I would like to praise the officer that arrested me. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I would like to praise the officer that arrested me.

juggy4711
08-01-2011, 15:09
On the morning of July 31st, 2011, I was awoke by a knock at my door. It turned out to be the local PD's warrant officer as I had outstanding tickets that had become warrants for my arrest. Groggy from the night before I immediately began to complain asking if the officer did not have something better to do than arrest non-violent offenders with traffic warrants. I also acknowledged that I did not personally blame him, he was just doing his job and I was just venting against a system that has it priorities all wrong.

So how did the officer react to this criticism? He treated me like a fellow human being. He allowed me to get properly dressed, let my dog out to do her business, let me make sure she had food and water, and even allowed me to smoke a cigarette before handcuffing me, taking me into custody and delivering me to the local jail.

Regardless of the circumstances, this was the best treatment I have ever received from a police officer and despite what I believe to be a wasted application of department resources, the officer deserves to be praised. However, I hesitate to inform his superiors of his civil treatment of me. Will they see it in a positive light as I do, or will it just get him in hot water?

I know I got the tickets, didn't pay on time, the warrants are my fault etc. This officer was a gentlemen and I just can't decide if that will get him in trouble or not. Maybe I should just go out of my way to thank him personally and not inform his bosses?

GPalmer
08-01-2011, 15:15
You know, they no longer give out bonus points for beating suspects but I'd still blow him in to his superiors! :rofl:

Phelen_Kell
08-01-2011, 15:22
Your cooperation was thanks enough. He probably didn't want to arrest you anyway.

Vigilant
08-01-2011, 15:45
Most people are quick to criticize, but slow to praise.

I would send the letter.

phred119
08-01-2011, 16:23
Agreed, complimentary letters have been few and far between for me. But I truly appreciated the one the I did get. Take the time to write a letter and send it in. If you think that the details the he allowed you to do certain things will get him in hot water, leave them out. Just a simple letter that he was polite and professional, and that you appreciate being treated with respect.

Cochese
08-01-2011, 16:28
Send a letter.

Trigger Finger
08-01-2011, 16:30
Times must be tough when they allow arrestees on Cop Talk!! :dunno:

rhikdavis
08-01-2011, 16:35
Regardless of the circumstances, this was the best treatment I have ever received from a police officer

Have alot of run ins with the po po do ya?

Markasaurus
08-01-2011, 16:42
Leave the muckety-mucks out of it! Nothing good will come for him, or you, even if you give GOOD feedback. try and thank him personally but not too hard, he might think you're a nutcase if you go overboard.

glockurai
08-01-2011, 16:58
Most people are quick to criticize, but slow to praise.

I would send the letter.

I agree. A citizen commendation will go to his file and reflect well on his evaluation.
At least that's the way it works around here.

Vigilant
08-01-2011, 17:17
It could help him in several ways. And I agree that I would leave the specifics out. I would basically just say that that I was impressed with his professionalism, and the reasonable amount of empathy that he displayed.

I promise, no jokes about ass beatings from me in this thread. :rofl:

smokeross
08-01-2011, 17:52
What the Hell, he didn't fix you breakfast while you took the dog out, and had your smoke???:tongueout: Sounds like a decent guy anyway. Real human being. Just don't piss him off.

juggy4711
08-01-2011, 20:48
Times must be tough when they allow arrestees on Cop Talk!! :dunno:

I expected at least one response like this. :upeyes:

Have alot of run ins with the po po do ya?

And like this. As a youth I had several run ins with johnny law. Sometimes I was in the wrong sometimes I wasn't. As an adult only for traffic warrants. I will admit I am no fan of the po po as you put it.

...try and thank him personally but not too hard, he might think you're a nutcase if you go overboard.

No chance of that. He asked about my younger brother who is in fact actually a certified by multiple judges nutcase. I'm way sane in comparison. Even the jailers where asking me how he was so bonkers and I wasn't :rofl:

What the Hell, he didn't fix you breakfast while you took the dog out, and had your smoke???:tongueout: Sounds like a decent guy anyway. Real human being. Just don't piss him off.

