New surefire lights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New surefire lights

Jwatts02
08-01-2011, 20:12
I am in the need for a new light for duty (old dept required theirs back when I left) and was considering the 511 light for life, mid size. Then I stumbled onto he la police gear site and they had some new surefire rechargeable ones "coming in late '11". Any know where I can find out more? There is nothin on surefire's site.

Thanks

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Agent6-3/8
08-01-2011, 20:34
Just a thought, but unless you're looking for a small tactical light I'm a fan of a good, heafty, rechargeable light like the Streamlight SL-20X. They make for an excellent improvised impact weapon that is always in your hands and at the ready from dusk till dawn.

I know thats not exactly what you asked, just offering some food for though.

collim1
08-01-2011, 21:02
I carry a Streamlight Stinger and a spare battery. I have a Surefire E2e and 6p, but my dept doesn't pay for CR123 batteries.

DaBigBR
08-01-2011, 22:44
I'm still an SL20 guy, albeit a polymer SL20 guy. We have the 5.11 LFL in our cars, and I actually really like it, but think the barrel is just a little thick and not grippy enough for my tastes. I would like to try the smaller LFL.

In belt/pocket sized lights:

Rechargeable: Streamlight Strion LED
Traditional: Streamlight Polytac LED

RocPO
08-01-2011, 22:57
If youre looking for a larger light, the 511 is awesome. I have one in my bag but I keep a strion and the new surefire g2x for when I forget the 511

Cav
08-01-2011, 23:48
I hope the Surefires do well. In 2000-01 we got some Surefire rechargeables in and they sucked. Problems recharging, over heating, bulbs going out or getting to hot. I thought it was sad, because their CR123 battery lights were awsome on our weapons at that time.

A few later a few people I knew tried them and they did not like their rechargeables either.

Maybe they have a winner now. I look forward to seeing how they do.

Ship A'Hoy
08-02-2011, 04:59
I love the SL Polytac LED. Small, and plenty of bright light.

I also carry a backup SureFire E1B.

For traffic I use a Streamlight Stinger DS LED with a orange cone.

Kahr_Glockman
08-02-2011, 05:02
I hope the Surefires do well. In 2000-01 we got some Surefire rechargeables in and they sucked. Problems recharging, over heating, bulbs going out or getting to hot. I thought it was sad, because their CR123 battery lights were awsome on our weapons at that time.

A few later a few people I knew tried them and they did not like their rechargeables either.

Maybe they have a winner now. I look forward to seeing how they do.

I worked with a guy that had a SureFire rechargable. It was a cool light, but the buld exploded one night on a traffic, and the woman that he had stopped thought they were being shot at.

He ditched the light after that.

spyd3r05
08-02-2011, 06:07
The small 5.11's are pretty nice, two of my squadmates have one.. I like it, again I also have a strion led which i like too. Both for all intents are the same brightness... the 5.11 is bigger but lighter than the strion (if i recall correctly.)

SCSU74
08-02-2011, 10:37
I always thought the 5.11 lights looked really funny. I use a Strion and love it. It's very small, rechargeable, and works great.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=154

Spydermonkey
08-02-2011, 11:17
I carry a Streamlight Stinger and a spare battery. I have a Surefire E2e and 6p, but my dept doesn't pay for CR123 batteries.

This won't work for the incan Surefire lights but if you have an E2DL or similar SF led light here's the solution I've found:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/6rcr123a-combo.html

Don't use these with incan SF lights or the bulbs will go *poof*

nitesite10mm
08-02-2011, 11:27
While I don't have a Surefire, I don't think that brand can be any better than Pelican. The 8060 and its smaller version the 7060 are just awesome. American Made and Lifetime Warranty, too! Unbelieveable run times for a rechargeable IMHO.

I have the larger 5.11 light and while I do use it every shift, I always grab the 8060 first. The 5.11 has a very diffused area of illuminated flood with no central hot spot which is good for some things and not so good for others.

The 8060 has a surgically precise white hot center with no dark spots, and a perfect circle of flood surrounding it. I've never seen another light like it anywhere. And is an excellent impact tool as well.

Would you like to see a beam shot of the two in comparison?

txleapd
08-02-2011, 11:30
I am seriously disappointed by the lack of Surefire love in this thread. Didn't any of you get the memo? Surefire is the absolute best, and if you don't have 20 of them, you're no operator!

