Working special events... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Working special events...

Rabbi
08-01-2011, 20:46
What kind of special events have you worked? Which ones did you like and which ones did you not like?

I will be working my first one soon....it will be a long hot day at a county fair type event.

Someone here should have some good event stories.

Agent6-3/8
08-01-2011, 20:56
Most bizzare was when I was detailed to babysit a HS prom. I could have sworn a few of the girls were headed to their night job at one of the local strip clubs after prom...

Milltown
08-01-2011, 21:00
I haven't worked any special events yet, but am do to work one this Saturday. Big festival with a parade and fireworks and stuff going on all day. I'll end up working as an auxiliary to the local municipality because they really don't have the man power for the amount of people that attend the festival.

I'll end up working from 0700-2300. Should be fun even though I have had no field training at all, not even a ride along. But they'll give me the spare truck and send me on my way, I just hope to look like I know what I am doing to all the people around me.

msu_grad_121
08-01-2011, 21:06
Fireworks, parades, football games and HS dances, a few large family reunions and such. Seems the fireworks and reunions were the biggest PITAs I came across. Heat, booze and lots of people. Great combination.

On the other hand, parades were a pain due to drivers always wanting to cut thru, and the inevitable arguments that cme with that crap.

toddmog
08-01-2011, 21:37
County fair...it's okay because it's paid
Town carshow...also okay...not paid, but lots of cool cars to see
HS games...probably my favorite...getting to know the students
Today, I worked on site for the filming of Extreme Makeover Home Edition...it was stupid hot at around 109* and Ty Pennington was the least friendly of all the designers/stars.

Unistat
08-01-2011, 22:05
I am not a LEO, but I used to work for a small (pop. 28,000) city. My job was at a museum, but we were also part of the Special Event staff. I've worked plenty of special events and they all suck on some level. Some have fun bits that make it ok, but others are pure hell.

The worst were the 4th of July Fireworks. So many low class people (10,000) packed into such a small park (one and a half blocks). Most of these folks were from outside the city, but it was so bad. The highlight of one year was the fight and stabbing. Yes, those mooks tried to come back the next year and yes, an officer recognized them and sent them packing.

I personally couldn't stand what we called the gypsies. They would come to sell their crap without a vendor license. The police were too busy keeping fights from breaking out and watching out for booze and trouble makers that they didn't have the man power for petty rip-off artists. The event staff had to chase them off. The drunk cotton candy seller was my favorite. I thought he was going to pull a knife on me after I didn't take his bribe.

The best year was when the PD got a grant to pay for OT for some county deputies and officers from a neighboring city. They also used the Explorers for all our events and those kids really did a good job.

Sometimes I really miss it! LOL!

PinkoCommie
08-01-2011, 22:15
Football games, basketball games, etc. (I work for a large University PD). Those are a pain, but the OT is good. Fireworks can be fun or not -- my favorite was one year when my buddy and I were right in the fallout zone on mountain bikes. Had to dodge a few embers, but had the best seat in the house for enjoying the show!

madecov
08-01-2011, 22:39
Houston live stock show and Rodeo, followed by the Final Four
It was horrible

DaBigBR
08-01-2011, 22:49
We're within hand grenade range of a large university football stadium. Six or seven days a year, we see about 80k-100k extra people pass through town and about half of those tailgate in town. I usually end up working 16-18 hours on those days and twelve hours the day before with only about a five hour turn around...so call it 28-30 hours in a 36 hour period. It used to be fun, but the last couple years it has been a real drain. This will be my ninth year of it starting early next month. Ugh...a month out already.

bccop
08-02-2011, 00:20
direct traffic at movie scenes, UFC events, concerts, football games,large public gatherings, demonstrations, hockey games... even one that ended in a riot. :cool:

lawman800
08-02-2011, 00:44
I love special gigs. Those were my, ummm... specialty.

I signed up for all of them just so I can get out of the car and walk a footbeat once in a while and get to interact more with the people.

I've done:

high school football games
high school dances (homecoming, prom, etc.)
college football games
college basketball games
college volleyball games
public safety fair
municipal celebrations (library grand opening, July 4th, annual autumn festival, etc.)
Rose Parade traffic control (cold and miserable but the pay was great)
Marathon traffic control (LA Marathon, charity 5k, etc.)
Ride for Charity (various foundations)
Stake-outs (when the dicks were overloaded)
Community outreach/crime prevention/awareness
Driver Safety instruction (for senior citizens)

I'm sure there are more but whatever was out there, I volunteered for it.

