buying food grade buckets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : buying food grade buckets

powder86
08-02-2011, 14:30
I'm buying some food grade buckets. (I already have some, but am buying some more.) I'll be buying some all-purpose bleached flour, granulated sugar, and maybe some rice. Probably Western Family brand.
First, will air tight food grade buckets be enough to store this stuff for a few years? Or will I need some Oxygen absorbers and moisture absorbers and stuff as well?
Second, is that kind of flour good for storage? As in, will it keep long and well, or is there some form of flour I should be going for? Same question for rice too. Is there some kind of rice I should be pursuing?
Does instant rice last as long as regular rice?

We'll also be stocking up on some canned goods. (Tuna, chili, beans, fruits, veggies, apple sauce.)

Other recommendations for DRY goods I should store? I figure flour, rice, and sugar is a good start. Some salt would be good. And some dry beans. Anything else, or would the rice, flour, and sugar be okay for dry goods?

kckndrgn
08-02-2011, 14:41
Flour will not/may not store long, your better off storing the wheat berries and getting a quality mill to make your own flour.
Rice, most recommend white rice, but I'm eating 3 year old brown rice with no problems, YMMV. Brown rice generally has a shorter shelf life due to more oils in the rice, white rice is "stripped down" brown rice.
Keep some dry beans on hand, rice & beans make a complete/nearly complete protein (depending on who you ask).
Salt is a must, so many uses.

Use some O2 obsorbers, I also put everything in sealed mylar, inside the sealed 5gal bucket.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-02-2011, 17:37
Most people report *about* 3 years max for flour, and that's if mylar, O2 absorber, and cool storage are used.

If you want long term storage of *flour*, you store wheat. And grind flour. Whole wheat berries will keep indefinitely in mylar/O2 absorber/cool place.

5 gallon buckets are not "air tight". mylar is.

In 5 gallon buckets we store rice, wheat(s), rolled oats, corn(s), salt, sugar, honey, beans.

Smoker
08-02-2011, 17:44
Why not a stock rotation??? Date it & rotate it __ months or weeks later..

Bolster
08-02-2011, 18:11
The book "How to Survive TEOTWAWKI" spends a lot of ink listing what foods store well, how long they store, etc. From memory, your longest storage is for unground hard winter wheat. Rice is very long also, as long as it's white rice, not brown rice (which has oils in it and it doesn't store long). Salt, sugar also have very long storage times. (Flour goes bad relatively quickly, so best to store uncracked wheat and grind it into flour when you need it. Beans don't store for too long, either.) Check out the dry-ice storage method; it takes the oxygen out of your stored food for longer storage times. Have not tried it myself; just aware of it.

Also see "Foods that Last Forever (http://urbansurvivalsite.com/foods-that-last-forever/)."

OP did not ask for this, but my post is for anyone reading the thread and wondering where to find food grade buckets (cheap). I first sourced some 5 gal food grade buckets at a restaurant supply, they wanted $15 each. Then noticed our local Home Depot sells buckets (around $4 ea?) made by ARGEE. I called the mfg who said any of Argee's WHITE buckets were food grade. Later I noticed they are labeled as such in Home Depot, if you look closely. However they told me any colored buckets would not be food grade...don't know if that was just theirs, or any manufacturers'. And of course you can scavenge from restaurants and bakeries, too, if you have the time. OK, sorry for being OT. Just leaving a bread crumb.

bdcochran
08-02-2011, 18:42
Jerky and hardtack. Dried fruits. If possible, think seriously about keeping a small garden and fruit trees. Take a local plant identification class. Stock vitamins and magnesium and potassium.

Unless you have an endless supply of propane or a wood stove, think about not baking, not cooking as you prepare.

schild
08-02-2011, 19:04
I don't hesitate to use Home Depot buckets, as long as what's inside is in a mylar bag.

UneasyRider
08-02-2011, 20:00
A good site is beprepared.com for most of your supplies and long term storage prepared foods. If you want to do it yourself you need a few things:

A Hot Jaw Clamp to seal the mylar bags.
6 gallon pails to hold the mylar bags.
Oxygen absorbers to remove Oxygen from the mylar bags.
Food to put in the mylar bags.
And of course mylar bags.

It's really easy to do, I do 10 at a time with no problem, you will find your own speed. Check out the videos on youtube for good practical advice, and some things are cheaper if you order them if they are not available in your local stores.

I admire your actions OP, some people just talk, others get it done. What would you do if you were not afraid?

Usingmyrights
08-04-2011, 10:36
Don't buy buckets. Get them for free. Ask at the grocery store deli and bakery. They usually have them for free, but you may have to ask each one, as they all aren't intagrated even though they are right next to each other. Also check out stand alone bakeries and delis. I've gotten all of mine free that way. From a small 1.5-2? gal size - a 4-4.5gal size. Don't see that actual 5gal, but I'm not complaining because they're free, and the smaller sizes easily will fit in the fridge.

fire65
08-04-2011, 14:35
I get free buckets at Walmart. Bakery has them, they had frosting in them originally. Did I mention they are FREE?