:tongueout:

Jwatts02
08-02-2011, 16:55
Well after hearing about the rechargeable surefire lights sucking the last time (must be why they stopped making them) I think I will pass on the fresh release ones. I have one of the eb1 backups and I carry it pretty much 24/7, it's great. I might have to check out the pelican, and a couple of the stream lights. I have played with a couple of the smaller stingers and didn't really like them.

nitesite10mm
08-02-2011, 17:54
Here are my three primary lights, with the full-size 5.11 UC3.400 Light in the center and the Pelican 8060 on the left. That's an O-Light M30 700-lumen on the right. All are good lights but of the three I really prefer the 8060.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/nitesite9/MY-FLASHLIGHTS.jpg

The 90-lumen LFL is good for room searches and close quarters because the other two are just too damned bright, plus the 5.11 light is more diffused and has an even flood from top/bottom, left/right.

If it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, I'll go ahead and say it:

Having one flashlight is nowhere near adequate, two is better, but still questionable.

While I'm at the extreme edge of having any common sense (with seven lights if you count a Streamlight Stylus in a breast pocket) I urge the OP to consider getting two distinctly different lights for everyday use.

Jwatts02
08-02-2011, 18:03
Right now I have the eb1 back up that I carry clipped in my left front pocket. I also have another surefire that uses cr123's that I can carry as a back up to a back up. I am looking for a primary light that is rechargeable, since cr123s get expensive after slot of use. I need to find a place with an inventory of lights to check out since the local shop only has 4 stocked.

collim1
08-02-2011, 18:15
This won't work for the incan Surefire lights but if you have an E2DL or similar SF led light here's the solution I've found:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/6rcr123a-combo.html

Don't use these with incan SF lights or the bulbs will go *poof*

I might look into that. My E2E handheld and G2 that is mounted on my carbine are incadescant. My 870 foreend and 6p are LED. The 6p gets used alot, I might look into the rechargeables.

nitesite10mm
08-02-2011, 19:39
jwatts02,

Here are the beamshots I mentioned earlier. L-R is

190-Lumen Pelican 8060, rated for 6-hrs
90-Lumen 5.11 UC3.400, rated for 1-hr
700-Lumen O-Light M30, rated for 1.5 hrs

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/nitesite9/beamshot.jpg

Each has it's strengths and weaknesses, as does Surefire, Fenix, MagLight, Streamlight, etc. Nothing is perfect and a lot just comes down to personal preference.

Jwatts02
08-02-2011, 20:01
That pelican looks like it has some throw to it. After looking at it, I like how if it dies, you can throw in some C batteries and you are good for another 6 (some say 11) hours. Do you know if they make the traffic wand adapters for the 8050?

Spydermonkey
08-02-2011, 21:39
I might look into that. My E2E handheld and G2 that is mounted on my carbine are incadescant. My 870 foreend and 6p are LED. The 6p gets used alot, I might look into the rechargeables.

Theres always led drop-ins for the G2. I have led drop-ins for my G2, G2Z, and 6P. Solarforce or dealextreme have them for <$20

nitesite10mm
08-03-2011, 11:33
Jwatts2,

Sorry to keep jumping in here about trivial crap, but if you look at the beamshot pic I posted, and look up at the the 12 o'clock point and move your eyes down and right you can see the distinct corona/flood pattern from the Pelican light even over the other two spills. I ain't ever seen any light like it. Okay, I'm a fanboy. I'll shut up now.

boomhower
08-03-2011, 12:26
We started getting the 5.11's in our new cars last year and have been having a ton of problems with them, mostly not wanting to charge. Personally, I'll stick with a tried and trued maglite but would prefer to have an LED conversion on it.

Sharky7
08-03-2011, 13:43
Jwatts2,

Sorry to keep jumping in here about trivial crap, but if you look at the beamshot pic I posted, and look up at the the 12 o'clock point and move your eyes down and right you can see the distinct corona/flood pattern from the Pelican light even over the other two spills. I ain't ever seen any light like it. Okay, I'm a fanboy. I'll shut up now.

Does your wife know you are cheating on her with your flashlights? :supergrin:

Patchman
08-03-2011, 15:49
Jwatts2,

I did as you instructed but all I see are a herd of unicorns around a pool of water. With pixies hovering on the upper left corner. :supergrin:

Sharky7
08-03-2011, 16:46
I did as you instructed but all I see are a herd of unicorns around a pool of water. With pixies hovering on the upper left corner. :supergrin:

Relax your eyes and Will Smith will come to you. Not like Independence Day Will Smith, I am talking "I whistled to a cab and when it came near, the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror" Will Smith.

http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/images/illusions/pinkdots.gif

actionshooter10
08-03-2011, 21:18
I carry the 5.11 lfl as my primary. It's a great light for close work but lacks the throw needed to id something more than 25-50 yards away. I carry it because I do more close work at night than anything else and you can't beat the 90 second recharge.

That said, I keep the streamlight stinger in my bag for the occasions that I ned a light that will reach out and touch something. It's also a great light but it's much heavier and takes 2-3 hours to charge when depleted.