:rofl: I swear man he might as well have. I asked him for his name while he was cuffing me. He responded and then I told him that I felt like I should call whoever usually takes complaints on an officer, and instead compliment him. He reiterated that he was just doing his job.

...I would basically just say that that I was impressed with his professionalism, and the reasonable amount of empathy that he displayed...

In closing I appreciate the advice. As recommended, I'm going to send his superiors an email and a letter indicating what Vigilant said leaving out the details. Again, I want to praise this officer without getting him in trouble.

mikegun
08-01-2011, 20:49
Believe me, in my old Dept a nice letter goes a long way in helping a carrear along, send it and thanks, for being a good american

Vigilant
08-01-2011, 20:51
I expected at least one response like this. :upeyes:

And like this. As a youth I had several run ins with johnny law. Sometimes I was in the wrong sometimes I wasn't. As an adult only for traffic warrants. I will admit I am no fan of the po po as you put it.

No chance of that. He asked about my younger brother who is in fact actually a certified by multiple judges nutcase. I'm way sane in comparison. Even the jailers where asking me how he was so bonkers and I wasn't :rofl:

:rofl: I swear man he might as well have. I asked him for his name while he was cuffing me. He responded and then I told him that I felt like I should call whoever usually takes complaints on an officer, and instead compliment him. He reiterated that he was just doing his job.

In closing I appreciate the advice. As recommended, I'm going to send his superiors an email and a letter indicating what Vigilant says above leaving out the details. Like I said I want to praise this officer without getting him in trouble.

Good on you, man. :thumbsup:

juggy4711
08-01-2011, 21:21
Believe me, in my old Dept a nice letter goes a long way in helping a carrear along, send it and thanks, for being a good american

I appreciate that but is respect for LEOs a uniquely American sentiment? As I admitted I am no fan of the police. While I respect you for the risks you undertake, I understand the need for your existence, and would rather not live in a world without you; I can't help but look to laws that many of us find unjust and unconstitutional. That if it were not for law enforcement, more often than not at the local level, willing to enforce them, those laws would never effect our lives.

I'm really not trying to take a shot here. That is just how I feel. :dunno:

Your cooperation was thanks enough. He probably didn't want to arrest you anyway.

I hear you but my cooperation wasn't enough. I genuinely feel like he wasn't into to it but heck it is what it is, and I think you guys get a bad rap. Every time something goes out of the ordinary it's front page news and y'all get the blame. Nine times out of ten (and often more just an expression) y'all are in the right.

As I said I'm not your biggest fan but I fear a world without you. And as anathema as it may feel, I would encourage you to enforce the law only as it meets the Constitution and your conscious. The letter of the law is not always just, and its execution is not always judicious.

May God protect you all.

NC Bullseye
08-01-2011, 21:51
Did ya count your silverware after you were out with the dog?

smokeross
08-01-2011, 21:54
Almost makes me WANT to get arrested. Only thing is I don't know if they could get both my arms behind my back without the assistance of a chiropractor or some pain pills. Damn is sucks getting old.

El_Ron1
08-01-2011, 23:22
Where am I?

smokeross
08-01-2011, 23:48
Where am I?
Your under arrest. Now the only question is, are you going quietly like Juggy, or do we make a suitcase out of you?

juggy4711
08-02-2011, 00:02
Your under arrest. Now the only question is, are you going quietly like Juggy, or do we make a suitcase out of you?

LOL. When they asked for my socks I immediately thought of Alice's Restaurant.

lawman800
08-02-2011, 00:48
Good to hear, and like everyone says, just a simple letter saying the officer was professional and courteous and you wanted to let the department know they have a good employee. The end.

knoxvegasdaddy
08-02-2011, 01:32
Did ya count your silverware after you were out with the dog?

That's not nice.

