Oak Hill FL PD wiped clean.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Oak Hill FL PD wiped clean....

Fiery Red XIII
08-02-2011, 10:44
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/volusia_news/080211-oak-hill-eliminates-police-department

Red

FiremanMike
08-02-2011, 10:45
Is this the department that was just formed about 5-6 years ago?

DaBigBR
08-02-2011, 11:25
Is this the department that was just formed about 5-6 years ago?

My guess is you're thinking of the Miami Gardens PD...

FiremanMike
08-02-2011, 13:00

Ah, yes.. I am.. Thanks

eracer
08-02-2011, 13:10
I'm wondering how they determined that the pot plants in the Mayor's yard didn't belong to the Mayor...

MeefZah
08-02-2011, 21:11
The police chief and a few officers were under scrutiny for alleged illegal and odd behavior.

Investigation for allegedly odd behavior? WTF does that even mean?

DaBigBR
08-02-2011, 21:18
This is a cautionary tale for those in small town law enforcement.

Sam Spade
08-02-2011, 21:25
Maybe it was the cops. If so, problem solved.

But maybe it wasn't. If so, the city council is going to have a bit harder time getting rid of the Sheriff's Office.

Bodyarmorguy
08-02-2011, 22:19

Brother you said a mouthful. I retired from a 200 man agency a few years ago. I now work for a newly formed (less than 2 year old) Police Department that falls under the direction of the Port Authority. Oak Hill is just 30 or so miles North of us.

Our agency is 33 total sworn. We have the highest starting pay in the county plus an additional 1% for each year of prior police experience up to 10 years. The Port Authority pays 100% of the cops health, dental and vision insurance and includes a free membership at a fitness center with 4 locations within the county. The cost for dependent coverage is minimal. The cops contribute nothing to the retirement, the PA contributes 10.77% into a 401(A) that the employee manages. $100 per year boot allowance, $40 per month cell phone stipend. All of the equipment is brand new and top of the line.....despite this, some feel that we need a union to protect us......from what? There has been minimal discipline handed out in two years, nothing beyond a counseling...

We serve at the pleasure of the Port Commission.....my fear? A) A union will negotiate us right into a pay cut and benefit reduction. B) Will negotiate us right in to being disbanded and duties contracted back to the local Sheriffs Office, screwing up the best LEO gig in town.

Sorry, didn't intend to highjack the thread, just building on DaBigBR's statement.

OMG its Jason
08-02-2011, 22:29
Cape canaveral I assume. I'm local & fish out at jetty park at night (surf fishing sharks). Anyway, sounds like a good gig you have there.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

MeefZah
08-02-2011, 22:44
Brother you said a mouthful. I retired from a 200 man agency a few years ago. I now work for a newly formed (less than 2 year old) Police Department that falls under the direction of the Port Authority. Oak Hill is just 30 or so miles North of us.

Our agency is 33 total sworn. We have the highest starting pay in the county plus an additional 1% for each year of prior police experience up to 10 years. The Port Authority pays 100% of the cops health, dental and vision insurance and includes a free membership at a fitness center with 4 locations within the county. The cost for dependent coverage is minimal. The cops contribute nothing to the retirement, the PA contributes 10.77% into a 401(A) that the employee manages. $100 per year boot allowance, $40 per month cell phone stipend. All of the equipment is brand new and top of the line.....despite this, some feel that we need a union to protect us......from what? There has been minimal discipline handed out in two years, nothing beyond a counseling...

We serve at the pleasure of the Port Commission.....my fear? A) A union will negotiate us right into a pay cut and benefit reduction. B) Will negotiate us right in to being disbanded and duties contracted back to the local Sheriffs Office, screwing up the best LEO gig in town.

Sorry, didn't intend to highjack the thread, just building on DaBigBR's statement.

Where do I apply?

CAcop
08-02-2011, 22:49
Our city is having outside experts come in and evaluate the entire city and its operation. The guy evaluating the PD sent out a questionaire asking amongst other things what we thought of consolidation of services.

I pretty much told him the city counsel would never reliquish political control to the sheriff. The first time a deputy told somebody important in town the wrong thing they would be on the phone asking for the deputy to dealt with. The sheriff would tell them to **** off because only the voters matter, not some runt of a mayor.

Now if we were acting like idiots or were going to save them huge amounts of money they might have to do it.

Panzergrenadier1979
08-02-2011, 23:14

Except in PA where every department is small.... :whistling:

Kadetklapp
08-03-2011, 06:27

Yes it is. While I do not ordinarily support government sector unions, this is one case where one might have actually been useful.

