Bear bombs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bear bombs?

JML2365
08-01-2011, 12:47
Anyone ever use the Buck Bomb brand Bear bombs for bear hunting? They make them in hickory smoke bacon, anise oil (black licorice) and cake icing etc. Just wondering what type of success (or not) you have had with them and if I need to pick up a few before I go in the later half of Sept.

sourdough44
08-05-2011, 09:48
Are you talking about in reference to establishing a bait site? If so some scent is good, especially starting out, but nothing trumps location. Prime factors are a secluded spot with plenty of thick, dark, damp cover away from human activity. I have used 'scent balls' from bearscents.com in the past, like a bear popsicle. They gave off some good scent, though once the bears are coming in no need for fancy scents, just good munchies.

JML2365
08-07-2011, 00:53
We are going on a do it yourself hunt in September in northeast MN. The outfitter baits and puts up the stands and we do the rest. The bait sites will have already been set up. I have been reading about these buck bomb scents and a lot of people use them for deer as both attractants and cover scent. I have read a little about them for bear and of course every hunting show on TV uses them. You can't judge the effectiveness of a product by a TV show since the products they use are the same ones that sponsor them and they need to make them look good to sell more products. I was thinking of using it more as a cover scent rather than an attractant.

smokeross
08-07-2011, 08:54
Up here, we use hand grenades.

sourdough44
08-11-2011, 04:17
If the outfitter baits & puts up the stands, that's most of the setup. You don't really need any additional 'bear scent' or other 'attractant'. You would want to be scent free as possible, you & your clothes, & watch the wind/breezes. The main thing is having the bears coming in at a good location, where they are comfortable with a daytime visit.

Now if you wanted some scented spray to use around your site I don't see any problem with that(or other similar product).