Bruce M
08-02-2011, 05:50
A general letter would probably be nice, but if anyone I worked around got a letter that included letting dog out, getting dog food, etc. I would be very concerned about the officer's safety skills. You may well be a nice guy but to depend on that and to allow someone who knows he is going to be arrested essentially unfettered access to any number of potentially hidden weapons or escape routes seems very unsafe to me.

awoodpd13
08-02-2011, 06:25
Send a letter.

Send it to him, or at least send him a copy if you send the original to the administration...I know of at least 2 complementary letters sent to the administration concerning me (I received copies) that the administration "never received", and thus never found their way into my file...:steamed:

MeefZah
08-02-2011, 06:29
It could help him in several ways. And I agree that I would leave the specifics out. I would basically just say that that I was impressed with his professionalism, and the reasonable amount of empathy that he displayed.

Yeah, be careful detailing exactly what he did, some of that might have been outside policy - and getting jammed up for doing the right thing is just as easy as getting jammed up for doing the wrong thing.

To paraphrase Billy Madison, a simple thank you will suffice.

lpo
08-02-2011, 06:52
Send him a strippergram. It's the right thing to do.

skorper
08-02-2011, 09:14
My conduct during arrests have been based on my instincts in each situation. Been that way my whole career and it's served me well.

But if that is his standard operating procedure during an arrest it's going to get him killed one day.

smokeross
08-02-2011, 09:36
My conduct during arrests have been based on my instincts in each situation. Been that way my whole career and it's served me well.

But if that is his standard operating procedure during an arrest it's going to get him killed one day.
I picked up 2 things from the OP. Cop knew him and his brother. Cop seemed like he had been around the block more than once. Pretty sure he knew he wouldn't have to 'take him at gunpoint.' Otherwise there would have been a swat team and the door busting in would have been the first thing he heard.

skorper
08-02-2011, 10:09
[QUOTE=smokeross;17717896]I picked up 2 things from the OP. Cop knew him and his brother. Cop seemed like he had been around the block more than once. Pretty sure he knew he wouldn't have to 'take him at gunpoint.'

Absolutely.

Just wanted the OP to realize that he's not doing the cop any favors by letting anyone know that he let an unsecured subject wander around the house after telling him he's under arrest.

JudgeRoyBean
08-02-2011, 10:28
Send a letter to him and a carbon copy his superiors.

jpa
08-02-2011, 11:20
You mean he didn't offer an "alternative cash bail option"? Sorry, this thread fails if tasers and OC weren't applied....

I kid, but good for you for going with the program and good for him for not being a prick.

Doc8404
08-02-2011, 11:31
send him flowers and some candy

cowboywannabe
08-02-2011, 12:33
if you see a "suspect" getting a beat down from the cops, 99.9% of the time its needed. so few people realize that.

the way a "suspect" goes in is usually up to them.

treat a man like a man, treat a dog like a dog, but they are going in.

i prefer to talk folks into handcuffs but they dont always see it that way. thats when the ugliness comes out, and thats what they put on youtube....the one time out of a 100 that you have to lay hands on somebody and all of a sudden some self appointed revolutionary anarchist type seems it as a systemic problem in today's L.E.

drop the guy a thank you note, believe me, he will pass it up to the command, otherwise he may never know you appreciated his courtesy.

nikerret
08-03-2011, 17:51
As recommended, I'm going to send his superiors an email and a letter indicating what Vigilant said leaving out the details. Again, I want to praise this officer without getting him in trouble.

:thumbsup:

Good story!

Vigilant
08-03-2011, 19:26
Yeah, be careful detailing exactly what he did, some of that might have been outside policy - and getting jammed up for doing the right thing is just as easy as getting jammed up for doing the wrong thing.

To paraphrase Billy Madison, a simple thank you will suffice.

Exactly. Start your letter out with the words, "I come to praise Officer XXX, not to bury him". :supergrin:

Gulfcop
08-06-2011, 14:57
I work in Galveston county and we thank you for cooperation. Glad you had a pleasant experience given the situation...........