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-04-2011, 14:38
Free is relative. I know people who think paying $6 a bucket is a perfectly fine trade off to not have to clean the buckets. I have lots of ex frosting buckets. Added up, that is a lot of scrubbing. But I have time..

Mr.Pliskin
08-04-2011, 15:34
For a "few years" yes regular food grade buckets will do fine. I dump 25 pound bags of rice in buckets to use for eating. Sometimes is sits in there for a year or 2 with the bags already sitting for a year or so.

For "store and forget" food I freeze the bag for a few days, let it come back to room temperature, dump in mylar with an O2 absorber and store in bucket.

powder86
08-04-2011, 22:11
Why not a stock rotation??? Date it & rotate it __ months or weeks later..
we do this too. most of our year's supply is this.

powder86
08-04-2011, 22:29
we currently pay 50 cents for our buckets from a local fruit farm.
i want to start getting some rice for longer term storage... does instant white rice keep as long as noninstant rice?
we've currently got lots of canned goods... meats, chili, veggies, spaghetti sauces, stews, soups... no fruits yet, or canned potatoes... but they're more expensive, and am waiting on some better sales. we do have some home canned peaches and apple filling to think of it. We've got lots of pasta, juices, jello powder, lemonade powders, flour, sugar, brown sugar... it's not where we want it to be yet, but we're a young family and we're trying to build as we can.
We're trying to stock up on propane too. We want to stock up on water, but it's so bulky... so we're working on water purification methods first... and some compact water storage. (so we don't have to keep it all on hand right now, but hopefully one of our first tasks in the face of an emergency (like an approaching hurricane etc) would be to fill those water bladders. even use the local pool if we need to.)
I think our food stores and emergency preps will be as important to us, as boarding the ark was in Noah's time. I really think that someday this stuff will save the life of my family. (Not because of a zombie apocolypse or anything...) Times will get tough. Times aren't as great as they could be now, but they could be so much worse. So good to be prepared for the sake of my family. but i digress...

UneasyRider
08-05-2011, 07:25
we currently pay 50 cents for our buckets from a local fruit farm.
i want to start getting some rice for longer term storage... does instant white rice keep as long as noninstant rice?
we've currently got lots of canned goods... meats, chili, veggies, spaghetti sauces, stews, soups... no fruits yet, or canned potatoes... but they're more expensive, and am waiting on some better sales. we do have some home canned peaches and apple filling to think of it. We've got lots of pasta, juices, jello powder, lemonade powders, flour, sugar, brown sugar... it's not where we want it to be yet, but we're a young family and we're trying to build as we can.
We're trying to stock up on propane too. We want to stock up on water, but it's so bulky... so we're working on water purification methods first... and some compact water storage. (so we don't have to keep it all on hand right now, but hopefully one of our first tasks in the face of an emergency (like an approaching hurricane etc) would be to fill those water bladders. even use the local pool if we need to.)
I think our food stores and emergency preps will be as important to us, as boarding the ark was in Noah's time. I really think that someday this stuff will save the life of my family. (Not because of a zombie apocolypse or anything...) Times will get tough. Times aren't as great as they could be now, but they could be so much worse. So good to be prepared for the sake of my family. but i digress...

You might want to look into solar pasturization for the water, it's cheap to buy or make and free from then on and will make all that you need.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-05-2011, 12:02
As far as water, which I worry about more than anything, we have 3 55gal containers in the basement, rain barrels at each corner of the house, and a Big Berkey with a couple extra sets of filters. We also have a underground spring on the property in a cave. We learned in the '09 ice storm that our county water supply is good for 12-18 hours after the power goes out. Then we are on your own.

poodleshooter1
08-05-2011, 12:43
As far as water, which I worry about more than anything, we have 3 55gal containers in the basement, rain barrels at each corner of the house, and a Big Berkey with a couple extra sets of filters. We also have a underground spring on the property in a cave. We learned in the '09 ice storm that our county water supply is good for 12-18 hours after the power goes out. Then we are on your own.

What's your OPSEC like? Can others see the rain barrels?

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-05-2011, 13:35
What's your OPSEC like? Can others see the rain barrels?

Others can't even see my house. 600' snaking driveway through hardwood forest.

But I really don't worry about rain barrel security.. they weigh quite a bit, and it would be an uphill broken ground roll to get them away from the house..

poodleshooter1
08-05-2011, 14:56
Others can't even see my house. 600' snaking driveway through hardwood forest.

But I really don't worry about rain barrel security.. they weigh quite a bit, and it would be an uphill broken ground roll to get them away from the house..

That's good, but rain barrel security isn't what I was talking about. Thugs know that a guy who has that likely has more goodies inside and may decide to move into your house (after they've "disabled" you). Fortunately you are out of sight...