In Indiana, you cannot dismiss a town marshal or merit police officer without recourse to a formal hearing/reading of charges/findings of violations by state law. I wonder why Florida doesn't have the same thing in effect?

Around here, corrupt town boards have more creative ways to run chiefs and marshals out of town on a pine rail.

DaBigBR
08-03-2011, 07:57

I would argue that could be even worse. How many of the other small agencies that butt up to each other would gladly contract to cover a city dissolving their department?

Mayhem like Me
08-03-2011, 08:17
Maybe it was the cops. If so, problem solved.

But maybe it wasn't. If so, the city council is going to have a bit harder time getting rid of the Sheriff's Office.

yup the town will fold before the Sheriff goes away..at least in Florida

Mayhem like Me
08-03-2011, 08:19

there is talk about consolidation.. and I have seen many a small town PA force dissolved and part timers used.

Cav
08-03-2011, 11:47
And next year the city council will get wiped clean by the voters...

GearGuru
08-03-2011, 14:21
No wonder they like Canaveral, Chief is a cop first type of guy. Glad you guys landed there and glad I work at a large SO.

SpoiledBySig
08-04-2011, 17:25

Correct. They were starting cops at 75,000 a year also. I have a friend who retired from West Palm beach PD who's a Sgt, there now. Apparently, they're sure not hiring right now.

The Department I started out with (Lake Worth Police Dept.) was taken over by the Palm Beach County Sheriffs Office in January 2010.

I have a good friend who's now the Chief of Clermont PD (near Orlando), I'm wondering if that department will soon be taken over by the Orange County Sheriffs Office (might be Lake County SO?).

The trend for about the past 20 years in Palm Beach and Broward Counties is having the County Sheriffs Office take over their jurisdiction.

It's all about money and what a city can possibly save these days.:faint:

Panzergrenadier1979
08-04-2011, 19:12
Correct. They were starting cops at 75,000 a year also. I have a friend who retired from West Palm beach PD who's a Sgt, there now. Apparently, they're sure not hiring right now.

The Department I started out with (Lake Worth Police Dept.) was taken over by the Palm Beach County Sheriffs Office in January 2010.

I have a good friend who's now the Chief of Clermont PD (near Orlando), I'm wondering if that department will soon be taken over by the Orange County Sheriffs Office (might be Lake County SO?).

The trend for about the past 20 years in Palm Beach and Broward Counties is having the County Sheriffs Office take over their jurisdiction.

It's all about money and what a city can possibly save these days.:faint:

I lived in Boca Raton in 2006-2007. What happens when these PDs are taken over by the Sheriff's Office? Are the original police officers fired or are they put in green uniforms and pronounced "Deputy"?

Bodyarmorguy
08-04-2011, 19:21
I lived in Boca Raton in 2006-2007. What happens when these PDs are taken over by the Sheriff's Office? Are the original police officers fired or are they put in green uniforms and pronounced "Deputy"?

As a rule, yes the Officers are absorbed into the Sheriffs Office, though I suspect that depending on the location and the economic situation of that particular area, not always the case.

I have a good friend who was a Lieutenant at Lake Worth when they were absorbed by PBCSO. He retained his rank and seniority for the purpose of shift bidding, etc. and gave them options of staying in their own retirement plan or buying into state retirement. I give credit to the Sheriff for handling that they way he did.

SpoiledBySig
08-04-2011, 19:23

They usually take most of the existing cops and make them Sheriff Deputies...most of them. The cops with a "lot of baggage" they don't hire.

Take for example Royal Palm Beach PD, when the PB County Sheriff's Office took over, there were a few that they did not take/hire because of their background,

Spydermonkey
08-04-2011, 21:16

And NY, although there was one dept that got integrated into the sheriffs dept a few years back.

Panzergrenadier1979
08-04-2011, 21:51
And NY, although there was one dept that got integrated into the sheriffs dept a few years back.

The trend in PA is for 2 or more municipalities to merge their police agencies together and create a "Regional" police department. My county currently has one regional PD though it had a second one that folded around 2000.

rookie1
08-05-2011, 22:26

If I got a take home car and could retire at 50, call me Deputy any day.

OMG its Jason
08-06-2011, 06:54
I used to work for Clermont FD and I'll tell you their FD or PD is not going to dissipate anytime soon. The city grew too big & they now have power/union.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine