout: :rofl:

fnfalman
08-10-2011, 21:18

Neither the SW Gunsite nor the current Colt Gunsite are smithed guns. They are both off-the-factory-line guns.

Anyway, compare between the current Colt's fit & finish versus SW fit & finish, I'll take the Colt. Yes, just like others have said, the trigger does move around quite a bit and the steel just feel "funny". I can't quantify it, but it has a weird "zing" to the steel, which reminds me of the NORINCO M1911A1.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Thanksgiving016-1.jpg