MeefZah
08-02-2011, 06:26
Most entertaining detail I work is a off duty security special detail at a fireworks store around the 4th of July. Ohio has an oddball law that for 2 weeks prior to July 4th, and 1 day after it, armed security has to work in all fireworks stores in the state. This is in response to an incident about 10 years ago when an MRDD went into a fireworks store in eastern Ohio and lit the ****er up; killed 6 people.

Anyway, I have a buddy who is on another agency and we work the detail together most years, it's a chance to catch up, bull****, and make fun of people.

Every year, I continue to be amazed by the sheer number of mouth breathing imbeciles who come to the store; kids barefoot and clothed in tattered rags, cars falling apart from age and disrepair; and these morons spend more than I make in a pay period on fireworks. It's obvious they haven't a pot to piss in and yet they are spending an insane amount of money on devices that make a loud noise. Makes me wonder who is actually funding their lil' party... oh wait...:steamed: There are a few obviously well to do people who filter in and drop some cabbage; last year was the record - 1 guy, a U Haul, and $16,000 worth of fireworks. Probably I should have called homeland security on that one... :whistling:

scottydl
08-02-2011, 08:20
Major concerts are the best, because at least there's some entertainment built in. I've worked Harry Connick, Jr. (great musician and band), Lone Star, Cher, George Jones. Also magician David Copperfield, who is VERY secretive and particular about who sees backstage - even cops. And comedian Mike Epps, who was high as a kite when he came backstage... I shoulda gotten a search warrant for the tour bus. :upeyes:

pgg00
08-02-2011, 08:53
NASCAR, NHRA, and some other races. A few concerts and such also.

Hoser423
08-02-2011, 09:48
4th of July parades and/or fireworks EVERY year, both PITAs, but cool to be out with lots of decent taxpayers in a good mood. We also have a medium big fair but nobody under 15 years on touches that$$$.

Presidential details a few times... one shift guarding "W"'s hotel stairway, one on top of a bridge watching rooftops near the motorcade ZZZZ, 2 general outer perimeter crowd control. Those are always cool. I've done nothing really in the big sports or Hollywood categories.

HINT--- If you see a detail that always attracts the most senior officers... try and snag a spot. They've learned which are fun/easy and which are torture.

jolly roger
08-02-2011, 18:46
Quite a few concerts. Met ZZ Top, the Stones, Neil Young, a few others who were complete a**h***s. Those guys were cool though. A lot of ball games, Presidential details Reagan, Bushes, Clinton...and recently Obama...almost didn't mention that one :)

SAR
08-02-2011, 18:54
Our special events run along the lines of the Academy Awards, the Grammy Awards, movie premieres, etc. I will work them on an on-duty basis, but I'm not real big on working them on an off-duty contract basis. The last one I actually worked on an off-duty contract basis was the NBA All Stars, and that was enough.

lndshark
08-02-2011, 19:09
With the exception of our Christmas parade, most special event details are in the summer. During the day. Humid, hot Michigan summers...why did I leave SoCal? Got one coming up this weekend. Oh well, it all pays the same! :rofl:

madecov
08-02-2011, 21:47
Are you guys talking paid on duty or Off duty extra job type of stuff ?

Rabbi
08-02-2011, 21:55
Are you guys talking paid on duty or Off duty extra job type of stuff ?

I was taking about off duty details in particular.

For me (as a Reserve in Texas) I am, by statute, 100% a fully sworn peace officer 24/7...with one exception. I can only work off duty jobs that come through the department. (so says the Texas AG...)

I pass on these gigs as I dont need the money and the full time guys can have them. (thus I have yet to work one) However, we ran out of full time guys and I was asked (thus I am now going to do one)

I just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts on them.

madecov
08-02-2011, 22:00
I was taking about off duty details in particular.

For me (as a Reserve in Texas) I am, by statute, 100% a fully sworn peace officer 24/7...with one exception. I can only work off duty jobs that come through the department. (so says the Texas AG...)

I pass on these gigs as I dont need the money and the full time guys can have them. (thus I have yet to work one) However, we ran out of full time guys and I was asked (thus I am now going to do one)

I just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts on them.

