Which Would You Bring? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which Would You Bring?

fla2760
08-01-2011, 21:20
Hi

We are flying into Philly, renting a car and visiting the wife's family in Doylestown for a few days, and then off to NYC and Long Island to see my family. This will be the first time I am flying with a firearm (US AIRWAYS) . I am bringing either my Glock 27 with night sights or Smith 642 with CT grips. I renewed my LEOSA in April for both pistol and revolver. We usually drive but the wife wants to fly this time. Which of these would you bring? Thanks.

GPalmer
08-01-2011, 21:38
If it were me, I'd bring the Glock but that's purely a preference choice, take whichever you're more comfy with.

DaBigBR
08-01-2011, 22:34
Take 'em both. If you shoot somebody that far away from home, you'll need another gun to carry.

lawman800
08-02-2011, 00:44
+1

I would carry both. Heck, I would carry a 3rd gun too, make it a shotgun or AR.

MeefZah
08-02-2011, 06:13
Take 'em both. If you shoot somebody that far away from home, you'll need another gun to carry.

Just remember: when you are shooting them, not to wield both guns simultaneously, because then you will be out both of them.:cool:

ChiefWPD
08-02-2011, 06:30
Unless you intend to show your relatives what a high-crime area looks like, or plan on frequenting areas known for their gang related activity, either or both during evening/night hours, I'd carry the 642.

smokeross
08-02-2011, 08:49
How many members in the wife's family???? Just kidding.

txleapd
08-02-2011, 08:55
Philly? Take this...

lawman800
08-02-2011, 09:51
Just remember: when you are shooting them, not to wield both guns simultaneously, because then you will be out both of them.:cool:

Unless you are being filmed and you want to look cool to impress the gangsters and girls.:whistling:

fla2760
08-02-2011, 13:52
I am considering taking the Glock 27 and 2 spare magazines thanks for the replies.I just got the Pelican 1170 for the trip, it's good case. The wife thinks I am paranoid for taking my gun while flying but what does she know.:whistling:

Just for information US AIRWAYS allows you to take up to 11 pounds of ammunition.

From THEE RANT

http://theerant.yuku.com/topic/42896/nypd-officer-shot-in-South-Beach guy was shot at his hotel.

fla2760
08-02-2011, 13:56
Philly? Take this...

LOL :supergrin:

fla2760
08-02-2011, 13:59
How many members in the wife's family???? Just kidding.[/Q

A lot and most of them are HIGH MAINTENANCE:whistling:

Morris
08-02-2011, 15:17
I was gonna say close air support but a 27 will do okay . . .

fla2760
08-11-2011, 22:12
We are back from our trip and all went well. We flew US Airways and the process of declaring the unloaded firearms and the scanning of the bag took less than 2 minutes at TIA and Philadelphia International. I had the guns, a Smith 642 and Ruger LCP in a pelican 1170 case that was in a large hard sided suitcase. I ran a length of chain though the handle of the pelican case and around the frame of the telescopic handle in the suitcase.

actionshooter10
08-12-2011, 19:19
Just curious on how you renewed your LEOSA.

collim1
08-12-2011, 19:49
I bring my jframe when I travel simply becuase I can conceal it no matter what. If I travel it usually involves dress clothes at some point. I can bring my jframe and pocket carry no matter what I am wearing and not have to leave a larger gun in the car or in a hotel room.

fla2760
08-12-2011, 21:24
Just curious on how you renewed your LEOSA.

I live in Florida and shoot the qualification every year with a FL FDLE certified instructor.

EOD3
08-12-2011, 23:46
I am considering taking the Glock 27 and 2 spare magazines thanks for the replies.I just got the Pelican 1170 for the trip, it's good case. The wife thinks I am paranoid for taking my gun while flying but what does she know.:whistling:

Just for information US AIRWAYS allows you to take up to 11 pounds of ammunition.

The last time I took a pistol (Glock 33) on a plane, they INSISTED the ammunition be in it's original container. :crazy:

fla2760
08-13-2011, 21:12
The last time I took a pistol (Glock 33) on a plane, they INSISTED the ammunition be in it's original container. :crazy:

Yes it does have to be packed in a container specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. I had some new Speer hollow points on hand so it was no problem. I will save the empty boxes from some now for future trips.

From the US Airways site

Firearms

US Airways will allow passengers to transport firearms in accordance with Federal Law.
•Items of shooting equipment will be accepted as checked baggage only.
•A passenger who presents checked baggage that contains a firearm must declare the weapon and sign a written acknowledgement that the firearm is unloaded.
•Firearms must be packed in a manufacturer’s hard–sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case, or a locked hard–sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard–sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft–sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
•Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key or lock combination retained by the passenger.
•A Firearm Unloaded Declaration form (available only at the airport) must be signed and placed inside the bag or gun case.
•Checked ammunition may not exceed 11 lbs/5 kg per person. Ammunition must be packed in the original manufacturing package or constructed of wood, fiber, plastic, or metal and provide separation for cartridges. Ammunition may be checked in the same piece of luggage as a firearm. No additional documentation is required.
•There is no limit to the number of items contained in rifle, shotgun or pistol case, up to 50 lbs/23 kg, 62 in/157 cm in maximum.
•A passenger who presents a firearm to be checked to an international destination must be in possession of all required import documentation for their international destination city and any international transit points. It is the responsibility of the passenger to acquire the required documentation from the applicable government entity prior to travel (usually a consulate or embassy). Firearms will not be accepted for transport if international import requirements have not been met.
•US Airways does not transport weapons or firearms to or from Spain

http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/baggage/specialitems.html

Here is the link to the TSA site on flying with firearms.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm