Fishing in western Washington [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in western Washington

PhatGuru
02-18-2003, 21:06
I'm new to fishing and I'm having a hard time finding good places to fish in western Washington. I'm mostly interested in bass and stream trout. All I have to get out in the lakes is a canoe, so big lakes or anywhere with waves is bad. Where do you guys recommend?

Sixgun_Symphony
02-18-2003, 23:34
King county is pretty much fished out when it comes to fresh water.

I suggest squid jigging off the Des Moines, WA fishing pier between October and January at night. The humpy season is good too, but it only comes once every two years.

fajizzle nizzle
02-19-2003, 04:00
For west side streams, the forks of the Snoqualmie are the best known trout fishing. Most western washington streams are pretty poor for trout, with a fish of 12" being large. Most of the lakes on the west side are stocked with trout and there are a few managed as higher quality fisheries. My experience with a couple of the quality lakes has been rainbows in the 12-18" range with a few browns mixed in. Bass fishing is kind of so-so. Many lakes have bass; a few have better bass fishing than the rest. Bass don't get much attention around here and I have a feeling that it's better than most people think, though I haven't tried it. East of the cascades the trout and bass fishing are much better.
Steelhead and salmon are the main angling attractions on the west side.
Be sure about the regulations for each body of water you intend to fish.
Websites with Washington trout and bass fishing info:
www.washingtonlakes.com
www.gamefishin.com

fajizzle nizzle
02-19-2003, 04:09
double tap

Craigster
02-19-2003, 11:05
If I told you where my Bass spots are my fishiní buddies would use me for bait. But you might contact one of a few Small Mouth clubs in the area. The Bass and walleye fishing on the Columbia River is good but you need to know what you are doing and where to go, your canoe in the Gorge will only get you very wet or dead.

Watch for the run and try Shad fishing. When the run is on you wonít be able to count how many fish you catch. Anyone can do it and light rigs are a blast. No good to eat but a ball to catch.

And you might research Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead fishing on this side of the mountains. The last few years have been very good and getting better. Decent gear isnít that expensive and there are lot of good fishing spots from the bank until you get hooked up with someone that has a boat or get one of your own. For example last year three of us walked in to a hole and caught 6 Steelhead in 6 casts. Our total for three hours fishing was 12 fish on the bank (we kept one 12pounder for the BBQ). I landed two fish with my ultra light 5íspining rig and 6 lb. line, got spooled three times and had to go to my heavier rod because my arms got tired. Find someone who will show you a spot like that and you may forget about trout and bass.

Marty Hayes
02-19-2003, 16:39
Here in Lewis County there are several good fishing lakes. Mayfield, Mineral, Riffe, Carisle, along with the Cowlitz and Chehalis rivers for Slamon and Steelhead.

J. Parker
02-20-2003, 14:11
It's a bit of a drive but Grant county (central Washington) has some of the best fishing in the state.;f

duncan
02-22-2003, 00:32
I'm happy jsut to get out to Pine Lake in Issaquah a couple times during the season for some rainbow trout from the banks.

No boat:(

But I hear that folks like fly fishing the streams around North Bend.

02-22-2003, 03:00
It's a bit of a drive but Grant county (central Washington) has some of the best fishing in the state.

and you can go shooting afterwards out behind banks lake

Sixgun_Symphony
02-22-2003, 14:14
Originally posted by duncan
I'm happy jsut to get out to Pine Lake in Issaquah a couple times during the season for some rainbow trout from the banks.

No boat:(

But I hear that folks like fly fishing the streams around North Bend.

When I was a kid back in the 70's to early 80's we used to fish for perch at Pine Lake. It's unbelievable how much the region has changed with all the development. What used to be the deep woods are now strip malls and subdivisions.