Video Card or Monitor [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Video Card or Monitor

robin303
08-01-2011, 22:55
Hey Guys,
Left my desktop on all day. Now my 24" monitor shuts off every 30 min or so. My video card is really hot but does have a fan and just wondering if my card shuts off the monitor automaticly or my card is going out. :dunno:Got tired of messing with it and now using my laptop while I let it cools off.

Thanks

Pierre!
08-02-2011, 08:05
Well, here are a couple of thoughts for you:

Do review the monitor settings on the monitor it's self. There may be a sleep mode - How it changed I cannot answer - depends on who was at home, or snuck into your house while you were away...

Check the screensaver, and disable it. Then start the timer again to see if it drops in 30 minutes still.

If it was the video card, most likely it would NOT return unless you reboot or reset the computer.

Let us know the results, and we will go from there!

HTH
Patrick

Hauptmann6
08-02-2011, 08:09
Just for giggles, take a can of air and blow out the fan and heat sink on the gfx card. Probably won't help, but it can't hurt.

Does it shut off with use? or is it just sitting there? If it's just sitting it's probably in your power settings.

Ogreon
08-02-2011, 15:02
If the previous suggestions don't help, then it can't hurt to check your cables. Well...I suppose...that you might accidentally hang yourself. I'm willing to risk it.

eracer
08-02-2011, 15:07
I've seen the fans on a couple of nVidia cards seize up lately.

Make sure yours is actually turning.