I avoid those types of jobs as an extra job. I prefer my nice quiet out of the way banks and stores.

lawman800
08-02-2011, 23:29
We don't have off-duty per se if we are in department uniform. If we are in uniform and detailed by the agency, we are on duty. If we work off duty in any capacity, it won't be in uniform and we won't be representing the department as LEO's. We will still be LEO's due to our 24 hour status but not as on duty department representatives.

The Rose Parade gig was kinda different though because the host city Pasadena contracts with other PD's to provide uniform officers to assist their city to do traffic control. We are in our own agency's uniforms and we get paid but we are enforcing laws (or at least directing traffic) in Pasadena. Never figured out how that worked.

Then there are marathons which are intercity affairs so all the cities that are involved send officers all over where the marathon goes through and I ended up working an area which was about a good solid 5 miles into another city... right around their city hall.

scottydl
08-02-2011, 23:36
We are in our own agency's uniforms and we get paid but we are enforcing laws (or at least directing traffic) in Pasadena. Never figured out how that worked.

Generally it's under a "mutual aid" clause, that essentially expands your jurisdiction to wherever you're working as long as the presiding agency requests your assistance. As long as you are certified in your home state, you can generally therefore enforce laws anywhere in the state under mutual aid.

lawman800
08-02-2011, 23:44
Very true. Never thought of that. I am used to mutual aid only in emergent circs when something crosses jurisdictional lines like a pursuit or shooting or something near the border and we call them or they call us, like that one gang shooting that happened next door.

COLOSHOOTR
08-03-2011, 00:53
I've done a little of everything from OD Traffic Grants to Security at the Amusement park. We have tons of OD jobs around here as long as they have an approved contract we can work it.

I've done...
Banks
Dept Paid Grants (Gang / Traffic)
Amusement Park
Shopping Centers
Sports Events
The big Marathons
Various Traffic Control gigs
Security for business getting threats from former employees
Parades

What I refuse to do...
Down Town Bar Security (blood money)

Patchman
08-03-2011, 05:05
The one I always marveled at was the World Cup (soccer) in either 2004 or 2005, between Argentina and Brazil. Because of a soccer game being played on the other hemisphere, there I was in some neighborhood on standby for a potential post-game riot.

At least I was on overtime.

Never got into doing any special events off-duty.

RyanNREMTP
08-03-2011, 06:04
Margarita and Salsa Festival

http://www.hotfair.com/margaritaandsalsafestival/

So glad I'm not working that night.

Kadetklapp
08-03-2011, 06:22
As far as paid OFF duty gigs, I worked at Verizon Wireless Music Center in Noblesville thru my last department doing security. We wore our department uniforms, were employed by Aramark, and our job basically entailed checking IDs at the beer booths and protecting the product and the money. While waiting in the logistics area (where the band buses park) I witnessed a roadie light up a "glass smoking device" and proceed to puff-puff-pass it around to several female groupies who gathered around to screw their way to the main performance. I began to intervene when I was flagged by the Aramark supervisor who told me to butt out and forget I saw anything. I never went back.

nikerret
08-03-2011, 18:07
...I witnessed a roadie light up a "glass smoking device" and proceed to puff-puff-pass it around to several female groupies who gathered around to screw their way to the main performance. I began to intervene when I was flagged by the Aramark supervisor who told me to butt out and forget I saw anything. I never went back.

Should have arrested the supervisor for obstructing legal process.

Kadetklapp
08-04-2011, 06:32

He was a captain of the local PD. Pitiful, huh?

nikerret
08-04-2011, 07:41
He was a captain of the local PD. Pitiful, huh?

:wavey:

lawman800
08-04-2011, 08:03
So... Did you get any action from the female fans?

Bruce M
08-04-2011, 08:43
One of the first off duty jobs I worked was also the most memorable; I worked a fall fashion show for Burdines (defunct department store. My specific job was at the door of the changing room where the lovely, gorgeous models were changing to keep the bad guys out (they were modelling furs.) :supergrin:

I also worked regularly for Miami Vice, usually the second unit, which went around and filmed background stuff. A couple times the first unit. :supergrin:

All our off duty work comes through the agency and they get a cut for administration and expenses. We take home less off duty per hour than many of the other local agencies. As a result all our off duty work is included in annual salary for FRS purposes.:supergrin: